Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #21
flybefree

Default Re: My Build: Simply a Mr. Jack Olsen inspired 1930 Auto Bunker House Geobarn Homage

Once I had decided to "stretch" the build into something a bit more than a basic building my wife saw a picture of the building above built by the gentlemen locally and decided ours should look like that one. So we pretty much just copied some of the colors and finishes...it did make it easier having a particular building in mind to use as a guide.

Shaun
flybefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #22
markviii

Default Re: My Build: Simply a Mr. Jack Olsen inspired 1930 Auto Bunker House Geobarn Homage

Nice plans. I like the colors - your wife has good taste!

Chris
markviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #23
Trucky

Looking great! You might want to sneak a "Jack Olsen face" photo in there with your Porsche. If you have one If not, I'm sure any auto will do

Your typing is fine by the way. I don't think anyone expects Harvard-level writing from anyone else here.

Last edited by Trucky; 07-23-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Their =/= there -_-
Trucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #24
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Beautiful!
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #25
gabedad

As a proud geobarn owner I can see the geobarn touches - nice Job!
gabedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #26
jake1086

what exactly is a "geo barn" ? I'm about to build a shop/loft home and am looking at different ideas. Sorry If I'm side tracking not my intent.
jake1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #27
gabedad

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=84405

www.geobarns.com
gabedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #28
flybefree

Chris: Thanks, my wife does have good taste. One change we did make from the "inspiration" design was to have a green roof vs. dark brown. The green is sort of a light "Mr. Jack Olsen" green. I have spent many hours reading about your wonderful project, I only hope ours turns out 1/2 nice.

Mr. Olsen: Thanks, that is the building we used as our inspiration. We changed to roof color and changed some of the layout, but the over all look will be pretty much the same including the porch which I am really excited about. Sitting on the porch in the country is one of my favorite sports.

Gabedad: Thanks, one thing in particular I am thinking bout is using the wood I salvaged from the demo(s) to use as an interior wall treatment of some sort. I hope to add at least some sort of vintage charm this way. I have a good amount of wood so I think it will work. I love your barn, simply classic.

Jake 1086: If you have any interest in Geobarns call George, he is really a gentlemen and will kindly answer any questions. We have a Walters and Morton building on our property and I shopped around to about 3 other local and national building companies before deciding on who to go with. Geobarns were more expensive, but for a building like Gabedad made they are not all that much more. The only part of this process that I think I handled well was picking a builder and a building style.

Shaun
Old 07-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #29
flybefree

Old 07-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #30
flybefree

So we added the 24 x 24 office off to the east of the main shop with the porch facing the house. Decided to have the roll up door face in towards the barnyard and the hangar door facing out towards the field. Picked the colors then ordered the building in April this year. The build started, will catch up and add the play by play. Decided on final dimension of 14'8" for the eave height on the main building with a high clearance truss design to allow for the 14' roll up door.

HVAC: This has been a tougher decision. I had my heart set on in-floor radiant heat...if I had the time to do it myself I would have tried it, but gentlemen you can't believe how much the lowest bid was to just put the pex into the slab. The price was just too much to bear on the budget. I have decided to go with radiant tubes in the shop and I am still thinking about what to do with the office for heat. Suggestions there would be welcomed. The one bit of advice I did take from you all was to not skip on insulation...R-19/30 and putting 2" blue board down to insulate the pad.

Floor: Putting down a 12 inch concrete slab with 2" rebar sitting on 3 3/4" high carbide chairs....well, actually 5 inches of fibermix, but I had you thinking there for a second "My GAWD that's HOW you should pour a pad... course it will probably crack because you went cheap and skipped the 13th inch of pad"....this is my Bunker garage shout out by the way, that place will survive the zombie appoxyclypse. Speaking of which we should have a fighting chance as well since we have such wonderful fields of fire towards to the road.

Electrical: planning on 200amp service..220 drop right at the grain bin west of the build.

Lighting: Still working the plan...

Another serious question...epoxy for a farm shop/garage/hangar?

I feel like I should have all of this figured out already, I hope that I am not the only guy to ever break ground with only the 75% solution on paper...I could be hosed.

Shaun

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #31
nkachur

I broke ground yesterday and I think the 75% solution has me beat by about 25% or maybe 40%.

Have you broken ground yet?
nkachur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #32
neutral

I are JEALOUS!!!
neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #33
flybefree

Nkachur, yep we broke ground...things are going well. The only part of the basic construction the concerns me is the concrete...if it doesn't turn out well I will probably cry like a little girl.

Smb
Old 07-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #34
flybefree

Trucky: my car is so boring I don't even have a picture....2005 Scion xb...that's right men, 85 hp wheter you want them or not. The nice car in our family is the Honda minivan...silver, really makes a statement at the car shows/drag strip. Says I have kids and I value reliable transportation.

Smb
Old 07-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #35
Trucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybefree View Post
Trucky: my car is so boring I don't even have a picture....2005 Scion xb...that's right men, 85 hp wheter you want them or not. The nice car in our family is the Honda minivan...silver, really makes a statement at the car shows/drag strip. Says I have kids and I value reliable transportation.

Smb
Hey, those make from 130 to 248 horses depending on how old it is Nothing wrong with a budget box either, they do get the job done. I have a Grand Am... woo 150 horsepower -_- I'm not running 10s at the strip either lol
Trucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:34 AM   #36
Red Leader

I want to see the plane

Currently looking for the following vintage Craftsman tools:
1940-1941 Craftsman 101.02180 9" cabinet saw - link
1956-1957 Craftsman 12" Foley-Belsaw planer - link
1940s floor press model 103-0304
1939-1940 10" band saw model 103.0101
Also looking for a 1942 Craftsman shop vise:
http://images116.fotki.com/v693/phot...49_01PM-vi.png
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #37
flybefree

First step in building....dig a really big hole.

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #38
flybefree

Step 2: Send 40 inch fan club into said hole and watch him have a blast getting D-I-R-T-Y

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #39
flybefree

Nothing too special about the site prep. We put the borrow pit behind the silo west of the build site behind the barn. Second pic shows my 40 inch fan-club for scale, it was a pretty deep hole. Daniel is my oldest and loved watching all the construction...he's my number one helper. Allis-Chalmers D-15 in the background is one of my Dad's restorations...great little tractor...we planted the last of the late sweet corn the same weekend.

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #40
flybefree

1951 Ryan Navion...named "Jenny" for my wife...but you have to say it with that familiar stilted drawl made famous by Forrest Gump and of course my spot on impersonation of the same..."Jeahnnie"

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 11:06 AM.

Tags
airplanes, biplane, farm, hangar, tractors