Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #221
Sanko

Default Re: 44 Bikes Frame Shop

Hello. I put this thread in my bookmarks, thanks a lot man!
Sanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #222
kpc655

great building. i love the older buildings. they have so much more character even if it is a PITA to make anything square!
kpc655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #223
e30bradley

great job with this shop build.. I just read it from page 1-12 and I'm pretty impressed. I'm also an avid cyclist and my frame is actually getting a bit small. I'm going to PM you.
e30bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #224
fortyfour

Square? That's a mouthful. Nothing is square in this space. The floor has been the biggest challenge to work around. It was a total PITA x10 to build that stud wall on the floor and then get it in place. I was using blocks and shims like they were going out of style. Don't think I posted up this process shot of putting part of the stud wall together:

When I had this finished, I had to crank the Bridgeports table all the way to the left, move the wall past it, pivot and then move the Bridgeports table all the way to the right while holding the wall up with one hand. Fun times.
44 Bikes Shop Build

Last edited by fortyfour; 01-09-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: image correction
fortyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #225
Bib Overalls

In the real world "level," "plumb, and "even" are theoretical concepts.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratpoison/

When I am dead and gone a new owner will walk into my 99% completed dream shop and say "this place has potential."
Bib Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #226
HIRISC

Very, very impressive all the way around. The setting, the transformation, the craftsmanship (great welding) and the photography.

Kudos.
HIRISC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #227
supra90turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bib Overalls View Post
In the real world "level," "plumb, and "even" are theoretical concepts.
Agreed.

On another note, 44... I am without words. I wish I had your clarity when looking at objects and spaces.
supra90turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #228
bmwtinut

Quote:
Originally Posted by studlyrs View Post
Great work on the shop and bikes. I checked out your website and blog. I always wondered how many guys on this journal frequent mtbr.com.
I was thinking the same thing. Reading this just gets me stoked to go out and ride! Instead I am inside designing custom medical equipment on Solidworks.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #229
LoRollinLS

This place keeps getting better and better.
LoRollinLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #230
d0nk3y

Window in rafters = Skylight.
d0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #231
fortyfour

Again: Thanks to all for the kind words. Things are coming together nicely. A little slower than I would ideally like, but good things take time as they say.

@supra90turbo: Those are powerful words and well said. I've found the more difficult tasks I have taken on over time, that clarity of vision gets just a bit easier each time. But then again, the most simple decisions can take the longest to get "just so".

@bmwtinut: I hear you on that. Glad to provide some stoke though. That's what this whole thread is about. I had to "make" some time today for a much needed ride:

Watch it here.
44 Bikes Shop Build
Old 01-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #232
johnny ro

Good stuff. Thanks for the great read.

I also have shop in NH (03832) but its not like yours. Mine was already clean and square, now modestly equipped for weekend hobby vehicles.

I have four tentative recommendations.

1- Try Craig Deoxit on the Bridgeport switchery. It works well on Stratocasters and McIntosh equipment.

2- Beware concrete floors in NH. In unheated spaces, they stay cold, and cause heavy condensation. Steel rusts fast. Bye-Bye former museum piece Miata. Hello, Amsoil heavy rust protector spray. Midwinter thaws will see dense fog pour inside the shop if you so much as open a door.

My next shop in NH will be a real NH barn, an old barn with basement and main floor with loft. Activities on main floor.

3- Be aware of high quality disposable rubber gloves. $10 for 40 at Home Hell Depot. They are great for shop time. Keeps hands from aging visibly within six months, and clear of petroleum products.

4- Shop stereo FM appears to be missing. I am not advocating that you move beyond simple stereo college station music to internet connectivity for each item in the shop.

Kindest regards, John

Last edited by johnny ro; 01-10-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: more content
johnny ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #233
FFAC40

I just stumbled across this forum, found this thread, and 2.5 hours later...I am seriously impressed with your creativity, determination, and flat out talent. I don't know anything about milling, lathing (if that is how you spell it), or the like, but I can see your passion and the fact that your are pursuing your dream is, just like everyone has said, inspiring. I will be sub'd for this evolving build!
FFAC40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #234
wlspdshop

Just amazing....love it and nice work.
wlspdshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #235
fortyfour

@johnny ro: Thanks for the thoughts and recommendations. Much appreciated!

You are right on the cold floors in NH comment. This is one of the reasons why I opted to build, insulate and heat the space before the floor is repoured. If I invest that much in a new floor, I want to have the space prepared to protect it.

Which brings me to one of the most important factors in any space: Sound. I'm working on this. I have 4 speakers poised to go to 11. I have a call out to friends and family for a receiver. I was kicking the idea around about running internet from the house out there when we pulled the wire from house for power, but opted not to. I want to be 'unplugged' when I'm in the shop. No telephone. No internet. I want to work, look outside and listen. That's it

Here's some history for everyone: My grandfathers welders manual. You can see his penmanship / business name (Superior Welding Co.) in the top left in pencil:

44 Bikes Shop Build
Old 01-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #236
wxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
The black bike can be run as an ss by flipping / switching the dropouts (pics are from an earlier prototype):

44 f1 Drops - Geared mode by BLACK CAP Studio, on Flickr

44 f1 Drops - Single speed mode by BLACK CAP Studio, on Flickr

The red bike uses a bushnell EBB:

44 Snake Driver - EBB by BLACK CAP Studio, on Flickr

44 Snakedriver - Paint #3 by BLACK CAP Studio, on Flickr

The sky is the limit with a custom build - if the customer wants sliders or an EBB I can build to their requests. I just personally don't like sliders. I do however like how the Bushnell version of an EBB works with the expansion bolt vs the set screw types.
Just a thought. It might be more cost/weight effective to keep a regular bottom bracket, but make a horizontal sliding rear drop-out (Kona did that in the Sutra).

Hey, Love your built (Bike and Shop)!!!!

My wanted list .
wxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #237
CarterKraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
@Muibubbles (nice handle btw!) To bend the tubes, I'm using a JD2 Model No. 32 bender. More info here. It is modified though-the followers on these work fine for thicker walled tubing but the majority of the tubes I am welding/bending are .035" wall thickness and thinner. The key to bending thin walled tubes is to have the tube at the point of tangency fully supported. The achilles heel of these benders is that at this point, the follower does not have support. So I machined a few round followers and that really fixed the bender and allows it to bend really well. The other part that I modified is how the tube is held. Stock, you need to basically waste 3" of tube and there is no reference point that is consistently fixed. So I made a clamp that holds the tube differently and closer to where the tube begins to bend.
Love your shop build, it has the feel of a "million dollar" production hidden in the woods.

I would love to see your bender mods. I have that bender and while I haven't bent any small tube like you are doing I might be able to benefit from your modifications.
CarterKraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #238
Honest Bob

Awesome work!
Honest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #239
Spam16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxm View Post
Just a thought. It might be more cost/weight effective to keep a regular bottom bracket, but make a horizontal sliding rear drop-out (Kona did that in the Sutra).

Hey, Love your built (Bike and Shop)!!!!
Sliding drops are a weak link in the direct line of fire for extreme stress. EBB's aren't a perfect solution, but are a very viable option vs. a sliding drop and added links in the chain of weaknesses.
Spam16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #240
paredown

A friend from RoadBikeReview (GirchyGirchy) posted a link to this thread--in response to a thread I had started about my "dream garage."

I have read and enjoyed every word of this thread--dad was a machinist and tool and die maker, so seeing the old tool case, the Starrett and Hobart brochures (not to mention the Bridgeport)--and the nice shots of good clean welds, was both a trip down memory lane and an inspiration. Everybody needs a welder and a milling machine in their garage!

You've now got me thinking I need to hunt up and recycle a post and beam structure--nothing on the property now except the house--since it will give a similar feel to your space, and keep stuff out of the landfill. Or go to timber framing school and build from scratch.

I'm finishing off the last section of a major house reno, and the tools have to go somewhere!
paredown is offline   Reply With Quote