Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
2CRUZ

Default How to attatch a ledger board.

Hey Fellas
I need some carpenter advice. I want to build a roof over my deck using that poloy carb corrugated sheets. My problem is highth. I need to come off the facia on the house with a ledger board to put the joyce hangers for the deck roof. I know the facia won't hold that much weight so I need to attatch the ledger board to the rafter tails on the house. Can someone tell me how to go about doing this? Thanks for any help guys.

Mike
2CRUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #2
where2

Default Re: How to attatch a ledger board.

Go to the hardware store, pickup some 1/4" galvanized angle steel. Drop your soffit, mount segments of the angle steel to the trusses with bolts and fender washers. Do this at least every three feet. Now you have something sturdy behind the fascia. Bolt the ledger board to the fascia through the new angle steel and use a drip edge flashing above the ledger, or put a serious bevel on the top of the ledger so that the ledger does not collect water and rot, or hold water to your fascia and rot out the ends of your trusses. Caulk the top of the joint where the ledger and the fascia meet (leave the bottom open, in case water does get in). You want to keep water out of that crack, even if you install flashing above it. Caulk the bolts going through the ledger and fascia to keep water from running back those and rotting things out. I'd try to use carriage bolts (3/8" or larger diameter), and make square holes in my angle steel to hold the carriage heads.

I can't tell you how many episodes of "This Old House" I have watched where a house had some form of ledger mounted against a sill or a fascia without caulking to keep the moisture out of the seam, and without proper flashing. You MUST keep the water moving away from the wood... Paint is not enough...

Last edited by where2; 04-20-2013 at 02:26 AM.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
fury9

Is the new pitch of the roof going to match the old pitch of the old roof?This is what I would do, cut your rafter tails back 1 1/2" back from the outside of your top plate, wait we need more info, what size rafters are on the existing house? What size ledger board are you wanting to use?Measuring straight up from the outside of top plate how tall is the rafter at this point, this is also called the "stand".Level a line straight up from the outside of your top plate and measure the height of your rafter at this point. Sorry if this is a little confusing. A pic would help.

Last edited by fury9; 04-20-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added "tall"
fury9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fury9 View Post
Is the new pitch of the roof going to match the old pitch of the old roof?This is what I would do, cut your rafter tails back 1 1/2" back from the outside of your top plate, wait we need more info, what size rafters are on the existing house? What size ledger board are you wanting to use?Measuring straight up from the outside of top plate how is the rafter at this point, this is also called the "stand".Level a line straight up from the outside of your top plate and measure the height of your rafter at this point. Sorry if this is a little confusing. A pic would help.
I think what Fury is talking about is basically a reverse birds mouth. Please correct me if I'm wrong on what you're meaning.

This is what I would do and you won't need a ledger board. You will need to have some type of flashing to get the rain water to run from the shingles to the poly corrugated roof panels. They may be taller than the existing roof you currently have.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Neighbor

What you're asking about doing is this.

short answer is don't.
http://activerain.com/blogsview/967549/moose-drool-

I'd suggest running the roof rafters over house walls sisterd to the house rafters.
Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
grumpygator

Not to be picky but,
Start with a picture
Add a location {Your state will do }
How far is the span ?
That will make it easy to give you the right answer.
********Just Saying*************Gator************
grumpygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
2CRUZ

Fellas thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I have tried to post picture on here but they just won't post for some reason.
Where2 That is kind of the way I was thinking about doing it, I guess I just needed the confidence to try it. NEIGHBOR that is the way I want to add the roof over my deck but the roof I want to put up won't be near that heavy. Mine will be coverd with those fiberglass panels just for shade in the summer. I live in Southern Illinois and in the last 10 years we haven't had hardly any snow at all so we are due for a ruff winter. The roof will be 16'x20'. I'm going to use 2x6 and 4x4 posts, three in the front. I think it will be strong enough. I just needed to be sure I could attatch it to the facia and rafter tails.
Thanks guys for the advice.

Mike
Old 04-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
kwb

Put the ledger board onto the house. It will require a Lag into framing of house otherwise your connection can pull out from house. Do not attach directly to end of rafter/truss tails. You can sister next to them and land in the joist hanger on ledger board
kwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
bczygan

You can connect there, but based on the span of the roof, your location, and the size of the members needed, it is not the best solution.

You cannot discount the snow loads for your area, just based on your observations of the last few years.

Your first task is to see what building restrictions you have based on your zoning. A deck may be allowed, but not a roofed structure. You may need permits. What are the support requirements of the roofing material? What is the spacing of the joists and posts? Why don't you make it self supporting with posts at the existing roof line? What will be the slope of the new roof? Lots of questions.
bczygan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
kwb

Look around - how many places do you see framing members butt spliced without a vertical load bearing wall below the splice. Trusses do not count - those members are loaded differently than normal framing members.

Tie it into the side of the house.
kwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
2CRUZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
Look around - how many places do you see framing members butt spliced without a vertical load bearing wall below the splice. Trusses do not count - those members are loaded differently than normal framing members.

Tie it into the side of the house.
I wanted to but I need more highth and I don't want to come off the roof. I talked to a charpenter friend the other day he said it would be ok to use lag screws and go right thru the facia and into the rafter ends. He says he has done it many times before. He is coming over tonight and I'm going to double check with him to make sure we are on the same page on this.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
cburnscrx

Quote:
Put the ledger board onto the house. It will require a Lag into framing of house otherwise your connection can pull out from house. Do not attach directly to end of rafter/truss tails. You can sister next to them and land in the joist hanger on ledger board
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CRUZ View Post
I wanted to but I need more highth and I don't want to come off the roof. I talked to a charpenter friend the other day he said it would be ok to use lag screws and go right thru the facia and into the rafter ends. He says he has done it many times before. He is coming over tonight and I'm going to double check with him to make sure we are on the same page on this.
Gotta agree with KWB...this is a bad idea. Do not attach directly to the end of rafter/truss tails. You're just asking for long term trouble.

"...The richest 1% of Americans own more than 35% of the country’s wealth, while the bottom 50% control just 2.5%.". I guess it's better to be rich than poor...who knew?

Who decides what's reasonable?

"Truth is, I make car parts for the American working man because I'm a hell of a salesman and he doesn't know any better" Ray Zalinski - Tommy Boy
cburnscrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #13
CTyankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CRUZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburnscrx View Post
Gotta agree with KWB...this is a bad idea. Do not attach directly to the end of rafter/truss tails. You're just asking for long term trouble.
X 3..I've seen lots of things done many times before too..doesn't necessarily make it right.
CTyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
fury9

Quote:
You can't lag if you're not going into the box! Obviously this is a second story deck! So the roof will be coming off the top plate of the second story Go ahead and cram in 5/8" lags into your 2x material and see how that works out for ya
Old 04-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #15
fury9

To the OP, are you going to use ceiling joists?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #16
nutjob

This might be what you are looking for:

Found here:

http://www.skylifthardware.com/

Kevin
nutjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #17
Big Bad Dad

Thumbs down Re: How to attatch a ledger board.

I saw one built like this collapse once. DO NOT attach to rafter tails or fascia!! Especially in snow country. It ain't going to pass building inspection if you do it legally anyway.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
fury9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutjob View Post
This might be what you are looking for:

Found here:

http://www.skylifthardware.com/

Kevin
looks like they have tripled the header up and stuccoed right over it, wrong
Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
fury9

HA! they even illustrate the brackets bearing in between two 2'4 wall studs
Old 04-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
IHI
Banned

I briefly looked through some old job pictures trying to find the framing details on this paticular job we did. Customer had a large deck on the south side of the house and never was able to use it due to extreme sun/heat during the summer and wanted a shadey spot. Unfortunately budget wise they could'nt swing my inital proposal of doing a roof style tied into existing to match/blend into the house to make it look seamless, after a budget was determined this was what we came up with...they got their shade, but obviously I was'nt happy about overall look since it looks added on and i find that disgusting, I strive for integrated.

Anyhow, you dont have a choice but to consider snow load...not just because your inspectors will make you do it or make you tear it down if you under build it, but mainly for yourself and family preservation...all it takes is one good snow season and down she comes. you CANNOT tie into rafter tails, lets put that out there right now. you have no choice but to tie directly into the home framing itself so there is strength involved, tails are not upto task to support one side of a rood, esspecially one the width your describing, that is suicide and a huge waste of time/money/effort as it wont pass code and be dangerious.

the build below was a 16'x46' deal. Since we could'nt tie into existing roof, but still needed pitch to allow rain/snow to fall off, we measured down below the existing soffit to allow for roof deck thickness, ice guard, steel roof ribs and a cushion space of an inch. We lagged the ledger board into the side of the house with 1/2"x6" lags 16" o.c. into studs 2 in each stud all the way across 46'. Since we're in the midwest we have to follow span guides BASED ON snow loads. to keep what headroom we could at the end of the deck going to back yard the most we could use were 2x8 rafters, and to span that far with the snow load framing of the 2x8's was done 12" o.c. to meet IIRC and local code. Roof was decked with 1/2" OSB, we then covered the entire roof with ice guard and laid down raised rib steel panels. They did'nt want to use a membrane and pitch is too low for shingles, so the color we ordered matched their trim color, but you can barely even see any of the roof due to hte low slope.

We placed 6x6 posts roughly 10' oc (we were allowed to span 16') to allow for as much open viewing of backyard as possible giving the framing and spans we had to contend with, we nothced in 11 1/4" LVL's doubled up all the way across the front nailed off on a 5 nail pattern stacked 16"oc both sides. then just built up the exterior side with multiple 1x6's, 1x4's to given the large flat panel some depth and break it up a bit before putting the gutters on

I apologize if these pics are huge, i just took them off my photobucket and dont know if i resized them...but essentially it sounds much like what your planning to do, and I just dont want to see you halfazz it like you were initally thinking only to have the city come by and make you tear it all down and red tag your home until it's torn down due to the impending danger of wanting to tie into rafter tails.

IHI is offline   Reply With Quote