Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
flybefree

Wink My Build: Simply a Mr. Jack Olsen inspired 1930 Auto Bunker House Geobarn Homage

Thanks to everyone who has shared their build stories here, it's been a real pleasure just reading your stories. I haven't posted much, but I wanted to share what little I can to sort of give back...if nothing else to serve as a warning to others on what not to do! I'm not much of a writer or photographer, I'm not funny, I'm not a screen writer, airline pilot, blacksmith, car guy, or machinist so I really feel sorry for guys having to read this...stop now please, save yourselves from pure boredom.

I mean it...

Ok, since I can now assume just my wife is reading I will continue.

I have been reading countless build threads on this forum for years now, just like many folks planning and plotting for the day that I could build my own version of mantopia. I was going to lovingly hand craft every single piece of this masterpiece from old growth timber, include all the great ideas I have read here over a two year period, and get it done in four weeks for $14,235.24 including the pad, 200 amp three phase electric service, and the Snap-on tool chest with matching fridge. It was going to as comfortable to work in as it was stylish to behold...it was going to be so unbelievealbe sweet I would never want to leave and actually drive my all original Shelby Cobra with matching numbers/Lamborghini (good Lord I can't even fake the spelling on that one)/Porsche/All the cool cars you guys have/Honda Mini-van. (Full disclosure: I actually only own the mini-van)

I soon realized what many of you have done is really pretty hard to do...and I really don't know what I am doing here. But since I am and AmerCAN not an AmerCAN'T I refused to let the obstacles (some would say realities) and started working on my Mr. Jack Olsen (assuming it's not Sir Jack, after PM ran that article who knows what might have come out of Buckingham Palace) 1930's Auto Bunker House Geobarn Homage anyhow. I am frankly not sure when or how it will be be completed...but it is started.

UPDATE: After spending 15 minutes trying to load my first picture I now understand why I frequently read about guys having trouble adding pictures. I always thought it was because "they" were not an iPad having computer genuis such as myself. Perhaps I was wrong to be so smug...if I can find my black turtleneck I will post a photo quick so I don't get booed off the stage.
flybefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
flybefree

Default Re: My Build: Simply a Mr. Jack Olsen inspired 1930 Auto Bunker House Geobarn Homage

Building A: Cinder Block shed/shop
Building B: Old chicken coop converted to a shed
Building site below Building B and next to the grain bin...the white "beer stein" was the first location proposed.

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
flybefree

Default Re: My Build: Simply a Mr. Jack Olsen inspired 1930 Auto Bunker House Geobarn Homage

Wow...got one photo up. Good.

Started serious planning on the Mr. Jack Olsen inspired 1930s Auto Bunker Geobarn Homage three years ago. Using the state of the art satellite imagergy above I planned each move like a chess grand master. First, I tore down an old chicken coup marked B on your map. My brother Mike and I spend three days in the burning hot July sun tearing it apart piece by piece so we could salvage the wood and recycle what remained of the standing seam roof. The chicken coup had a low roof and was not a fitting home for my collection of exotic automobiles and automobile memorobilla...or my Honda Odyssey.

Then my wife got pregnant and I did nothing but read Build Threads here for two years...#1 Son hits the scene.

Then my wife got pregnant and I did nothing but read Build Threads Here for two years...#2 Son hits the scene.

THEN I got serious.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Alabama Mike

From your intricate drawing I see that your building will look like a beer stein. I'm subscribed to this build!

Also, you may have the chops to be a screenwriter...you should re-check your quals.
Alabama Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
flybefree

The build site is on our farm in Ohio...I know this is the GarageJournal so I hesitate to say this...but this building will not be 100% Garage, you may in fact hear mention of tractors and other things not normally found in the best of the best builds here. The building will be about 60 x 40 x 14 plus a little bumpout for a small office. Intent is for the building to house our farm workshop, allow us to pull maintenance on our fleet, have room left for a few fun projects and a place to park the airplane. Taking the advice of many here I pushed the building size to top end of our budget...thanks for that encouragment.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
flybefree

Mike,

I am still furiously typing...trying to get a respectable first post together so I don't get run out of town here...quit making me laugh.

Shaun
Old 07-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
omr
Banned

subscribed .
omr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
flybefree

All Kidding aside, the big next step was finding a builder. The guys here were a great resource, and I really did want to build a Geobarn, they are just beautiful. And because when a yuck off the street in Ohio called George at Geobarns he was a complete gentlemen and a swell guy. Ended up going with the guy that built my friends barn next door, but I hope to build a Geobarn next.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
flybefree

Old 07-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
flybefree

This was the first draft, wanted a 14' high roll up door access into the shop side and a 38' wide bi-fold to get aircraft in and out. I must of sketched out 20 different designs to include a gambrel roofed version with a second floor for office. Abandoned the gambrel roof once I saw it would end up being closer to 30' tall...which was too tall too close to the house for the wife.

SMB
Old 07-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
Omphaloskeptic

What!? A farmer who can afford to own his own airplane! What kind of crop are you growing, money trees? lol

Good luck on the build. Let's see your POA (Plan Of Action) and of course your 'detailed' building plans. You know the drill, you expose your 'field of dreams', we 'critique' the plans, you build the modified version(s), and then we, in our endearing manner, ask why you built it 'that' way.
Omphaloskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
Charles (in GA)

38 foot is quite marginal for door width on an hangar. You will have little to play with and run the risk of dinging a wingtip every time you go in and out. Remember, a 38 ft door has the columns that it rides up and down on, intruding 3 to 4 inches inside of that meaning your opening is something just over 37 ft. My Wilson Door aircraft dimension chart shows Navions having from 33' 3" to 34' 9" wingspan depending on model. Get a different airplane and you may have a problem. A Cessna 182 for example (a popular aircraft for farmers, its built tough like a tractor!) has a wingspan of right at 36" depending on what wingtips you have on it.

Bi-fold doors place some unusual stresses on a building, which need to be taken into consideration by whoever engineers the building. You are only allowing yourself 12 inches on each side of the door. I suspect you will need more than that. I would seriously consider bumping the width to about 45 ft to give you a little more margin for future "growth". edit: I see from the drawings that the dimensions are actually 42x64x16 but I would still look at 45 ft with a 40 ft door. If you have a 14 ft opening a bifold door will give you about 12 to 12' 6" of height, unless you use a Hi-lift brand, which will give you virtually all of the 14 ft.

Charles

Last edited by Charles (in GA); 07-22-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
carlsondajj

Subscribed. I'm guessing that your airstrip is somewhere in the dirt field toward the bottom of your first picture?
carlsondajj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #14
Red Leader

The vintage builds are fun and cool not only because they pay homage to a time long since past, they include (and save/preserve) many old things that most probably would have just thrown to the scrapper. Then, of course, they just look cool.

Sounds like you've probably got quite a vision and a lot of ideas from perusing the forums for so long. I think that goes a long way and helps to give a LOT of ideas that will make the finished product a lot better.

Oh, and don't worry too much about any lack of skills - you'll pick them up as you go, especially if, like me, your garage budget is whatever you have at the end of the month. You'll figure some stuff out right away, you'll make mistakes, you'll learn from them, and you'll get a lot of great help, positive feedback, and great suggestions from other members on this site. I know that I have.

Here's to a great build!!!

Currently looking for the following vintage Craftsman tools:
1940-1941 Craftsman 101.02180 9" cabinet saw - link
1956-1957 Craftsman 12" Foley-Belsaw planer - link
1940s floor press model 103-0304
1939-1940 10" band saw model 103.0101
Also looking for a 1942 Craftsman shop vise:
http://images116.fotki.com/v693/phot...49_01PM-vi.png

Last edited by Red Leader; 07-22-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #15
ZRX61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles (in GA) View Post
You are only allowing yourself 12 inches on each side of the door. I suspect you will need more than that.

Charles

I've moved T6's in & out of hangars with 3in clearance on each side for years with no problems... That's why ya paint a centerline on the floor...

Tool Afflictionardo

I'd rather have an "airplane guy" work on my keyboard than have a "keyboard guy" work on my airplane.
ZRX61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #16
omr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
I've moved T6's in & out of hangars with 3in clearance on each side for years with no problems... That's why ya paint a centerline on the floor...
center line was my first thought
omr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #17
flybefree

Omphaloskeptic: Technically I am a bi-vocational agriculturalist...right now I have two jobs and I farm "on the side"...my goal is to one day soon get the farm up to the point where I can only have one job. Airplane is a 1951 Navion, like in the sig block...nothing special but I love it. I'm absolutely sure I am going to get some great feedback here...delivered with sensitivity and caring.

Charles: You were spot on...did end up going with 42' and a 38' clear span door. I did the same thing you did, checked out the wingspans of some of my dream machines and made the most cost effective comprimise...don't worry, my P-51 Mustang will still fit! I chose the builder because he had put a bifold on a similar build nearby...I share your concerns about the stress on that end of the building.

Carlson: I see you closely studied my state of the art satellite imagery...I plan on laying out a 2200' grass strip just off that shot to the bottom. I have soybeans in there right now, will not plant the grass until the hangar is completed.

Red Leader: Thanks...I am going to strive hard to add some vintage touches to what is otherwise just a plain old pole barn...the attention to detail and craftsman ship that you guys have all shown in your builds is what I have learned the most from. Budget...it all comes down to budget.

ZRX81: Nice pic in the sig block...my Navion is a Ryan built A model, but I have quite a few North American parts on her. One of my projects for the hangar will be giving her an "update" with a paint scheme similar to the one in my sig block. I think a T-6 would fit in my door too...

Omr: Centerline will surely be there...I haven't got to the decision on the floor covering yet...I have done epoxy in my garage, but I don't know.

Shaun
Old 07-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #18
flybefree

Initial sketch of the office area

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:17 AM   #19
flybefree

After we came up with the first design draft I was pretty happy...but then in the back of my mind I heard every single one of you who had ever built a garage say "Build it as big as you can afford" and "You can't ever build it big enough." I reviewed the budget and found that if I could wait on the finishes I could add some square footage to the initial build so I started playing around with adding a 24 x 24 office to the side of the main building...see above. If you look at the sketch of building site you can see I put the office off to the side of the main building with an 8ft porch out front.

Shaun
Old 07-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #20
flybefree

This is the building we used as the "inspiration" for our design

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Tags
airplanes, biplane, farm, hangar, tractors