Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
Air_Cooled_Nut

Smile Semi-new member with a blank canvas

Hey Gang,
I'm semi-new in that I apparently registered back in 2007 but I don't remember doing so However, I do have a crappy memory...

Back-story
Due to growing kids we out-grew our 1200 sq.ft house on an 8000 sq.ft lot. In the prior house I insulated the spacious 2-car garage, re-wired it (lots of outlets), put in a 240v line for my air-compressor, lots of T8 lighting that work great in the cold weather here in upper Oregon, simple but VERY sturdy wood shelving and work bench. It was so nice having a place to work on my air-cooled VW.

Then I met my other half.

Garage space suddenly became scarce. Then kids. Though my VW always got a garage space, the other space barely held her Passat and my Goldwing. When I got my Porsche 914 (and later sold it due to lack of work...hey, it gave me two house payments), and later a Ducati, the Passat went outside and the bikes stayed in. Doing any kind of maintenance really tested my patience due to a lack of elbow room.

The missus and I finally got tired of no house and garage space. The lot size was fine for the kids to run around on and we had a TuffShed for storage (loved it, highly recommend 'em). We waffled on saving money and improving our current place -- which included seriously expanding the garage! -- or else buy a 'new' place and take on a bigger mortgage and hope to God neither of us becomes part of the unemployment statistics.

Our criteria was more square footage for her, property for me big enough to build a shop on OR have a shop already built. After a couple months looking on our own time along with having a real estate agent, we found a place. Told our realtor and she got the process moving.

In September we had our 'old' house completed for renters and moved into our 'new' house. 3000 sq.ft. of 1968 funkiness, so it sounds like a lot but it's a tri-level and kind of sectioned up so it doesn't seem really that big. The lot is 4/5 of an acre with a big garden shed (it could hold a car and then some, it also contains the pump house for our well) and A 36'x36' SHOP!!

Current day
The shop has a cement floor and R-13 insulation. It came with sheet rock and insulation for the ceiling, I just have to install it. Electrical is done though I modified it a tad, including adding a 240v circuit for my air-compressor. Lighting is 8' HO T12...apparently nice to have (aside from the humming) from what I've read so far from the Lighting & Electrical forum on here. There is a thermostat in the attic space that turns on a ventilation fan and it also came with a big ol' shop gas heater...uhm, just needs fuel piped to it

Money is tight and my shop needs finishing. Right now I'm still trying to figure out how to finish it, there's so many ideas and ways. For example, I like the idea of having the electrical circuits outside of the walls -- never thought of that before even though I've seen it at other professional shops. I dunno, many options. It needs to be a functional garage as well, not something that only holds toys. I love German cars and Italian design so was thinking of having one wall for each nationality. Uhg, what to do...

Here's what I have to work with. Excuse the messiness but we're still 'moving in' to our house and getting things organized -- we're both engineers with Type A personalities

My first task will be sheet-rocking every thing then from there...open canvas.

Last edited by Air_Cooled_Nut; 01-14-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Air_Cooled_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
tfreer85

Default Re: Semi-new member with a blank canvas

Looks like a great start!!
tfreer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
ejm1961Tbird

Congrats on your bigger shop! Whichever way you go, I'm sure you'll have a blast. Enjoy!
ejm1961Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
[SM]Juan

Nice squareback! Oh yeah, nice building too...
[SM]Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
rickairmedic

Toby looks like a great new shop . I notice though you seem to be running out of room already and I am a Helpful kinda guy . I would be willing to come out there and bring the type 3 back here and store it for you so you have more space .

Rick
Old 11-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Air_Cooled_Nut

Hey Rick,
That's what I like about VW nuts, they're so helpful! I'd rather lend you our Bus because: 1. The motor need rebuilding and, 2. My parents were the original owners of my baby so I'm kinda DEEPLY attached to her, being that I was a toddler when they bought it.

Thanks for the offer
Old 11-14-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
JSBriggs

Great space. Any pics of the outside?

Ive got a similar sized shop (35x40) and it will hold 7 cars + office/bathroom. Granted that is for storage, at least one needs to go outside to work on something, but the point is, you have alot of space if you organize it. Have you looked int pallet racks? I highly recommend them, especially if you have project cars and all the parts associated with such.

-Jeff
Old 11-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
jeffmoss26

I'd love to have a shop that size! Looks like a great start!
jeffmoss26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #9
The J

I didn't even see a garage in the pictures. All I see are the gorgeous modes of transportation you got there! Love the squareback and bus, and that Ducati is ok too!

You're off to a great start with a large blank slate. I love the high ceilings and large doors. Keep us updates as you make progress.
The J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
LoRollinLS

That's an awesomely huge shop man. Once organized and finished, it should serve you well!
LoRollinLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
Hemihead2
Alliance Member

Great starting point, Toby. When I moved to Auburn 8 years ago, I was like you, looking for a house with enough land to build a shop or already had a shop built. I got lucky and found a place with an existing 25x50 shop with a 12 foot ceiling. It too was like a blank canvas and after wiring, insulation, sheetrocking, painting, etc. I had a place to call my own. Good luck with your journey to creating your own space.
Hemihead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
Air_Cooled_Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Great space. Any pics of the outside?

Ive got a similar sized shop (35x40) and it will hold 7 cars + office/bathroom. Granted that is for storage, at least one needs to go outside to work on something, but the point is, you have alot of space if you organize it. Have you looked int pallet racks? I highly recommend them, especially if you have project cars and all the parts associated with such.

-Jeff
One of my buds had a VW shop and we made extensive use of racks for parts, good idea!

Ask and ye shall receive... <edit> The pictures are linked from my Facebook page which is why the copyright symbol is there cuz I didn't add it AND this picture was taken in July or August of this year!</edit>

In relation to the house. Looking west from the south east corner of the lot (yes, we're in town):

The small shed to the left is the 'garden shed' for lack of a description. It houses the well and filtering system, the rest is open storage. Could fit a single car in there with room to spare if there was a garage door on it. Wife gets to FINALLY park her car in the attached garage so loading & unloading the rat-pack (our kids) isn't such a chore during the wet season (Sept thru June)
Old 11-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #13
JSBriggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Cooled_Nut View Post
the wet season (Sept thru June)
I grew up in Tigard. I know all about the wet season. I have a certain fondness for PDX, and its a nice place to visit, but....

Im looking forward to see it come together. Looks like you have enough height for a lift somday as well.

-Jeff
Old 12-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #14
e-tek

Tigard?! I went with an American babe from there for a while. Met her in California, where she lived with 5 of her friends, 10 minutes from Santa Monica Beach. Drove her Suzuki Samuri from Tigard to LA once - brutal ride!!

I love the size of your shop. You could organize that between bikes and cars!
e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #15
JCQuick

nice place and I dig Vw's as well
JCQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #16
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Nice!

I'd say that next you want: sheet rock, cabinets, good lighting and maybe a lift.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #17
Air_Cooled_Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
Nice!

I'd say that next you want: sheet rock, cabinets, good lighting and maybe a lift.
Maybe? No, WILL now that I have something larger than a garage! That has been a dream for years. Aside from $$ I need to get the right one that can handle rear-engined beasts <grr!>

Right now my time & money is fixing up the house for my Trini Girl. A happy woman is a happy life. Thank goodness I'm damn good with my hands, keeps expenses down and the quality high
Old 12-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
Graham08

Nice space! I'm a big fan of having the wiring in conduit mounted to the wall surface. Mostly because tools and equipment have a habit of following me home, meaning additions/modifications to power the new stuff. Now is definitely the time if you're thinking of heading down that path.
Graham08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #19
Air_Cooled_Nut

Graham08, after seeing a few workspaces with such set ups it is appealing. Something I'm considering. Right now the whole OSB/plywood/sheetrock debate is raging through my head...uhg. I will paint whatever I get. Oh, and I do like peg board. Did that in my last garage and loved it. Turns out my renter likes it as well
Old 01-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #20
Air_Cooled_Nut

The previous owner stopped by today to pick up mail we had collected for them. While we were chatting I asked about the shop. The shop used to be just one side (the left side). They added the right side. The pour was 5" with another 4" more (9" total) in the upper right quadrant (top half of the addition they poured) because...excellent news!...he had planned on putting a lift there! Yeay! My plan was to put a lift on the left side but I can change plans, no problem-o! This saves me from having to cut out a section of the floor, digging deeper, and re-pouring, which is what I was planning on doing because you need to have a good foundation for a car lift.