Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #201
98TJ

Default Re: Grunge Garage

Bill, awesome work so far. Keep it up. Don't stop.

My mom recently bought a house that was owned by an elderly couple that were both hoarders. The 2300sq ft. main floor had stuff in it, as did the full basement.

My brother got a hydraulic dump trailer and hauled off three loads from the basement but there's still another load or two to go.

Not sure if that's an option in the Detroit area, but it might be worth considering. They just loaded the trailer and hauled it to the landfill.

I made a trip to visit her and ran cable for the hole house, cleaned a good portion of the basement, installed two fluorescent lights in a "work area", and it's MUCH nicer.

Having that one area clean and usable really makes a visual impact and gives motivation to make the rest of it match.

Without having that clean area the basement just seemed completely overwhelming.

Keep chipping away at it.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #202
bczygan

The best laid plans..........

The first task was to put the plate on the snomo trailer. Holes were there in an alum. tube for bolts. Looked for bolts. Took forever to find 2. Tried to fit them and holes just a tad too small. Went looking for tap for bolt thread size. Finally found one. No tap wrench. Looked everywhere. Finally found an adjustable wrench. Tapped the 2 front holes. Realized the shank of the bolts was larger and needed to drill out the back holes. Looked forever for a drill. Looked around for a drill and battery. Drilled out holes. Still too small. Looked for larger drill bit. Looked for calipers to check sizes. Checked out OK. Went to drill out hole and battery died. Same with second battery. Looked for charger all over. Did not find.
Finally took small round file and finished holes, installed bolts, washers and nuts and plate.
I'm so beat, I need a vacation.
I really need to get organized!!!

I'm a loner with poor social skills, living in a delusional world

Why is there anything?
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #203
rickairmedic

Bill enjoy your vacation and come back energised and ready to get " organized " . You have come a long way already and I am sure you will come back ready to go further . I am out here again today myself cleaning and organizing and removing soot from walls and stuff . I added a few pics to my thread last night and hopefully by tonight will have some more to add to it . I am very proud of you for what you have managed to do already as I know just doing what I am doing it seems almost overwhelming at times but just like eating an elephant I am taking small bites and working through it . The plus for you as you find things ( like the cartop carriers ) is you can make some money off of craigslist to fund more work .

Rick
Old 08-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #204
98TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczygan View Post
The best laid plans..........

The first task was to put the plate on the snomo trailer. Holes were there in an alum. tube for bolts. Looked for bolts. Took forever to find 2. Tried to fit them and holes just a tad too small. Went looking for tap for bolt thread size. Finally found one. No tap wrench. Looked everywhere. Finally found an adjustable wrench. Tapped the 2 front holes. Realized the shank of the bolts was larger and needed to drill out the back holes. Looked forever for a drill. Looked around for a drill and battery. Drilled out holes. Still too small. Looked for larger drill bit. Looked for calipers to check sizes. Checked out OK. Went to drill out hole and battery died. Same with second battery. Looked for charger all over. Did not find.
Finally took small round file and finished holes, installed bolts, washers and nuts and plate.
I'm so beat, I need a vacation.
I really need to get organized!!!
A HUGE advantage to a clean and organized garage/shop is that when you need something, you know exactly where it is.

Time spent looking for something is time lost being productive.

I'm out in the garage today cleaning. I'd love to be working, but I had to take a break and re-organize.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #205
bczygan

Latest additions to the garage. HF creeper and engine stand. These are things that are supposed to be in the garage. Not in a car top carrier in the yard!
Put 3 car top carriers and 5 preformed ponds on the flat roofed shed for temp. storage. Got the best car top carrier out for the trip.
Brought the lathe table, motor and base into the yard.
Julie picked through the pile of really awful mess in the back hall and filled a trash can. This is where I brought the puppies in when it rained and there were blankets but also misc. things and sometimes they peed or pooped there. It's all cleaned up now. Just needs a final sweep and disinfectant mop. This is part of letting things go too far.
I was feeling hopeless today after the license plate debacle. But now the back yard is showing signs of shaping up, so hope springs anew.
One thing a changed attitude brings is a different outlook on things. Some of the boards I picked up are going into a burn pile. They just don't make the grade anymore.
Well, back to it. More photos later.

Why is there anything?
Old 08-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #206
rickairmedic

Bill I am still out here with you working away and also finding a new found freedom in loading the large toters to go to the curb tomorrow . I am following advice I have heard here many times . That if you havent used it in a year it can go out the door . I only have 2 toters so I have to leave most of one of them for regular household outgoing garbage every week but that gives me a whole toter to myself plus whatever I can stuff in the other one on sunday night .

I am taking back getting rid of the ponds . I think you should keep them as I think they will be a reward for you and Julie once you find the backyard again you can put up the deck and put the poinds out and have a nice place to relax when you are done .

I gotta ask was that one of the southbends sitting outside the fence under a tarp if it was I am honestly amazed that someone else didnt help you deal with it .

Rick
Old 08-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #207
bczygan

A little more and a little find...
Decided to clear the back walk a little more.
Brought the spare van rack further into the yard.
Turned the kayak over and dumped the water out and put it on the pile of lumber.
Pulled out the roll of vinyl flooring for the kitchen and put on lumber pile.

And then........I found the tanks of acetylene and oxygen I forgot I had!
Rolled them over to the back steps and up onto the porch. I've got hoses and a gauge set and torch I would like to try out sometime!
Bridgeport head and ram are on a pallet there on the walk. I'd like to get them inside too, but pretty heavy.

Brought the car top carrier around front for Julie to clean and I'll put it on the Astro so she can fill it.

Rick, Don't know if I could hack the 1 year rule. My excuse to myself is that I'm building for the future.....I have installed a round pond in the front yard right in front of the living room windows with a fountain in it. Need to landscape it. I can sit on the front porch and enjoy it too. Congrats on your cleanup work, The South Bend base and motor and a wood bench with mounting plate were under a brown tarp. I think the neighborhood is a little afraid of me and my landscaping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3594.JPG (131.2 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3597.JPG (134.7 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3598.JPG (135.4 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3599.jpg (57.0 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3606.JPG (130.6 KB, 301 views)

Why is there anything?

Last edited by bczygan; 08-28-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #208
rickairmedic

Bill thats half the fun of cleanup finding things that you forgot you had .

Rick
Old 08-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #209
Kevin54

Bill......is this in the house or garage? Non-the-less, you really need to get everything OFF of the stairs. That is an accident waiting to happen.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #210
magnusk750

Keep up the good work! But, some words from me, I think you really must also get rid of stuff, not only organise it. I have hoarding tendencies myself in that way that I hate throwing usable things away, though happily I don't have the need to collect stuff or make scores. Sell stuff you don't need, give to charity and even throw away! I mean getting a few quids for stuff you've had laying around for years is quite rewarding, and giving to charity also, as you know it's going to be used. I also gueas you could have a chat with the cahrity organisations and ask them what they are interested in. Basically it seems like you have everything, from childrens clothes to tools, so knowing what they are most interested in could help choosing where to start and choose what could be sold or given away or tossed.

Another thought, the one year rule is maybe too harsh for us with not so thick wallets, but even a five or ten year rule can make sense.

Facebook: facebook.com/OyMagnusHenriksson
Old 08-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #211
rickairmedic

Magnus trust me my wallet isnt that thick . I have just plain come to the realization that I will have more room if I toss some things that I dont currently have a use for . I come from a long line of hoarders my grandmother is 98 and still lives in a house by herself with a 3 car garage that you would be hard pressed to fit a moped in . Her garage is stacked floor to ceiling and wall to wall with cardboard boxes most of which most likely havent been opened in 20-30 years. I am going to break the cycle even if it kills me .

Rick
Old 08-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #212
bczygan

Julie worked shoulder to shoulder with me today. Cleaned up back yard. Restacked and covered lumber. Collected 5 garbage bags and 3 bins of trash. Swept back hall and porch and remounted rear door. Main things left to do:
Bring in fridge
Bring lathe table, bed and motor further into yard.
Bring table saw into yard.
Cover with tarp.
Take snowmobiles and trailer to property (On the way)
Pack for trip and leave.

Kevin and Magnus,
Yes, I agree. I need to get rid of more than just trash items.
My plan is to go through the house room by room and empty the room completely. Then paint and refinish and THEN reinstall the appropriate furnishings and artwork. At that point, everything else that was in the room goes away, either to CL or donations.

Photos show our snomos and 2 photos of the partly reclaimed back yard. A lot more dirt than we have seen in a while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3608.jpg (57.0 KB, 564 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3616.jpg (68.0 KB, 733 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3617.jpg (73.8 KB, 627 views)

Why is there anything?

Last edited by bczygan; 08-29-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #213
magnusk750

Rick: OK, 1 year rule a little too harsh for me basically being a student, without supporting parents, as I'm 40+. Or, if I'm only saved from becoming a hoarder because I dont have the addiction, or is it so that what I do for a living, selling NOS spare parts makes it possible to hoard, and in the same time sell the stuff and live out of it. Anyway, no offense from my part.

Btw, your grandmothers place sounds cool, in the remote corners of the house or garage, that she hasn't seen herself for 50 years must be loads of vintage stuff...

Bill, I'm sure you are on the right track, and super to hear your wife is also on.

Facebook: facebook.com/OyMagnusHenriksson

Last edited by magnusk750; 08-29-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #214
rickairmedic

Magnus the sad part is my grandmother moved from Virginia to Fla about 15 years ago and it took 2 semi trucks to move her and yes a good portion of those boxes are most likely still sealed from the move before that 15-20 years earlier which means several of them have most likely not been opened for at least 30 years if not more .

Rick
Old 08-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #215
bczygan

Final report for Monday evening, 29 Aug.
Moved the lathe base and table further into the yard....oops, forgot the motor. I;ll get that right after this post. Brought the grocery cart and dolly in, and the C'man table saw. Covered everything with tarps including the big lumber pile that used to have car top carriers on it.
Things left to do:
Pick up leaf piles (2) and use leaf blower on street and walks. - Done
Clean curb across street and put out 5 dumpsters - Done
Lock (Bolt) garage shut - Done
Cover wood pile - Done
Cover lawnmowers - Done
Put away garden tools (Rakes and shovels etc.) and weed whips. - Done
Nail up a fence panel on the side gate. - Done
Bring in fridge. - Working
Push Airstream up drive. - Omit
Message for mail delivery person. - Done
Hitch up snomo trailer - Done
Empty other van of valuables - Done
Pack - Working
Leave - Leaving in the morning for 5 day instead of 11, but with house and yard in much better shape

Part of the success of this process is making check lists. I'm a pilot and we use them because you can't always remember everything. But here, they serve another purpose. They give you tasks and goals to accomplish. I keep them short and usually in the order I intend to do them. But I don't always follow them to a T. Once in print, especially on a public forum, they are commands to be followed. They become much more real.

Why is there anything?

Last edited by bczygan; 08-30-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #216
Lump
Super Moderator

Hey, Bczygan...

Great progress. Enjoy your vacation, and then come back and hit it again...hard! You're on your way, and you're inspiring all of us with a little too much stuff to start getting rid of it.

Great thread.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #217
rickairmedic

Bill you have had a Southbend Lathe sitting out on a table near the street for how long and you are worried about removing valuables from the inside of a locked van .

Good to hear your still going at it . I found another wall and bench today with any luck I will be able to start tackling the loft by next weekend .I even posted my older smaller Craftsman Oxy/Acet rig on craigslist today as well as all my spare B sized Acet tanks .

Rick
Old 08-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #218
hobie1dog

Wish all the pics in the beginning of this thread would show up.

Go to www.Obsidiancaraudio.com for great subwoofers

Does a culture based on seperation and competition, of scientific sophistication and medieval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
Old 08-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #219
bczygan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie1dog View Post
Wish all the pics in the beginning of this thread would show up.
They will on the 6th.

Why is there anything?
Old 08-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #220
Lobstrosity

Keep up the good battle! Sounds like your lady is getting into the tidy up mood too.

Hope your motivation keeps up after your vacation, as I look forward to more updates!
Closed Thread