Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #41
Rich H.

Default Re: 24x30 build in progress

It's comin'. But good grief this is alot of work.

Tonight, if I've got any energy left.....the south wall needs a little tape, the east wall needs a whole lot of mud....

....and I still need to plan out the boiler and integrator panel locations and make sure the wiring matches up. May have to move things around a little bit, not sure.

Was up until midnight last night, got up at 5:30am today and was something of a zombie until 4:00....either the caffeinated drink from lunch kicked in, or I got my second wind. Not sure which.

One really dumb but pleasant side effect: I'm going through some really nasty fall allergies right now. Sinuses are like a faucet, it's making me cough all the time and so on. It's really nasty. Well, when I put the dust mask on to sand the mud....no more allergies! Clears right up. Take the mask off, and it starts right back up again.

So I guess I need to hurry up and get back to sanding mud to make my allergies go away
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00580.jpg (17.9 KB, 116 views)
Rich H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #42
Motofixxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich H. View Post

So I guess I need to hurry up and get back to sanding mud to make my allergies go away

Or just walk around all day with a mask on. Only take it off for a shower. Just tell people you have a contagious disease and it's for their safety. They will be very thankful

Click Here for INFORMATIVE Legal Info and videos

Our INALIENABLE Right to Travel Defined Legal Style

Don't Talk to Cops (PLEASE WATCH, Important for any and all Law Enforcement Encounters)
Motofixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #43
Rich H.

Oddly, since the colder/worse weather has blown in, whatever I was allergic to has mostly blown away. I'm not in perfect shape but am a whole lot less miserable...only the occasional hacking lets the world know I'm not quite 100%.

I had bought a bag of drywall clips and thought I'd need them for the ceiling by the gables, but ended up floating it instead. They say floating is less likely to crack, hope so.

Today I found a use for the clips, I sheetrocked underneath the shelf, between the joists on the wall. It's hard to describe so will post a pic later, but I think it'll look sharp when done.

Also sanded the east wall and found a couple little things to correct.

Am planning on rolling a little more primer tomorrow, and tightening up the wiring for the radiant system/getting ready to mount the radiant components.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #44
Rich H.

Guess it is update time.

Without any further blabbering...the east wall is primed finally!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00581.JPG (110.1 KB, 142 views)
Old 10-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #45
Rich H.

Somehow the panel grew a few boxes and conduit...They just kind of sprouted out of there. One is going to the boiler, the others....future expansion...

The 'step' above the panel is where I made the transition from the horizontal strapping to normal vertical studs, seemed a good place to mount th...err, uh...I mean I have no idea how they got there so never mind...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00582.jpg (12.7 KB, 269 views)
Old 10-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #46
Rich H.

Piece of plywood for the integrator and boiler, pex, the pressure test manifold, and so on...

The stubs in the floor are more future expansion pieces, since sometimes I have trouble making up my mind. Might want a tiny bathroom area or at least a slop sink out there someday, might not like the electric boiler bills and might want gas instead, so I tried to keep my options open.

Also you can see I ripped the wires out of the garage door opener, oops....got a little clumsy when I was bolting the plywood on...easy fix but annoying....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00583.JPG (106.4 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by Rich H.; 10-09-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #47
Rich H.

Also started priming the underside of the loft to brighten up that area, and put sheetrock up in between each one. I guess I could be fancy and trim it all out but I haven't got the patience, and will probably just use painter's caulk around the edges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00584.JPG (126.0 KB, 156 views)
Old 10-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #48
Rich H.

The north ceiling is primed also, no pic, and there ain't much to look at anyway, just a whole bunch of white drywall, but it turned out OK. Not an easy job on the shoulders using the super-extendo-pole with a roller on the end of it....I'm still sore from that and am concentrating on walls for awhile before I do the south ceiling.

Also primed/cut=in all the ceiling corners using the time honored "brush duct taped to a stick" technique (actually the same extension pole as above), so that is knocked out now.

The south wall is all sanded except two little 8 inch long spots by the exhaust fan that I forgot about, and finally taped yesterday. So after I sand those tomorrow that wall will be ready to take primer.

With any luck, I will be rolling the finish coats on by this coming weekend and can get to some cleanup and power washing the slab. Part of me wishes I had covered it up to avoid getting mud and paint on it, but the other part of me knows what a tripping hazard it would have been...I couldn't have handled it.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #49
Rich H.

Primer is complete as of 11:00 last night, on to color selection and finish coats.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #50
stangman39

I've enjoyed reading all your progress.
Thanks to you I learned there are trusses that can help get more ceiling height for an eventual lift. I'm in the beginning stages of planning to build mine in the future!
I had thought I needed to go with 12' walls so the lift would work well but am thinking now maybe I can go with 10' and use scissor trusses to get the needed height I want.
stangman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #51
stick004

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangman39 View Post
I've enjoyed reading all your progress.
Thanks to you I learned there are trusses that can help get more ceiling height for an eventual lift. I'm in the beginning stages of planning to build mine in the future!
I had thought I needed to go with 12' walls so the lift would work well but am thinking now maybe I can go with 10' and use scissor trusses to get the needed height I want.
Yep, I'm in the same boat. Scissor trusses al the way through. I thought they were going to be sooo much more expensive. Turns out they were roughly $20 more per truss. than the standard flat truss.

Rich, Great looking shop. your progress is great and I'm still tagging along with you to get ideas. for my shop in progress.
stick004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #52
Rich H.

Glad to be of help!

I did the same thing....it's what this place is all about

If I could do it over I would have gone with "RAISED HEEL" scissor trusses, for more insulation at the eaves.....but I didn't know they existed.

However even with the eaves having slightly less insulation than the rest of the ceiling assembly....the effect of the insulation is very apparent now and am really happy with that aspect of it. Can't wait to get in there and tear into some projects.

Any questions or comments, holler
Old 10-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #53
Rich H.

oh yeah....I went and got the paint last night.
Didn't do any work, just went paint shopping.

Verdict?

Ceiling white, and white semi gloss for the walls.

It isn't going to look like much, but at least I'll be able to see what the heck I'm doing.

If it's any consolation I do have a gallon of gray and two gallons of blue on the shelf, and "could" get fancy and do stripes or graphics at any time.....but am going for light and bright for the time being.

I think I'm probably going to like it that way.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #54
stangman39

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick004 View Post
Yep, I'm in the same boat. Scissor trusses al the way through. I thought they were going to be sooo much more expensive. Turns out they were roughly $20 more per truss. than the standard flat truss.
I've also read a parrallel chord truss might work good also.
Good to hear that the scissor trust was only $20 more for you per truss...I thought it would have been more.
Are these truss quotes you are getting premade or are you getting the materials and making them yourself? If you are getting them made...how much were you quoted per truss....standard and scissor?

Thanks!
stangman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #55
Rich H.

Not sure what I'm going to do for baseboards......hmmm....any suggestions?

I posted the question in the general area too, hope that is ok

The ceiling has 3/4 of the finish coat applied as of 11:00 last night....will be complete tonight and walls should be done this weekend, barring any major catastrophes....
Old 10-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #56
Rich H.

.....All the drywall is now painted! Semi gloss white for the walls, flat ceiling white (actually grayish) for the ceiling. 2 coats on all the walls too...

Now baseboards, possibly trim, mount up the heating system, clean the slab.....and that's that for now.

Pics to come...
Old 10-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #57
stick004

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangman39 View Post
I've also read a parrallel chord truss might work good also.
Good to hear that the scissor trust was only $20 more for you per truss...I thought it would have been more.
Are these truss quotes you are getting premade or are you getting the materials and making them yourself? If you are getting them made...how much were you quoted per truss....standard and scissor?

Thanks!
These are premade trusses delivered to my house. Cantilever ends with extra overhang on the front. For 27 trusses(2 standard end trusses and 25 scissors; 2' spacing) it was roughly $2100 for all standard flat trusses, $2500 for all the scissors. I talked to the truss guy today and with the 6/12 pitch I will gain about 45" in the center for head room and be about 9' from the top plat to the peak. That's a big truss!

Rich, congrats on the finish paint. How's those shoulders feeling?
stick004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #58
Rich H.

Oh they feel just wonderful, especially after doing the ceiling!

The walls were easy by comparison, once I got a pattern going it wasn't too bad.

I picked up pvc baseboards tonight and put one piece on, caulked the top....and wow. Looks residential, except for the great big mess of course. Going to do the baseboards, caulk top and bottom, then serious cleanup.

I also bought window casing, and will see what I can do....no hurry on the windows, I feel like I can put that on anytime.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #59
Rich H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich H. View Post

The primer I chose is Sheetrock branded, called "first coat". It has gypsum in it and it's supposed to help hide your mistakes..and mask irregularities. We will find out, won't we? At this point I'll take all the help I can get
Yep, well that was a lie I just caught myself in

I read the empty bucket today and it is not gypsum that it is chock full of, it's something else that is incredibly heavy in weight...I think it has more limestone than most but just a guess there.

It seems to have worked....I see the mistakes in it, my mud work is sure not the best, but it ain't half bad either. So I guess today's definition of garage quality is.....a step or two worse than my house is fine
Old 10-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #60
Rich H.

Update time...Baseboards, windows, mounted the integrator and boiler, ran flex conduit and pulled some 6 gauge for the boiler, cut up and bagged the drywall scraps, and there are probably a few other things I forgot to mention....Been busy every night on it.

I acquired one of the universally hated craftsman oil free compressors which is in one of the pics....a blown up 60 gallon v twin with both rods broken, which seems to happen to them often....it was dirt cheap and I really just wanted the tank for capacity reasons.... but the electric motor runs so maybe I'll put rod kits in it and use it for backup when I finally get an industrial compressor like I was planning on eventually. It might be cool to manifold it together with something like a 3HP IR upright, which is the one I have my eye on.

Need to empty it out and power wash the paint drips and drywall mud off of the slab. HD wants like 90 bucks for a couple hours which seems like a ripoff, so I'm going to try my folks' little electric one and see how that works....maybe it'll be enough. I spent a little time scrubbing a couple areas with dish soap/wire brush/taping knife and the stuff does come off so that's a relief, but I sure am not going to do the whole thing that way!

Can't wait to get the damn bikes and drywall lift out of there. I'm planning on hanging another ceiling in my basement this winter so I should probably just stuff it down there now that I'm done with it in the shop.

Anyway that's about it for now. The next Menards run will entail some lighting, a few things for the house, and pieces to get the radiant plumbed and hooked up the rest of the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00586.JPG (127.6 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00587.JPG (113.5 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00585.JPG (126.8 KB, 237 views)