Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
brickG-man

Default Sears' response on tools made in China

While checking out some Craftsman tools online and discovering too many made in China for my liking, I decided to drop them a quick note on their comment section. Although my email to them was just a spur of the moment thought and not necessarily overly substantive, it is attached however, their response as to what led to their decision may be of interest.

Good afternoon Mr. Smith,

Thank you for contacting Sears.com.

We appreciate your loyalty to the Craftsman brand. Please understand that our decision to manufacture some of our Craftsman tools outside the United States was not made lightly. Craftsman customers demand a high quality product at a value added price point and that it be backed by our Forever warranty. In order to be able to deliver all three of these benefits, we decided to manufacture some of our Craftsman tools outside of the USA. We hope you will continue to support the Craftsman brand.
We appreciate your business and hope you will continue to make Sears Holdings your choice for quality and value. Please let us know if we can assist you further. We are here to help.

Join our Shop Max® program today and enjoy free shipping on millions of eligible items for the next 90 days! Click Here to add Shop Max® to your cart and enter the coupon code MAXCALL1 on the checkout page! View terms and conditions.

Anne B.
Sears Customer Care
webcenter@customerservice.sears.com
1-800-366-3028

Original Message Follows:

Comments: Why is Sears/Craftsman throwing away decades of reputation by having most of your mechanics tools now made in China. Craftsman was the one name that many professionals/home mechanics/handymen used to be able to count on for quality. Chinese tools are not the same quality and experienced users know the difference. Please see the error of your ways and switch back to quality US made tools before it puts the Craftsman name out of business!
Thank you
Joe Smith

Last edited by brickG-man; 01-01-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: I should have posted this under Tools.
brickG-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
zakmartin

Send a message via Yahoo to zakmartin
Default Re: Sears' response on tools made in China

Nice corporate boilerplate response. It basically says, "yada yada yada."
zakmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
383 240z

boiler plate is good US made high quality steel. Unlike most Craftsman tools. Keith
383 240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
uniballer

They make me sad, Used to believe in craftsman, now just any craftsman made before 90's. Craftsman sold out to save a buck, POS! I would rather pay little more just to see them stay in USA!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geologist View Post
You don't mess with another man's box, truck, dog, tools, or woman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Exactly that. I will show up ranting on his doorstep and throwing cats from my grocery cart and farting in his general direction.
uniballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
davesnothere

Sounds like a pretty good answer to me.
It still sucks, but it is what it is.
davesnothere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Exceller8
Alliance Member

Good thing there is plenty of used (USA) stuff still around. I picked up a Craftsman flare nut wrench set for $9 today at the Swap Meet in perfect condition.

John

My feedback thread:

"I have learned that pleasing everyone is too hard, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!" Ray-CA

"Do you ever feel like you're on the freeway and life is passing you by?" John Ure

"I ate a salad and then ran to the toilet and became a salad shooter. Not feeling good at all right now. Maybe the ceaser dressing has gone bad." silentpoet
Exceller8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
mayday0017

kinda funny Craftsman is making cheaper tools to compete with Harborfreight and harborfreight is moving out of china to india and other countrys and raising their prices.... I'm scared that craftsman just might be the new horable freight
mayday0017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
IMStuner

Is there any real proof the made in China Craftsman tools are made to a lower grade. It's not where it's made that matter on quality but the whole QC process. I rather have the tools made here in the U.S. but it's going to cost more to produce and would you guys that complain about where it's made have a problem with paying 30 to 40% more on the tools?
IMStuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
justanengineer

Location: In a house, attached to a garage, on a street, in a city, in NW Indiana...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickG-man View Post
Craftsman customers demand a high quality product at a value added price point and that it be backed by our Forever warranty. In order to be able to deliver all three of these benefits, we decided to manufacture some of our Craftsman tools outside of the USA.
IOW - Most customers DEMAND SO quality, HF pricing, and to be protected from their own abuse and stupidity for decades...sounds like many of those I deal with.

Realistically I think Cman was trying to fit a niche somewhere between HF and SO w/the USA made tools and it just got too expensive for them. I would say their customer base is mostly the HF "cheap is good" mentality, so they needed to offshore, lower their costs, and compette head to head w/HF.
"I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

WANTED: Super Clean or NOS Peterson Vise-Grips.
Please look here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...28#post3699228
justanengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
skiingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMStuner View Post
Is there any real proof the made in China Craftsman tools are made to a lower grade. It's not where it's made that matter on quality but the whole QC process. I rather have the tools made here in the U.S. but it's going to cost more to produce and would you guys that complain about where it's made have a problem with paying 30 to 40% more on the tools?
There is a big enough diff in the wrenches that it would be obvious to someone who knows very little about tools that the Chinese lobster claws are inferior. No qc analyst needed.
skiingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
CWP1616L
Banned

Quote:
Craftsman customers demand a high quality product at a value added price point and that it be backed by our Forever warranty. In order to be able to deliver all three of these benefits, we decided to manufacture some of our Craftsman tools outside of the USA.
And for some unknown reason, Danaher Tool Group is not able to provide Sears with that service anymore.
CWP1616L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
woody 73

You must keep in mind that we on the GJ are but just a small speck of dust about keeping the made in the USA in the USA.

Lets take the street I live on I have several neighbors that are my age and a few younger and a few older, I can assure you that they (including my wife) could not give a monkeys about where the tool is made as long as it is cheap and they have some kind of replacement warranty. Trust me on this one, because I have talked to all my neighbors and I have seen some of their working tools.

What I find sad is that our labor force is out of work and the new labor force in China gets paid so little and we pay such a high price for the new chinese tool in question.
woody 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
thesilverone

Send a message via AIM to thesilverone

they (craftsman) don't care

My Feedback Thread: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=155808
Quote:
Can't see spending $11,000 for a box that does the same damn thing as a box that's just as big and does the same exact thing as one for $1,000....

What y'all think?

(.)(.) KAOTIK Motorsports (.)(.)
thesilverone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
IMStuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingman View Post
There is a big enough diff in the wrenches that it would be obvious to someone who knows very little about tools that the Chinese lobster claws are inferior. No qc analyst needed.
All of the Craftsman tools I own are made in the U.S. Most of them are 10 years old and counting. I'll have to go to sears and pick up a Chinese made ones and compare. I been to HF a few times and never got anything there. I think some of the member's just expect to much from HF and Sears for the price you pay. Everything is more expensive now and the target consumer for sears has changed too.

Last edited by IMStuner; 01-02-2013 at 02:30 PM.
IMStuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
woody 73

And What I find even sadder is that when we ship all that product into the United States we are bringing in all those invasive insects that have no enemies and they are killing our trees at a terrific rate; don't even get me started on all the ash tree death in Ohio.

sorry end of rant...
woody 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
mooseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilverone View Post
they (craftsman) don't care
I would say we don't care. If they could make enough money to keep the shareholders happy, and the majority of consumers would support it, they would still be made here.

We have no one to blame but ourselves.
mooseracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #17
Cobra4B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseracing View Post
I would say we don't care. If they could make enough money to keep the shareholders happy, and the majority of consumers would support it, they would still be made here.

We have no one to blame but ourselves.
Exactly... Sears exists to make a return on investment. No return = investors invest their capital elsewhere.

I don't like seeing Craftsman, a quality brand I grew up with, being made in China, but it's that or nothing. Personally I own older C-man stuff and avoid buying new if I can. I buy most of my stuff 2nd hand or have inherited it from my grandfather.
LS1 Panoz Restoration
My 20x20
Cobra4B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
b1ghwx

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody 73 View Post
...I can assure you that they (including my wife) could not give a monkeys about where the tool is made as long as it is cheap and they have some kind of replacement warranty. Trust me on this one, because I have talked to all my neighbors and I have seen some of their working tools.

What I find sad is that our labor force is out of work and the new labor force in China gets paid so little and we pay such a high price for the new chinese tool in question.
Frankly I don't care where its made but I would prefer USA made.

All who talk about 'labor costs' are being naive. This is bigger than labor costs - as in salary. Companies move production over seas for more reasons than wages. The move because of GOVT REGULATIONS, Unions, EPA etc. The actual wages paid don't really move the needle as much as you might imagine.

As soon as we create an attractive business climate here - jobs will flood back. Companies are in business to make money - not employ people. We have to financially compete - eliminate corporate taxes and drastically overhaul regulations.

Try to create a small foundry today, to forge tools.... go ahead, try
b1ghwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #19
marlinspike

I was never really impressed with the USA Craftsman tools either. Their screwdrivers are still made in USA, and are still crap.

That said, at the price they're charging, with the lifetime warranty thing (which, as we see on this forum leads to people bringing in 30 year old ratchets to exchange), how could they turn a profit if they didn't outsource to China?
marlinspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #20
kc-steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickG-man View Post
I hate buzz words, but Anne B. and her cohorts have decided that Craftsman consumers will only pay a specific price for what Craftsman offers. Their costs continue to rise so to continue being profitable they decided to manufacture the tools overseas at lower costs.

So yes, they are blaming the consumer for demanding low prices. I rarely buy any at full retail prices and they see that for many of us I suppose. Too bad they aren't analyzing purchases of the overseas made tools compared to USA-made tools. I'm sure that would tell the tale. It's time to vote with your wallet and just stop buying Craftsman period.

Steve

Feedback
kc-steve is offline   Reply With Quote