Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
OceanStateTuning

Default My floor with the Legacy Industrial kit

Here is my review:

Anyway I was planning to use Epoxy Coat because I saw it at Sema I believe and liked the product a lot ANYWAY Scotty over at Legacy Industrial hit me up and ended up selling me his product as it was very similar and such. Anyway I get it and find out the day I was installing it that the Clear with his kit wont work with Decals. Because it was a competely different style clear then Epoxy Coat that can submerge decals with (What I thought I was getting) Anyway besides the point I put the base down, came out good but had a couple of low spots (His 600 sqft kit just about did my 480 sq ft garage) I put my flakes down and it looked good. Debating on using his clear with or without my logo or sending it back for credit toward the other clear but he claims its a bunch better clear (I wanted the nice thick, deep look, not so much the wet look) Anyway I used one gallon of clear after 12 hours and it came out good, made the low spots not look dry, of course it didn't fill in the pourus spots. I waited 12 more hours for the second coat with the other gallon and put it on, it dried and wow it did fish eye. Floor looks absolutly terrible, nothing even close to what I wanted or was expecting. Anyway not knocking his product at all just should of stuck to plan A but could not get a hold of Christine any time I called. Anyway here is the pictures:

I shouldn't of applied the second coat because it looked okay till that, was hoping the second coat was gonna help give it the thick look/feel I was hoping for. I installed both layers very thin, not sure what happened, not happy at all but this is what I get to live with.
OceanStateTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
OceanStateTuning

Default Re: My floor with the Legacy Industrial kit

I still have like 1/3 gallon left of clear, might try to hit some with another thin coat to see what happens
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
Kevin54

Not knowing much about it, but it looks like the flakes may have caused it as all of the fisheyes are around each flake. You didn't happen to dump them in a bucket or anything to broadcast them out did you. If so, maybe the bucket or pail was contaminated with something that had silicone or something similar.
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
OceanStateTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin54 View Post
Not knowing much about it, but it looks like the flakes may have caused it as all of the fisheyes are around each flake. You didn't happen to dump them in a bucket or anything to broadcast them out did you. If so, maybe the bucket or pail was contaminated with something that had silicone or something similar.

Came out of the bags provided with the kit, tossed them by hand
Old 05-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
les_garten
Banned

Location: PSL, FL Next door to Megan FOX, and down the street from Vanilla ICE

I would not touch anything till Scott replies.
les_garten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
LegacyIndustrial

Kyle,
Looks like a blush from high humidity. We discussed you waiting on this project because of the inbound humid conditions. Apparently, you did not take my advice.

Coating over this without properely grinding the coating back to the epoxy will likely cause a failure.

I am not happy about your situation. However, I am glad you posted these photos as they are good reminder of what happens when you second guess a manufacturer's advice.

I will talk to our team in the morning to see what can be done.
LegacyIndustrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
LegacyIndustrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanStateTuning View Post
Came out of the bags provided with the kit, tossed them by hand
Kevin, he has one coat of urethane down without a problem, if the flakes were contaminated the first coat would have fish-eyed. This is likely caused by a blush from high humidity.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
OceanStateTuning

I don't think it was humidity though, I was overly worried about it so I kept my Dehumidifier running (70 pint one) set at 65% and it didn't pull that much besides I have one of those weather station things on my house that measures it and was 85% today outside, It says up to 90% for your moisture cured urethane. I got lucky with no rain today as they had changed the chance of rain % the other day but looks like tomorrow or late tonight should deffinitally rain but I can walk on it
Old 05-24-2011, 07:18 AM   #9
LegacyIndustrial

Kyle:

Good morning. The solution is to sand and re-coat the floor. We can go back and forth all day on the relative humidity, the bottom line is you applied urethane down on a contaminated floor and that caused the fish-eyes.

You did not do anything wrong by applying the second coat as that is a standard practice. I feel badly anytime a floor goes wrong, my product or not. It is a no-win situation for either of us.

I will gladly send you up some more coatings including a 100% solids clear with a UV inhibitor if you wish to try again, at my expense.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #10
Nighttrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyIndustrial View Post
Kyle:

Good morning. The solution is to sand and re-coat the floor. We can go back and forth all day on the relative humidity, the bottom line is you applied urethane down on a contaminated floor and that caused the fish-eyes.

You did not do anything wrong by applying the second coat as that is a standard practice. I feel badly anytime a floor goes wrong, my product or not. It is a no-win situation for either of us.

I will gladly send you up some more coatings including a 100% solids clear with a UV inhibitor if you wish to try again, at my expense.

Way to stand behind your product Scotty. I would think anything over 50% humidity would be way too much. But I do live in Texas and we are very dry and can paint etc on most days.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:38 AM   #11
OceanStateTuning

How far does it need to get sanded down? Will it ruin the flakes? I thought the clear needed to be put on at 60-90% humidity according to the product sheet, Just curious how the floor would of got contaminated or are you talking about the moisture?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
OceanStateTuning

Talked to Scott this morning, he is going to help me out and get me the clear I had wanted. Anyway I was not trying to talk bad about his product but this happened to me so might be able to happen to you. I don't think Humidity had anything to do with this but something was off. Anyway I need to sand the floor down to a base, Hopefully will do that this weekend or next week (I have a car that the guy has been on me 24/7 about finishing so I need to use my lift first before I can sand it off) Anyway I will post up pictures and stuff of the new floor
Old 05-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
LegacyIndustrial

and the saga continues...

We believe the problem lies with the chips. We did a test and they appear to have a little release agent on them. We will take this up with our vendor.

Kyle has been a good egg through this inconvenience and I appreciate his communication. We are sending him our very best 100% solids UV Safe Clear Coat to mend the floor.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #14
rugerlady

Ocean State - sorry we played phone tag. I do sometimes get very busy!
Scotty - wow, that sucks. I am hoping we are not using the same flake vendor!! Way to stand behind your customers though!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #15
bas157

If it is a release agent on the chips, that could be bad for a bunch of other people with chips from the same batch!
bas157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #16
LegacyIndustrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas157 View Post
If it is a release agent on the chips, that could be bad for a bunch of other people with chips from the same batch!
The blue chips are the problem. It wouldn't have affected the project as much if it was a full chip or an epoxy clear. Urethanes are so thin they are influenced more by this when curing.

Just glad to have figured it out.

Last edited by LegacyIndustrial; 05-25-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #17
OceanStateTuning

Wow! I just went out to the garage and looked EVERY single blue chip, no matter how small had the clear repel. My girl told me not to do the blue too, so no one let her find out this was the cause lol Anyway the flakes look exactly how I wanted it too and would of been fine if there was no clear on it. Crazy how this happened but atleast we found the problem... I TOLD YOU IT WASN'T THE HUMIDITY!!! Anyway Scotty is taking care of me well so hopefully I can get some new pictures up soon.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #18
Capt Chrysler

Hello Scott,

You handled this problem/condition, in a manner that is uncommon these days.

Kudos to you sir.

Capt. Chrysler

release agent: like in plastic mold release agent?
Capt Chrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:20 AM   #19
munkey

Kevin wins; correctly guessed the problem in less than an hour after the original post went up. Seems obvious now that we know.

Interesting case, especially looking back at the photos.
munkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:35 AM   #20
LegacyIndustrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Chrysler View Post
Hello Scott,

You handled this problem/condition, in a manner that is uncommon these days.

Kudos to you sir.

Capt. Chrysler

release agent: like in plastic mold release agent?
Thank you Captain.
Yes, it's funny how these chips are made. The are sprayed or poured out into pans. Prior to that, the pans are sprayed with a non-stick release agent (like Pam).

Once cured, they run the sheets through a chopper which makes the chips.

I talked to a few people yesterday that have had similar issues with blue chips.

Tags
epoxy, floor, industrial, legacy, urathane