Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #1101
shopnut

Default Re: The ASYLUM - Happy 40th Birthday to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazzen View Post
When you have a pair of good hands to go with a busy mind, things get done!

I too, love your build and innovations.

I've enjoyed tinkering with some high tech stuff and planned on controlling my linear actuators and gadgets in my Batmobile through a PC (there is an auto PC installed that works great), but haven't gotten around to it. I know its not a difficult thing to do, just need the time to do the proper research (and retrofit).

As far as the motor set ups you're working on go, I'm anxiously watching so I can put a few of those projects in my hopper. Thanks so much for the tutorial and keep up the fabulous work!
I almost have a pair of good feet back to go along with that other stuff. Then there will be no stopping me!

Is a Batmobile without gadgets really a Batmobile? You need to get working on it! What a fun project that would be - not sure if it could get much better than that. And please share it with us on your build thread (or start a Batmobile specific one). If you need any help, just ask. There are plenty here willing to lend a cyber-hand.

Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbender 66 View Post
I can't wait to see that TV masterpiece in action.

Where did you find that bumper for your lawn mover? I have about an eight year old Craftsman LT2000 and I'd like to get one of those. I haven't hit anything yet but there are a lot of possibilities.
The TV in action might be worthy of a youtube video - never tried that yet. I could film the power windows and a few other things while I'm at it.

For more information on the bumper try this link: Sears #24611. (If that doesn't work, go to the Sears.com website and search on p/n 24611. Select the bumper from that page.) Once you get to the product page, you can download a PDF of the installation manual which shows a bunch of pictures. They say it works for all 917. and 247. model tractors and mention the LT's and GT's. Mine came from ebay because the price was a little cheaper even being delivered to the house. They have some other ones - search Sears for "tractor bumper". Good luck.
Mrs. Shopnut's toys: She's too modest

Click to check out: The ASYLUM (w/ apt) //My City Garage // My parents' garages

shopnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #1102
shopnut

Red Leader - Nope, that "S" on my chest simply stands for Shopnut.

Sorry, I really didn't explain things very well. The hood was swung forward on the tractor like shown below because I was working on it. I reached over to re-gain my balance, grabbing the top, and the plastic tabs holding the hinges (all of them) snapped. It offered just enough resistance to keep me from falling, but I ended up standing there holding a hood up in my hand. I few choice words were spoken, IIRC.

1146-Craftsman-Tractor-10.JPG

Omphaloskepic - It's been so long since I watched that show, I don't even remember the POD. Sounds cool though - Do you think it would climb a ladder?

Thanks for your comments. I don't like parting with my money any more than the rest of you out there. I spend quite a bit of time (sometimes too much) searching for good deals - it allows me to buy more fun/useful stuff for that next project!

Glad to have you along for the ride and keep the ideas coming (no matter how crazy they might be )

Wingnut65 - When looking back at all the stuff I got accomplished in this "downtime", I guess I can't really count the grill repair job - my situation actually caused it. I'm hoping the upcoming steps are all forward for a while!

A QUICK UPDATE ON THE FRACTURED HEEL...

I had a doctor visit yesterday (the last for a while now) and he said it was a textbook recovery. The bone looked great and he said that plate and screws in there really weren't doing anything anymore. He gave his blessing to start putting full weight on the heel again and told me to work it as hard as I can take it, pain-wise. I'm not sure if he completely understood my tolerance level for pain, however.

The best part (I think) is he didn't recommend physical therapy. He was happy with my current range of motion and said with as active as I am, the rest will work itself out through daily activities. I was really surprised by all this and was expecting to be signed up for weekly sessions at the affiliated PT office right next door.

There is a high level of pain trying to work the kinks out, but life is really starting to get back to normal. It's hard to believe it been about 4 months since the accident - they actually flew by.

Thanks to all you fine GJ folks for hanging out will me during this slow time in the Asylum build - it has meant a lot to me.

Last edited by shopnut; 02-24-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #1103
flybefree

I told you it would heal up great...you can't keep a shopnut down!

All Men are Created Equal...the difference is what they do after that.
flybefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #1104
shopnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybefree View Post
I told you it would heal up great...you can't keep a shopnut down!
Now I just need to work at not putting myself "down" again!

Old 02-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #1105
Wingnut65

Great to hear you are released back to active duty. Go Forth and Build!

Take it cautiously! We don't want you to go down again, but not sure if we're ready to have you going back up again so soon, either.

- Shop Sign: WE DO PRECISION GUESSWORK
- Follow along as I work on my
Wingnut65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #1106
Red Leader

Whoohoo!

Currently looking for the following vintage Craftsman tools:
1940-1941 Craftsman 101.02180 9" cabinet saw - link
1956-1957 Craftsman 12" Foley-Belsaw planer - link
1940s floor press model 103-0304
1939-1940 10" band saw model 103.0101
Also looking for a 1942 Craftsman shop vise:
http://images116.fotki.com/v693/phot...49_01PM-vi.png
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #1107
tinbender 66

Congrats on the healing of the heel!! I have rather enjoyed your down time activities. Tame that loft!!!!

Paul

The never ending project:

THE PEDESTRIAN GARAGE
tinbender 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #1108
nkachur

Congrats on the clean bill of health. Best of luck on the last stage of your recovery from this set back.

I am loving the automation phase of your build... I don't think my build will get this kind of makeover. Maybe my final shop will get some.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #1109
Omphaloskeptic

Talking Re: The ASYLUM - Happy 40th Birthday to Me!

Shopnut, glad to hear you're cleared for takeoff; Godspeed and watch out for that nasty 'GRAVITY'! Now that you are on the 'road to recovery', is there a Spring MC trip planned for Nazareth, Pa. (C.F. Martin & Co.)?

In regards to the POD of 2001....

"Open the POD bay door, HAL!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkyUMmNl4hk

Once you have the laptop controlled voice-activation in place, the phrase will be -

"Open the VAUD bay door, HAL." (which is why I dreamed up the acronym VAUD; rhymes with POD to paraphrase that movie quote.) Aren't I the clever devil?
Omphaloskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #1110
shopnut

Wingnut65 - "Active Duty" - that's a good way to look at it.

I think I already overdid it yesterday, but the pain is in my back today not my foot!

Red Leader - My thoughts EXACTLY.

tinbender 66 - Thanks. The lighter activities in the recent months have been quite enjoyable, from the viewpoint of the one doing it too. I needed something to keep my mind occupied.

I've got a tough decision coming up concerning that loft. I'm not sure if I'm physically up to it yet, but if I wait too long, we will be into our rainy season and that won't be the best time to do it. So the next couple of weeks of strength building will decide it. I do have a week of carryover vacation from last year that is ear-marked for the loft job, but I need to use it before the end of March. If the loft project is postponed, I will just take every Friday off to make some long weekends through March and just putter on the small stuff (i.e. TV install, island workbench, Asylum sign install, etc.). My many years of service has finally earned me 5 weeks of paid vacation this year, so taking off whenever the timing is right for building the loft still shouldn't be a problem. I fear that time might be next fall, however.

nkachur - Thanks for the warm wishes.

Building the little gizmos is right up my alley and I've always loved doing it. It was inevitable that the Asylum would get a few. I'm sure there are more in it's future too. I just picked up some parts for the overhead doors power-assist system and you might be interested in it since your pull chain operator looks very similar to mine. I will try to get a write-up on it soon to explain what I have in mind.

Glad to see you got your place all sealed in - that must have felt like a great accomplishment for you (because it was! )

Omphaloskeptic - Thanks for your continued support (and creativity!).

We were just talking about future (fun) travel plans yesterday, because our neighbors just got back from a cruise (the ship kind) and was telling us all about it. Mrs. Shopnut has a bunch of business travel in March (one to China) so we decided no fun travel that month. She mentioned a nice long bike ride in April once things slowed down at work and that might be better timing for me because I think I'm at least two weeks away from even throwing a leg over a bike at this point in time. The good news is the vibration from the riding mower didn't bother the foot at all yesterday. Who knows where the open road may lead us - maybe PA?

I really need to shell out a few bucks for that 2001 DVD as much as you guys reference it. I watched the clip and it looks like it might be a good idea to cover my mouth when I speak in the Asylum - you never know who might be listening (or should I say watching )!

Clever? That doesn't begin to cover it.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:39 AM   #1111
Omphaloskeptic

Well, since you have all that vacation time coming and to enable a trauma-free trip to Pa., I'd say you hook Mrs. Shopnut's bike up to a sidecar and make the trip as her passenger! lol Just think, you could sit back and relax with a cold one, have the leg flung up on the dash of the 'P.O.D.' (what else would you name the sidecar?), and enjoy the scenery. The P.O.D. might be a little cramped on the return trip; you would undoubtedly be sharing it with the driver's new instrument. Can't take a trip without buying a souvenir or two!

P.O.D. = 'Party On Dude', 'Patient On Drugs', 'Property Of Driver', 'Passenger Outboard Device', or ...?

P.S. - Don't rush aLoft, let the heal heal! You wouldn't want to cause another W.E.E.P.s event, would you?
Omphaloskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #1112
shopnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omphaloskeptic View Post
Well, since you have all that vacation time coming and to enable a trauma-free trip to Pa., I'd say you hook Mrs. Shopnut's bike up to a sidecar and make the trip as her passenger! lol Just think, you could sit back and relax with a cold one, have the leg flung up on the dash of the 'P.O.D.' (what else would you name the sidecar?), and enjoy the scenery. The P.O.D. might be a little cramped on the return trip; you would undoubtedly be sharing it with the driver's new instrument. Can't take a trip without buying a souvenir or two!

P.O.D. = 'Party On Dude', 'Patient On Drugs', 'Property Of Driver', 'Passenger Outboard Device', or ...?

P.S. - Don't rush aLoft, let the heal heal! You wouldn't want to cause another W.E.E.P.s event, would you?
I think this is typical for most cyclists, but Mrs. Shopnut and I don't enjoy riding on the back of each others bike. Those occasions have been limited to breakdowns and tagging along to pick up a new bike. I think the same dislike would hold true for sitting in a sidecar, although the relaxing part sounds kind of nice.

Not long after the ladder accident happened, I considered outfitting one of my bikes temporarily with a sidecar or maybe buying one of those 3-wheeled Can-Am Spyders to get my mobility back. The realization was it just wasn't worth the hassle for the short period of time I would need it. Plus I was amazed at how pricy those sidecars really are ($7-8K)! The Mrs. has considered a sidecar on one of her bikes for many years, but that was primarily so she could take the dogs with her for a ride. That may still happen someday and her old BMW R1200C might look okay with one on it.

If talking sidecars - "P.O.D. = Passenger Outboard Device" would definitely be my pick.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #1113
shopnut

WHAT GOOD ARE POWERED DOORS AND BRACKETS WITHOUT A TV

I looked around quite a bit and finally decided on a Sceptre X425BV-FHD high-def LCD TV. It had the required features I was looking for like 1080p resolution, VGA (PC) input, and a USB port. The 42" size is the largest I will be able to stuff in that TV cabinet recess, but I think it will be sufficient to see from across the shop. I probably could have looked around a bit longer, but at $360, I figured I wasn't going to find a much better deal for all the features I wanted.

1147-Shop-TV-157.JPG

VGA port to hook up a PC as input - Of course, if your computer has HDMI output, you don't need this. Unfortunately my old shop computer doesn't so I will have to route a VGA and audio cord from the PC to the TV. One nice feature I discovered while playing with it is the TV's ability to freeze whatever is on the screen. I foresee this being handy for freezing an exploded view of something I'm tinkering with on the big screen while jumping back to the laptop to do something else.

1148-Shop-TV-149.JPG

I found a cheap ($9) 25' cable on Amazon that has both VGA and a 1/8" stereo plug built into the same cable. I wanted this cable extra long because quite a bit will be needed up by the TV, allowing slack for movement between stored and extended positions. I also wanted about 10'-15' extra down at the PC end so I can move it around as needed in the future.

1149-Shop-TV-150.JPG

USB port - The other nice feature is a USB port for viewing pictures or playing music directly from a jump drive. Having this will allow me to skip turning on the PC if I choose not to that weekend. So far it's been able to read up to 32GB drive, despite the manual saying 2GB is the limit . Until I get some kind of internet connection at the Asylum (I really like Pandora for streaming music), I'll just play music from my recorded collection of CDs and LPs. Many DVD players have a USB port as well.

1150-Shop-TV-146.JPG

Here are some shots with the laptop sending a video signal to TV. Since the laptop is a widescreen like the TV, the displayed image on the big screen matches its aspect ratio perfectly so display space is fully utilized without distorting the image. I foresee manuals and illustrated parts lists being the primary use in this mode, but who knows what else I might do with it once its there.

1151-Shop-TV-153.JPG 1152-Shop-TV-144.JPG 1153-Shop-TV-159.JPG

It's about time to cut the hole in the wall for this thing.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #1114
Red Leader

Maybe instead of using a ladder to get up to cut out that hole you can just use your swinging arm hoist

Currently looking for the following vintage Craftsman tools:
1940-1941 Craftsman 101.02180 9" cabinet saw - link
1956-1957 Craftsman 12" Foley-Belsaw planer - link
1940s floor press model 103-0304
1939-1940 10" band saw model 103.0101
Also looking for a 1942 Craftsman shop vise:
http://images116.fotki.com/v693/phot...49_01PM-vi.png
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #1115
shopnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
Maybe instead of using a ladder to get up to cut out that hole you can just use your swinging arm hoist
With a saw in hand, just strap me in the yellow slings and hoist me up there!

Thanks - your comment reminded me to check if hoisting the TV up with my jib crane is even feasible. Knowing the TV bracket will extend out of the hole about 12, it should just work just fine. And it will be a little safer than simply muscling it up there. TV will go in the yellow straps and I can get it lined up perfectly with the engine leveler.

1154-Shop-TV-191.JPG 1155-Shop-TV-199.JPG

I got that tractor hood mounted back on after the fiberglass repair (no superhuman strength required to put it on, btw ).

1156-Craftsman-Grill-Repair-29.JPG 1157-Craftsman-Grill-Repair-31.JPG

Old 03-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #1116
machine_punk

It's nice to see you continuing to work on projects, while you finish healing. Looking forward to seeing the TV installed.

M_P

"Kev's out of control. Don't put your keys down--he will rivet them to the table." (ozi jim from the Metal Meet Forum)

Going to be teaching riveting at the Cuesta College Metal Meet...bringing you a little of The
Aerodrome Studio--my metalworking studio in a 2-car, attached garage, where I build artistic projects, inspired by aeroplanes.

- my thread: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=122188
- Blog:
http://TheAerodromeStudio.com/wordpress
machine_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #1117
shopnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine_punk View Post
It's nice to see you continuing to work on projects, while you finish healing. Looking forward to seeing the TV installed.

M_P
Yeah, it was great to be back at it again. I actually got to spend a few days in a row at the Asylum lately. Unfortunately, most of the time was spent playing catch up on all the maintenance type stuff that goes with property ownership. I'm digging myself out of the hole, however, and will be back at the fun stuff soon.

After each hard day out there, I couldn't hardly walk for the first 30 minutes or so the next morning before things started to loosen up in that foot. Hopefully that gets better as the weeks go on.

Nice of you to stop by M_P.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #1118
shopnut

SINCE I’M ON THE LAWN TRACTOR SUBJECT…

This is a follow-up for tinbender66 and anyone else interested in that Craftsman tractor bumper.

The kit came with a wide array of fasteners including the four I needed. I mounted it as far forward and down as I could and the hood still touches it when it is open, but just barely. This thing is probably versatile enough to fit a variety of tractors, so if your frame width is less than 13-1/8”, it should adapt fine. As a side note - it looks like I better get a little paint on that muffler before it rusts away to nothing.

1158-Craftsman-Tractor-Bumper-03.JPG 1159-Craftsman-Tractor-Bumper-06.JPG 1160-Craftsman-Tractor-Bumper-11.JPG
1161-Craftsman-Tractor-Bumper-10.JPG 1162-Craftsman-Tractor-Bumper-14.JPG 1163-Craftsman-Tractor-Bumper-15.JPG

While I had the tractor in the shop, it got fitted with a 1-7/8” ball hitch to match the rest of my implements. The hitch platform was pretty wimpy, so I added a 3/8” thick bracket found in my scrap bin to stiffen it up.

1164-Craftsman-Tractor-Hitch-01.JPG

Old 03-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #1119
Wingnut65

You just keep these little projects up and soon all that is left will be, well the rest of the place, the loft and other cool stuff that needs to be engineered.

BTW, put a couple clear rubber door stoppers on the bumber to keep the hood from getting more battle scars.

Glad to hear you are allowed visitations to the Asylum and that it is all on the ground level.

- Shop Sign: WE DO PRECISION GUESSWORK
- Follow along as I work on my
Wingnut65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #1120
shopnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut65 View Post
You just keep these little projects up and soon all that is left will be, well the rest of the place, the loft and other cool stuff that needs to be engineered.

BTW, put a couple clear rubber door stoppers on the bumber to keep the hood from getting more battle scars.

Glad to hear you are allowed visitations to the Asylum and that it is all on the ground level.
Taking a look around at the place, there is probably about a year's worth of "small stuff" to do at the Asylum if I don't feel up to the big stuff. And that doesn't count the stuff on the vehicles.

I don't have to be quiet about this next statement because Mrs. Shopnut was my assistant, but I was up on a ladder doing four different projects yesterday at the house. And two of them were on the roof! I'm still catching up on everything that was put off for 4 months. When I was out at the shop alone, I promised her I would call before I did any work at heights (probably so she could talk me out of it!).

Thanks, I will take that advice on the rubber stoppers, not only to protect the grill, but the paint on the bumper as well. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how quickly things start rusting around here if rubbed down to bare metal

Tags
apartment, bendpak lift, chevelle, corvette, crane, engineering, lathe, library ladder