Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
puttsy

Default Craftsman Universal 3/8" ratchet. PIC HEAVY

I asked about a NAPA rebuild kit for a newly acquired ratchet and one thing led to another and I mentioned the innards looked remarkably similar to the Craftsman Universal ratchet and lo-and-behold, someone wanted pics (*cough* thanks...plinker...*cough* /sarcasm)

The pics show a 3/8" drive, Craftsman Universal ratchet and NAPA 3/8" drive ratchet. The Craftsman is nice, sleek black with brushed steel accents...Got this for my dorm box because it looked so darned cool. The Craftsman is 45-tooth, the NAPA is 60. Note, the selector on the craftsman looks plastic, it is NOT; the selector AND quick-release button ARE metal. Also, The Lego minifig is Johnny Thunder from the "Adventurers" series. It is here to identify MY pics if they are improperly re-used. [I've had lots of problems with it in the past along with many other forum members here]

Side-by-side:

Craftsman:

Both apart:

Gear and pawl: (Left=NAPA | Right=Craftsman)

Selectors. (Left=NAPA | Right=Craftsman) Note the height difference:

NAPA gear and pawl in craftsman. (Note: The selector is the Craftsman selector. The NAPA selector is too short)

Back of the Craftsman with the NAPA gear/pawl:

Craftsman pawl, selector and body with the NAPA gear. NOTE: The gear only moves 1 direction. The selector jams when you try and switch direction so it doesn't quite just "drop" in. It also took some juggling to get it to fit in the housing...there was very little clearance to slide it in and it sat cockeyed the first several tries but eventually got it seated 'correctly':

If you want any more pics let me know. I'll keep the snap-rings off until I need a ratchet again (which is seldom in a dorm...but they are fun to fiddle/twiddle with) Also, if you have a Gearwrench ratchet in this style, I would love to add it to the lineup...(see: #mustbecheap)

Beginners Guide to Screwdrivers and such

My vices:
Maglite's 'n Nalgene's, Lego's, Oh, and maybe tape.

Last edited by puttsy; Not that long ago. Reason: Spelling error, bad grammar, change in mind, change in mood, who knows

Last edited by puttsy; 03-05-2012 at 02:08 AM.
puttsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
puttsy

Default Re: Craftsman Universal 3/8" ratchet. PIC HEAVY

just in case

My vices:

Last edited by puttsy; Not that long ago. Reason: Spelling error, bad grammar, change in mind, change in mood, who knows
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-05-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
billymade

Well, historically; Danaher has made Craftsman/NAPA tools, so it makes sense they are close.
Anyone know if Sears rebuilds the new universal ratchets or do they just give you a new one?

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
el tanque prohibido
Banned

Why is it called a "Universal" ratchet?
el tanque prohibido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:21 AM   #5
billymade

Sears site is temp down but it is related to the sockets/wrenches they have; supposed to fit "anything" (e.g. "The unique universal tooth design featured in each of these products fits six-point, 12-point, partially-rounded, external TORX, square and spline shaped fasteners.".)! The ratchet shown here; is just a "normal" ratchet but the sockets in the set are supposed to be universal. As we all know; when something is "universal" it doesn't do anything particularly well, there is a reason there are thousands of different sockets out there.

https://www.google.com/webhp?rlz=1C1...7&ix=seb&ion=1

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!

Last edited by billymade; 03-05-2012 at 12:21 PM.
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #6
SCscoutguy

It looks kind of like the Gray Pneumatic ratchet line.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grey-Pneumat...0f8316&vxp=mtr
SCscoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
Copytech

I fail to see the point of this thread.
Copytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
barcalo

Anybody know if these are USA made? I have yet to see a non USA Craftsman one yet but I have been told they are out there. Thanks in advance to anybody for info.
barcalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
Obie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalo View Post
Anybody know if these are USA made? I have yet to see a non USA Craftsman one yet but I have been told they are out there. Thanks in advance to anybody for info.
The Craftsman Universal lineup is all imported. I got the SAE and Metric sockets and ratchet wrenches as presents a while back. Can't remember if its china or taiwan, but they aren't too bad. The spline sockets actually work pretty well on rounded bolt heads. I've used them a few times to get a bolt off that would normally take a twist socket, and they've worked. Would I spend my own money on them? Probably not. But they're a gift I would keep. Just make sure to keep them oiled, otherwise they rust pretty badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAGT07 View Post
I was expecting more along the lines of: "Is that a breaker bar in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" "Do you have an inspection mirror in your wallet, because I could see myself in there?" "Let me see if my big tool will fit in your box."
Obie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
thesilverone

Send a message via AIM to thesilverone

COO of Johnny Thunder?

My Feedback Thread: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=155808
Quote:
Can't see spending $11,000 for a box that does the same damn thing as a box that's just as big and does the same exact thing as one for $1,000....

What y'all think?

(.)(.) KAOTIK Motorsports (.)(.)
thesilverone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
plinker

As Spock would say, Fascinating.

Look's like their using the same design/style but not quite the same dimension's. Do the cover plates "drop in" from one to the other?

I find it interesting they're using the "60 tooth" style inernals instead of the raised panel internals for these. It would make sense though as the "60's" have been overthere as it were, for a while.

Quote:
COO of Johnny Thunder?
Denmark (last I knew), so he's one of those high end euro imports no one complains about

For hand tool warranty info, see link
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=38749
plinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
TMCCuda

The head of the Napa ratchet looks similar to a Matco or Gearwrench ratchet head, which are also Danaher lines. The triangular plate opening is a good giveaway. I wonder if the guts of a Matco 88 would fit. Also, the Craftsman Premium rats are very similar. I think there was a post here comparing the Premium 83t to the Matco 88.
TMCCuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
pipsters

I'm still laughing that you would be upset if someone "reuses" a picture you took of a ratchet...
pipsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
jrodc455

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymade View Post
Well, historically; Danaher has made Craftsman/NAPA tools, so it makes sense they are close.
Anyone know if Sears rebuilds the new universal ratchets or do they just give you a new one?
We have rebuild kits for em. Also the kits from the thin profile ratchets will work in them.
jrodc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
puttsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCCuda View Post
The head of the Napa ratchet looks similar to a Matco or Gearwrench ratchet head, which are also Danaher lines. The triangular plate opening is a good giveaway. I wonder if the guts of a Matco 88 would fit. Also, the Craftsman Premium rats are very similar. I think there was a post here comparing the Premium 83t to the Matco 88.
Yes, a Matco 88 kit drops into these...or at least that's what many people are saying. People (much more knowledgeable and experienced than I) have done it and say it just drops right in. I would try it but don't need a fine-tooth ratchet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
I'm still laughing that you would be upset if someone "reuses" a picture you took of a ratchet...
It's not that I mind 're-use', it's that I don't like plagiarism and blatant copying. I've had plenty items taken and posted by others claiming they are their own original work. (Not sure why...my pics aren't that great of quality...I guess people will rip-off anything though) This makes it pretty apparent when they appear elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copytech View Post
I fail to see the point of this thread.
Some people were wanting to see the internals of the Craftsman 3/8" 'Universal' ratchet. I noted the internals of the NAPA looked remarkably similar to the craftsman and followed it up with this. To each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 View Post
Who is Johnny Thunder ?
A fictional character developed by Lego. For us Lego freaks and geeks, he's the equivalent to what you would consider Chuck Norris. (Idol? Superhero?) Also NOT to be confused with Indiana Jones..they look similar...they are vastly different though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el tanque prohibido View Post
Why is it called a "Universal" ratchet?
It's called Universal because the sockets that possess that designation fit a multitude of fasteners (Sears claims 6). Hex (6 pt.), 12 pt., Spline, Square, partially rounded Hex, & External torx. As @billymade said, "As we all know; when something is "universal" it doesn't do anything particularly well, there is a reason there are thousands of different sockets out there." Now, these sockets are better than the universal dogbone wrenches but, I still reach for my standard sockets first. I have never run across a spline or etorx bolt throughout my general DIY'ing. These are better than some 'universal' items sold but are by no means a replacement for a properly outfitted box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilverone View Post
COO of Johnny Thunder?
And yep, Johnny Thunder is from Denmark...well, it could be one of several countries but at that time, Denmark was the primary place of mfg. followed by England. (Note: this is the less common brown shirt tan pants Johnny...normally he has tan shirt and black pants. But a brown hat just doesn't work with tan pants...like the brown/black belt and shoe dilemma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCscoutguy View Post
It looks kind of like the Gray Pneumatic ratchet line.
Aha! I think I saw a pic of your toolbox somewhere around here that had a similar looking ratchet and thought "They wouldn't have one of these. They get better quality tools than this!" Pretty sure it was you, and now I know what it ACTUALLY was. Anyone know anything about those Gray Pneumatic ratchets though? I've only heard about them in passing on the forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker View Post
As Spock would say, Fascinating.

Look's like their using the same design/style but not quite the same dimension's. Do the cover plates "drop in" from one to the other?
+1 for star trek reference!(Dare I say geek credit? That's even a TOS bit. That's long before your time mate! Even longer before mine)
But yes, the cover plates are interchangeable. The NAPA seems slightly thicker but that's likely a variation part to part. Snap Rings are also the same.

My vices:

Last edited by puttsy; 03-05-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #16
mooman

Johnny Thunder, also known as Sam Grant and Joe Freeman, is the main character in the LEGO Adventurers theme. He is included in numerous sets as a minifigure in each of the theme's sub-series, often alongside such characters as his friends Dr. Kilroy and Pippin Reed. He also appears in two Studios sets, played by an actor. In addition to this, Johnny also appears in seven video games.
mooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
SCscoutguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttsy View Post
Aha! I think I saw a pic of your toolbox somewhere around here that had a similar looking ratchet and thought "They wouldn't have one of these. They get better quality tools than this!" Pretty sure it was you, and now I know what it ACTUALLY was. Anyone know anything about those Gray Pneumatic ratchets though? I've only heard about them in passing on the forum..
I don't own a Gray Pneumatic ratchet or the Craftsman Universal I just saw them on ebay while I was looking for Gray Canada tools. They look similar but I bet they are different internally.
SCscoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
puttsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooman View Post
Johnny Thunder, also known as Sam Grant and Joe Freeman, is the main character in the LEGO Adventurers theme. He is included in numerous sets as a minifigure in each of the theme's sub-series, often alongside such characters as his friends Dr. Kilroy and Pippin Reed. He also appears in two Studios sets, played by an actor. In addition to this, Johnny also appears in seven video games.
I still prefer Johnny thunder and Dr. Lightning, and in the Lego Police: Jailbreak Joe. I like to keep it original. Note: Dr. Lighting is now known as Dr. Kilroy and Pippin Reed was Gail Storm (?) if I recall from the old sets correctly. Ahh, nostalgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCscoutguy View Post
I don't own a Gray Pneumatic ratchet or the Craftsman Universal I just saw them on ebay while I was looking for Gray Canada tools. They look similar but I bet they are different internally.
My bad...must have been someone else's box then. The Gray Pneumatic look to be fairly course/low-tooth count in general now that I look at them. I still have to question why this Craftsman one is only 45-tooth though, would it really be that difficult to use the 60-tooth gear and make a much more versatile--dare I say...'universal' ratchet!?

My vices:

Last edited by puttsy; 03-05-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Tags
3/8" drive, craftsman universal, danaher ratchet, napa ratchet