Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #41
1stwarrior95

Default Re: Overseas Jack Rebuild Help Tutorial.

This isn't good, no?

I was hoping for the overload valve being backed off being the problem.
No such luck. The overload valve was tightened all the way down. I'm assuming that's what caused the seal blowing out?

Since this one has some sort of cup seal it looks like instead of the o-ring like yours, is it still feasable to rebuild it? Where could I get the seal? You maybe? LOL
1stwarrior95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #42
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stwarrior95 View Post
This isn't good, no?

I was hoping for the overload valve being backed off being the problem.
No such luck. The overload valve was tightened all the way down. I'm assuming that's what caused the seal blowing out?

Since this one has some sort of cup seal it looks like instead of the o-ring like yours, is it still feasable to rebuild it? Where could I get the seal? You maybe? LOL
I just need some measurements, BE CAREFUL not to lose that cross pin, inside that hole is a tiny itty bitty pin. Take some tape and mask around it now im warning you.

On another note.. No the Ram cup has deterorated but on the plus side you have one of the better overseas jacks.
Im Currently not taking any orders or shipping Kits/parts. It's always best to patronize local business's when possible, if not available there are numerous online suppliers. Below, you will find a phone number to HPS, Steve and His Wife are very knowledgable and very economically priced. .

Have a Hydraulic Jack Question? Check Here First..

Need a Seal Kit? Contact Hydraulic Parts Supply at 620-594-2247

BRC 6/9/22 - 3/5/12 My Best Friend and the Greatest Man i ever Knew RIP...
Hiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #43
1stwarrior95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiball View Post
I just need some measurements, BE CAREFUL not to lose that cross pin, inside that hole is a tiny itty bitty pin. Take some tape and mask around it now im warning you.

On another note.. No the Ram cup has deterorated but on the plus side you have one of the better overseas jacks.
Good news then! I'll PM ya on the measurements.

Thanks for the warning on the cross pin too. (I wiggled it around a little to see if it'd come out, then decided I'd better leave it be...) LOL

1stwarrior95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #44
sporkedtospec

"If your jack was working fine except for leaking write down how many revolutions it took and upon reinstallation set it back to factory settings. If you dont remember or fail to head this warning 2 full turns back from full set is a good starting point."

I read in a previous thread you advised to set the screw all the way and back it out 1/2 turn. Here you advise to back it 2 full turns. Not calling it out, simply curious to know if 1/2 turn is still safe to try as a fix.

I have a problem with my "new to me" jack leaking down and found that it was around 2 full rotations away from full set with oil over the screw head in the cavity. 1/2 turn would make sense to solve the leak down, but don't want to risk blowing out a seal while under weight.

It's an older Larin, heavy and surprisingly well constructed with a built in foot foot pedal pump to set the jack in place, and a goofy handle with a lever to engage the on off valve.
sporkedtospec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #45
240sxguy

Send a message via AIM to 240sxguy

Hiball, somewhat off topic but I have a craftsman aluminum/steel hybrid jack. I think its the same pump as the ones you picture. Thank you!

Do you have any good and reliable source for replacement casters? My jack lost a bunch of bearings from one caster.

Evan
240sxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #46
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxguy View Post
Hiball, somewhat off topic but I have a craftsman aluminum/steel hybrid jack. I think its the same pump as the ones you picture. Thank you!

Do you have any good and reliable source for replacement casters? My jack lost a bunch of bearings from one caster.

Evan
With a little info i can get casters, I might recommend just buying the correct ball bearing size and fixing the old one if its possible to still fasten down. It will be cheaper for you in the long run.
Im Currently not taking any orders or shipping Kits/parts. It's always best to patronize local business's when possible, if not available there are numerous online suppliers. Below, you will find a phone number to HPS, Steve and His Wife are very knowledgable and very economically priced. .

Old 02-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #47
Flathead Youngin'

How in the world did I miss this thread? Very timely for me....

A buddy gave me a leaking floor jack several years ago. He claimed it was a sealed housing. I never looked, kicked it out of my way for a few years and then scrapped it.

About a year ago, my "newest" jack started not pumping all the way up. I shoved it aside thinking it was probably a chicom sealed one too. I just haven't had time to chuck it out the door yet.

However, this thread has me wanting to go home and tear her down. Where does a guy get the seals? I see you are offering but I'd like to know for future reference....
Flathead Youngin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #48
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Youngin' View Post
How in the world did I miss this thread? Very timely for me....

A buddy gave me a leaking floor jack several years ago. He claimed it was a sealed housing. I never looked, kicked it out of my way for a few years and then scrapped it.

About a year ago, my "newest" jack started not pumping all the way up. I shoved it aside thinking it was probably a chicom sealed one too. I just haven't had time to chuck it out the door yet.

However, this thread has me wanting to go home and tear her down. Where does a guy get the seals? I see you are offering but I'd like to know for future reference....
As far as Orings etc, Im recomending that people buy the Metric Oring kit from HF. Its probably gonna have everything you need for the pump, Tank nut etc. IF your jack has a Poly Cup on it, I can source them with some measurements.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #49
Flathead Youngin'

Ok, I'm a few sandwiches short of a picnic.....

I clicked on your link, you sell stuff. You are the type of "source" I was talking about. I knew you didn't just find these specialized parts laying around.

Cool. I'll buy from you when I get there.

I forgot to add in my original post, thanks a bunch for sharing. Some people like to keep info. like this close to their chest.....

When I tear mine down- might be a few months- I'll post my results here.....

Quote:
As far as Orings etc, Im recomending that people buy the Metric Oring kit from HF. Its probably gonna have everything you need for the pump, Tank nut etc. IF your jack has a Poly Cup on it, I can source them with some measurements.
Flathead Youngin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #50
MrRocket

Hiball, Check your PM. I have tried to send you something twice and my PM shows no sent items. Anyway, wanting to know if you have recieved anything. You should check your Paypal account if you have not recieved a PM from me, thanks.

The right tool for the job makes all the difference.
MrRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #51
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRocket View Post
Hiball, Check your PM. I have tried to send you something twice and my PM shows no sent items. Anyway, wanting to know if you have recieved anything. You should check your Paypal account if you have not recieved a PM from me, thanks.
Paul your spring shipped Monday, You have to change something in your profile settings to show "Sent" Pm's. I responded via pm also.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:49 AM   #52
MrRocket

I recieved it that evening and intsalled it on the jack. It is a bit smaller that the one I need but it will work until I come across the right size. I guess it needs to be a bit bigger guage wire and needs to be a bit longer at both ends. I'm glad to have something keeping my handle from falling down. If you find something else that might be a better fit let me know.Thanks Hiball

The right tool for the job makes all the difference.
MrRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #53
IONH

Hiball, great write up!

I have a couple of jacks sitting in my garage. One at first would jack up a car and slowly let it decline again. Eventually it wouldn't even jack the car up at all but the head would still lift until it met resistance (weight of the vehicle).

The other stopped jacking up one day. If I had lifted the car up already somehow, it would hold the car (think I was just playing around and testing the point of failure). It just wouldn't jack the car up on its own.

I know you would probably rather that jacks with symptoms like the above be fully rebuilt. I am just not confident enough to do that if I don't absolutely need to. Can you make an educated guess, using your illustrations, which particular seals failed on mine based on the symptoms provided?

As a side note, neither leaked fluid from any part of the piston. I did try to fill and bleed one but it was already full and no air bubbles came out so I do not think that is the issue either.

Thanks in advance if you can help!
IONH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #54
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by IONH View Post
Hiball, great write up!

I have a couple of jacks sitting in my garage. One at first would jack up a car and slowly let it decline again. Eventually it wouldn't even jack the car up at all but the head would still lift until it met resistance (weight of the vehicle).

The other stopped jacking up one day. If I had lifted the car up already somehow, it would hold the car (think I was just playing around and testing the point of failure). It just wouldn't jack the car up on its own.

I know you would probably rather that jacks with symptoms like the above be fully rebuilt. I am just not confident enough to do that if I don't absolutely need to. Can you make an educated guess, using your illustrations, which particular seals failed on mine based on the symptoms provided?

As a side note, neither leaked fluid from any part of the piston. I did try to fill and bleed one but it was already full and no air bubbles came out so I do not think that is the issue either.

Thanks in advance if you can help!
These jacks are very simple, Its sounds like a valve system problem to me, Possibly the overload. Without taking it apart you wont be able to rule out the Ram cup being the culprit though.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:35 AM   #55
IONH

Quote:
These jacks are very simple, Its sounds like a valve system problem to me, Possibly the overload. Without taking it apart you wont be able to rule out the Ram cup being the culprit though.
Thanks Hiball. I'll have to take a look at it sometime and see if I can figure it out. Would be nice to get one of my full size jacks back.
IONH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #56
cruiser808

This is the best import jack repair thread on the internet, period.
cruiser808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #57
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser808 View Post
This is the best import jack repair thread on the internet, period.
Thanks!!! This project was actually hard for me, I can have one of these jacks tore down, rebuilt and put back together in 15 min. It took me like 2 hours to organize pics and give a detailed description.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #58
CmbtApl

What a great thread. I too have pulled out my hair with the Chinese jacks... Currently, I have both a Larin (quick lift) jack and a Craftsman 3ton jack. Both behave the same....

when there is no load on the jack, it won't pump up. It acts like there is air in the cylinder, pump, pump, pump, up, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, up. Once it gets some weight on it it seems to pump up better, but it is still iffy. It holds once it gets some significant pressure on it...the car doesn't drop and everything works pretty well if I can pump it up.

I don't see any fluid leaks anywhere and I've tried bleeding it by pumping the handle with the fill port open and the release valve open. (Is that correct?) It appears to be full of fluid as well.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what the problem may be and how to go about fixing it.

Thanks
CmbtApl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #59
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmbtApl View Post
What a great thread. I too have pulled out my hair with the Chinese jacks... Currently, I have both a Larin (quick lift) jack and a Craftsman 3ton jack. Both behave the same....

when there is no load on the jack, it won't pump up. It acts like there is air in the cylinder, pump, pump, pump, up, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, up. Once it gets some weight on it it seems to pump up better, but it is still iffy. It holds once it gets some significant pressure on it...the car doesn't drop and everything works pretty well if I can pump it up.

I don't see any fluid leaks anywhere and I've tried bleeding it by pumping the handle with the fill port open and the release valve open. (Is that correct?) It appears to be full of fluid as well.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what the problem may be and how to go about fixing it.

Thanks
Its really hard to diagnose a jack over the internet but the first place i would look at is the condition of the Pump seals. They work in 2 different ways, 1 is pulling oil from the resevoir into the pump cylinder then reversing the oil back into the Ram. 1 Leaking/Bypassing Pump will quickly fill the valves with air and oil if its bad. Pictures of the Jack Unit itself?

Old 03-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #60
CmbtApl

Ok, thank you.

I have attached the pictures of my Craftsman jack. It looks just like the one in your thread. When I try to bleed it, it looks like there may be some tiny bubbles in the jack oil but I'm not certain if I am introducing them or if they are a symptom of the problem.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 206_0692.jpg (145.4 KB, 455 views)
File Type: jpg 206_0693.jpg (142.4 KB, 369 views)
CmbtApl is offline   Reply With Quote