Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > Fabrication & Techniques

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
IONH

Default Replace ancient MIG welder gun or buy a new welder

So I have an ancient Solar 2-175 welder which runs 220V electric and is around 180 amp. It is has a broken air line. I can replace it for between $150 and $200. I have never proven this welder has done more than run a wire and spark, so it's electronics are truly unknown to me.

I was poking around on Northern Tool's site and ran across this welder.Northern Industrial Welders Hybrid MIG/Stick 200 230V Multiprocess MIG/Flux Core/DC Stick Welder with Included 10-Ft. Spoolgun 140 DC Stick/200 Amp MIG Output for just $699 plus shipping. I like that it can do stick welding and has an optional Tig torch. I've never done stick or tig welding but I have had some ideas of doing some aluminum so that's a consideration.

What do you guys think. Sell my current Solar welder for a couple hundred saying it needs a new gun and that I've never used it or save a few bucks and replace the gun.
IONH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Metalcat

Default Re: Replace ancient MIG welder gun or buy a new welder

Isn't there any way you can replace/bypass the shielding gas line in your gun?
Seems ashame to throw out the whole gun just because of one little plastic line.

Have you tried using the machine with flux core wire? You won't need shielding gas with it and at least you'll be able to see if the machine works. If the machine is set to use shielding gas you will of course have to reverse the polarity to the gun.

By the way the machine you linked to is not capable of aluminum tig, you will need a machine capable of AC tig operation if you intend to use it for aluminum.

Last edited by Metalcat; 08-19-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Metalcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
kingston

Show me pic of the gun. I need good pics of both ends. I might have one for you... Also did Solar make the welder or is it a Century?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
IONH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcat View Post
Isn't there any way you can replace/bypass the shielding gas line in your gun?
Seems ashame to throw out the whole gun just because of one little plastic line.

Have you tried using the machine with flux core wire? You won't need shielding gas with it and at least you'll be able to see if the machine works. If the machine is set to use shielding gas you will of course have to reverse the polarity to the gun.

By the way the machine you linked to is not capable of aluminum tig, you will need a machine capable of AC tig operation if you intend to use it for aluminum.
It has a mini spool gun which they say is what should be used for aluminum welding. Handful of questions in the Q&A section about that. Aluminum would be on the rare occasion.

Seeing as the current welder is Mig/Flux cored only, any aluminum is better than no aluminum plus it can do Stick welding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
Show me pic of the gun. I need good pics of both ends. I might have one for you... Also did Solar make the welder or is it a Century?
Here's a link to another thread where I posted about this gas line problem. The hose pulled out of the welder end of the gun. I tried to ghetto fix with some heat shrink and then duct tape to keep the shrink from pulling off, but it still leaked too much to be worth while.

Seeing as the gun line goes in the middle of the gas hose, I don't see how I could bypass it. I'm open to suggestions though.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
IONH

The welding supply house just called me and said the price is $134 for the replacement 12ft gun and he can have it in 48 hours.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Metalcat

Sorry about the confusion about the other welder, I thought you wanted to be able to tig weld aluminum. Big dope slap to the forehead.

Glad you found a dealer that is on the ball and knows his stuff (other thread), guys like that are well worth patronizing in the future.

About the only suggestion I have that I don't believe was mentioned in your other thread is to try and run the shielding gas line externally. Get some real good tape and perhaps a sheath (hydraulic hose shielding comes to mind) to protect it. It may not be pretty but it will at least be functional.

But before you get carried away with any repair or replacement, try running a small roll of flux core wire through the machine first to see if it works. No sense beating what could be a dead horse. Small investment and you can always use the spool later.
Metalcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
IONH

Okay, I put some flux cored in and tried some welding. Here is the post I made in the other thread with a picture.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...5&postcount=24

It seemed to work just fine.