Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Gort the giant robot

Default Famous 55 Chevy

I am sure most people remember the 55 Chevy that was in Two Lane Blacktop and American Graffiti. And yes I know there was more that one used in the filming of those movies. Today I was watching the old tv show Adam 12 and lo and behold, one of the 55 Chevy's was in one of the story lines. There is no missing that car. It was only in the shot for about 30 seconds.

Gort

Gort the giant robot.
Gort the giant robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
superspec

Default Re: Famous 55 Chevy

never seen 2 lane blacktop but AG is one of my favorite movies, when i found it for 40 bux for the dvd i bought it. by far the most expensive dvd ive ever bought.
superspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
GRX

'55 Chevy one-fifty ... cool. "Two-Lane Blacktop" is often hyped since it has a 1970 GTO Judge in it. A mediocre movie at best in my opinion. "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry"? Now that's a car movie.
http://youtu.be/lUyND1_cgJQ
Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

great film , caught that whole 1970 haze , chicks jumping for car to car ..street racing
SpiderGearsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
Shadowdog500

IMHO Two lane blacktop was a mediocre movie as well, and the ending sucked(because there isn't one, it just fades)

Chris
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

like siskel and ebert around here
SpiderGearsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
Krash Kadillak

Wife and I saw AG on our first date in 1973. Must have been good luck. Still together 38 years later.

I was always more interested in Steve's (Ron Howard) '58 Impala.

Last edited by Krash Kadillak; 02-02-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Krash Kadillak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
Stuart in MN

The GTO from Two Lane Blacktop showed up in some TV shows as well - for one, it was in a chase scene on Magnum P.I.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Gort the giant robot

I have seen two of the American Graffiti cars in person. I saw the Pharaoh's chopped Mercury at Universal Studios in the mid 1970s. I saw the 58 Chevy in Valljeo California at the current owners home also in the mid 1970's. The 348 engine was sitting in the garage on the floor. The car had a small block engine at that time. At one time i had 6 orininal AG movie posters. Still have one on my computer room wall.

Gort

Gort the giant robot.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
Falcon67

Two Lane is great - killer cult movie, boring as hell unless you're a true car person. Lots of stuff in the background, like Bill "Mr. Bardall" Helsher.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
buffalobill

two lane blacktop seems more realistic of a car movie than the new breed of "over the top" action car movies. I like it, D Wilson is always worried about keeping the thing in tune, and he has tools, and obviously cared about them, the way he reacts when james taylor explains that he bet on a race with the tools. It doesn't have much entertainment value for someone who doesn't like cars, but its sort of like a "technically correct" movie. I'd rather have that than more outrageous crap with special effects.

The 55 has to be in the top 3 coolest movie cars ever, along with the Fury from Christine, and the interceptor from Mad Max.
buffalobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
DARK AGE 53

I thought about buying the DVD of Two Lane BlackTop but at $30 I don't think so.
DARK AGE 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
Basskiller

What other movie does a character go into a parts store say he needs a rebuild kit for a quadrapuke, I mean quadrajet.
Basskiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
Kevin54

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobill View Post
two lane blacktop seems more realistic of a car movie than the new breed of "over the top" action car movies. I like it, D Wilson is always worried about keeping the thing in tune, and he has tools, and obviously cared about them, the way he reacts when james taylor explains that he bet on a race with the tools. It doesn't have much entertainment value for someone who doesn't like cars, but its sort of like a "technically correct" movie. I'd rather have that than more outrageous crap with special effects.

The 55 has to be in the top 3 coolest movie cars ever, along with the Fury from Christine, and the interceptor from Mad Max.
I'd have to toss in a few from Hollywood Knights. The Pie Wagon, The ElCamino, and Project X.
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
GRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobill View Post

Very true. TLB is pretty straight forward. The movie 'Hot Rod" is that way too. No gratuitous explosions or cars flipped by cannons or skid plates. Speaking of outrageous crap, that black Mad Max interceptor was pretty fake in it's own right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basskiller View Post
What other movie does a character go into a parts store say he needs a rebuild kit for a quadrapuke, I mean quadrajet.
Probably someone who knows what a good carb the Q-jet is.

Last edited by GRX; 02-02-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Q-jet
GRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #16
buffalobill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
Very true. TLB is pretty straight forward. The movie 'Hot Rod" is that way too. No gratuitous explosions or cars flipped by cannons or skid plates. Speaking of outrageous crap, that black Mad Max interceptor was pretty fake in it's own right.
Probably someone who knows what a good carb the Q-jet is.

absolutely true about the mad max car, i just like the way it looks, and it doesnt seem like it would be too hard for a guy fom oz to build something like that and make a lot of power. the blower through the hood look is always in style, and I liked the exhaust, even if just for show. I like the "mail box" kind of hoodscoop over the dual NON air cleaner holleys in TLB as well, along with the fenderwell headers and the 1 piece fiberglass frontend and radiused wheelwells

on the TLB 55, was that a tube axle underneath the front end? or was it still the stock suspension? it looks like different cars used for the movie were either or, but i can't remember if there were any shots from the movie where you could tell.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
GRX

Been so long since I've seen TLB. Not certain, seems I remember one guy referring to the Chevy as a gasser, which would indicate it had a solid axle front end. I do remember they used two GTO's and three Chevys for the film, so who knows.

Mad Max 1&2 blew me away when I saw them in the theater (yes I'm old). Even back then I knew that type blower was belt driven from the crankshaft so it could not be activated in that fashion. For the movies the belt drive was if fact attached to a separate electric motor to provide the switch effect. The Ford Falcon XB GT the interceptor is made from is an awesome car in it's own right.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #18
buffalobill

yeah, i remember seeing mad max when i was about 5, and its probably one of the movies that got me into cars. the car would be cooler if it had a fulltime supercharger and it was just a nitrous button on the shifter.

either way, i am a big fan of superchargers through the hood, they look way cooler than hiding it under the hood.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #19
GRX

Chatting about the '55 Chevy in TLB had me wondering, so I did a quick search. Here is a page which should answer most questions. Yes, it had a tube axle front end.

Also note that a '55 Chevy stunt car made for TLB was also used for American Graffiti.

Quote:
Welcome to the Two-Lane Blacktop Online Museum, home of the restored Two-Lane Blacktop '55 Chevy built by Richard Ruth for the 1971 movie ....

http://twolaneblacktop.yuku.com/topi...1#.TysmgIFCJIc

Last edited by GRX; 02-02-2012 at 06:08 PM.
GRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #20
therealwormey

AG one of my all time favs,partly/mostly because of the music.. TLB good too,makes me think of vanishing point,hated the ending,DM CL was a good flick too,,,,Return to Macon County,, another car movie where the car was more important than the actors
therealwormey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #21
GRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealwormey View Post
AG one of my all time favs,partly/mostly because of the music.. TLB good too,makes me think of vanishing point,hated the ending,DM CL was a good flick too,,,,Return to Macon County,, another car movie where the car was more important than the actors
Macon County Line and Return to Macon County. Good choices. White Lightning and the sequel Gator are pretty good too.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #22
Spurgeon76

"Two Lane Blacktop" is about a lifestyle. It is a slow and unglamorous movie, but you have to respect what it's about. Street Racing in the early 70's.
Spurgeon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #23
buffalobill

thats definetly what i got out of it, and thats why i like the ending. it fades out in slowmo to nothing, because thats the thing that they do. its nothing else, they havent got a home life, or girlfriends, they just race their car for money. I tried showing this movie to some " fast and furious" car fans once, they didn't get it at all. No big wings, no stupid paint jobs or huge stereo systems, just CARS, and serious cars.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #24
DYNA BILL
Banned

I posted this in another thread a while back about Your Favorite Movie Car.
So I'll take the liberty of re-posting it here. And yes, this is my own story. Cut and paste.

"I have personally seen, touched or ridden in all of the cars in American Graffiti.
My friend, Henry Travers, was the transportation coordinator for Lucasfilms and was responsible for procuring the cars used in the movie and ended up owning most of them during and after the movie. Of course, they have all gone their separate ways. He did not, however, own the 56 T-Bird that was driven by Suzanne Sommers. It was owned by a private party who let it be used in the movie. The 32 coupe was a piece of crap held together by bailing wire and duct tape (not the case now) and the 55 (there were at least 3 of them used in the movie) was stupid fast at the starting line. I had the sore neck to prove it."

Edit: By the way, I lived in Sonoma, Ca. for 26 years and worked in both Petaluma, and Novato while the movie was being shot. It's amazing how many hours or days it takes to film a 2 minute scene.

Last edited by DYNA BILL; 02-02-2012 at 09:25 PM.
DYNA BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #25
Scottsdale10

I love adam 12
Scottsdale10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #26
Gort the giant robot

The T-Bird was owned by a employee of the phone company in Santa Rosa Calif. if i remember correctly. My wife worked for the phone company at that time and the story of the T-Bird was in a company news letter issued to company workers. Street Rodder magazine had stories on all the cars and their history.
At the end of American Graffiti during the 55 Chevy rollover scene, you can see the car has a TH400 tranny that did not exist in 1962.
Gort

Gort the giant robot.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #27
DYNA BILL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort the giant robot View Post
The T-Bird was owned by a employee of the phone company in Santa Rosa Calif. if i remember correctly. My wife worked for the phone company at that time and the story of the T-Bird was in a company news letter issued to company workers. Street Rodder magazine had stories on all the cars and their history.
At the end of American Graffiti during the 55 Chevy rollover scene, you can see the car has a TH400 tranny that did not exist in 1962.
Gort
The rollover car was also a junker hardtop that Henry stuck a black 2X4 in the window opening to make it look like a sedan. Henry was actually driving the car for the scene and it took a few tries to get it to roll over.
And yes, the owners of the T-Bird would not let it out of their sight during the filming of the movie.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #28
donnie m

here is the history of all the AG cars...
http://americangraffiti.net/movie_cars.html

I'm not drunk, I'm from Wisconsin.

(outdrinking your state since 1848)
donnie m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #29
DYNA BILL
Banned

Donnie,
Thank you for posting that link. I never knew it existed. I've got to go read every bit of it now.
Henry, his wife Jackie, his daughter Sandy who I went to school with, and I were all very close friends. We used to have Saturday night partys at their house about once a month. I was honored to know Henry. His widow and daughter I believe live up in Oregon these days.
Thanks again for posting the link. Time for me to go down memory lane now.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #30
54FordPanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurgeon76 View Post
"Two Lane Blacktop" is about a lifestyle. It is a slow and unglamorous movie, but you have to respect what it's about: Changing jets, and then changing jets
Fixed it.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #31
donnie m

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNA BILL View Post
Donnie,
Thank you for posting that link. I never knew it existed. I've got to go read every bit of it now.
Henry, his wife Jackie, his daughter Sandy who I went to school with, and I were all very close friends. We used to have Saturday night partys at their house about once a month. I was honored to know Henry. His widow and daughter I believe live up in Oregon these days.
Thanks again for posting the link. Time for me to go down memory lane now.

i think it's so cool you were part of it. what a lucky guy !

I'm not drunk, I'm from Wisconsin.

(outdrinking your state since 1848)
donnie m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #32
mudhog

I'm a big fan of Two Lane Blacktop. I even purchased a hardcopy of the script. I get goosebumps just hearing the whine of the rockcrusher muncie. I'm a hot rod car junkie and this movie is at the top for me. I was right in the middle of the street racing scene in the 70s maybe thats why. The picture in my title is a daily driver work car, and yes it has a muncie 4 speed that whines, I don't even turn the radio on.
mudhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #33
GRX

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhog View Post
I'm a big fan of Two Lane Blacktop. I even purchased a hardcopy of the script. I get goosebumps just hearing the whine of the rockcrusher muncie. I'm a hot rod car junkie and this movie is at the top for me. I was right in the middle of the street racing scene in the 70s maybe thats why. The picture in my title is a daily driver work car, and yes it has a muncie 4 speed that whines, I don't even turn the radio on.
here here!!
Nothing like the whine of a RockCrusher. Wouldn't have anything else in my GTO. Next one I build will have the new style Tork-Loc sliders.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #34
superspec

well i just finished watching TLB and i must say it sucked. the 55 was a cool car but the GTO was nothing special to me. i was more caught up in why the girl and the gto guy were even in the damn movie.

was that james taylor the singer?
superspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #35
54FordPanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspec View Post
well i just finished watching TLB and i must say it sucked. the 55 was a cool car but the GTO was nothing special to me. i was more caught up in why the girl and the gto guy were even in the damn movie.

was that james taylor the singer?

Yes.......
Old 02-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #36
Gort the giant robot

Back in the 1970's Street Rodder magazine ran stories on all the main cars in American Graffiti. If I remember right, they said the 55 Chevy used in the rollover shot in the movie was gotten by somebody that fixed the bent sheet metal and went stock car racing with it on a dirt track. I have read here and other places that it went to a scrap yard and it was crushed. Was it really crushed or reborn in to a roundy round car. I heard the car was in Fairfield Calif. at that time. The beat goes on.

Gort

Gort the giant robot.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #37
bestatv

I vaguely remember watching a movie with a very young Don Johnson and the guy from the 48 Hrs. movie. I can't even remember if the car was a 55 or 57 Chevy. CRS.....Can't Remember Shit
bestatv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #38
JCQuick

yup that was a cool car
JCQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #39
71flh
Banned

I haven't seen the movie in a long time, but the idea seemed to be pretty simple.
Good guys raced, worked on the (not flashy cuz it didn't make the car go faster) car, and didn't talk too much.
Bad guys talked a lot of loud BS, drove a flash car, had no idea how to open the hood, and wound up wrecked.

It was a slow movie and as I recall one of the 55 guys is a famous musician who I can't recall now.

The 55 was (in movieland) a 12 second 327 car if I remember right, so it was quick in movie time.
71flh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #40
DYNA BILL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71flh View Post
I haven't seen the movie in a long time, but the idea seemed to be pretty simple.
Good guys raced, worked on the (not flashy cuz it didn't make the car go faster) car, and didn't talk too much.
Bad guys talked a lot of loud BS, drove a flash car, had no idea how to open the hood, and wound up wrecked.

It was a slow movie and as I recall one of the 55 guys is a famous musician who I can't recall now.

The 55 was (in movieland) a 12 second 327 car if I remember right, so it was quick in movie time.
James Taylor singer-songwriter was the driver and the late Dennis Wilson, drummer for the Beach Boys was the mechanic who rode shotgun.
And in the movie, if I recall correctly, the actor said it was a 454. Which is what the car actually had under the hood.

Last edited by DYNA BILL; 02-03-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #41
71flh
Banned

Crap, I've always thought it was an SBC in the 55...
I was thinking JT since I (here I go again) he was the quiet one of the two.

I'm thinking the Goat had a 455.

Anyone remember the GTO driver actor name.

Anyway, it was a good minimal plot (talk) movie until the yellow car showed up...
71flh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #42
DYNA BILL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71flh View Post
Crap, I've always thought it was an SBC in the 55...
I was thinking JT since I (here I go again) he was the quiet one of the two.

I'm thinking the Goat had a 455.

Anyone remember the GTO driver actor name.

Anyway, it was a good minimal plot (talk) movie until the yellow car showed up...
Yes, the Goat had a 455. The actor's name was Warren Oates.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #43
Gort the giant robot

bestatv, the movie with Don Johnson and Nick Nolte was RETURN TO MACON COUNTY
and the car was a yellow 57 Chevy. I have a B&W photo from the movie on the wall in my computer room.
Gort

Gort the giant robot.

Last edited by Gort the giant robot; 02-03-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #44
bestatv

Thank you sir,I knew somebody on this board would know!
bestatv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #45
Gort the giant robot

I just realized i also have a picture of the 55 and the coupe from American Graffiti where they are on the street side by side. My wife use to own a shop that sold colletable stuff related to music, celebritys and movies. Wife is a movie star/rock star stalker.

Gort

Gort the giant robot.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #46
SGTH55

Dyna Bill, I lived in and around Sonoma for about 26 yrs also (Boys Springs off Hwy12 and hung out at the first Marys Pizza Shack). Went to jr and high school there. A lot of of my high school friends were/had cars in the movie. Great cars.
SGTH55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #47
ratdoggy

Quote:
I have seen two of the American Graffiti cars in person. I saw the Pharaoh's chopped Mercury at Universal Studios in the mid 1970s. I saw the 58 Chevy in Valljeo California at the current owners home also in the mid 1970's. The 348 engine was sitting in the garage on the floor. The car had a small block engine at that time. At one time i had 6 orininal AG movie posters. Still have one on my computer room wall.

Gort
I remember seeing the Merc just sitting there parked with other cars at the studio, getting weatherbeaten.
ratdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #48
DYNA BILL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTH55 View Post
Dyna Bill, I lived in and around Sonoma for about 26 yrs also (Boys Springs off Hwy12 and hung out at the first Marys Pizza Shack). Went to jr and high school there. A lot of of my high school friends were/had cars in the movie. Great cars.
Oh Man! Someone remembers the ORIGINAL Mary's Pizza Shack! That was my hangout! Sittin' on the porch eatin' pizza and drinkin' a cold one! Cruisin' the loop from Mary's, circle the Plaza, and back again.
I lived off of Boyes Blvd. in the Bel Air subdivision when I left in 1980.
Depending upon you age, I might know you or someone you know.
I graduated from Sonoma High in 1970. Cheers!
Send me a PM and tell me your name. I may know you!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #49
SGTH55

I was a freashman in 70. My wife's family lived on Cherry Ave (still do). I lived in Shellville at that time. 73-76 was my first time in the Army, came back and stayed in Sonoma till 86, now outside Sac. I worked off and on at Maby's 76

Last edited by SGTH55; 02-04-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #50
DYNA BILL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTH55 View Post
I was a freashman in 70. My wife's family lived on Cherry Ave (still do). I lived in Shellville at that time. 73-76 was my first time in the Army, came back and stayed in Sonoma till 86, now outside Sac. I worked off and on at Maby's 76
I still have my 1970 yearbook sitting here on my desk. I bet your pic is in there.
Charlie Mabe was a great guy.
I worked at Paul Pfau's Chevron at 4 Corners 70-72.

Last edited by DYNA BILL; 02-04-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #51
SGTH55

Dyna Bill you have a pm
Old 02-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #52
Gort the giant robot

You Sonoma guys remember one of the roads that went from Sonoma over the mountain to Hy.29. There was a cave about half way up the mountain. We did alot of partying there in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Gort

Gort the giant robot.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #53
DYNA BILL
Banned

Quote:
You Sonoma guys remember one of the roads that went from Sonoma over the mountain to Hy.29. There was a cave about half way up the mountain. We did alot of partying there in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Gort
Well let's see...heading out of Sonoma going north on hwy 12 toward Santa Rosa, there was Moon Mountain Rd. Then there was Cavedale Rd. Then there was Trinity Rd. Trinity was the only one, I believe, that went all the way over to hwy 29. Came down the Oakville Grade into Oakville at Hwy 29 in the Napa Valley. Great ride on a motorcycle! At least it was in the 60's and 70's.
And yes, I've partied at that cave too! It was on Cavedale Road.

Last edited by DYNA BILL; 02-04-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #54
Gort the giant robot

Yes Cavedale was the one. I remember the Oakville grade too. Came down that one night and overheated the brakes on my 50 Studebaker Champion. I lived in Napa for about 25 years. Got my fastest Speeding ticket on Hy.29 coming back from the Vets home in Yountville. CHP clocked me at 115. The CHP officer said the only reason he did not arrest me is because it was about 6 am and the highway was empty. Use to go to the Yountville graveyard with young ladies to see the Yountville ghost. Got a ticket in St.Helena for burning off my tires with a cop behind me while showing off to a bunch of bikers that were in the courthouse parking lot.

Gort AKA Sometimes a dumbass.

Gort the giant robot.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #55
SGTH55

Never as good as the first time but the Oakville grade is still a great ride on a bike.