Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
rugerlady

Default Springtime Contest from Epoxy-Coat

Hi Guys and Gals,
Spring is in the air, time to clean out the garage and get that floor coated! We here at Epoxy-Coat want to help, We are going to give away a free kit for the funniest story again, you know the routine by now. Why do you deserve a free kit of Epoxy-Coat. As some of you may know from previous contests, I will give away 1 full kit for first place, 1/2 kit for second place, and 100.00 off any kit for third place. Some of you may also know, depending on the amount and quality of stories, I usually give away alot of extra kits!! So on with the details!!!
The story must be humorous, about why you should get a free Epoxy-Coat kit. It will start immediately and run until midnite EST April 6th. The winners will be announced by the following Tuesday. You can enter as many times as you like. If you are in another country, you can enter too (you just have to help cover the cost of shipping).
You guys have never failed to make this really fun so......lets hear some great stories.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
rugerlady

Default Re: Springtime Contest from Epoxy-Coat

Nothing yet??? I was looking forward to hearing a couple good stories this morning.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
txusa03

A chance to win products and no one jumped at it.

I, on the other hand is waiting for a contest where the sponsor will also include a professional installer to come to your place to etch, clean from start to finish.

I think everyone is brainstorming right now...
txusa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
rugerlady

Yep, that must be it... they are all compiling their stories. If your close enough or want to fly me to your area, I'll help
Old 03-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
xDavidx

If I had a sense of humor I would be all over this.
xDavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
rugerlady

She's cute and all...but you do realize females will be judging this contest. lol
Old 03-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
DRP6833

Toucar was so disappointed that he lost in the last contest that he refuses to enter this one.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
central1ny

Are we looking for garage related funny stories specifically?
central1ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
n2ocamaro

Summer 2010-A buddy and I are working on my Camaro. I am under the car on the drivers side. He is under the hood (we are installing new headers!). My buddy says he is not feeling well and turns towards the side door of the garage. He makes it to the driver side door and starts puking. Hitting me with splatter in process. I am trying to get out from under the car on the other side while he is still puking, trying to avoid splatter and puking myself. Apparently the mix of beer, mexican food and heat did not set well with him and the mix of puke and heat did not sit well on my garage floor because it stained the floor and smelled for days afterwards.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
central1ny

For a number of years, I owned an older lawn tractor that was a bear to keep running. It was a beater but I needed something to mow 1 Ĺ acres and the push mower was out of the question. The tractor had a weak battery and if the thing stalled in the middle of a job (which it did often), I would have to drive my car over to jump start the thing (I don’t own a battery charger). Well one day, the tractor stalled as usual and I couldnt get it started, so once again I had to get the car and drive it over for a jump start. I hooked up the jumper cables as normal and revved up the car engine a bit to get the juice flowing. After about 5 minutes, I decided that the battery was charged enough to try starting it. I pressed my foot on the clutch of the lawn tractor while standing next to it and it started right up. Great, I thought, so I took my foot off the clutch. Then I watched in horror as the tractor started speeding away from me and the ends of the jumper cable were ripped off. I took off running to catch and stop the tractor. I hadnt realized that I left the tractor in gear before I started it.

I deserve a free kit of epoxy-coat because I am a man of many mis-haps and my floor deserves superior protection. Plus I would be more inclined to fix up my beaters instead of applying band-aids.

Last edited by central1ny; 03-25-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #11
formanbob

Why I think I deserve a free epoxy kit?
Letís make this long story a short one.
My wife and I bought a New Build house right before the market took a crash, it had a massive basement and a big two car garage. I had two man caves. Well then all the sudden all of our neighbors started letting thereíre houses get foreclosed on, my unlocked beater truck got broken into 3 times. Fence locks tampered with cars down the street set on fire. (Donít ever buy a house in a questionable area in the winter) . So after many visits from the cops the last cop says GET OUT, I said what? He said that a house down the street when up for sheriffs sale for Ĺ its original price. So we list our house. realtor says we are going to lose tons of money and we should everyone says just let it get foreclosed upon. I was like no way. I was not one that did not know what I was getting into (well payment that is) I made this choice I need to live with it. So we finally get an offer on the house, but I would need to bring $20k to the closing. Now I was just married my wife and I wanted to start a family (not in this area now) I had saving and was well vested in my 401k. So I collected all that I had saved and bit the bullet and moved.
To add insult to injury we get a tax bill that year for $7k tanks to the 401k withdraw ---NICE

I do the right thing and pay my debt instead of foreclosed and I get a kick in the .. moving on.

And this is what I got for a man cave on my new house.

My wife and I have been working on our fix er up er for 5 years (with to kids now) and I have built most of the garage myself. Paying for everything with cash as it comes.
The roof is done just waiting for the slab to cure.

Ok so that was not as short as I thought it would be, and it is not as funny as it sounds in my head. But that is my reason I want to win.

Thanks
Jacob
formanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
hobie1dog

OOPs, sorry for the misplaced cute girl pic, I was posting several replies simultaneously.

Anyway, last year opened the door from the house to the garage and at the bottom of the steps was a King snake. Let me explain: In a previous life I was obviously killed by a snake bite on the left foot, as everytime I see one my left foot feels like it just got hooked up to 230 volts. This is from a phenomenon called "cell memory" and has been proven through thousands of Past Life Regressions used in Therapy centers. Sometimes a condition starts at a certain age in your life, say age 45 and under hypnosis, they take you back to previous lives and will find out what happened to you back when you received that injury in that part of your body. There's many fascinating books written on it lately with all the research being done.
So upon site of the snake, I go into PANIC MODE, as I always thought that a snake is the only mistake God made in the creation process. So I'm looking around for a way to get this thing out of my garage. I open the garage door thinking it is just going to leave, but no, it raised up and stuck it's tongue out at me...little bastard It goes around the perimeter of the garage and ends up in the front corner, and won't go out after much prodding with a broom handle. Now you have to get the vision of me at the front of the garage doing a little Bluegrass Jig Dance, as everytime I get near it, my foot starts buzzing and I'm shaking it in the air and stomping it back down trying to get it to stop. I finally grab a kart axle and kill it, and I ended up having snake blood all over the corner area. The stain still won't come up, so everytime I go to that corner and see the blood, my foot starts tingling again.
I need some Epoxy-Coat to cover this up and put this behind me as my neighbor was watching the fiasco from his garage and came over to ask me what in Hell was I doing in the corner the other night. I guess the cheap Rustoleum water based epoxy soaks up snake blood pretty good.

Send some snake repellant along with the epoxy too.

Thanks,

Marty

Go to www.Obsidiancaraudio.com for great subwoofers

Does a culture based on seperation and competition, of scientific sophistication and medieval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
hobie1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
rugerlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by central1ny View Post
Are we looking for garage related funny stories specifically?
It should be any story about why you deserve a free epoxy floor, if you need some ideas of what people have done in the past, search previous epoxy-coat contests.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #14
rugerlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRP6833 View Post
Toucar was so disappointed that he lost in the last contest that he refuses to enter this one.
I think another try is required!! Come on it will be fun!
Old 03-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
frankbmg

I've been procrastinating for about 3 years. Do I tile, stain, paint or nothing. Finally decided on an epoxy. I've looked at different coatings and companies. Please help me make my decision.

Frank
frankbmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
rugerlady

I figured I would come in this morning to some good stories....whats up guys??
Old 03-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #17
OldracerJones

My story starts about 30 years ago when I was a teenager and had convinced my buddy to let me use his Father's garage to change my clutch in my 1970 442 W-30. This guy was the first person I knew that had a fastidious garage; everything in it's place and a place for everything. We were forbidden to use his tools or anything in the garage but when the mouse is away...

Anyway, about 4 of us started the project one morning, his Dad wouldn't be back for two days so no problem getting it done in time. Someone found a bottle of Bacardi and mixed up some rum and cokes and we proceeded to get way to lit to be working on a car so we took a little break. About 3 hours later, my buddy received a call from his Dad that their plans fell through and he would be home in about two hours. Here I am, half baked with a clutch laying on the floor under my car ready to go in and three friends worthless at this point. I jumped under the car and started, he'll it was hard just trying to put a wrench on the bolt let alone do this correctly. I was making real good progress towards getting out of the garage by the time he got home until I picked up the old Muncie 4 speed and tried to line up the pilot bearing. I look over and 90 weight gear oil is draining out of the tail of the tranny all over this spotless garage floor. By the time I was able to get repositioned to where I could put the tranny down, half of the fluid had run out over the floor.
Holy crap! My buddy who's Dad owned it was screaming to get the clutch done so he could get it cleaned up and I'm trying to figure out how I was going to finish it at all. In the end I was able to get the clutch and tranny back in, start the car and backed it out of the garage and we started cleaning the floor. I don't know if you have ever cleaned up 90 weight gear oil but it doesn't just wipe up. My dude was hollering how his Dad was going to kill all of us, I'm wiping like mad and my other to friends run in and tell us his Dad just pulled onto the street. We threw the rags in the can and waited for his Dad to kick our you know what. He walked in, said "you guys stink" and went in the house! He never saw this big black stain in the middle of the floor. We hightailed it out of there and thanked our lucky stars. Many years later I saw him and he told me he knew what happened but felt sorry for us, covered in gear oil, just waiting to be sick from all the rum we drank and driving a car with a clutch installed in two hours by a drunk teenager. He felt I already paid the price.
Too bad he didn't have epoxy-coat floors, it would have been very easy to wipe up with no evidence of the spill at all.
OldracerJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #18
central1ny

I thought of another somewhat funny story that I thought I would share. The exterior portion of my garage was completed by the Amish last October. I decided to do all of the interior work myself, which in turn has resulted in some interesting mishaps. I had (key word Ďhadí) a Craftsman table saw that I was using in the garage a couple months ago to rip some boards and the saw motor was acting quite sluggish. I knew WD-40 usually worked at freeing up rusty bolts so I figured it might do the same for the saw. So I drenched the motor with WD-40 and it seemed to improve the motor performance a bit but not perfectly so I moved on to my next bright idea. I had used brake cleaner before on brakes and saw how clean it got the brakes so I figured it might just do the same for the motor. I did remember that the brake cleaner was highly flammable so I thought it would be a good idea to move the saw outside. With the saw outside and powered down, I drenched the motor with brake cleaner and let it sit for a few minutes. I figured 5 minutes would be plenty of time to allow the brake cleaner to evaporate. After this, I powered up the saw but it didnít seem to be any better. So I gave up and went into the garage to continue working on a project. After about 10 minutes, I thought that I smelled smoke but figured it must have been lingering from when I just started the saw. I waited a few more minutes and the smell of smoke seemed to intensify so I figured I had better check it out. When I opened my garage back door, I was overwhelmed by a 10 foot towering inferno and it was only about 10 feet from the garage. I saw my son at the house back door staring out and I ran into the garage and grabbed a long 2x4 and was able to push the blaze away from the garage. Thankfully, my new garage didnít go up in flames but the same canít be said for the table saw. R.I.P old Craftsman table saw.

So once again, I think I deserve a free kit of epoxy-coat because I am a man of many mishaps. With my floor protected with epoxy-coat, at least that should hold up to anything I can throw at it, or drench it with.

TableSaw.jpg
Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #19
Davd_Pa

I think I deserve the epoxy coat b/c I'm sick of being the painter, grounds keeper, electrician, plumber and most importantly general laborer at my house. I'd like to be able to do a project 'just for me' to enjoy. Thanks Ruger lady!!!
Dave
Davd_Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #20
rugerlady

Your Welcome!

Tags
contest, epoxy-coat, free