Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #41
Double B

Default Re: Till death do us part........ Garage revamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omphaloskeptic View Post
Looking good! Do you feel that you are in the 'home stretch' yet?
It reads like you started this garage revamp about 11/11 and it seems to me that you've been at it pretty steady through the winter; good on you! Hope you keep at it during the fishing season and keep us posted.

That workbench your old man built for you is one mighty fine Christmas present! Are you keeping the top clean to show him you're mending your ways? lol
Yep I have been keeping at it for a while now, slow and steady, that's me. Just trying to get the drywall done. I love doing the other stuff. But It seams everytime I get a groove going, life (AKA the kids scedual) throws me a curve ball!

I do plan on getting the selving and benches and stuff done this summer between fishing derbies. I deffinately will keep posting my progress, if for nothing else but to keep track of what I did and where everything went!.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's appreciated.

As to the home stretch, nope, trying to decide if I want to put this on hold till later this year. Detroit River has had no Ice flowing down it for the last couple days, along with the tulips are up about 2-3". Deffinately as sign of spring. Means the walleye will be spawning here in about 3-4 weeks. Then it is game on!!!!!!! The 2012 season begins. I have about 3 weeks of work to do to the boat to get it ready. So hard desicion to make soon coming up!
Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #42
Double B

Default Update 3-3-2012

Time for an update.

Last night got the doors and sliding track up. Starting to look complete. Here are a couple of pics....

SSPX0081.jpg

SSPX0082.jpg

Tonight I plan on finishing off the aircompressor hole. Need to run black pipe air lines and then hoist the air compressor up in the hole. Also need to wire in the fan into the one door and a return air vent in the other. I'll post the pics when it gets done.

Hope you guys like progress even if it is slow....
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #43
jackylcrackyl

Looks real nice thus far. I commend you for your hard work on the drywall--I completely hate to tape and mud. Your slow and steady pace has paid off. I'm in a slower and not as steady pace on my garage right now. I like it, keep it up.

If you can't figure it out in your garage, maybe you need to check your figures.
jackylcrackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #44
Double B

Default Update 3-4-2012

Thanks, I am a slow and steady type by nature... I guess it goes with being fat! lol

Here is an update of what got done last night after the kids went to bed.

SSPX0083.jpg

I plan on upgrading the compressor hole when I get the fitting for the compressor tank. It comes out with a 1/4 not fitting and I want to upgrade it to a 3/4" npot straight to the air line system. This will solve some of my air flow problems I was experienciung. Just need to see if I can find one this week. It's like a 1 1/2" ntp male to 3/4" npt Female. Also still plan on using the orginal pressure switch on the tank. Just going to T off the 3/4" and use a reducer. Then plug the out that the hose is plugged into currently. Here is a pic of the tank and the line I plan on using.

SSPX0086.jpg

SSPX0084.jpg

Still working on the sand blaster setup. I want to hard plumb the sand blaster but still be able to conect a air line for the drive way. I seam to have to keep adding air to my tires all the time. ANd then there is my boat and trailer that I maintain in the driveway that I need air for. I stopped last night at this stage due to needing to get some more fittings. I know the flex line is a bit like a rig, but It's all I had on hand. It will stay unless it leaks air. Also not water drain on the end of the main truck. Still thinking about that. We'll see.

Todays project are these....

SSPX0085.jpg

One of my daughters B-day today. Family is coming over for supper so we are going to to the ribs on the smoker. I also need to work on my secret Receipe. My freinds and I have a yearly rib cook off. I got secong last year and need to kick it up a notch. So playing with my sauce a bit. Plan on introducing a bit of apple cider viniger for a bit of tangy taste instead of the candied flavour that I normally go for. Sort of like a sweat and sour flavour. Can't go with hot spices due to the kids will not eat it and my stomach will not take it.

Have fun and I'll post when there is more progress next weekend.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #45
Double B

Default Update 3-7-2012

Finished up the air compressor cove lasty night. It did not come out to badly. Still need to finish routing the rest of the air lines throughout the garage thru the attic. That will be later this summer as I am going to try to get the rest of the drywall done....

As I showed in my previous posts I made the doors for the cove and planned on mounting a bathroom fan in one door and a grill in the other. Well here is how the fan idea turned out.

SSPX0094.jpg

I used the egg cartons idea on the back of doors for reducing the noise. It did work for a minor amount. Nothing huge though. I can now talk loudly instead of screaming like before.

SSPX0095.jpg

I used a adjustable elbow to direct the fan output directly on the compressor head. This should help keep it cool in the confined space. It is the silver piece just poking out from the right side of the door.

SSPX0096.jpg

I used the switched plug I ran earlier for power source for the fan and used an old extension cord for the power cord for the fan. The switch is right beside the air compressor switch.

SSPX0097.jpg

I mounted a 10X10 return air grill on the other side. This is where all the noise is escaping. I plan on modifing this again, by hanging a piece of paneling with eg cartons glued to it 1-2" infront of the grill. This should help lower the noise again. We'll see.

SSPX0098.jpg

Here is the out come of hte whole wall. Just need to get the lights up in the center of the garage along with caping the one air line run going to the attic and the out side light wiring in the attic. Then the back wall starts. Hope to get these other things done tonight.
SSPX0098.jpg
Old 03-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #46
shirkdog

Default Re: Update 3-7-2012

The lights are looking sweet. Very polished look.

Garage Pals

david@garagepals.com

GaragePals.com is a USA Manufacturer of Diamond Plate Aluminum Garage Storage Cabinets and Accessories.
shirkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #47
Double B

Well just thought I would pop in and post and update.

Got the beam in last night for the rear wall new garage door. Right now I do not have access to the rear yard with a Vehicle. I own a boat and have to store it else wear due to by laws stating nothing in front yards including boats, trailers, and RV's. So the Rear Door is going in.

This weekend I hope to get the drywall mudding started and finished by next weekend. Paint next weekend. Not to many corners so this should go pretty quick.

Sorry no pics, Nothing to show but a beam. Now I'll go and rest by gut, as I think I inflicted a hernia on myself by lifting all by my lonesome.....

I'll get pics when I have more progress......
Old 03-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #48
Leyenda30

Looking great..really coming together. Who makes the scaffold you have with the 2x4 legs? it looks very handy. JP
Leyenda30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #49
Double B

Default Update 3-27-2012

Here are some updated pics of what is going one. I do work on the garage every day, but only for an hour or two at a time. I fear that the time will be further reduced as Soccer season is apon us! Archery and Air rifle are already taking their tole!

Anyways, I have been working on wiring and framing in the entertainment center up in the back corner of the garage. By the new rear 9' wide x 8'5" high door on the back wall. I have no access to the back yard for a car or truck. With owning a boat, as I told you guys before, I had a problem with storage in the winter. So here is how the door and framing is going.

SSPX0101.jpg

SSPX0102.jpg

Tonight have to run a couple of new circuits for electrical and then run antenna wire back to where my juntion box is for the house main antenna. Then finish framing, run the under overhead cabinet light. After all that I can get around to mudding by the weekend I hope.

Wish me luck, I think I might need it to get to the mudding point by the weekend.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #50
Double B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyenda30 View Post
Looking great..really coming together. Who makes the scaffold you have with the 2x4 legs? it looks very handy. JP
Sorry for the late reply, but they where given to me as a giftr from my uncle ten years ago when we moved into the house. He was downsizing housing, actually moving to a condo and getting rid of a bunch of his stuff. They don't have a name plate or anything. These where the nock off back in the day. My dads came from sears. He has two sets of them. I don't think they make them anymore.

They are the most versatile things I have. One they are a work bench, saw horses to the next being sorage selving. Hell, I have had the cap from my 21' trophy walkaround on a set in the driveway for 3 months. They are way under rated for weight. I'm 300lbs and walk on these like its the ground. I did have to reinforce the plank from bowing.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #51
Double B

Default Update 04-06-2012

Anyone ever notice that when you are rushing to get something done everything else you always wanted to happen, happen in that time? It did to me this week on Tuesday.

Well started this week on Monday night finishing off the first heavy coat of mudd on the last section of walls. Tuesday morning , a little hung over I was heading out to my car for work and my buddy pulls up with a deer in the back of his pickup that he had just hit 10 mintues earlier. Wow you want to talk about derailing a couple of days! Took 1.5 days of good work butchering that fucker. Usually do the the moose we get from moos hunting every year. So I gave it a whirl for him.

Here is a pic of the drying carcus hanging in the garage before quarting and processing.

SSPX0103.jpg

SSPX0105.jpg

As you can see he hit a big one. Broke both rear legs at the knee joint. Hell that would have been a hell of a rack this fall. That thing is 7' long without rear leggs. We where very selective on the hind quarter and turned what we could use into ground.

The loins got deboned, "skinned" membraines removed, and retied with double smoked bacon as roast. The rest salso went into burg. Maxed 50-40 with pork and bacon trimmings and fine ground together.

My wife which is a city girl is a bit quesy about it, but I'll give her some time before I have her try some. When the memory is a little faded. Should not have had her help out hanging it back up after washing it.

Anyways back to the garage, last night I was able to get back into the sanding mudding. Spent 3 hours dancing with the sanding block and 80 grit sand paper. Then a second coat of Sheetrock 45 until it lasted. Ran out at 1am. Here are a couple of pics from this morning.

SSPX0106.jpg

This is the new vacuum corner. The vacuum in built up in behind the tv center. Fits nice and snug. The bottom container of the vacuum sits below the selve so emptying will be a breeze!

SSPX0108.jpg

This is a close up of the TV center. The side by the door will be where the VCR and DVD placer go behind Plexi-glass. The main front side is the old Tube TV. I have an old 27" Phillips that only had 30-40 hrs on it before it was sent/liberated to the garage! The mudded wall is where the furnace is going. Beside the new garage door is going.

SSPX0107.jpg

This is a pic of the walls around the new back garage door. It is 9' wide and 8'5" high. This is so I can get the boat in the back yard. No more storage fees this year!!!!

Well you know where I'll be this evening, mudding and sanding. Hoping to have this done by MOnday night and ready for prime. Wish me luck!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #52
Omphaloskeptic

It's looking good! Any plans for a covered rear car (boat) port?
Omphaloskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #53
Pointbock

Damn, that's a helluva transformation, not to mention all the attic work. Have you tried the "egg crate" foam (dog bed, mattress topper, etc.) in the compressor cabinet? The actual egg crates have a solid shell that the sound can still bounce off of. They help to mis-direct it but foam would absorb it, too.

tight lines!
Pointbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #54
red85

Looking really good. I grew up on Lake Erie; what part of the North shore are you on?
red85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #55
Double B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omphaloskeptic View Post
It's looking good! Any plans for a covered rear car (boat) port?
Eventually the car port will be done. The next house upgrade is painting the interior of the whole house. Hasn't been done since we moved in ten years ago. With 4 kids, you can see most corner beads 2.5' from the floor and down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointbock View Post
Damn, that's a helluva transformation, not to mention all the attic work. Have you tried the "egg crate" foam (dog bed, mattress topper, etc.) in the compressor cabinet? The actual egg crates have a solid shell that the sound can still bounce off of. They help to mis-direct it but foam would absorb it, too.

tight lines!
I have the foam kind, but will have to come back to it. Right now what is there will have to work! You are exactly right, tight lines are a coming! Hoping that it will be in two or less weeks. Need to dewinterize the boat and play a little with the jetting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red85 View Post
Looking really good. I grew up on Lake Erie; what part of the North shore are you on?
Right at the mouth of the river that feeds it. On the Canadian side. Almost across from the old Bolo Island. If you know there area, then you know where!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #56
red85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post

Right at the mouth of the river that feeds it. On the Canadian side. Almost across from the old Bolo Island. If you know there area, then you know where!
You mean Boblo right? I know the spot almost exactly!
red85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #57
Double B

Quote:
Originally Posted by red85 View Post
You mean Boblo right? I know the spot almost exactly!
With the internet being what it is, Yes that is the island.... Some good fishing out in front right now for walleye's. The spawn is mostly over, but you can pick up a couple of straglers.....
Old 04-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #58
Double B

Well finished off the drywall in the garage finally. Only have one spot that needs a quicky skim coat. It's of coarse an end joint right infornt of where the TV is going. With the semi-gloss paint, the defect will stand out like 70's pimp on church! So before Archery tonight I'll skim it and put the lamp to it to dry it. Then sand and prime. Hoping to paint tomorrow night. Hell it will take 3-5 days to dry with the weather we are supposed to get. High's of 40 this week.

Anyways, here is the pics of the outcome this morning.....

SSPX0109.jpg

SSPX0110.jpg

SSPX0111.jpg

So this week the list of things is paint the last of the garage after the skim coat. Then the Honey Do List is fix two screens (ones a door), wash teh fridage and rearragne the garage stuff, wash the pad out back, get the boat home and ready for fishing.....

For the garage I plan to get the furnace back up and operational, the trim work done, then back to the air distribution system in the garage, then the sand blaster and shelving..... But I have all summer for those. The drywall is done for now. Priority is fishing..... When it costs 300+ to fill the boat, not much else get's done in the garage.....
Old 04-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #59
Double B

Default Update 04-17-2012

Well worked on the garage last night putting in some electrical plugs and finishing the electrical on the one wall. Still have on more plug to go, but need some face plates and a plug/switch combos for two locations. Here is the pics....

SSPX0119.jpg

SSPX0120.jpg

SSPX0121.jpg

SSPX0122.jpg

As you can see the ceiling did not come out too bad. There is one spot that a crack I tried to repair did show thru, But I plan on covering it with a light fixture anyways....

Tonight I have to drill the beam to be able to add the 2 x 6 to the underside. That will get done and then the trim work needs to be painted before Friday. The new door comes in on Friday!!!!

So Busy busy..... I'll post whebn I get the remainder of the trim work done and the door installed. Then everyhting goes on hold!. Fishing season can not be put on hold any longer! Have to dewinterize the boat. Hopefully next week!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #60
Double B

Default Update 4-20-2012

Well I thought I would check in with an update.

The new Wayne Dalton insulated garage door came in today. It's being delivered to work, so tonight I have a wee bit project to get done. Tomorrow I'm off to my local siding buisness and gettting the supplies to punch the hole for the door. Sunday that is getting done. So major progress this weekend. is for sure. I'll have a pic or two for you guys that are adicted to pics...

Here what has transpired over the last couple of days.

Last night was up to midnight painting trim again for above the door and around the TV and doors. Again made my own out of cheap strapping material and pine boards from Home depot. Here is how they came out. They need another coat.....

SSPX0130.jpg

SSPX0131.jpg

SSPX0132.jpg

As you can see I have mounted my wire spool rack and bar stock rack besides the fridge in the toilet area under the tv. Still need to cut the opening for the light under the TV. All wired just need to cut the hole.

So like I said there is still a ton of work to do, just need to get it done. More pics later....