Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
flybefree

Wink My Build: Simply a Mr. Jack Olsen inspired 1930 Auto Bunker House Geobarn Homage

Thanks to everyone who has shared their build stories here, it's been a real pleasure just reading your stories. I haven't posted much, but I wanted to share what little I can to sort of give back...if nothing else to serve as a warning to others on what not to do! I'm not much of a writer or photographer, I'm not funny, I'm not a screen writer, airline pilot, blacksmith, car guy, or machinist so I really feel sorry for guys having to read this...stop now please, save yourselves from pure boredom.

I mean it...

Ok, since I can now assume just my wife is reading I will continue.

I have been reading countless build threads on this forum for years now, just like many folks planning and plotting for the day that I could build my own version of mantopia. I was going to lovingly hand craft every single piece of this masterpiece from old growth timber, include all the great ideas I have read here over a two year period, and get it done in four weeks for $14,235.24 including the pad, 200 amp three phase electric service, and the Snap-on tool chest with matching fridge. It was going to as comfortable to work in as it was stylish to behold...it was going to be so unbelievealbe sweet I would never want to leave and actually drive my all original Shelby Cobra with matching numbers/Lamborghini (good Lord I can't even fake the spelling on that one)/Porsche/All the cool cars you guys have/Honda Mini-van. (Full disclosure: I actually only own the mini-van)

I soon realized what many of you have done is really pretty hard to do...and I really don't know what I am doing here. But since I am and AmerCAN not an AmerCAN'T I refused to let the obstacles (some would say realities) and started working on my Mr. Jack Olsen (assuming it's not Sir Jack, after PM ran that article who knows what might have come out of Buckingham Palace) 1930's Auto Bunker House Geobarn Homage anyhow. I am frankly not sure when or how it will be be completed...but it is started.

UPDATE: After spending 15 minutes trying to load my first picture I now understand why I frequently read about guys having trouble adding pictures. I always thought it was because "they" were not an iPad having computer genuis such as myself. Perhaps I was wrong to be so smug...if I can find my black turtleneck I will post a photo quick so I don't get booed off the stage.
flybefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
flybefree

Default Re: My Build: Simply a Mr. Jack Olsen inspired 1930 Auto Bunker House Geobarn Homage

Building A: Cinder Block shed/shop
Building B: Old chicken coop converted to a shed
Building site below Building B and next to the grain bin...the white "beer stein" was the first location proposed.

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
flybefree

Default Re: My Build: Simply a Mr. Jack Olsen inspired 1930 Auto Bunker House Geobarn Homage

Wow...got one photo up. Good.

Started serious planning on the Mr. Jack Olsen inspired 1930s Auto Bunker Geobarn Homage three years ago. Using the state of the art satellite imagergy above I planned each move like a chess grand master. First, I tore down an old chicken coup marked B on your map. My brother Mike and I spend three days in the burning hot July sun tearing it apart piece by piece so we could salvage the wood and recycle what remained of the standing seam roof. The chicken coup had a low roof and was not a fitting home for my collection of exotic automobiles and automobile memorobilla...or my Honda Odyssey.

Then my wife got pregnant and I did nothing but read Build Threads here for two years...#1 Son hits the scene.

Then my wife got pregnant and I did nothing but read Build Threads Here for two years...#2 Son hits the scene.

THEN I got serious.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Alabama Mike

From your intricate drawing I see that your building will look like a beer stein. I'm subscribed to this build!

Also, you may have the chops to be a screenwriter...you should re-check your quals.
Alabama Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
flybefree

The build site is on our farm in Ohio...I know this is the GarageJournal so I hesitate to say this...but this building will not be 100% Garage, you may in fact hear mention of tractors and other things not normally found in the best of the best builds here. The building will be about 60 x 40 x 14 plus a little bumpout for a small office. Intent is for the building to house our farm workshop, allow us to pull maintenance on our fleet, have room left for a few fun projects and a place to park the airplane. Taking the advice of many here I pushed the building size to top end of our budget...thanks for that encouragment.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
flybefree

Mike,

I am still furiously typing...trying to get a respectable first post together so I don't get run out of town here...quit making me laugh.

Shaun
Old 07-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
omr
Banned

subscribed .
omr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
flybefree

All Kidding aside, the big next step was finding a builder. The guys here were a great resource, and I really did want to build a Geobarn, they are just beautiful. And because when a yuck off the street in Ohio called George at Geobarns he was a complete gentlemen and a swell guy. Ended up going with the guy that built my friends barn next door, but I hope to build a Geobarn next.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
flybefree

Old 07-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
flybefree

This was the first draft, wanted a 14' high roll up door access into the shop side and a 38' wide bi-fold to get aircraft in and out. I must of sketched out 20 different designs to include a gambrel roofed version with a second floor for office. Abandoned the gambrel roof once I saw it would end up being closer to 30' tall...which was too tall too close to the house for the wife.

SMB
Old 07-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
Omphaloskeptic

What!? A farmer who can afford to own his own airplane! What kind of crop are you growing, money trees? lol

Good luck on the build. Let's see your POA (Plan Of Action) and of course your 'detailed' building plans. You know the drill, you expose your 'field of dreams', we 'critique' the plans, you build the modified version(s), and then we, in our endearing manner, ask why you built it 'that' way.
Omphaloskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
Charles (in GA)

38 foot is quite marginal for door width on an hangar. You will have little to play with and run the risk of dinging a wingtip every time you go in and out. Remember, a 38 ft door has the columns that it rides up and down on, intruding 3 to 4 inches inside of that meaning your opening is something just over 37 ft. My Wilson Door aircraft dimension chart shows Navions having from 33' 3" to 34' 9" wingspan depending on model. Get a different airplane and you may have a problem. A Cessna 182 for example (a popular aircraft for farmers, its built tough like a tractor!) has a wingspan of right at 36" depending on what wingtips you have on it.

Bi-fold doors place some unusual stresses on a building, which need to be taken into consideration by whoever engineers the building. You are only allowing yourself 12 inches on each side of the door. I suspect you will need more than that. I would seriously consider bumping the width to about 45 ft to give you a little more margin for future "growth". edit: I see from the drawings that the dimensions are actually 42x64x16 but I would still look at 45 ft with a 40 ft door. If you have a 14 ft opening a bifold door will give you about 12 to 12' 6" of height, unless you use a Hi-lift brand, which will give you virtually all of the 14 ft.

Charles

Last edited by Charles (in GA); 07-22-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
carlsondajj

Subscribed. I'm guessing that your airstrip is somewhere in the dirt field toward the bottom of your first picture?
carlsondajj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #14
Red Leader

The vintage builds are fun and cool not only because they pay homage to a time long since past, they include (and save/preserve) many old things that most probably would have just thrown to the scrapper. Then, of course, they just look cool.

Sounds like you've probably got quite a vision and a lot of ideas from perusing the forums for so long. I think that goes a long way and helps to give a LOT of ideas that will make the finished product a lot better.

Oh, and don't worry too much about any lack of skills - you'll pick them up as you go, especially if, like me, your garage budget is whatever you have at the end of the month. You'll figure some stuff out right away, you'll make mistakes, you'll learn from them, and you'll get a lot of great help, positive feedback, and great suggestions from other members on this site. I know that I have.

Here's to a great build!!!

Currently looking for the following vintage Craftsman tools:
1940-1941 Craftsman 101.02180 9" cabinet saw - link
1956-1957 Craftsman 12" Foley-Belsaw planer - link
1940s floor press model 103-0304
1939-1940 10" band saw model 103.0101
Also looking for a 1942 Craftsman shop vise:
http://images116.fotki.com/v693/phot...49_01PM-vi.png

Last edited by Red Leader; 07-22-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #15
ZRX61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles (in GA) View Post
You are only allowing yourself 12 inches on each side of the door. I suspect you will need more than that.

Charles

I've moved T6's in & out of hangars with 3in clearance on each side for years with no problems... That's why ya paint a centerline on the floor...

Tool Afflictionardo

I'd rather have an "airplane guy" work on my keyboard than have a "keyboard guy" work on my airplane.
ZRX61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #16
omr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
I've moved T6's in & out of hangars with 3in clearance on each side for years with no problems... That's why ya paint a centerline on the floor...
center line was my first thought
Old 07-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #17
flybefree

Omphaloskeptic: Technically I am a bi-vocational agriculturalist...right now I have two jobs and I farm "on the side"...my goal is to one day soon get the farm up to the point where I can only have one job. Airplane is a 1951 Navion, like in the sig block...nothing special but I love it. I'm absolutely sure I am going to get some great feedback here...delivered with sensitivity and caring.

Charles: You were spot on...did end up going with 42' and a 38' clear span door. I did the same thing you did, checked out the wingspans of some of my dream machines and made the most cost effective comprimise...don't worry, my P-51 Mustang will still fit! I chose the builder because he had put a bifold on a similar build nearby...I share your concerns about the stress on that end of the building.

Carlson: I see you closely studied my state of the art satellite imagery...I plan on laying out a 2200' grass strip just off that shot to the bottom. I have soybeans in there right now, will not plant the grass until the hangar is completed.

Red Leader: Thanks...I am going to strive hard to add some vintage touches to what is otherwise just a plain old pole barn...the attention to detail and craftsman ship that you guys have all shown in your builds is what I have learned the most from. Budget...it all comes down to budget.

ZRX81: Nice pic in the sig block...my Navion is a Ryan built A model, but I have quite a few North American parts on her. One of my projects for the hangar will be giving her an "update" with a paint scheme similar to the one in my sig block. I think a T-6 would fit in my door too...

Omr: Centerline will surely be there...I haven't got to the decision on the floor covering yet...I have done epoxy in my garage, but I don't know.

Shaun
Old 07-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #18
flybefree

Initial sketch of the office area

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:17 AM   #19
flybefree

After we came up with the first design draft I was pretty happy...but then in the back of my mind I heard every single one of you who had ever built a garage say "Build it as big as you can afford" and "You can't ever build it big enough." I reviewed the budget and found that if I could wait on the finishes I could add some square footage to the initial build so I started playing around with adding a 24 x 24 office to the side of the main building...see above. If you look at the sketch of building site you can see I put the office off to the side of the main building with an 8ft porch out front.

Shaun
Old 07-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #20
flybefree

This is the building we used as the "inspiration" for our design

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #21
flybefree

Once I had decided to "stretch" the build into something a bit more than a basic building my wife saw a picture of the building above built by the gentlemen locally and decided ours should look like that one. So we pretty much just copied some of the colors and finishes...it did make it easier having a particular building in mind to use as a guide.

Shaun
Old 07-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #22
markviii

Nice plans. I like the colors - your wife has good taste!

Chris
markviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #23
Trucky

Looking great! You might want to sneak a "Jack Olsen face" photo in there with your Porsche. If you have one If not, I'm sure any auto will do

Your typing is fine by the way. I don't think anyone expects Harvard-level writing from anyone else here.

Last edited by Trucky; 07-23-2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Their =/= there -_-
Trucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #24
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Beautiful!
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #25
gabedad

As a proud geobarn owner I can see the geobarn touches - nice Job!
gabedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #26
jake1086

what exactly is a "geo barn" ? I'm about to build a shop/loft home and am looking at different ideas. Sorry If I'm side tracking not my intent.
jake1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #27
gabedad

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=84405

www.geobarns.com
gabedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #28
flybefree

Chris: Thanks, my wife does have good taste. One change we did make from the "inspiration" design was to have a green roof vs. dark brown. The green is sort of a light "Mr. Jack Olsen" green. I have spent many hours reading about your wonderful project, I only hope ours turns out 1/2 nice.

Mr. Olsen: Thanks, that is the building we used as our inspiration. We changed to roof color and changed some of the layout, but the over all look will be pretty much the same including the porch which I am really excited about. Sitting on the porch in the country is one of my favorite sports.

Gabedad: Thanks, one thing in particular I am thinking bout is using the wood I salvaged from the demo(s) to use as an interior wall treatment of some sort. I hope to add at least some sort of vintage charm this way. I have a good amount of wood so I think it will work. I love your barn, simply classic.

Jake 1086: If you have any interest in Geobarns call George, he is really a gentlemen and will kindly answer any questions. We have a Walters and Morton building on our property and I shopped around to about 3 other local and national building companies before deciding on who to go with. Geobarns were more expensive, but for a building like Gabedad made they are not all that much more. The only part of this process that I think I handled well was picking a builder and a building style.

Shaun
Old 07-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #29
flybefree

Old 07-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #30
flybefree

So we added the 24 x 24 office off to the east of the main shop with the porch facing the house. Decided to have the roll up door face in towards the barnyard and the hangar door facing out towards the field. Picked the colors then ordered the building in April this year. The build started, will catch up and add the play by play. Decided on final dimension of 14'8" for the eave height on the main building with a high clearance truss design to allow for the 14' roll up door.

HVAC: This has been a tougher decision. I had my heart set on in-floor radiant heat...if I had the time to do it myself I would have tried it, but gentlemen you can't believe how much the lowest bid was to just put the pex into the slab. The price was just too much to bear on the budget. I have decided to go with radiant tubes in the shop and I am still thinking about what to do with the office for heat. Suggestions there would be welcomed. The one bit of advice I did take from you all was to not skip on insulation...R-19/30 and putting 2" blue board down to insulate the pad.

Floor: Putting down a 12 inch concrete slab with 2" rebar sitting on 3 3/4" high carbide chairs....well, actually 5 inches of fibermix, but I had you thinking there for a second "My GAWD that's HOW you should pour a pad... course it will probably crack because you went cheap and skipped the 13th inch of pad"....this is my Bunker garage shout out by the way, that place will survive the zombie appoxyclypse. Speaking of which we should have a fighting chance as well since we have such wonderful fields of fire towards to the road.

Electrical: planning on 200amp service..220 drop right at the grain bin west of the build.

Lighting: Still working the plan...

Another serious question...epoxy for a farm shop/garage/hangar?

I feel like I should have all of this figured out already, I hope that I am not the only guy to ever break ground with only the 75% solution on paper...I could be hosed.

Shaun

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #31
nkachur

I broke ground yesterday and I think the 75% solution has me beat by about 25% or maybe 40%.

Have you broken ground yet?
nkachur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #32
neutral

I are JEALOUS!!!
neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #33
flybefree

Nkachur, yep we broke ground...things are going well. The only part of the basic construction the concerns me is the concrete...if it doesn't turn out well I will probably cry like a little girl.

Smb
Old 07-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #34
flybefree

Trucky: my car is so boring I don't even have a picture....2005 Scion xb...that's right men, 85 hp wheter you want them or not. The nice car in our family is the Honda minivan...silver, really makes a statement at the car shows/drag strip. Says I have kids and I value reliable transportation.

Smb
Old 07-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #35
Trucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybefree View Post
Trucky: my car is so boring I don't even have a picture....2005 Scion xb...that's right men, 85 hp wheter you want them or not. The nice car in our family is the Honda minivan...silver, really makes a statement at the car shows/drag strip. Says I have kids and I value reliable transportation.

Smb
Hey, those make from 130 to 248 horses depending on how old it is Nothing wrong with a budget box either, they do get the job done. I have a Grand Am... woo 150 horsepower -_- I'm not running 10s at the strip either lol
Trucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:34 AM   #36
Red Leader

I want to see the plane

Old 07-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #37
flybefree

First step in building....dig a really big hole.

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #38
flybefree

Step 2: Send 40 inch fan club into said hole and watch him have a blast getting D-I-R-T-Y

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #39
flybefree

Nothing too special about the site prep. We put the borrow pit behind the silo west of the build site behind the barn. Second pic shows my 40 inch fan-club for scale, it was a pretty deep hole. Daniel is my oldest and loved watching all the construction...he's my number one helper. Allis-Chalmers D-15 in the background is one of my Dad's restorations...great little tractor...we planted the last of the late sweet corn the same weekend.

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #40
flybefree

1951 Ryan Navion...named "Jenny" for my wife...but you have to say it with that familiar stilted drawl made famous by Forrest Gump and of course my spot on impersonation of the same..."Jeahnnie"

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #41
flybefree

Red Leader: Here she is...she's a good old girl...I think the Navion is a really attractive plane. Just disregard the ugly mug blocking your view of the left wing root area.

Shaun
Old 07-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #42
flybefree

My Dad and my son #1.

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #43
flybefree

Picture of my son and his Grandpa walking back to the borrow pit after inspecting the proposed landing strip area for size and suitability. Daniel helped us combine the wheat earlier in the day...he has trouble reaching the brakes but he can work the GPS/Field monitor like a pro.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #44
flybefree

Building "A" comes crashing down. I should have taken a picture of the footer...it was over 2' thick in spots...a real monster for such a small building. Concrete was apparently cheap back in the day. The building filled up 1/2 the borrow pit.

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #45
flybefree

I had looked at restoring that old shed, but once again the eave height was only about 71/2' high and most of our equipment these days could not fit into the building. I am still working out a plan on where to put our woodworking "stuff", wanted to have it right there in that old cinder block shed...we'll see. Right now my garage is always dirty thanks to the few times I run a saw or sander out there so I am positive I need to find a better solution once we get the build finished.

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #46
flybefree

Action shot in the shop!

Just a glimpse of some of the extreme machines you might find in the shop/garage/hangar once completed. My Dad and I have a 1947 Allis-Chalmers Model C...replacing the valve cover gasket...the model C is a pretty neat ride. Just think of the horse power that baby can put out!

EDIT: How man shop practice/safety violations can you spot?

All Men are Created Equal...the difference is what they do after that.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #47
FlyBeFree's Wife

Safety Violations:
1. no eye protection
2. no gloves when handling hazmat
3. your baby brother's college books are piled too high along the wall of the shop!! :-)
FlyBeFree's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #48
tig

Subscribed! Can't wait to see how this turns out.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects". -Robert A. Heinlein

My Garage Thread: "Bald is Beautiful"
tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #49
W650Mike

No beer cans during a restoration is a violation of a rule written somewhere.

Subscribed!
W650Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #50
JC23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBeFree's Wife View Post
Safety Violations:
1. no eye protection
2. no gloves when handling hazmat
3. your baby brother's college books are piled too high along the wall of the shop!! :-)
Oh, TAG TEAM!!! This is gonna rock!

I'm in!
JC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #51
omr
Banned

man i expected some crappy old crop duster ..lol that things sweet
Old 07-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #52
Jure

Quote:
Originally Posted by omr View Post
man i expected some crappy old crop duster ..lol that things sweet
like piper pawnee?

what can be better then old crappy crop duster,when i was on one comp in slovenia they used to drag us with pawnee and that shit dragged 4-5 gliders in a row
Jure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #53
flybefree

The delivered the building package in one truck load two weeks ago...doesn't look like much sitting there does it?

Last edited by flybefree; 07-25-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #54
flybefree

Honey: You are in the lead with three...I should add that as a family we are tri-vocational since the Mrs. is out there killing it and dragging it home every day too.

Tig: Me too..love the quote you have there...saw it, stole it, posted it on facebook...FYI.

W650Mike: noted, I offer my sincere appologees...in that old shop there is not so much as a broken down old fridge. I promise to do better in this build.

JC23: Old school I hope.

Omr: She is old...and I would like to buy a wore out old plane and make it new again...might be a fun project...must be a biplane with round engine.

Jure: 5 gliders at ONCE! Post a pic of that....flying chalk 2 in that flight would be not soon forgetten I'm sure. Been to Zagreb a few times...lovely flying country.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #55
Jure

@ fly: dont have any pic on this comp,ill try to get some and post em,btw here some googled pics,triple tow and 2 tow

Old 07-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #56
Jure

and @ fly,heh yep,btw have you been in any other city or only in zagreb?,i fly in Sinj,its small town on the coast near city Split,and we have nice grassy air strip

Old 07-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #57
shopnut

flybefree,

I'm just glad there are a few humorous members on GJ to make up for my "dry" thread posts. Should be an interesting build to watch. Thanks for sharing and good luck.
Mrs. Shopnut's toys: She's too modest

Click to check out: The ASYLUM (w/ apt) //My City Garage // My parents' garages

shopnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #58
Bull
Super Moderator

George is an awesome gentleman and craftsman, and he would have built you a gorgeous Geobarn.

But, it seems like you have all your ducks in a row and a beautiful project going on here anyway. I am glad you are sharing it with us.

EUDAIMONIA
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #59
jktruck150

I am in! I look forward to this one!! Plans look great so far!

"It's so overt, it's covert!" - Sherlock Holmes
jktruck150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #60
Wingnut65

Subscribed! Jenny is beautiful. Glad you got the panoramic windows. She deserves another shot...

I had a 1949 Ryan Model A with tip tanks for a few years. Unfortunately it was the years immediately after it's airfoil and canopy were modified by Hurricane Andrew. Had to sell the project when my twins were born and my dad who was helping me, passed away. I miss the bird and hope someday to get one again.
(I'm actually listening to EAA Radio on-line this week to be part of AirVenture)

With that thought in mind, I was going to comment on the door opening width and wingspan is different if you ever want tip tanks on her.

fly, in the first photo in post 2, I was wondering with all those buildings on your site, how can you get funding approved from the accounting dept for another h-u-g-e building when you have so many already???
Project looks great and the inspiration is nice. You going with split-face for the lower wall?

Also, for the safety violations, looks like a staged photo, your finger are too clean for a gasket job...

- Shop Sign: WE DO PRECISION GUESSWORK
- Follow along as I work on my
Wingnut65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 AM   #61
flybefree

Picture of the door specs from Wilson Doors. Chose Wilson because I rented a hangar with a Wilson door and while not the most advanced design it worked. Pricewise the wilson door was the best. Looked at Hydroswing doors, they were about 20% more and Hydroswing went bankrupt this year. Rough opening will be 38' by 12'8" when open.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #62
Nighttrain

Where was I the last couple of days? This is my newest best build to follow. Garage, tractors, airplanes and mini-vans. can't get better than this. So is the hole you dug for the Scion?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #63
flybefree

Jure: Never made it out the coast, just Zagreb and some small towns out east...Slavonski Brod. You have a beautiful place to fly...little slice of heaven. Those are some cool pics of the three gliders in tow...I have only flown a few hours in gliders...last time I was catapault launched off a short grass strip in Germany...felt like a "Top Gun" until I had to turn right around and land because I couldn't find a thermal to save my life.

Shopnut: Well, at least I have that going for me. Love your threads, you have really done a great job. Started reading yours when I turned 40...it seems I am a few years behind you.

Bull: I have, I think, 3 of 5 ducks in a row...luckily I have plenty of time to figure out what to do with the shop once it's done. I don't have a master plan yet on things like heat, electrical, etc. Thanks for stopping in.

JKtruck150: Wildlife biologist...that's cool. I have 9 acres in praire grass right now for upland bird habitat...more pheasants around now than in the past...the deer love it.

Wingnut65: Sorry to hear the hurricane trashed your Navion. How wide a door would I need for tip tanks? Posted the door specs so you could see what we have right now. You know what? That photos was not staged, simply because a chimpanzee could change out a valve cover gasket on a Model C without breaking a swea! It's just the most simple/straight forward engine you can imagine...which I why I like those old things. The other buldings all came with the farm, used to be a dairy operation and over the last 150 years the family has just kept adding buildings. We have a working little farm so we keep all our equipment under roof for storage. As we move from a tri-vocational family to just farmers we are going to run/expand our operation out of the the new hangar/shop/office...I am going to have to step it up and get serious!

Last edited by flybefree; 07-26-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #64
flybefree

Nighttrain...your killing me dude...I am just lucky to have something reliable to drive! Don't hate the box!

Forgot to include the pic of the building going up! After three days this is where things stood...you can't really see it, but all the clay from the borrow pit raised the site up about a foot.

Last edited by flybefree; 07-26-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #65
Jure

Quote:
Jure: Never made it out the coast, just Zagreb and some small towns out east...Slavonski Brod. You have a beautiful place to fly...little slice of heaven. Those are some cool pics of the three gliders in tow...I have only flown a few hours in gliders...last time I was catapault launched off a short grass strip in Germany...felt like a "Top Gun" until I had to turn right around and land because I couldn't find a thermal to save my life.
hehe,i have been in sl brod too,what is catapult launch?? you mean launched by winch? heh thermals can be f....d up lol ,around our airport we have combination of cliffs and moutains for soaring and field for thermals ah y also waves are cool durring the windy winter,you can unhook at 800 ft on the hillside and climb up on the wave
Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #66
Jure

btw fly,do you have your own landstrip there? seems like you have alot of field around your house
Old 07-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #67
flybefree

Jure: It was a winch launch...felt like a catapult to me though. Only lofted us a few hundred feet so there wasn't much time to find some "lift." I am going to plant a grass strip "out back"...plenty of room for my needs.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #68
1Garageman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC23 View Post
Oh, TAG TEAM!!! This is gonna rock!

I'm in!
I am subscribed!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #69
markviii

I sure WON'T let Tom see this thread! We don't own the fields around us, but I don't want to give him any more support for the landing-strip idea that's been floated on our thread.

Nice work, flybefree.

Chris
Old 07-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #70
flybefree

Chris,

Please, please let him buy just enough land to park a piper cub...it's just a teeny little thing and doesn't need much gas. Maybe he could comute to work it in...maybe there is a special tax break for GJ members buying airplanes so other GJ members can read cool threads about them fixing up said airplanes with an awesome collection of vintage tools. <aside> Until I read your guys thread I never knew that the slot head screws in the switch plates should be precisely aligned at 12 and 6...and now I know, and now when I put a switch plate back on I make sure the slots line up right.

Shaun

Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #71
Steve in SoCal

Hello Shaun,

Great read so far. I am a Bonanza driver; your arch rival but hey I have some Navion time as well! Looks like you have a 520/550 in that airplane? Sad story about the Navion I did fly a bit, one night a Cessna 310 blew an approach and took out 4 airplanes, the Navion was one them.

I have flown into a few farm strips in Ohio but mainly near Toledo The closet was probably around Bowling Green. I love grass runways.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Steve
Steve in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #72
jktruck150

Quote:
JKtruck150: Wildlife biologist...that's cool. I have 9 acres in praire grass right now for upland bird habitat...more pheasants around now than in the past...the deer love it.

!
I have to admit, I love my job man! I actually used to work for KY Dept of Fish and Wildlife. I helped establish a lot of those praire grasses in south central KY! Never made it to the North side near you though.

Your build is looking exciting!

"It's so overt, it's covert!" - Sherlock Holmes
jktruck150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:31 AM   #73
onewaydave

Quote:
Omphaloskeptic: Technically I am a bi-vocational agriculturalist...right now I have two jobs and I farm "on the side"...
Shaun

I don't know about over there in Ohio/Kentucky but in Kansas farm county, there just isn't any other kind. Unless you plant 1000 acres or so.

So why are you from Ohio/Kentucky and the Misses is from Kentucky? State line run through the middle of your side of the bed?

I almost bought your story about being a farmer, until you told us what you drove. Where is the 3/4-1 ton 4WD behemouth?

I didn't see any safety violations.

Great build, great fan club and cool plane. I'm finally caught up

Dave.
What do the CIA, FBI, NSA, Pentagon, White House, Microsoft, Apple, VA, ATT, Chase, Bank of America, Target,Walmart, Sony Play Station, the Justice Department and I have in common? We've all been hacked. Mostly by 16 year olds or the Chinese.

Last edited by onewaydave; 07-27-2011 at 01:51 AM.
onewaydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:03 AM   #74
flybefree

Picture of the trusses up over the main shop area. Up until this point there had only been two men on the crew, brought in a third for this. Of interest is the tiny scrap pile at the bottom of the photo...I was expecting more than that I guess.

Oneway: Around here it's pretty much the same. My dad is a full time farmer, I don't have enough acres to do that...yet. We work in KY and the build is in Ohio...thus the confusion. I just told my wife that I am the only farmer in North America that drives a Scion...and that the other farmers are going to make fun of me if I don't get some sort of American-made truck...she agrees, doesn't really like the Scion. She is a BMW loving gal (had a 535{lowercase vowel of some sort} that she really liked back in the day). I love my little fan club....we are so blessed it's just silly and I'm grateful.

Steve: I have much love for the Bonaza crowd...but I was joking to my Navion buds that I was going to make the strip 2200' to keep those dirty nasty beechcraft guys off my lawn! I have an IO-520, runs like a top, climbs like a home sick angel. I love landing on grass because the soft touchdowns make folks think I know what I am doing.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:19 AM   #75
Wingnut65

Quote:
How wide a door would I need for tip tanks?
I seem to remember the span with tip tanks right at 36'.

Nice progress on the build. It's always great to go vertical and actually see progress.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #76
flybefree

Wingnut, yep, went online to check right after you posted...whew.

Ok folks, some of the roof is on, enough that you can CLEARLY see the roof is Lester's special proprietary, made to order for GJ fans only, color called "Jack Olsen Green"...and you thought I was making this up. I am really pleased with how it looks....now if I can only find some way to work in some stronghold cabinets and some arches, got to have some arches somewhere.

Shaun

Last edited by flybefree; 07-28-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #77
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Now THAT is beautiful!
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #78
flybefree

Thank you kindly Jack.

Ok, on the off chance that there are some lurkers out there somewhere on the internets who blatanly disregarded my warnings up front about wasting your time reading my thread before you read the good stuff...stop reading now and go see Mr. Jack Olsen's thread if you haven't done so.

It will be a much better use of your time...and for goodness sake register and leave a note of appreciation for all his hard work while you are there. Now, I know you are busy and you are wracked with guilt and self loathing because your garage is full of toys, Christmas Decorations, half complete sets of golf clubs, and if you are lucky a humble commuter car that won't be paid off until Superbowl LXXXVIII. I know the thread really long and it's hard to read about how great his car, space and life are when you have to walk through that cramped, dark, cluttered space at the start and end of every day and sometimes wonder if it is not also a metaphor for your life (is metaphor the right word Mr. Olsen? I am straight up ignorant on the proper use of literary devices other than irony). You can change (your garage) with a little inspiration...which can be found here for FREE:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=55006

Once you are done with this bit of self-development I will send you on the second leg of your journey to a better garage life...

Shaun

Last edited by flybefree; 07-28-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #79
Charles (in GA)

Quote:
Picture of the door specs from Wilson Doors. Chose Wilson because I rented a hangar with a Wilson door and while not the most advanced design it worked. Pricewise the wilson door was the best. Looked at Hydroswing doors, they were about 20% more and Hydroswing went bankrupt this year. Rough opening will be 38' by 12'8" when open.
Is this an aluminum framed Wilson (I would hope)? I had a Wilson (when all they made was aluminum framed models) on a rented T hangar and it was nice. I do like the Schweiss door that uses flat straps instead of cables. None of the hassles in getting/keeping the cables set. Straps are stronger also. Lots of door companies going to straps now.

For a number of reasons, I went with the Horton Stack Door.

Charles
Old 07-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #80
FlyBeFree's Wife

My BMW was an M535i. Diamond Black. It was a German version that I don't think was ever available stateside. It was an autobahn cruising MACHINE! I am happy in my minivan NOW...but there may just come the day (once there are no more carseats) when I will once again feel the need for speed...or at least some convertible wind in my hair. :-)
Old 07-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #81
flybefree

As I recall it looked something like this. I can also recall waking up (in the right seat) after a brief nap on the A-6 heading south and groggily trying to: 1) Estimate our speed in KMH based on how far the needle was buried beyond the last idicated speed of 230 on the dial. 2) Then apply the MPH to KMH conversion to try and wrap my brain around how fast we were going (neighborhood of 150MPH, slightly faster on the downhills) 3) Then try to figure out what the odds were that we could safely slow to a normal human speed if a truck pulled out in front of us to pass in the left lane 4) The apply a correction to compmensate for reduced reaction time due to the fact that this all was happening... AT NIGHT!

After a few minutes of counting fingers and toes I came to the conclusion that it was just better to take a nap and not worry about it. I'm really good at napping, it's a gift.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #82
FlyBeFree's Wife

That was a darn good looking car!! And I am really a good driver. You were completely safe. And now in the mini-van, you are probably safer. People tend to frown upon moms driving 150mph with carseats in their vans, and Americans often have questionable driving skills, so I have toned it down a bit. :-)
Old 07-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #83
Wingnut65

Quote:
People tend to frown upon moms driving 150mph with carseats in their vans, and Americans often have questionable driving skills, so I have toned it down a bit. :-)
But cruise speed in an Model A is 150+

Old 07-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #84
flybefree

Yep, that would be a comfortable cruise...it's just not as relaxing at those speeds on the ground, at night, in the passenger seat...

Old 07-29-2011, 12:43 AM   #85
Dennis Cavallino

Send a message via MSN to Dennis Cavallino

Great build! I love those old E28's M535i. When I first picked up my GF we left her home and I drifted onto the freeway. Full lock is really sideways in those E28's. Than I thought; omg there's someone on the passenger seat now...'. I drove gently to the city I lived in, and when I turned off the freeway I didn't drift. Than she said; 'why don't you go sideways here?'. That was the moment I thought 'let's keep this one'.
Dennis Cavallino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:40 AM   #86
flybefree

As they finished up the roof on the main shop they started setting the posts for the 24 x 24 office.

Dennis: I had forgotten what a great car that old 535 was until we started talking about it the other day. Given that I drive a beater Scion and a minivan I am not what you would call a car guy, but that one was special. Yeah, keep the GF...she obviously has great potential.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:42 AM   #87
flybefree

another shot of the work.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #88
flybefree

Charles: Forgot, the door is steel, like the one I had in my old hangar. I looked at the ALUM version at Sun N' Fun this year (just before the tornado sent us running for cover) and left still liking the heavier door...I thought the steel door just looked stronger. I liked the stack door you have...I was worried about keeping the tracks clean as my door faces out into a field, so I went with the ole bi-fold.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #89
FlyBeFree's Wife

In town checking out the progress. Looking great!! A little excitement yesterday when the door guys and the builders thought the door was not going to fit. That was resolved and all is well! Going to walk through later and figure out the plumbing layout. This is exciting. Hubby is doing a fine job managing this project. I guess years of lurking on GJ.com and all of his research/planning have really paid off thus far. As he is fond of saying, "Nothing could possibly go wrong!". :-)
Old 07-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #90
Neuswede

subscribed. Great looking build!

See my garage build at: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...=1#post1620729
Neuswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #91
Zengineer

I loved my E28 535i... miss that car!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #92
mws444

Quote:

The delivered the building package in one truck load two weeks ago...doesn't look like much sitting there does it?
Hey I noticed the Spray Coupe you have. Nice spray rig! I have an old tricycle version with a water cooled VW engine and the really pain in the butt electric actuators to raise and fold the booms. But hey when my Dad bought the thing it was state of the art!
Poor thing is in the scrap heap now, Only have 170 ac. of outland left. All the rest is in orchards now.
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #93
FlyBeFree's Wife

Well, the door got hung, thanks to a small bit of "Chumley Engineering". This is the kind of farm boy engineering where plans are written on paper napkins and it can all be accomplished with random materials and a skidloader. **Note: all plans were actually approved by both building and door engineers, but I just chuckle that the original concept was proposed by Shaun's dad as he peered up at the problem and tossed out an idea! They all scrambled to call Higher HQ, and in the end, they went with his idea just as suggested. He is a smart man who has been maintaining this farm and the buildings for years...it is no surprise that he came up with the final solution. I just tease the boys about their frequent Chumely Engineering projects.**
Back to the door. It goes up. It goes down. It does not, however, go up AND down. Some electrical relay something or another. They have it all under control apparently.
It was fun giving tours this weekend. Anytime a new building goes up, everyone wants to know what is going on. Since we were in town, we gave Gator rides and building tours. While Shaun refers to it as "the shed" or "the barn", his family is calling it "the giant hangar with the guest room suite attached"!! **Note: while there is a guest room and bathroom, the attached space is really the office, not just a guest suite. Everyone is excited to see the final product.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #94
flybefree

Cellphone shot of the roof going on the office...

Neuswede: Thanks...watching your build as well.

Zengineer: We decided we missed that car too...everytime we passed a less attractive performance car this weekend we commented on how cool that 535 was.

MWS 444: The Spracoupe rocks! It has the Cummings upgrade, pretty fuel efficent and sprays like a champ...just sprayed the double crop beans we put in the wheat by the hangar this weekend. "Are those weeds in my fescue? Oh no, it's round up to the rescue" Quote (sort of) from the Dad's Life Youtube video.

Last edited by flybefree; 08-01-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #95
Red Leader

Looks like some great progress being made! Keep it up! And keep showing us pictures!

-Dave

Old 08-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #96
flybefree

Red Leader: This one's for you...my folks bought mini-donkeys when my son was born...kids love them, I think you could make an awesome art-deco craftsman inspired space for them in your garage. Think about it...what with all the extra time and money that you get issued with the car seat and all.

Last edited by flybefree; 08-01-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #97
flybefree

Shot of the trusses up in the office area

Old 08-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #98
FlyBeFree's Wife

Race deck? Epoxy? Stained concrete? So many possibilities...
Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #99
shopnut

Quote:
Race deck? Epoxy? Stained concrete? So many possibilities...
Whatever you do - don't wait until it's half filled with stuff. Figure out your needs and make it a priority to get it done before you move anything in.

Edit: I've done DIY epoxy and acid stain and am happy with both after 6 years. Epoxy might be a good choice for a hangar, but I'm not sure what else you plan to do in the shop. IMHO, acid stain would look good in the office.

Last edited by shopnut; 08-01-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Added my suggestions
Old 08-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #100
shopnut

Quote:

Shot of the trusses up in the office area
Are you planning any office windows looking out into the pasture or looking into the shop (besides the one in the personnel door)?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #101
flybefree

Shopnut: You are right...I am not moving anything in until that floor is done! Still thinking it through, but I am thinking stain and seal. We have lots of windows in the office but none into the shop...that might be neat.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #102
flybefree

Looking in from the bean field...

Old 08-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #103
flybefree

View out the bi-fold door...wouldn't want to see anything else.

MWS 444: What type orchards do you have? I planted a little "pie" orchard so my wife would be able to bake some pies for the boys during the summer...I have had a hard time keeping the cherry trees around.

Shaun

Last edited by flybefree; 08-02-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #104
Red Leader

Quote:

1951 Ryan Navion...named "Jenny" for my wife...but you have to say it with that familiar stilted drawl made famous by Forrest Gump and of course my spot on impersonation of the same..."Jeahnnie"
Very nice!!!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #105
flybefree

Thanks RL.

Installing the bi-fold door wasn't as easy as it should have been. Bottom line is the motor controller was bad so many, many hours were spent in the heat chasing a simple hardware failure. The door manufacturer apologized and sent out the parts first thing MON so we are going to finish the install this week.

The installer, recommended by the manufacturer seemed to struggle with the install a bit. He was concerned that the door was too short since the hinge plates placed the through bolts only 1 inch above the bottom of the truss. The picture above sort of shows how the door fastens to the truss...7 steel hinge plates bolted trough the double trusses on the end of the building. The manufacturer maintains that one inch is all that is needed, but we welded up some 1/4 plate to effectively double the size of the hinge plates (with approval from the manufacturer)....just to be sure. While I am no engineer, I tell you it just looked like a problem waiting to happen. So, that is what all the hub-bub was about out on the farm...we just didn't like the way it looked so we fixed it.

Last edited by flybefree; 08-03-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #106
flybefree

I think the JO green & Khaki colors are looking pretty good...

Old 08-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #107
Bronson

Hey, I love the shop-hanger-Navion Home! Subscribed! Since You asked for input, I have had some experience moving Aircraft on Epoxy hanger floors. From C-150 to V-22 Osprey. Of course a lot depends on the tug, but the epoxy is fine, except when it is wet. Then it is like ice, and is dangerous to even walk on. Of course, You can add the "grit" but that makes it harder to keep clean....Just a thought. Keep the progress reports coming!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #108
mws444

Quote:

View out the bi-fold door...wouldn't want to see anything else.

MWS 444: What type orchards do you have? I planted a little "pie" orchard so my wife would be able to bake some pies for the boys during the summer...I have had a hard time keeping the cherry trees around.

Shaun
We are way too hot for cherries or apples around here, we have Pecans. I am a third generation farmer, about ten years ago I got into the pecan shelling business. We used to grow a lot of produce I think I put about 5,000 hrs on our old Spray Coupe.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:21 AM   #109
jrmylmach1

Shaun,

That is looking great. As a fellow NoKy person and pilot, it is great to see a beautiful build like that going up close by. It has given me something to pass the time while sitting in the hotel here in Bangkok. Keep up the good work and keep posting pics.

Jeremy
jrmylmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #110
abstamaria

What a HUGE space! Very interesting.

Regards,

Andres
abstamaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:47 AM   #111
flybefree

Mws444: i planted two pecan trees in my pie orchard...supposedly the hardiest variety out there...7 years in they look great but no nuts yet. Our family has been farming around here for a long time too, it 's just a great family tradition.

Bronson: I do appreciate the input, and slipping is a concern. I have been talking about a stain and urethane seal...i would let the first coat dry and then test for grip...if it looks like it will be a problem I will top coat with tomw anit-slip stuff. I loved the mini trail resto...good work.

Jrmlymach1: glad you stopped by...UPS taken you on trips?

Old 08-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #112
rieferman

It's looking really awesome, congrats. Also, the writing style of you and your wife make for great reading. Thanks for documenting the build!

(the "chumley engineering" portion literally made coffee come out my nose.. so, yeah.. thanks for that... )
rieferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #113
flybefree

Andres: Thanks. It has to be big to accomdate the equipment we use in farming...but to make it interesting, that is the creative challenge.

Rieferman: glad you enjoy it, our pleasure. My wife is really funny...and Chumley Engineering is a way of life on our farm. I could write a book (that nobody would ever want to read) about all the great things you can build/fix with a skid loader, a D-15 tractor, some scrap material, and a bunch of farm kids with time on their hands and active imaginations. I say kids and include my Dad, who while over 60, is still a kid at heart...he was the genuis behind our greatest chumley engineering achievements.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #114
FlyBeFree's Wife

Have been a little distracted with large piles of work in my inbox this week, but the build appears to be progressing along nicely.

There was one little hiccup was with hanging shutters. 2 sides of the hangar will have the lovely Mr. Jack Olsen Green along the bottom (as seen in pics above), and the other two (facing road and house) will have stone. The problem arose when they realized that the windows go a few inches down into the top of the stone. This would have been fine, except that we also chose to have shutters on the windows for greater curb appeal. The shutters could not lay flat on both the siding and the stones, since the stones/bricks obviously stand out a bit. After reviewing the offered options, I believe that we went with cutting out the bricks aorund the shutter bases and using an additional piece of flashing behind the bottom of the shutters. Once again...crisis averted!! Looking forward to the next challenge.

Going back this weekend to hopefully see/supervise the completion of the door hanging and operational checks.

As the main building continues to progress, it is time to think about the plumbing and layout for the office area some more. Intent is to have guest room for fly-in friends, bathroom, and office. Remembered after reading one of your GJ posts that we needed to add in the hot water heater space somewhere in there. Bathroom will be full bath. Bedroom will have the guest room basics. Anything we ought to consider with regard to what else needs to go into the office/BR/BA space? (**Already planning on the fridge for beer...got that message loud and clear!!) While hubby is getting excited about planning the floor design (and probably also considering what kind of napping couch he will buy), I am trying to make sure I don't miss opportunities to make this a great man space while also ensuring it is suitable for the periodic outside visitor. That may be a thread that should go on some HGTV blog or cottage living website, but I figured that some of you gifted garagers out there would have some fun ideas to make the most of a small space!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #115
shopnut

Quote:
I am trying to make sure I don't miss opportunities to make this a great man space while also ensuring it is suitable for the periodic outside visitor.
A few quickly come to mind:
-Kitchenette (Small counter, coffee maker, microwave, sink, and of course the beer fridge you mentioned)
-Entertainment center (plan plenty of outlets where the components will be; also in-wall speaker wiring)
-Sleeper-sofa for even more guests

Old 08-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #116
FlyBeFree's Wife

Shopnut: good ideas! not sure how he will get the coffee maker to operate, though...I may have to run out from the house each day before the sun comes up and press start...or just buy a Keurig!! Luckily I have some time to refine that plan. LOL!!
Old 08-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #117
Bronson

A Friend of Mine is just finishing up a motorcycle retreat, in the mountains near Show Low Arizona. He added a small bugalow to the side of the main, shop,barn,dorm area. He built in a window settee that opens on the top, to store bedding, pillows etc for Guests. It is a nice usable, space saving unit.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #118
flybefree

Shopnut: Thanks...the sleeper sofa will also have to be "nap rated"

Honey: Keurig coffee is too expensive...sorry!

Bronson: Look at you...on one hand the motor cycle guru with the uber cool garage and the war trophies from THE MOST FAMOUS BATTLE in USMC history and on the other hand the interior decorating panache of a HGTV design star...renaissance man alert!

Old 08-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #119
Bronson

Er, uh....I have never been called a Renaissance Man before, I believe the term Troglodyte was referenced........
Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #120
jrmylmach1

Shaun,
No UPS. I'm flying for ANA in Japan. Spend 20 days in Asia and 10 days at home each month. Going home this Sunday and have a list a mile long of home improvements that need to be taken care of. Doesn't leave much time for the garage.

Jeremy
Old 08-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #121
dlenkewich

Really jealous.

Awesome build, your farm looks awesome.
dlenkewich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #122
dlenkewich

Quote:

Is there a build thread on this somewhere or was this just found on the net? This looks really nice.
dlenkewich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:01 AM   #123
flybefree

Jeremy: wow, that is a tough gig in terms of being away from home..have a good trip back and good luck with the honey do list. What do you fly?

Dlen: thanks, we are very fortunate to have it. The inspiration building was built by the company building ours...which makes it easy.

Shaun

Old 08-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #124
jrmylmach1

Shaun

I'm on the 767-300ER/767-300F. I put a picture in your other thread about airplanes.

Jeremy
Old 08-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #125
flybefree

Jermey,

I saw the picture...but I could not identify the plane, that's a nice ride...fly safe.

Shaun

Old 08-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #126
couchmechanic

Quote:

Okay that is a wharehouse not a garage
couchmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #127
FlyBeFree's Wife

Couchmechanic: One man's warehouse is another man's garage! :-)

One's garage tends to be slightly larger when it needs to fit airplanes, tractors, combines, and houseguests.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #128
mdbeck1

Quote:
Couchmechanic: One man's warehouse is another man's garage! :-)

One's garage tends to be slightly larger when it needs to fit airplanes, tractors, combines, and houseguests.
I've got to agree it's closer to a warehouse. However if I could trade.....
mdbeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #129
mws444

LOL I got the same reponse on mine. Warehouse/Garage it is all a matter of scale. If you need to park big stuff you have to have a big garage...simple. I have been though a couple of 20,000'+ garages that just hold alot of cars in one collection. They really are amazing!
Warage maybe?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #130
FlyBeFree's Wife

I could go with warage...but hubby still contends it is just a shed... :-)
Old 08-07-2011, 06:28 AM   #131
flybefree

Couchmechanic: The "inspiration" building had a media room/home theater type deal in it...and ceramic tile flooring. Our building is big, but because it is 1/2 business related because of the farm it turns out the garage portion is not all that big...but we are grateful to be able to build something nice to work and play in.

This picture shows the wall framing set to accept the interior liner and insulation which will go up after the pad is poured.

Last edited by flybefree; 08-07-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:29 AM   #132
flybefree

Shot of the ceiling liner installed

Last edited by flybefree; 08-07-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:29 AM   #133
flybefree

Shot of the office ceiling ready for dry wall...not sure when I will get to that.

Last edited by flybefree; 08-07-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #134
mws444

I like the sheet metal ceiling, is it insulated? I love this build, what are you going to do with the floor, epoxy?
Old 08-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #135
flybefree

It will be insulated to R 30...I think they did a pretty nice job, I wanted to make it as bright as possible and have something to cover up the insulation too.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #136
cletus66

Nice shop !!! I like the view too, since I grew up on a farm. Now I am in the woods, and I like to have the big door open. All I can see is trees in every direction. No neighbors looking back at me. I'll take either view....
cletus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #137
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

A very nice build going on here. Might I suggest a Murphy bed for the office/bedroom. No reason to take up unnecessary room.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #138
flybefree

Nuttsgt: great idea, never would have thought of that,thanks.

ClEtus: I agree, I love the view.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #139
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Quote:
Nuttsgt: great idea, never would have thought of that,thanks.
No problem, just try to get it with a decent matress. I sleep in one every third night.

What are you planning on using for heat in the shop area and office ?

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:30 AM   #140
couchmechanic

Okay, it can be a Garage. I agree you are blessed. God never gives you more than you can handle. God Bless!
couchmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:28 AM   #141
flybefree

Eric: not 100% sure about the office area...thinking about a mini split.

Couchmechanic: Thank you...he has and I don't take any credit for it. I was given opprotunities that most other folks were not just because we are a family that grew up on the farm.

Mws: right now i am planning on acid stain with a epoxy type clear coat...ordered the sample kit from Legacy so I can play around with the colors.

Shaun

Old 08-08-2011, 06:02 AM   #142
mws444

I am thinking the same thing on flooring. I have about 50k sq. ft of a light gray epoxy in the plant, and have made about every mistake you can make with it over the last 10 years. It can get slick, even more so with pecan oil and/or water, use some floor mats to absord any water upon entry paths. Hard casters on anything you roll on it will chew it up. We use urethane casters on everything up to a ton without issue.
Believe it or not we have used four different brands, sandblasting each off to bare concrete after failure. Or best brand to date...Shermin Williams, also the least expensive...go figure.
I have yet to see where you will put a loft.....I know it is coming!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #143
Wingnut65

fbf, this place is really taking shape. That ceiling in the garage looks great - a clean finished look.

Just thinking, the Geobarn pix that were posted showed geodesic framing in the walls. This looks more of a traditional post and beam framing construction. Is this a variant of a geobarn??

Old 08-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #144
flybefree

MWS...I haven't even thought about a loft...but now that you mention it I need to keep that in the back of my mind. I am planning on getting the building up, closed, and powered and then plan out my next move...I don't exactly know what my next move will be then.

Wingnut...no, it's just a plain vanilla Lester Pole Barn...I am trying to add some "classic" touches from the Geobarns like a cupola, shutters, etc. The only modified bit of the framing is to accept the steel liner package and windows.

Shaun

Old 08-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #145
mws444

LOL...I knew it! Kind of like our cars these garages, I dont think we ever finish modding them.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #146
flybefree

MWS: My Dad's shop is over 25 y/o and the modding has never ended...I hope I am able to do the same.

shot from the "front" of the barn showing the completed trim work and the prep for adding the block wainscotting.

Last edited by flybefree; 08-09-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #147
flybefree

You can see where they finished the transition trim between the JO green and the tan siding.

Last edited by flybefree; 08-09-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #148
flybefree

Gutters and downspouts going on...down spouts color matched with the siding and wainscotting.

Waiting for the plumbing rough to be completed so the pad can be poured so the work can continue on the matched grade.

Last edited by flybefree; 08-09-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #149
flybefree

Random Shot of 40 inch fan club, Grandpa, and the D-17 series IV tractor we took on a 30 mile tractor ride for charity last year. For those of you not familiar, we basically took a bunch of classic tractors and spent the day driving around the country eating, relaxing, and seeing (and smelling) those little things you just miss when you zoom around in your luxury-liner of a mini-van....for charity.

Last edited by flybefree; 08-09-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #150
1Garageman

Quote:

Random Shot of 40 inch fan club, Grandpa, and the D-17 series IV tractor we took on a 30 mile tractor ride for charity last year. For those of you not familiar, we basically took a bunch of classic tractors and spent the day driving around the country eating, relaxing, and seeing (and smelling) those little things you just miss when you zoom around in your luxury-liner of a mini-van....for charity.
That was nice of you to do that; And cute kid!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #151
flybefree

1Garageman: Thanks...he is an awesome boy, can't tell you how grateful I am to be his Dad. Anytime we can combine doing the things we love with helping people we really get more than we give don't we?

Old 08-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #152
Nighttrain

A 30 mile tractor ride at that age, thats better than Christmas. Heck at any age that would be fun. Garage is looking really good.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #153
onewaydave

flybefree, you have done very well for yourself;

You've built a beautiful garage and posted the pics to prove it (and to satisfy the voyeuristic lust of a lot of people),

shared your Grandpa and little buddy,

invited your wife to come on the ride

and even shown naked pictures of your airplane!

But I arrive here, having read the whole shebang and still wonder what in the world this has to do with Jack Olsen? So, I returned to Post #1 and reread the introduction. I still am having trouble with the link and have posted that in an edited quote and a couple of other comments from that post.

Post #1 in part and edited.

Quote:
...I'm not much of a writer or photographer, I'm not funny, I'm not a screen writer, airline pilot, blacksmith, car guy, or machinist so I really feel sorry for guys having to read this...
I just don't know what to say, other than you are quite wrong.

Quote:
Ok, since I can now assume just my wife is reading I will continue.
Ok, now I see the input from the Missus.

Quote:
But since I am and AmerCAN not an AmerCAN'T I refused to let the obstacles ... [get in the way?] and started working on my Mr. Jack Olsen ... 1930's Auto Bunker House Geobarn Homage anyhow.
I'm not trying to put words into your mouth, just trying to make sense of the link to Jack Olsen. If I am wrong, I will stand corrected.

I really enjoy this thread.

Dave.
What do the CIA, FBI, NSA, Pentagon, White House, Microsoft, Apple, VA, ATT, Chase, Bank of America, Target,Walmart, Sony Play Station, the Justice Department and I have in common? We've all been hacked. Mostly by 16 year olds or the Chinese.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #154
Neuswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewaydave View Post

I'm not trying to put words into your mouth, just trying to make sense of the link to Jack Olsen. If I am wrong, I will stand corrected.

I really enjoy this thread.

Dave.
I think Shaun is only referring to Jack as one of his inspirations in building his "shed".

Shaun, you're really pulling out in the lead, now. A roof and siding and a door? And time for a tractor ride, too? You're really rubbing in now! Looks good.

We're treading water over here....storms off and on since Sunday.

Marc

See my garage build at: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...=1#post1620729
Neuswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #155
flybefree

Dave,

Marc is right...I have just been inspired by lots of guys on this forum...Jack's use of green struck me as cool so I stuck my neck out and went with some green in the building. I am sorry that it was not more clear...I have taken lots of bits of inspiration and tried to credit the source in a small way.

Marc: the tractor ride picture is from last year's ride. We went fishing last weekend..and I am not doing any of the hard work so the credit goes to the crew.

Nighttrain:agreed, I just like driving tractors too!

Last edited by flybefree; 08-09-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #156
onewaydave

I have to confess, I kinda knew that. But I perseverate on Jack's efficient use of small space to do so much with such organization, I just couldn't get past it.

Joy riding on tractors without air conditioned cabe haven't been much fun in the past few weeks, here in North East Kansas.

Dave.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #157
flybefree

I have perseverated (if I use it two more times today I will remember what it means!) on the excellent use of small space by Jack and others too.

My favorite threads are the ones that are packed with clever use of limited space. I would like to make the most of the space I will have in an excellent fashion as well, but since I am not as creative as those guys it won't be nearly as sweet. But I know this, the end product will be oh so much better now than if I didn't have the inspiration of their work...and I like that.

Yes sir, too hot out there this summer...I think a fall ride would be much more comfortable. Of course any day you can ride an A/C with the boy is a good day.

Shaun

Last edited by flybefree; 08-10-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:43 AM   #158
The Crooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewaydave View Post
perseverate
Thanks, I learned something today. I had to Google that, and I'm English.

Not often my vocabulary fails me.
The Crooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #159
markviii

Hi, Shaun. GJ is wonderful for inspiration. Are you going to color-coordinate that steel silo (post #147) (maybe the tan color)? Just kidding...

The build-out is looking great!

Chris
Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #160
FlyBeFree's Wife

Apparently, GJ is good for inspiration AND vocabulary building. I can't even count how many times we used PERSEVERATE in a sentence last night and this morning! What fun. :-)

markviii (Chris): I like how you are thinking!! Total color coordination will have to be a long-term plan, though, since there are so many barns and out-buildings on the property. I was very impressed with Howell Buildings' job on the color scheme...would never have thought of the gutter details that they did!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #161
flybefree

Chris, your comment just cost me a ton of pain and suffering out in the blistering sun with a paint brush in hand...hah! Things are going well, can't complain a bit.

Crooner: We try to keep the self improvement around here related to garages...apparently things can get out of hand from time to time.

Detail of what the shutters will look like...

Last edited by flybefree; 08-10-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #162
onewaydave

Hey folks, I don't know if I should thank you or apologize. I use that word at work and didn't think about using it here. It is a neat word, though. Some of the other words at work (Emergency Department) are much less appealing.

The sutters look nice and I do notive the tip of the hat to Jack there.

Dave.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #163
mws444

Shaun, you are truely blessed! Great Family, great toys, and a great shed......what more could a guy want out of life?
Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #164
Wingnut65

Shaun, Don't go too wild on the color coordinating. Just be glad Chris didn't ask if you were going to put some wainscot on the silo as well.

The place is coming along great. And I love the shot of your sidekick on the tractor. Thanks for posting it!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #165
mws444

I was thinking about his plane, is'nt it red? Major clash going on there!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #166
flybefree

Oneway you rascal...I saw you "notive" the tip of the hat...and I went straight to the dictionary...not there. Thought it might be Latin since you work in the ER...not there. Either you are a pulling my leg or it's a typo...I choose to believe you are just a really funny guy. Well done.

MWS: not a thing, I'm so blessed it's really silly...but I am grateful and we try to share our blessings. If grandma wants to babysit we might share'em both for a long weekend! My plan is to repaint the plane...not this year...it will be silver with green tip caps. I am dead serious, green accents...see below, I might need help.

Wingnut: I will try not to go too nuts...but the color schemeing (hah, add that to our vocab) is sort of addictive...it's oddly satisfying. WRT the 40 inch fan club, I love picture...I am a hopelessly proud Poppa.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #167
The Crooner

Quote:
Crooner: We try to keep the self improvement around here related to garages...apparently things can get out of hand from time to time.
No problem, I wont be back, enjoyed the build, dont like the attitude.
The Crooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:48 AM   #168
flybefree

Crooner: my appologies, absolutely no intent to knock on anyone...enjoyed oneway's word choice and was joking about that being self improvement for this guy. Pm sent as well.

Shaun

Last edited by flybefree; 08-11-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #169
Red Leader

Shaun the progress looks fantastic. The colors look great! Can't wait to see what you do with the inside!

-Dave

Old 08-12-2011, 05:04 AM   #170
flybefree

Dave,

As the outside gets closer to completion I am starting to think maybe I need a plan for the inside! I have a plan for the office, but I need some time to think about what to do for some key items in the shop.

1. Lights
2. Heat
3. Electric
4. Floor plan

It took my a long time to come up with exactly what we wanted for the building so I expect it will take me a while to figure out the inside...which is why I am here every day looking and learning from everyone else.

Shaun

Old 08-12-2011, 06:13 AM   #171
Wingnut65

Shaun, Here are some ideas:

1. Lights.... YES.
2. Heat...... YES. And we currently have pently to share..
3. Electric... YES. For an office, at least one outlet per wall. At laeast one wall should have two, closer to the sides rather than centered behind furniture. For the shop, the more the merrier.
4. Floor plan... Talk to the builder. Hopefully he has one he can share with you. At least, he should be building from some sort of floor plan.

Hope some of those help.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #172
mws444

Hey, I like you build and your attitude.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #173
tomstin

Quote:
Is the downspout for the hanger roof dumping into the office gutter and then into the downspout for the office roof? I'm no expert on gutters but that's one big roof! I'm wondering if that configuration will handle a good rain?

But congratulations on the build! I'm jealous!!!!!
tomstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #174
flybefree

Wingnut! I am going to put all those things in...I just can't "see" it yet. I know i will have the airplane parked down by the bifold...have the shop by the overhead door...just don't know EXACTLY what I want to do. I am still contemplating all this things...copy you on the outlets.

MWS, thanks amigo...I really try to be respectful and appreciative of everyone I talk to on GJ.

Tomstin...I don't know...let me look at that, great point. Thank you for pointing that out!

Old 08-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #175
Charles (in GA)

With that big bi-fold door, there is no way to operate it manually. If a thunderstorm ten miles away takes out the power, you cannot get it up or down. Run the power from the building to a twist lock receptacle near the door control box, and use a cord and twist lock plug to make the connection to power. Leave enough cord that you can unplug the cord from the wall and plug it in to the twist lock receptacle on your generator, allowing you to operate the door in an emergency.

Charles
Old 08-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #176
Wingnut65

Quote:
I just can't "see" it yet.
I have AutoCAD. PM/E-mail me and I can throw something together. I fit an RV-7A in mine.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:43 AM   #177
flybefree

Wow, that would be great! PM sent.

Shaun

Old 08-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #178
cdncowboy

Beautiful build!!
Old 08-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #179
thomask

Thumbs up Re: My Build: Simply a Mr. Jack Olsen inspired 1930 Auto Bunker House Geobarn Homage

Shaun,

I am a Garage Journal fan and friend of Jack Olson's work, too. Jack has given me inspiration for better organization and many great ideas for making any garage/shop a really workable area.

Just read through all your thread and will be riding along with you. Life is good and having your dad and family involved will make great memories.

That plane kinda trumps a lot of our "Boys Toys" LOL

Life is a journey and many thanks for sharing your build.

Just can't wait to see the garage, shop and the runway progress.

Last edited by thomask; 08-14-2011 at 03:57 PM.
thomask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #180
flybefree

Got the plumbing rough finished last FRI...so we will eventually have some water in the shop when it's done. Work also started on pouring the footers for the block around the front side of the shop. Took some good advice from you all and added a window in the office looking back INTO the shop...I never would have thought about that.

Shaun

Last edited by flybefree; 08-14-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #181
flybefree

Charles: Good point...working the back up generator plan right now...will have the building wired to accept power from our farm's back up plant...and by plant I mean the old PTO driven generator that we use.

Wingnut: Sent you a couple files and thoughts via email....AUTOCAD save me!

Cdncowboy: Thanks much and for stopping by...I am trying my best is all I can say.

Thomask: Thanks for the encouragement...the plane...I can't help it, my Dad is a pilot, my FIL was a pilot, two of my uncles are pilots...I never had a chance! I am lucky to have this time to spend with my Dad and my boys, it is a special gift. I will need help making the inside work as well as the outside...I have not found the right inspiration yet for a combination working farm shop/hangar/garage/hang out...any ideas will always be welcomed.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #182
Wingnut65

Got 'em. Its like trying to fit 5 pounds in a 25 pound sack with space for 15 pounds of farm equipment and still make everything functional.

As for the lineage of flyers, trying to fight it would be plane crazy! Pilots just have a special air about them. Navioneers are another story...

Old 08-16-2011, 01:09 AM   #183
Red Leader

Awesome awesome awesome!

This thread keeps getting better and better (while my garage keeps getting messier and messier!)

Oh well, at least I have something to look forward to!

More updates! More pictures!

Hopefully that's not too demanding

Old 08-16-2011, 05:38 AM   #184
flybefree

RL:not a problem...I have moe pics to post today. Yesterday the internets would not come to my office...boon to productivity but a bust as far as the important things, namely reading Garage Journal! Assuming we are back on line I will post more today...were you up early feeding the baby? Hope that everything is going well with your wife too. I am looking at vintage drill presses on CL now all thanks to you....and that's a good thing.

Shaun

Old 08-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #185
Red Leader

Huh? Why stop at the drill press?

Just wait till you see what you can pick up for $50 here and there...table saw...radial saw...shaper...wood lathe...

It's dangerous I tell you!

I'm kicking myself because it reminds me of a time that I passed up a Darra James 95 12" table saw for $50. If I had only known that those things are built more robust than an Unisaw.

But...I found my Uni for a buck and change, so nobody should feel too sorry for me

But YES...start with a drill press, they are an easy restore, look good, and are infinitely productive. I definitely see an old 1930s/1940s Walker Turner/Driver Line or Atlas/Craftsman in your shop

Old 08-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #186
flybefree

Masons were out pouring the footer for the block wainscotting around the front of the shop and getting ready to pour the slab for the porch and approach ramps to the big doors in the main shop area....oh and little stoop pad for the man door facing the grain bin which WILL not get any block wainscotting Chris!

Last edited by flybefree; 08-16-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #187
flybefree

Another shot back through the front of the shot towards the back where they are prepping for the approach ramp pour.

Last edited by flybefree; 08-16-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #188
mws444

Quote:

Another shot back through the front of the shot towards the back where they are prepping for the approach ramp pour.
Man you guys are moving fast! Since you are a farm boy I know a 6" thick slab is in the works, how many yards?
Yours being in a the shade and the higher humidity up there you should have to dump a bunch of water on it everyday like I did.
You have to let your 40" fan to put his handprint in there somewhere!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #189
flybefree

Things are moving right along, I really dont' know how many yards total are going to be poured...I would have to dig up the numbers of the office, shop, and outside work combined. It is substantially less than 230 yds, that is for sure. Going with 5" in the shop...6" was my first answer, but the experts talked me down to 5", said if 5" won't hold it means the site prep was wrong...if the site prep is wrong then 6" will crack. We have 4" in my Dad's shop and have not had any cracks in 25 years...of course that was a DIY job that cost little and will last forever.

I hope to get my 40" AND my 30" (stand by for pics of the expanded fan base) fan club members hand prints in there somewhere. Since we don't live/work there full time I don't know if we won't have to have a special feature made where we mix up some quickrete and do the Holywood walk of fame thing for the boys. At my Dad's place everytime we poured anything we had our hands in that stuff...by the time we were in college you'd think we would have outgrown that...we did not. I will put my hands in it too...because that is how I roll.

Pouring after getting the roof up is to help moderate the curing process...we shall see. I am nervous about the pad...everything else contructionwise I am either familiar enough to be confident it has been done right or I am too ignorant to know any better...but if the pad comes out lopsided and cracked I will be sporting a very sad face. I don't like my sad face...it gets all srcrunchy and it makes me look really old.

Last edited by flybefree; 08-17-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #190
Red Leader

I've heard about the importance of keeping it wet for a while, but that is just from reading what others do. Like you I know very little about concrete.

But still, sending you warm and happy concrete curing wishes

Old 08-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #191
flybefree

You know...helped pour a few projects on the farm and never worried one little bit about it. I mean, we always figured if the darn Romans could do it in sandals and togas how hard could it be? Maybe we were always just lucky...maybe it's like anything in this life, the more you read about it on the internets the more worried you get.

*Unsolicited advice warning* Speaking of that, RL do not let your wife read all the internet forums for mothers of young children...you spend one day reading that stuff and you will be convinced something bad happens to every baby every month.

If I were to write a screen play about the build this is what I would be saying in this scene (to nobody in particular of course) with the sunsetting over the fields and an American flag in the background as the pour starts:

"I am an AmeriCAN not an AmeriCAN'T. I will not take the counsel of my fears...I may have to do it twice, but I will do it. Did the founding Fathers get it right the first time? Did Lewis and Clarke ever have to double back? Did J-Lo have to marry more than once?"

And star-swipe...

roll the credits...

it's a Eurpoean type ending, leaves you with more questions than answers. (no offense intended to any European film makers, students, or fans...it's more about the overly simplistic storylines common to American films)

Old 08-18-2011, 05:38 AM   #192
flybefree

http://legacyindustrial.net/cart/con...kit-p-172.html

Plan for this weekend: pick a floor coating

I bought the Legacy Industrial Flooring concrete stain sample kit last week and scabbed together a 4' x 4' test frame that the masons filled with extra concrete during the first pour. Per Scott's suggestion at Legacy by the way, and I am going to get out there early and try out the colors that I have been considering on actual concrete. I have been leaning towards the light tan or sand color as a good neautral tone.

I also am aiming to get the fan club up at sunrise to watch a hot air balloon race kick off...I think it will be a bit more sedate than a day at the salt flats.

I will try to do a better job documenting this process for you guys.

Shaun

Old 08-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #193
Red Leader

Take some pictures

I'd definitely be interested in seeing the test samples you put down, as I'm sure the rest of us would. Don't worry, we'll help you decide. Heck we'll just decide for you, take the load off for ya. You know what an opinionated bunch we are

Old 08-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #194
tinbender 66

Awesome place and I really like that Navion. I have a friend that picked up a derelict one and actually flew it home. It's being restored now so I haven't gotten a chance for a ride yet. I don't own an airplane but I do have a license to fly. I don't know about you but I can have the most stressful day, hop in a plane and as soon as the wheels leave the ground all that stress just evaporates.

Paul

The never ending project:

THE PEDESTRIAN GARAGE
tinbender 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #195
nkachur

Shaun,

Unbelievable, you have structure and I have the start of a base. Congrats on the speed that things are coming together for you. And things look great so far.

nkachur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #196
flybefree

RL, I have no doubts opinions will be voiced...would not want it any other way.

Tinbender, thanks so much....I feel the same way about flying...haven't flown enough recently.

Nkachur, it looks fast because the months of planning worked out I guess...the builder is doing a great job...progress will slow once we get inside because that is where my plan stops right now!

Old 08-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #197
Red Leader

Soo...any updates on the concrete color choices?

Old 08-22-2011, 06:14 AM   #198
flybefree

Updates....why yes we have some updates today! My mission this weekend was to pick a color to stain the floor, and I did succeed.

So, I scabbed together a little frame and asked the masons to fill it when they poured the footer for the block wall. I took some soap and water and a stiff bristled brush and scrubbed the pad shown above and let it dry.

IMG]http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1275&pictureid=11158[/IMG]

I read the directions (again) on the sample kit from Legacy Industrial, the bottles are all 4 oz. and it came with 10 colors and a sample of basic sealer which I did not use. The directions were pretty straightforward. Went to Wallyworld and bought a few $.99 spray bottles and brushes to apply the stain with.

I tried three colors (Desert Amber, Shifting Sands, Cola) on this first attempt. The left is Desert Amber applied in three ways, spray, brush, and spray with brushed in Cola brown to see if the combination would work well. The product makes a cool "fizzy" sound when applied and it does let off that noxious "acid" odor so wear a mask like the directions say.

I was sure I was going to like the Desert Amber, but sitting next to the building it did not match the khaki siding and looked more yellow. The cola and shifting sand were OK, but I decided to try some more colors.

I found some clean concrete beside the milk house and prepped it then I applied the avacado (some say JO) green, seagrass and on the right English Red. The English red really looked good, in fact it noticed that Wallyworld had the same color in their store and it looks pretty good.

So, I am going to go with the English Red (really looks like a light red/brown) in the shop. Concrete will hopefully go down this week.

Got back late last night so I will download some more photos later.

Last edited by flybefree; 08-22-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:44 AM   #199
Wingnut65

Glad you made it back safe. What, not even one balloon shot?

Great idea to try out the samples. Nice color choices. Those greens and blues and yellow could make interesting floors.

Not sure if the concrete texture would give any variation to the finish, but the first pic looks like the form was just filled and leveled off. The pad in the last photo is broom swept finish. What finish will you have in the hangar - smooth or broom? Smooth finish may give a better consistency to the finish.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #200
shopnut

Quote:
Took some good advice from you all and added a window in the office looking back INTO the shop...I never would have thought about that.

Shaun
Once in a blue moon, someone actually takes my advice - Only problem is now you have to keep the shop cleaned up to avoid looking at an eyesore out the office window!

I took a better picture of the Asylum apartment floor on the last trip out. Note how every random detail of the base concrete shows through. If you look closely, you will see some lighter lines running the full width of the picture (horizontally) and this is where the tape line held down the craft paper. I guess after a month, some of the glue transferred to the concrete surface and slightly inhibited the acid from soaking in.

819a-Apartment-Floor-01.JPG

Old 08-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #201
Wingnut65