Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > Garage Sale > ★★ Hot Deals ★★

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Koy E

Default Free Foam sample peices

A while back I as looking for a way to organize and secure my tools so I looked around the web for foam drawer inserts. I came across this manufacture and really liked what they had to offer. Although the price points are a bit high in my opinion I decided to ask for a sample kit which they promptly shipped.

http://www.toolfoam.com/sample.asp

I was expecting to get one or two 3 inch sample sizes but instead they supplied me with a generous amount of different samples sizes and thicknesses. Enough for me to actually use. I have had these foam sample inserts in my box for a few months and are convinced of the quality and durability. I"m planing on buying some sheets by the end of the year. I thought maybe you guys could get some use out of some of these free sample pieces like I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0438.jpg (144.0 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0439.jpg (145.1 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0437.jpg (150.4 KB, 431 views)

Last edited by Koy E; 07-24-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Koy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
DOC-BA

Default Re: Free Foam sample peices

Well, I just ordered a sample, we'll see how it works out. Thanks for the heads up.
DOC-BA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
Toolhorder

Looks good I'm in.
Toolhorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
hammertime1

Awesome got a bunch of boxes I have been contemplating what to put on bottom of drawers.
hammertime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
blunn

I also ordered the samples.
blunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
PinkLinc

Request sent. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
dodge610

Ya buddy count me in sent my request in last weekend forgot to post it on here.
dodge610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
PT Doc

Proudly not a great thing to post this since samples are sent to people who have intentions of buying this product. Just saying that its not a get free stuff kind of thing.
PT Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
Aura

Or a guy may just decide to buy. I have drawer liners but, if I like these better (Sent for samples) I may get some. I do see some applications for this stuff, for some drawers anyway.
Aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
dodge610

I have 4 boxes fully intend on buying if the samples work out for my application. More places need to do this so you can see before ou buy if it is going to work for the application.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
Koy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Doc View Post
Proudly not a great thing to post this since samples are sent to people who have intentions of buying this product. Just saying that its not a get free stuff kind of thing.
Believe it or not I have come across a few venders that actually charge for sample kits (mostly for shipping/packing) that only contain a few peices of foam. I posted this thread as "Free Foam sample peices" here on this website forum because I assume they most of our members here are responsible people who wouldn't abuse Tool Foam.com' generosity and actually consider purchasing from them if they asked for the sample kit.It would actually be a bad thing to post this foam sample link on some freebies website like slickdeals.com or dealsnews.com where most people request for things they don't intent on buying.

Like I mentioned before, I will be purchasing several sheets from them around the end of the year (Bday money! ) because they were nice enough to supply samples that I could actually use and test and because their product actually holds up well under every day use .
Old 07-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
Omphaloskeptic

Hey, this was a great suggestion for samples! Not only was it refreshing to find a company that would send samples (free is best), but also, they show you how to join the layers, cut it using various methods and customize it for your application (see their FAQ section). After I get to experiment with their product, I'm sure I'll use their company to buy the materials needed in my application(s).

Thanks for the heads up!
Omphaloskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
geologist

I requested a sample because I want to see if it'll work well for a gun range box I'm working on. I'd love to have my custom tool kit fitted and shadowed. That'd be amazing.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
Jarhead0408

Just requested a sample kit.
If they are as nice as you say I'll be sending them an order. I don't think I'd like this for my larger drawers as I'm always adding a tool or shifting them around, but I could definitely use this on my smaller boxes and the little drawers that you can hang off the side of your main box.
Jarhead0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
Aura

Did anyone ever get these? I got the confirm email, Then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Nothing.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #16
Toolhorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura View Post
Did anyone ever get these? I got the confirm email, Then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Nothing.
Nothing here either. Sent an email back asking if it had been sent and no reply. Guess they don't want my business.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #17
Link-Belt

Probably what they use for samples are drops from cut orders. Maybe they have to wait to get orders to collect drops to send out as samples. Makes great business sense.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
Link-Belt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
carguy07

Got mine a few weeks ago, nice stuff.
carguy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
Richard Cranium

I ordered from home and got the email back that it would be shipped out, after about two weeks i ordered again from work this time and got the same email but have not gotten any thing. I hope they fill orders better than they do sample requests... Rich....

If you have sold me any thing or got any thing from me please post to my feed back.. Thanks Richie

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=217779
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
wellpoison

^^ i agree, i ordered mine a while ago. got the "will ship soon" on July 22. still no sign, this always happens to me haha.
wellpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #21
PinkLinc

6 weeks since my request... still nothing.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #22
gustsant

I did not get anything either, very disappointing. And no, it does not make a great business sense to leave potential customers waiting for months without any updates unless you are in the business of pissing off people.
gustsant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #23
Nch209

I requested samples quite a long time ago as I had intentions of doing many drawers in my box, and nothing! No biggie- I would rather them not ship me FREE stuff than pay and then fight to have my order shipped.

I still wanted to shadow some tools, and ended up going with a recomendation here to buy from The Foam Factory, and just trace and cut out tools by hand. Sure, its not perfection, but perfect for the weekend warrior. I but up a 4x8 sheet, and a 2x4 sheet so far, and will be ordering another sheet or two of the stuff! It works pretty well for my needs!
Nch209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #24
InsanePyro

Just requested. Asked for some black foam as well as fire resistant...
InsanePyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:57 AM   #25
NewShockerGuy

Yep I put in back in July... nothing yet... pretty lame.

-Nigel
NewShockerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:27 AM   #26
mooman

Same here. No foam since July. Honestly, I already had forgotten about it.
mooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #27
Ric in Richmond

Nothing...And I have tools waiting to be nestled in foam...and some cases that need foam.

Nothing like building a brand based on broken promises...
Ric in Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #28
uniballer

I ordered, it said to wait a week for usps. I will see?
Quote:
Originally Posted by geologist View Post
You don't mess with another man's box, truck, dog, tools, or woman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Exactly that. I will show up ranting on his doorstep and throwing cats from my grocery cart and farting in his general direction.
uniballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #29
Stuey

I received samples from them a while back.

I would guess that they saw a bombardment of requests and were overwhelmed. Might have believed the link was put up on a freebie website.

Don't bash on this company because they couldn't or didn't send out the 1,000+ sample requests resulting from this thread.

Amazon 50-70%-off Tool Deal-Finder
Stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #30
DanMasshardt

They should at least email people if they aren't going to send the samples.
DanMasshardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #31
archirelic

I too hadn't received my initial request, however, after contacting them again for another sample and filling in their little message box that I hadn't received mine the first go-around; I received my 2nd sample requested within just a couple days and an apology for the delay. Some high-quality foam indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Dumb
This guy crapped on his own plate then was upset that dinner smelled like shit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
nice toolkit.

The wrench drawer put me at half mast.

archirelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #32
Hardline4

Reordered today. I got a call about 30 minutes later. They advised that about 6 weeks ago they got a lot of "spam" . They said a couple hundred requests and they decided that if it was real people who ordered then they would order again. I think their "spam" was more than likely the result of several message boards posting this up. Anyway they said it would be here in a week.
Hardline4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #33
Nch209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline4 View Post
Reordered today. I got a call about 30 minutes later. They advised that about 6 weeks ago they got a lot of "spam" . They said a couple hundred requests and they decided that if it was real people who ordered then they would order again. I think their "spam" was more than likely the result of several message boards posting this up. Anyway they said it would be here in a week.
That's one approach (of the company), but I gave all of my personal info, and if I was a business I may have taken a few minutes to see if it was spam or not. No biggie, in fact they did me a favor---- I have already rearranged my tools, which means recutting foam or ordering new. With the foam factory, I can buy more foam for cheap, have it shipped for free, and no be upset about redoing my organization and spending a few bucks.

I am sure they do nice work and have nice products, but I am glad they did not send me anything and considered my request spam!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #34
Koy E

Quote:

Good to Hear. It makes sense that they assumed that the influx of requests might be due to spam. It wasn't my intent for this to happen guys. My apologies. If you still want the sample pack I would definitely shoot them another request and note in the comment box that your in fact a person and not some spam box Just like Hardline4 did.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #35
gustsant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koy E View Post
Good to Hear. It makes sense that they assumed that the influx of requests might be due to spam. It wasn't my intent for this to happen guys. My apologies. If you still want the sample pack I would definitely shoot them another request and note in the comment box that your in fact a person and not some spam box Just like Hardline4 did.
I certainly appreciate all the input of GJ members which help out to contribute to this great site, but people trying to justify that they got slammed with too many requests is acceptable seems crazy to me.

Either you make an offer and state that only the first 100 or 1000 requests will be fulfilled and reject anything after that or at least have the decency to send an email to people who requested samples and are waiting like an idiot for something that will never come.

Then people say that it is because they got a lot of spam, I never got any spam with address, zip code, first name, last name, company name, phone number, etc but go figure, maybe it's a new type of spam. Anyway, thanks to the op for taking the time and posting it.
gustsant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #36
wellpoison

ive been rejected by these "samples" many times. requested gorilla nuts (wire nuts made by the same company that makes gorilla glue) and never got them. i even told them i am an electrician and got nothing. i filled one out for free safety glasses as well, got nothing. it happens all the time. i guess i can understand them getting a lot more requests then they thought they would. no biggie i mean the stuff is free i can wait haha.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #37
DanMasshardt

It's probably true that the influx of requests was due to being posted on sites like this, but when you offer a sample, you should provide it. The comments above about all the specific info are right on - no way it would be spam. Maybe they figured that they were not request of people interested in their product anyway, but I think they will lose some potential customers by not coming through.
DanMasshardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #38
Hardline4

Not trying to stir anything up but to all those complaining let's not forget that these are FREE samples. And they are samples that if someone had not posted on here you more than likely would have never even known about. Cut the company some slack, they told me it costs about $5 a pop for every sample once they ship it so no I dont blame them at all. I imagine the amount of requests they received were many many times what they normally get, so yes it would be plausible for them to assume something was up. As far as this hurting their business, I don't think so. They made a mistake, as all do at some point, and they made it right with me. No hard feelings here, Im appreciative that they even offered something for nothing. Like a guy said early, its fee I can wait. To be perfectily honest, I had completely forgotten that I had even ordered the samples until this thead got bumped back up!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #39
archirelic

Quote:
Not trying to stir anything up but to all those complaining let's not forget that these are FREE samples. And they are samples that if someone had not posted on here you more than likely would have never even known about. Cut the company some slack, they told me it costs about $5 a pop for every sample once they ship it so no I dont blame them at all. I imagine the amount of requests they received were many many times what they normally get, so yes it would be plausible for them to assume something was up. As far as this hurting their business, I don't think so. They made a mistake, as all do at some point, and they made it right with me. No hard feelings here, Im appreciative that they even offered something for nothing. Like a guy said early, its fee I can wait. To be perfectily honest, I had completely forgotten that I had even ordered the samples until this thead got bumped back up!
You said this much more eloquently than I would've. Unlike some of the peeps, I didn't get my panties in a bunch, I simply contacted them again & informed them of my situation. They were more than apologetic & shipped one out immediately to me. I had already posted my experience above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Dumb
This guy crapped on his own plate then was upset that dinner smelled like shit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
nice toolkit.

The wrench drawer put me at half mast.

archirelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #40
nahudson

I have not gone mine either, it has been over a month
nahudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #41
geologist

Send these folks some business if you got your samples and liked it. Can't fault them for thinking they were getting spammed -- sending out generous samples isn't cheap by any means.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #42
Tack

They must have overnighted my foam because I got my shipment in less than 2 days.
Tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #43
FlyBy

Same here, I sent in a request last week and I received a package today.
FlyBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #44
wellpoison

just got mine! bad luck streak ends!! they are really neat! i will most likely be ordering some for the drawers that will stay that way for a while. might be a good idea to cut smaller pieces and then just line them up so if you want to change it up you dont have to redo the entire sheet.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #45
NewShockerGuy

Got mine as well today... Actually really surprized by this. Probably placing an order with them. I can see a ton of uses from the samples they sent!

-Nigel
NewShockerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #46
InsanePyro

Got mine yesterday...took 4 days days

Can anyone explain the fire retardant one to me? Stuff melts like butter as far as I can tell
Old 09-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #47
Hardline4

Got mine a few days ago as well. Very happy with the service and quickness to get it to me.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #48
Toolhorder

got mine today
Old 09-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #49
Ric in Richmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsanePyro View Post
Got mine yesterday...took 4 days days

Can anyone explain the fire retardant one to me? Stuff melts like butter as far as I can tell
Does it catch fire or just melt? I bet it is designed to not burn...

I still havent gotten mine.

And I am itching to line my tool boxes!!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #50
InsanePyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in Richmond View Post
Does it catch fire or just melt? I bet it is designed to not burn...
Went up in flames...I have no idea what temp I exposed it to (used a camp torch)...ambient heat didn't really bother it but any sort of flame did...hell just a pocket lighter flame got it to catch if I remember right
Old 09-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #51
NastyNate

Here is my dealing with them so far. Im not complaining one bit. I think anything for free deserves patients and understanding. If this was my paid order it would be something else. They will have my business.

Now that I re read my last email I came across sort of a dick. It was first thing in the morning and I didnt have my coffee.....

On july 26th

Thank you for your request of sample foam from Cascade Tool & Foam Supply. We will begin processing your request shortly, and you should have your samples in hand within 1 week. If you'd like to speak to us in the meanwhile, please call us directly at 503.640.5216 (West Coast time) or visit us on the web at www.toolfoam.com.

Sincerely,

Marilyn Hall
Cascade Tool & Foam Supply

On aug 18th

I have not received my samples yet. Just wondering if the orders are backed up or if they never shipped out. Its been close to a month and I didnt want a second order if the first was still on its way.
Thanks
Nate
My address is

On Sept 11th

I sent out a request for a few samples on or before July 26. I then Sent a email on August 18 stating I havnt received anything. It is now September 11th nearly 2 months later and I still have yet to receive anything. I just want to try this out before buying anything, I really only need 1 or 2 pieces but I dont want to spend $200 if its not going to work out.

Same day I get a response

Unfortunately we have been spammed by sample requests several times over the last couple of months. Literally hundreds at a time. Some potential purchasers were deleted from our data base. I apologize for this inconvenience and your samples will be sent out today.

Sincerely,

And I sent

No problems. I understand shit happens. Thanks for the heads up. I have heard a lot of good thing about the foam so im sure Ill be ordering some here shortly.
Thanks for the prompt reply.

EBAY LISTINGS
Linky Link for Truck accessory INFO

My sold items REVIEW

Garage clean out sale

FOR SALE #1

Wilton bullet for sale
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #52
Nch209

I know it's free, but my point is they never reached out to me to see if I was spam or not. I tried them several times to no avail. No doubt they deal with spam, but they open themselves up to it by going about it this way and do not take up possible leads (ME), and just assume all is spam. Not my business approach, but I wish them well! Foam Factory for me!!!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #53
Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nch209 View Post
I know it's free, but my point is they never reached out to me to see if I was spam or not. I tried them several times to no avail. No doubt they deal with spam, but they open themselves up to it by going about it this way and do not take up possible leads (ME), and just assume all is spam. Not my business approach, but I wish them well! Foam Factory for me!!!!!
What he said.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #54
bimmerZ5

these folks never sent anything to me... i was actually considering placing an order if they worked out for me since i'm re-organizing my tools..
bimmerZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #55
dodge610

Well gents I finally got my foam sample pieces.It took numerous e mails but they finally came thru. Shouls be putting an order in soon with them was sort of impressed with there samples.Even tho it took a while to get them.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #56
Dustin Echoes

I actually just got my samples, came in a week, as promised. now I'm a little worried about puting my order in, to have it delayed. I'm in Canada, and sometimes things get held up at the border. Any Canucks out there ordered from these guys?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #57
Melvin

I just sent them an email sent a request out for some samples three weeks ago
and waiting. I was going to order from them lets see if I get my samples first.
Melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #58
laskt9

Got mine today! Wicked fast. uploadfromtaptalk1348785019471.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2
laskt9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #59
Richard Cranium

member removed...

If you have sold me any thing or got any thing from me please post to my feed back.. Thanks Richie

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=217779
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 AM   #60
lodemia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
member removed...
That sounds painful. I hope the recovery goes well!
lodemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #61
bimmerZ5

i got my samples today ... honestly, i'm not impressed at all. nothing special nor any better than say the one that Sear's sells under the craftsman brand that I can get on sale.
bimmerZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #62
Ric in Richmond

Still nothing here.

So mark them off the list.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #63
darkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura View Post
Somebody probably sent them a link to this page...hahahahaha!