Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #21
bry@n
Senior Member
 
bry@n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ocean County, NJ
Posts: 2,755
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

Awesome write up.

Thanks, I am gonna have to print this out.
bry@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #22
Tennesseepowerstroke
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

Thanks Hiball, you de man.
Tennesseepowerstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #23
M900
Senior Member
 
M900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 443
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

I cant thank you enough.
M900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:19 AM   #24
ImportTuner
Moderator
 
ImportTuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,694
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

Best jack rebuild write up I've seen .. thanks!
ImportTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:45 AM   #25
cruiser808
Senior Member
 
cruiser808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 1,921
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportTuner View Post
Best jack rebuild write up I've seen .. thanks!
+1. Now let's take all our old POS Asian jacks and try to fix them with, of course, pictures and feedback on how the projects went. I've got an old Sears made in Japan jack that needs an overhaul. How about you?
cruiser808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #26
oldgoaly
Senior Member
 
oldgoaly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Shiloh, Il
Posts: 276
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

Thanks HiBall!
__________________
Tool-a-holic
oldgoaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:51 PM   #27
usa#1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 249
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

HiBall Thanks for posting this info!!! Excellent stuff!

I've got a jack that looks very similar to this; believe it's a hein werner winner series. It quit working and I had a local guy rebuild it (been 8 or 9 years ago since the rebuild). It lifts fine and doesn't leak but the handle will slowly rise when it's left with a load on it. Never took it back to the rebuilder. What's the problem and how do I fix it?
usa#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:01 AM   #28
Hiball
Senior Member
 
Hiball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Missery
Posts: 12,172
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa#1 View Post
HiBall Thanks for posting this info!!! Excellent stuff!

I've got a jack that looks very similar to this; believe it's a hein werner winner series. It quit working and I had a local guy rebuild it (been 8 or 9 years ago since the rebuild). It lifts fine and doesn't leak but the handle will slowly rise when it's left with a load on it. Never took it back to the rebuilder. What's the problem and how do I fix it?
1 of the valves isnt seating, More than likely the Upper ball. Either there is a foreign substance preventing or the Proper spacer/spring wasnt reinstalled.
__________________
Im Currently not taking any orders or shipping Kits/parts. It's always best to patronize local business's when possible, if not available there are numerous online suppliers. Below, you will find a phone number to HPS, Steve and His Wife are very knowledgable and very economically priced. .



Have a Hydraulic Jack Question? Check Here First..

Need a Seal Kit? Contact Hydraulic Parts Supply at 620-594-2247



BRC 6/9/22 - 3/5/12 My Best Friend and the Greatest Man i ever Knew RIP...
Hiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:11 AM   #29
383astro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 130
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

what about the cheap aluminum jacks that have the spring loaded plunger (not sure thats what it is called but hey)? Ive got one that was great for 7 years but now has leaked all the fluid out. I would like to fix it.

Thanks for the write up, I have an AC Delco my parents bought me for my 17th birthday and it needs attention. I will be using this thread.
383astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:42 AM   #30
Hiball
Senior Member
 
Hiball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Missery
Posts: 12,172
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383astro View Post
what about the cheap aluminum jacks that have the spring loaded plunger (not sure thats what it is called but hey)? Ive got one that was great for 7 years but now has leaked all the fluid out. I would like to fix it.

Thanks for the write up, I have an AC Delco my parents bought me for my 17th birthday and it needs attention. I will be using this thread.
All that spring does is pull the pump back up after the compression stroke. Underneath the spring is a Pump cup/Oring. Start at the top and work your way down till you find your problem.
__________________
Im Currently not taking any orders or shipping Kits/parts. It's always best to patronize local business's when possible, if not available there are numerous online suppliers. Below, you will find a phone number to HPS, Steve and His Wife are very knowledgable and very economically priced. .



Have a Hydraulic Jack Question? Check Here First..

Need a Seal Kit? Contact Hydraulic Parts Supply at 620-594-2247



BRC 6/9/22 - 3/5/12 My Best Friend and the Greatest Man i ever Knew RIP...
Hiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #31
Tool Pants
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 1,220
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

Here is my little contribution for a Chinese Larkin. I bought it so long ago I am not sure where, but I think Costco.

A few years ago I noticed one of the castors had a wobble, because the nut that bolts the castor to the jack had loosened. I took it apart to grease it and one of the balls in the plastic spacer cage was missing. Must have fallen out over the years because the nut was not tight.

I contacted Larkin a few years ago to get another ball, but they wanted to sell me the entire castor. So I passed.

Then I was at the local ACE a few days ago and noticed they had ball bearings - something I had not notice in the years I have been going there. Then I read this post. Remembered the missing ball.

My Larkin castor uses a 15/64 ball. In the second pic I put it in the 7/32 hole because it would fall through while taking a pic if it was in the correct hole.

Today I took the castor apart that should have 9 balls, but had 8. Sure enough, I dropped one on the ground and could not find it. Now I was down to 7 balls.

The next size up is 1/4. So I went to Ace and bought 9 balls. I enlarged the 9 holes in the plastic cage with a 1/4 drill bit to accept the slightly larger balls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ball bearing (1).JPG (131.4 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg ball bearing (2).JPG (121.9 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg ball bearing (0).jpg (103.4 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg ball bearing (5).JPG (105.0 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg ball bearing (6).JPG (118.7 KB, 398 views)

Last edited by Tool Pants; 01-18-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #32
Hiball
Senior Member
 
Hiball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Missery
Posts: 12,172
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants View Post
Here is my little contribution for a Chinese Larkin. I bought it so long ago I am not sure where, but I think Costco.

A few years ago I noticed one of the castors had a wobble, because the nut that bolts the castor to the jack had loosened. I took it apart to grease it and one of the balls in the plastic spacer cage was missing. Must have fallen out over the years because the nut was not tight.

I contacted Larkin a few years ago to get another ball, but they wanted to sell me the entire castor. So I passed.

Then I was at the local ACE a few days ago and noticed they had ball bearings - something I had not notice in the years I have been going there. Then I read this post. Remembered the missing ball.

My Larkin castor uses a 15/64 ball. In the second pic I put it in the 7/32 hole because it would fall through while taking a pic if it was in the correct hole.

Today I took the castor apart that should have 9 balls, but had 8. Sure enough, I dropped one on the ground and could not find it. Now I was down to 7 balls.

The next size up is 1/4. So I went to Ace and bought 9 balls. I enlarged the 9 holes in the plastic cage with a 1/4 drill bit to accept the slightly larger balls.
Just another example how a little time and ingenuity can save you some money in the long run, Now that you have saved a few bucks you can upgrade to real beverage instead of drinking "Natural Light" LOL
__________________
Im Currently not taking any orders or shipping Kits/parts. It's always best to patronize local business's when possible, if not available there are numerous online suppliers. Below, you will find a phone number to HPS, Steve and His Wife are very knowledgable and very economically priced. .



Have a Hydraulic Jack Question? Check Here First..

Need a Seal Kit? Contact Hydraulic Parts Supply at 620-594-2247



BRC 6/9/22 - 3/5/12 My Best Friend and the Greatest Man i ever Knew RIP...
Hiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #33
mkdive
Senior Member
 
mkdive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NPB (Socal)
Posts: 2,646
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

Great write up....thanks!
__________________
"Hammer to shape, Grind or File to fit, Paint to match!"
Posted by Fedwrench
"As a tool whore, it is my duty to have wrenches for every possible occasion".
Posted by TAMPAGT07
"I like my ratchets how I like my women, the more teeth the better".
Posted by stricht8
"When life is over as we know it there will be cockroaches eating Twinkies using craftsman RHFT ratchets."

mkdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:59 AM   #34
1stwarrior95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 647
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

Almost tore into one of my floorjacks today, but got sidetracked...LOL

Is there a big diference in american made jacks as far as the mechanicals go?
1stwarrior95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #35
grt
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

thanks for the write up
grt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #36
Hiball
Senior Member
 
Hiball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Missery
Posts: 12,172
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stwarrior95 View Post
Almost tore into one of my floorjacks today, but got sidetracked...LOL

Is there a big diference in american made jacks as far as the mechanicals go?
Depends on models but yes there are many differences along with some similar tendencies.
__________________
Im Currently not taking any orders or shipping Kits/parts. It's always best to patronize local business's when possible, if not available there are numerous online suppliers. Below, you will find a phone number to HPS, Steve and His Wife are very knowledgable and very economically priced. .



Have a Hydraulic Jack Question? Check Here First..

Need a Seal Kit? Contact Hydraulic Parts Supply at 620-594-2247



BRC 6/9/22 - 3/5/12 My Best Friend and the Greatest Man i ever Knew RIP...
Hiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #37
MrRocket
Junior Member
 
MrRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jefferson City, Mo.
Posts: 26
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

This has been very helpful and was the reason I found the Garage Journal. I did a Google search for "handle return spring" and this thread came up and here I am. Awesome!
MrRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:15 PM   #38
Hiball
Senior Member
 
Hiball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Missery
Posts: 12,172
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRocket View Post
This has been very helpful and was the reason I found the Garage Journal. I did a Google search for "handle return spring" and this thread came up and here I am. Awesome!
Ill check on that spring tomorrow for you. Congrats on becoming a member, Its a great place to hang out and get some valuable information on everything Garage related.
__________________
Im Currently not taking any orders or shipping Kits/parts. It's always best to patronize local business's when possible, if not available there are numerous online suppliers. Below, you will find a phone number to HPS, Steve and His Wife are very knowledgable and very economically priced. .



Have a Hydraulic Jack Question? Check Here First..

Need a Seal Kit? Contact Hydraulic Parts Supply at 620-594-2247



BRC 6/9/22 - 3/5/12 My Best Friend and the Greatest Man i ever Knew RIP...
Hiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:01 AM   #39
1stwarrior95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 647
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

Got started on mine today!

Mine's a little different than yours though. Any idea of the brand? It is an overseas specimen though, right? LOL





What's this welded hole?

1stwarrior95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #40
Hiball
Senior Member
 
Hiball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Missery
Posts: 12,172
Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

No idea on the the retailer but it is essentially the same jack.
__________________
Im Currently not taking any orders or shipping Kits/parts. It's always best to patronize local business's when possible, if not available there are numerous online suppliers. Below, you will find a phone number to HPS, Steve and His Wife are very knowledgable and very economically priced. .



Have a Hydraulic Jack Question? Check Here First..

Need a Seal Kit? Contact Hydraulic Parts Supply at 620-594-2247



BRC 6/9/22 - 3/5/12 My Best Friend and the Greatest Man i ever Knew RIP...
Hiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.