Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
DrBaker

Default home plans with attached RV garage

Does anyone have any links to sample home plans with attached RV garages?

I'm wanting to build a new home of approx 2800sqft plus an attached 3 car garage. I was planning on building a detached garage to hold a 13ft tall and 30+ft long RV.

I'm still very early in the planning stages and want to see what options I can find for including the RV garage as an attached rather than detached garage. I've only seen 2-3 of these in my city (while driving by), but have no idea what their floorplans look like.

Last edited by DrBaker; 02-24-2013 at 04:07 PM.
DrBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
kwb

Default Re: home plans with attached RV garage

If you are building a custom home then incorporating a RV bay is not a big challenge. If you are taking a builders stock layout and plopping on a 12x40x13 cube it will look just like that is what you did.

I am not a fan of looking at big garage doors right at the street side - further back not a big deal. If you are trying to keep curb side appearance nice - look for designs that have garage on side of house and then put the RV bay off the back side of house. The trick with this is having a lot that is wide enough to leave room to swing a RV around a corner and in the door.

Your lot will play a huge part in what you do. If you have a flat piece of dirt then a walkout basement plan is not going to go well, if you have a big slope down to the street and want to walk out the back door onto a raised deck then a rambler is going to take a lot of foundation to stand up on.
kwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Architorture

i have a similar setup at my house...

there is a "2 car" garage on the front, then it drops down around the back to create a high bay...sloping site allows for this. the house is actually modular with a stick built garage attached.

Last edited by Architorture; 02-24-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Architorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
CNGsaves

Likely you'll have to start with Local City Codes as to what's allowed for RV parking, along with building heights / square footage.

In my city, any RV can't be any closer to curb than edge of house (thus must be either behind house with privacy fence, or in driveway deep enough in lot to be even with house) ; plus there is square foot limit of garage space.

Have a HOA (Home Owner's Association) and your options might even be less.
CNGsaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
DrBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
If you are building a custom home then incorporating a RV bay is not a big challenge. If you are taking a builders stock layout and plopping on a 12x40x13 cube it will look just like that is what you did.

I am not a fan of looking at big garage doors right at the street side - further back not a big deal. If you are trying to keep curb side appearance nice - look for designs that have garage on side of house and then put the RV bay off the back side of house. The trick with this is having a lot that is wide enough to leave room to swing a RV around a corner and in the door.

Your lot will play a huge part in what you do. If you have a flat piece of dirt then a walkout basement plan is not going to go well, if you have a big slope down to the street and want to walk out the back door onto a raised deck then a rambler is going to take a lot of foundation to stand up on.
I'm not interested in having any of the garage doors visible from the front. Curb appeal is very important to me. I will likely have a custom set of plans made, but thought there may be some samples to checkout for ideas.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
the_saint

Your lot will dictate what your options are but as mentioned previously it would be nice if the garage door did not have to face the street.
the_saint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
DrBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architorture View Post
i have a similar setup at my house...

there is a "2 car" garage on the front, then it drops down around the back to create a high bay...sloping site allows for this. the house is actually modular with a stick built garage attached.
Any front pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGsaves View Post
Likely you'll have to start with Local City Codes as to what's allowed for RV parking, along with building heights / square footage.

In my city, any RV can't be any closer to curb than edge of house (thus must be either behind house with privacy fence, or in driveway deep enough in lot to be even with house) ; plus there is square foot limit of garage space.

Have a HOA (Home Owner's Association) and your options might even be less.
Looking at a couple of lots that are 1.5 acres or more without an HOA. Having seen 3 other homes in town with an RV bay, I think I will be able to do it without too many issues with city codes.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
the_saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBaker View Post
I'm not interested in having any of the garage doors visible from the front. Curb appeal is very important to me. I will likely have a custom set of plans made, but thought there may be some samples to checkout for ideas.
If you are going custom then you should not have a problem.

The hardest part for me to understand when building my custom home was believing that I could do whatever I want as I was hung up on the cost. I made some compromises that in retrospect I would not do again (if I ever build a house from scratch again).

75% through the project I realize that cost is important but would not have prevented me from doing whatever I wanted within reason.

My recommendation is get a budget, and then get a designer involved to work with the drafts person / architect and tell them to stick to the budget!

Realizing that pretty much anything can be built from scratch allows you to be much more creative and practical. My mistake was being stuck on the 'traditional limits' of building based on previous plans I had seen.

THINK BIG AND THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
Albiemanmike

I recently bought a book of garage plans at the Borg and it has some nice plans for RV garages. I could scan some of them and email to you if you like.
Albiemanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
Architorture

not the best picture but you can see there are 2 garage doors on the left...essentially you can fit 3 or 4 cars up on that level then it drops down about 10' to the high bay level in the back

Last edited by Architorture; 02-24-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
Albiemanmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBaker View Post
That would be great. Are these homes with an RV garage or garages with an RV bay?
Garages with RV bays attached the book is about building your own garages and you can order plans for all of the pictures/designs in the book.
Albiemanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #12
the_saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architorture View Post

not the best picture but you can see there are 2 garage doors on the left...essentially you can fit 3 or 4 cars up on that level then it drops down about 10' to the high bay level in the back
Very nice.

Not having the garage face the street/curb sure helps the appearance of the house.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #13
Architorture

the house is also a 1/4 mile from the road so it isn't too much of a concern...but when approaching the house you see no doors