Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #201
bczygan

Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

Here's a link to the manual:

http://www.hammerwall.com/Download_Manual/44309/
Old 03-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #202
abrankhalid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczygan View Post

Hey thanks for the input. I already looked through the manual . Unfortunatley, they do not state what valve is located where. They just term the whole unit as "power unit" , so its not really helpful . I am also confused a bit because even when i have the "power unit " out, the ram is still not going in all the way. I am going to post a picture in a few minutes . Maybe that will be more helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00000043.jpg (161.8 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by abrankhalid; 03-08-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: picture added
abrankhalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #203
bczygan

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrankhalid View Post
Hey thanks for the input. I already looked through the manual . Unfortunatley, they do not state what valve is located where. They just term the whole unit as "power unit" , so its not really helpful . I am also confused a bit because even when i have the "power unit " out, the ram is still not going in all the way. I am going to post a picture in a few minutes . Maybe that will be more helpful.
Hiball can help you.

You gotta take it completely apart anyway, so just follow this thread. I gotta finish mine too.

Get the big blue plastic box of metric O-rings from Harbor Freight. Sometimes it is on the shelf below the other ones.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #204
Bull
Super Moderator

Those of you looking to contact or hear from Hiball regarding your jack questions might have to wait a bit. My understanding is that he is dealing with some things that are going to require his attention much more than the forums.

Just want to let you know so that if you message him and he doesn't get back to you, you don't take it as a sign of disinterest on his part.

EUDAIMONIA
"It Pays to Stay in the USA!"
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #205
abrankhalid

I understand that. Thanks for letting me know. I am in no hurry.
abrankhalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #206
binovc

I also just found this thread. Sure hope hiball is ok / gets things worked out - he sure provided a wealth of info here!
I myself am the owner of a rescued 3 ton MVP superlift. I found the U-cup pretty well deteriorated. Am looking to find a decent price on one - think I need a 25 x 40 x 10. I found one at Blackhawkparts.com, but 17 for the part plus 10 shipping sounds a bit pricey for one seal. Anybody know of something more reasonable?
binovc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #207
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by binovc View Post
I also just found this thread. Sure hope hiball is ok / gets things worked out - he sure provided a wealth of info here!
I myself am the owner of a rescued 3 ton MVP superlift. I found the U-cup pretty well deteriorated. Am looking to find a decent price on one - think I need a 25 x 40 x 10. I found one at Blackhawkparts.com, but 17 for the part plus 10 shipping sounds a bit pricey for one seal. Anybody know of something more reasonable?
HOLY BATMAN.. $27 bucks? LOL.. PM sent.
Im Currently not taking any orders or shipping Kits/parts. It's always best to patronize local business's when possible, if not available there are numerous online suppliers. Below, you will find a phone number to HPS, Steve and His Wife are very knowledgable and very economically priced. .

Have a Hydraulic Jack Question? Check Here First..

Need a Seal Kit? Contact Hydraulic Parts Supply at 620-594-2247

BRC 6/9/22 - 3/5/12 My Best Friend and the Greatest Man i ever Knew RIP...
Hiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #208
55dude

don't spend much time here i'm usually on the hamb and just discovered the link. what a great thing to read a tech thread written by someone that knows other than "well i read it..."! i don't have a junk jack yet but alway enjoy reading a well written tech article.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #209
piston farmer

I have a jack that lifts fine and doesnt leak, my big bitch about it is when i release it to lower the car it drops like a ton of bricks most the time and every once in awhile it will lower slowly like i want it to. and suggestions on what to look at for this problem?
piston farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #210
binovc

More cudos to Hiball! I finished rebuilding my 3 1/2 ton MVP Superlift, and it now works great! I purchased (from Hiball) a new U-cup, and also replaced a worn o-ring at the check valve port (wasn't leaking there, but the o-ring looked like it was in poor shape and I already had the Harbor Freight o-ring assortment). The u-cup measurement seemed to be 40mm x 25mm x 9mm, but apparently 9mm is an odd size. I had a choice of 8mm or 10mm. I picked 8mm, and it seems to work just fine. The 10mm may have fit, but would have been hard to predict without having it in hand. I removed all the hardware I could, except the overload valve (didn't want to mess with the setting) and also one port on the side of the case that I didn't know what was, so I left it alone. There was also a strainer screen I found laying loose inside the oil reservoir (outer section of the big cylinder), Hiball says he finds these loose quite frequently. I had no idea how (or exactly where) to put it back, so I just left it out. I sprayed it out reall well with brake parts cleaner, then used a pressure washer with just water, then used my air compressor to dry it out. Re-assembled, re-filled with jack oil, bled the air out, and it works great. Here's a link to pics, I will add a few more when I get time (with the new u-cup, and a full view of the re-assembled jack). I know MVP is not highly regarded, but I rescued the jack from the street where someone threw it out. So this jack cost me less that $20 for a new u-cup, a quart of jack oil, and some time and effort.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cocojen...7629286603784/
binovc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #211
nelsontj

Another BIG THANK YOU to Hiball!! For less than $20 I rebuilt my 15 year old Snap-On jack and it works good as new!!

Thanks Again Hiball!!

Tim
nelsontj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #212
theoldwizard1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogm94 View Post
I sure could use some help. My favorite jack quit while I was helping my son with his car. It is a Michelin branded jack ...
Well, I dragged this up because I am working on the exact same jack. My buddy picked it up at an auction cheap. It lifted him (less than 200 lbs) but when he got home it won't a car.

I pulled the hydraulic part out of the jack, drained the tank and removed the tank nut (big cheater on a 24" pipe wrench). I have not taken apart any of the valves. The cup at the bottom of the piston looks okay but it does feel hard. I have not disassembled it yet, but if I have it apart I would like to replace it.

I will probably replace the tank nut seal/o-ring also.

Hiball, do you know the correct parts or do I need to measure ?
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #213
Thegratenate

Help,
I'm trying to rebuild an old jack all I know about it is that it's heavy and used to be orange. This is what I found when I got it apart.

I haven't pulled the seals out of the pump yet but I don't expect to have much better luck.
Thanks
Thegratenate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #214
burger

Hello Hiball,

Thanks for taking the time to help everyone with their floor jack rebuilds. If you don't mind, I would like to ask some questions about a jack that I recently rebuilt.

The jack is an American Forge and Foundry 200T floor jack. Unlike the other jacks on this thread, it has two pump cylinders. I think one is for the rapid lift and the other is for normal lifting. Prior to the rebuild, the jack would lift a car, but would slowly leak down. During tear down, I could not find any damaged components, though I did replace everything with new seals and o-rings.

Now that I have reassembled the jack, it is still not working correctly. When I pump the handle down, the jack pad raises. As soon as I bring the handle up for the next stroke, the jack pad falls back down. It's like working a see-saw. If I manually pull the jack pad up, it stays raised until I twist the jack handle to release it.

The unit has two overload valves. I have messed with both, even going so far as to turn them all the way in. This has had no effect on the way the jack operates.

Any ideas on what else I can check?

Thanks,
Ed

"I looked around the garage and had to laugh. Nothing worked. Everything needed something. Some things needed everything. Nothing needed nothing."
- Peter Egan, CycleWorld columnist
burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #215
EDGAR

You have to check the other steel balls that are not the overload valves. The other balls, the small one and the larger one on top of it, are the all important one way valves. These balls have to seal perfectly, specially the larger one, which is the one-way valve holding the weight of the car. (There is another ball that also holds the weight of the car and that is the release valve ball.)

When you raise the handle, the small ball allows the pump piston to suck the oil from the tank but when you push down the handle, this small ball will be pushed into its seat (by the same oil it sucked when raising the handle, venturi effect) and then this oil is redirected to the rear of the ram.

The larger ball allows the oil coming fron the pump piston to go behind the ram but when the oil tries to go back, this large balls closes agains its seat thereby stopping the oil from going back to the tank. As mentioned earlier, since this large ball holds the weight of the car, it has to seal perfectly; any leakeage here will make the lifting arm go down. A strong leak here will cause the seesaw effect you mentioned.

This leakage can be caused by some gummy dirt sticking to the valve seat thereby preventing a perfect seal. Also, small pieces broken off from o-rings from the pump piston itself can lodge in the valve seat. It could also be caused by old balls that have become grey or dark colored. The balls are chromed and they should look bright and shinny. Inspect the balls, there should no rust or pitting on them, any imperfection could cause leaks; replace the balls if this is the case. To inspect the balls get a magnifying glass, or an eye loupe, with at least 5X magnification or more ( more is better). Do not use a regular 2X magnifying glass. As for the dirty seat, use a spray cleaner like carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner and check for any imperfection on the seat surface, specially the bigger ball seat. You will need a small flashlight for this.

To achieve a good seat, the balls are tapped a couple of times against their seat, specially if you are using new balls. You should use either a brass drift or a copper drift or punch to do this. The last resort would be a steel punch. It is just a couple of taps do not pound on them! You will need two punches, one for the small ball and one for the larger ball and the size should be slightly smaller than the ball size. Be carefull not to damage the upper ball seat while tapping the small ball. For this reason the punch should be straight ( no taper) and long. You may have to make these yourself.

When an overload ball leaks, the arm will contact the chassis but, depending on the amount of leakage, the arm may lift a little and then stop or it may not lift at all.

By the way, these one way balls are held against their seats by the oil pressure alone even in cases where there is a very light spring pushing against the bigger ball. This spring either shortens the distance the bigger balls has to move to seal agains its seat or increases the speed of this movement.

If this does not solve the problem, check again the mail seal o-ring and its retainer ( the white plastic ring the o-ring is mounted in.)

Below there is information about valve seats.

http://ohiohydraulic.com/enerpac/E32...NFORMATION.pdf

Last edited by EDGAR; 06-06-2012 at 12:39 PM.
EDGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #216
burger

Wow! That was quite a reply! I won't be able to work on the jack until the weekend, but when info I'll let you know how it goes.

Ed

"I looked around the garage and had to laugh. Nothing worked. Everything needed something. Some things needed everything. Nothing needed nothing."
- Peter Egan, CycleWorld columnist
burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #217
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger View Post
Any ideas on what else I can check?

Thanks,
Ed
Your Jack is definitely indicating a Valve Issue.. When you rebuilt it did you venture into the Valve(s) or Overload(s)? I suspect its something simple, I doubt you have Seat that is Damaged etc.. Edgar's method of cleaning up a seat is Good, I would rather you first Re-trace your steps before you start hammering on Seats. I suspect something is out of order or you have a contaminate on the seat preventing the ball from seating. Im not familiar with your Jack Model.. If you could post a picture i can probably find you a Breakdown that will aid you with your issue. Also.. If you "Didn't" Tear into the Valves, You will need to.. I suggest you grab a pencil/paper and on any of the Valves that control the overload/speed Changeover you check the amount of Rotations it takes from its current location to completely closed, (Write the rotations down) and then dismantle each one. You can not Properly set the Overload(s) without a Test station. You can use the PM feature to get ahold of me for anything you have issues with. I spend alot of time on the Road and dont always see all the Posts, I have some E-Buddies around here who help out and PM me when i miss a question.
Im Currently not taking any orders or shipping Kits/parts. It's always best to patronize local business's when possible, if not available there are numerous online suppliers. Below, you will find a phone number to HPS, Steve and His Wife are very knowledgable and very economically priced. .

Last edited by Hiball; 06-06-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #218
Hiball

https://www.dsuban.com/website_docs/..._docs/200T.pdf

I expect your problem lies under the "H30" Cap, This is the Working Valve.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #219
mdub

Hi Hiball, Thanks for the great tutorial.

I tore down my Allied jack this weekend and i discovered my ram seal or cup seal has gone bad. I've included a couple pictures below, do you know where i could find a replacement?

Thanks!

mdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #220
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub View Post
Hi Hiball, Thanks for the great tutorial.

I tore down my Allied jack this weekend and i discovered my ram seal or cup seal has gone bad. I've included a couple pictures below, do you know where i could find a replacement?

Thanks!

PM Sent...