Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
AbitNutz

Default Wheeler Dealer, Edd China Hand tools?

Ok, I have been afflicted with a love of British cars just about forever. I currently have a Honda VTEC powered Mini and a Lotus Elan Plus 2 (god I wish it had a Honda engine in it too!).

I watch Wheeler Dealers and while I have my own judgement on the quality of repairs performed...I can't quite catch what brand of hand tools Edd China uses. I run it back and forth on my DVR, freeze it, slow motion...but I can never quite catch what the sockets read as they spin. All I can say for sure is that they are satin finished and not highly polished chrome. Anyone have better tool recognition skills than I?
AbitNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
mmack66

Default Re: Wheeler Dealer, Edd China Hand tools?

Teng Tools.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
AbitNutz

Teng? Huh...who'd a thunk it. I kept expecting some unknown English tool house.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
skiingman

Thanks for asking this. I was wondering too, and had gone to the effort of pausing the DVR but was unable to catch a solid glimpse of a brand.

I was intrigued by how the larger sockets neck up from the drive end. Are there other brands that do this? I just like the look of it and the satin finish, though I suspect neither are common for various reasons.
skiingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
LG63

Anybody remember the episode where Edd does some bodywork on a red Ferrari? I didn’t DVR it so I’m going from memory but he had a really slick grounding arrangement for his MIG. As I remember it was a small threaded pin that he welded directly to the body panel and then attached a larger sleeve that became a post he could ground to. Bodywork isn’t my thing so maybe it’s a common tool but I wasn’t able to find anything close with a casual search. Can somebody offer a few keywords so Google and I can find one?
LG63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Rico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG63 View Post
Anybody remember the episode where Edd does some bodywork on a red Ferrari? I didnít DVR it so Iím going from memory but he had a really slick grounding arrangement for his MIG. As I remember it was a small threaded pin that he welded directly to the body panel and then attached a larger sleeve that became a post he could ground to. Bodywork isnít my thing so maybe itís a common tool but I wasnít able to find anything close with a casual search. Can somebody offer a few keywords so Google and I can find one?
I believe that comes with the flatliner body repair system that he used for the Ferrari.

Teng tools are quite popular in England, they are solid and strong and the price is about right.
However, I really don't like them that much. They are not a nice smooth satin finish, they are
a decidedly horrible rough MATT finish, and the sockets and ratchets just look and feel a bit
clunky..... Some people like them, I am definitely not one of them.

The only Teng tools I have are some screwdrivers and vice grips and they are good
quality and a good price. If you like that disgusting matt nasty finish they are a very
good choice, strong and dependable.
Rico. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
Rico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingman View Post
I was intrigued by how the larger sockets neck up from the drive end. Are there other brands that do this?
Pretty much all the European Brands of sockets are made like this. Facom, Hazet, Beta,
Stahlwille. It keeps the weight down and can sometimes allow you to get into a tighter
spot when a socket that is the same diameter at the top as it is on the drive end can
sometimes hit an obstruction.
Rico. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
skiingman

Cool. I guess I have a new set of sockets to lust after then.
skiingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
wafrederick

Watched Edd do something that is dangerous once.wearing a pair of gloves grabbing the fan of a car while the car is running.I wonder why there is caution fan on most older car shrouds.I have an uncle that is British,taught me a wrench is called a spanner.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
michel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG63 View Post
Anybody remember the episode where Edd does some bodywork on a red Ferrari? I didnít DVR it so Iím going from memory but he had a really slick grounding arrangement for his MIG. As I remember it was a small threaded pin that he welded directly to the body panel and then attached a larger sleeve that became a post he could ground to. Bodywork isnít my thing so maybe itís a common tool but I wasnít able to find anything close with a casual search. Can somebody offer a few keywords so Google and I can find one?
Flatliner dent removal system,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azJKG4VNt3o
michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
timmy.com

Teng tools are horrible from my own personal experience. Cheap and nasty if you ask me.
timmy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
AbitNutz

I'm not a fan of tools that aren't high polished. They're more difficult to clean. I have a two stainless steel black powder revolvers. One is polished like a mirror. I clean it in the dishwasher. The other is the same except for barrel length and satin finish. It is a real chore to clean. Grit loves that satin finished. I like just wiping my tools down without having to take them to task in the parts washer.

The biggest gripe I have about the way Edd repairs things is that he only seems to fix what absolutely needs to be done. I know the idea is to sell the car on and make a profit but sometimes I see him bypassing oil soaked or rusty bits that I wouldn't have been able to leave alone.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

I just want the Teng decal (those large eyes looking at you from the pull down lid of the tool chest).

We don't have Teng here but, they resemble some Toptul items. Whatever the finish, they appear to be sturdy and not fine jewerly. They look like they're meant to be used and abused rather than polished. However, I find myself watching old episodes of wheeler dealers now online. thanks for another way to waste more time
Old 02-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #14
kythri

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel View Post
Flatliner dent removal system,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azJKG4VNt3o
Alright, that's pretty amazing.

I've got a couple of minor dings about that size on my Explorer, and I had pretty much resigned myself to living with them, because I figured the body/paint work would be far more expensive than it was really worth.

Where does one get one of those kits in the US?

Additionally, can someone explain what he was doing with the mallet? What was he tapping out?
kythri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #15
cbogg

The flatliner kit was recently mentioned in a thread here. Apparently they're only marketed toward body shops, the entire setup runs like 12k iirc. A stud gun slide hammer and a tub of filler would be less than 5% of that.
cbogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #16
kythri

Hrmm...

The Flatliner system looks far different than that little slide-hammer and glue job in the video...
kythri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:28 AM   #17
Freeborn John

Talking of products used on Wheeler Dealers, the latest series just started in the UK and during the ad break Ed China featured in a commercial for the Terraclean carbon removal system which appeared in the previous series, the one which meters two different grades of 'super refined fuel' through the running engine to clean it out.
In the UK you rarely get people hard selling stuff in the middle of their TV shows, it's either really good stuff or Ed needs the dosh...
Freeborn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #18
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeborn John View Post
In the UK you rarely get people hard selling stuff in the middle of their TV shows, it's either really good stuff or Ed needs the dosh...
Hopefully, they won't start doing what they do in the states, which is to take a product and build a show around it, and you're left with what amounts to an infomercial. The wheeler dealer show is pretty good compare to similiar shows here in the states. Although I'm not sure how much money they actually clear after figuring in labor costs, still great entertainment with unique cars.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #19
dirtydogintex

Quote:
Here it's difficult to squeeze the TV show in among all the commercials!!
dirtydogintex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
AbitNutz

Ya know it's bad when you "must" DVR a movie to be able to watch it. Otherwise it is so broken up you forget what's going on. It's not uncommon to see 90 minute movies with 3 plus hour run times on Direct TV channels.

I mean Edd China spells his name with two d's...jsut to make it longer?