Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
JaysinSpaceman

Default My fabrication shop. YEAH!

Well I have lurked on this site for a while but I thought that I would finally share some pictures of the shop I have been building. It has been entirely built by my wife, father and myself and one hard week of work from my father in-law, sister in-law and her husband.

It is 24' X 36' which is not as big as I would like but it was what I could afford and what I could fit in this spot. It has a clerestory to let light in and vent hot air (my mother's Idea). And the center post will eventually have a crane hanging from it, and before people ask it was engineered for it (but the building dept. doesn't know so don't tell, shhhh!). The little windows in the wall will get some old stained glass windows that were removed from buildings that were torn down (mostly for aesthetics but also a little more light). We've gotten this far in about 4 months and we will be starting the roofing and wiring this weekend.
JaysinSpaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
tdkkart

Default Re: My fabrication shop. YEAH!

Other than the apparent miscalculations on the roof angles it looks pretty good.
24 x36 is a nice size for a single stall fab room. Big enough to have space, small enough not to collect a bunch of crap.

Next time have the same guy do both sides of the roof............
tdkkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
TejasBimmer

Looks great to me...not the typical garage style...the use of the long over hangs will help keep the heat down on the South wall.
Go you have a layout of the interior and what you have planned?

2000-2.8L Z3 Roadster (mod'd 1st) ~ 2001 Toyota Tacoma DC 4WD Limited TRD (mod'd 2nd) ~ 2012-MINI Countryman ALL4 (NO Mods!)
BMW CCA Tejas Chapter & iZ3 Project Coordinator for the San Antonio area
TTORA and TLCA off-road wheeling member
Z3POWER.net
Member Since March 1, 2008
TejasBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
Bib Overalls

I like it! The clerestory is a nice feature. Good natural lite without the security risks of conventional wall windows. Your Mom is a sharp cookie!

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratpoison/

When I am dead and gone a new owner will walk into my 99% completed dream shop and say "this place has potential."
Bib Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
JohnK007

How about some interior shots when you can find the time? I'm really interested in how you framed that roof. The more I look at it the better i like it!
JohnK007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #6
Bevis

Looks like it's coming together...Like the roof too.
Bevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:21 AM   #7
JaysinSpaceman

I'll get some interior shots tomorrow. We worked on the electrical and roof stuff all weekend. The roof was a bit of a chore, I did all the design work myself and when I went to the building dept. they made me get it engineered as it was larger then standard dimensional lumber (ie. 5 1/8" x 16 1/2" gluelam). Luckily I have an engineer friend and he did all the calculations for me, on the cheap. In the long run it will be all worth it as it lets in a huge amount of natural light and I will be building transom windows for the clerestory that will give me great ventilation. Thanx for the positive feedback, it has been a lot of work for us and it's nice to get others' input.

Jaysin
Old 09-02-2008, 07:45 AM   #8
Jpfreak33

Send a message via AIM to Jpfreak33

I LOVE IT!!! I made my shed in that style and I love it. Wish I had the space to build something that big. I will someday once I get out of a subdivision.
Jpfreak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #9
JaysinSpaceman

So I said that I would get you some interior shots and some shots of the roof framing. Here they are.

And here is a bit more detail of the clerestory framing.

You can see that the rear 2x12 goes over the ridge beam and the front 2x12 butts into the side of the ridge beam.The upper clerestory part is effectively just an overhang of the rear roof at the top of the peak.

In the first and third picture you can also see the steel blocking that I made above the ridge beam. I didn't want solid wood blocking as it would stop the light from coming in over the ridge beam from the clerestory opening and I wanted all of the natural light that I could get.

Hope you like it.
Jaysin
Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
JohnK007

"clerestory". I learned a new word today, thanks!! Great idea with the steel blocking Jaysin. It's obvious you did some thinking and done your homework. Nice job!
JohnK007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
JCByrd24

That thing is stout...great looking non-traditional shop space.
JCByrd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:57 AM   #12
JaysinSpaceman

JohnK007~ Thanx, I put a lot of time into the design part. I drew all the plans myself on AutoCAD and then had a engineer friend do the calcs for it. To tell the truth though, the steel open blocking was something I came up with after it was framed and had to go back to my engineer to make sure they would. He saw no problem with them as they are ten times stronger then wood that they replaced.

JCByrd24~ It's stout mostly because of the 40lb snow load rating that the roof has to have. I dig non-traditional work spaces, lots of natural light and good open ceilings (something that trad. work spaces are often lacking). If you are going to be in your work space 8-12 hours a day then it needs to be a place that you LIKE to be.

Well, I finished running all the conduit today and we will wire it this weekend, then I just have to finish dealing with the Power Co., I think that they are going to give me a second drop with it's own meter as the house power supply just wont cut it. Thanx for the good responses.

Jaysin
Old 09-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #13
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

Very nice space - I can just imagine working in that! Looking forward to watching it come together for you.
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #14
GSSFC

I know why it is there, but why did you design it with the huge post in the middle? Seems that would get in the way?

Tim
GSSFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
JaysinSpaceman

With out the post I would have needed to go with trusses and that makes the clerestory sort of out of the question or the ridge beam would have had to be 8"x26" to span the 36' and the doors could not have been in the end walls. Unfortunately there are always compromises to be made and the post was reasonable what with the fact that I could turn it into a plus and hang a crane on it. The 40lbs/sq.ft. snow load is the biggest obstacle that I had to deal with in this design next only to the terrain/layout(hence the reason the doors needed to be in the end walls).
Old 09-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #16
tatra

i have been suggesting this design for years to friends and only after they build do they see the advantages and wish they had done it ...........never knew the correct word and so i thank you for sharing your build and edycating me on the correct term........and a jib hoist is nice to have..........thanks again
tatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #17
JaysinSpaceman

tatra, Your welcome and thank You. I have always been happier outside and have never liked working under florescent lighting so it made sense to add the clerestory for the natural light. I have a friend that told me to go with skylights because they would be cheaper but in every house that I have seen skylights in I have also seen leaks, not to say that they are a bad Idea but they require up keep and I have never liked cutting holes in my roof.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:33 AM   #18
ordf

Good, creative thinking! I really like the style of your garage and wish you many good hours in there.

Another interesting thing is to see the differences in the way garages are built (from a materials and technical point of view) in USA and Sweden (my home country). This goes for the other American garages in this forum too, of course.
ordf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:00 AM   #19
JaysinSpaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordf View Post
Good, creative thinking! I really like the style of your garage and wish you many good hours in there.

Another interesting thing is to see the differences in the way garages are built (from a materials and technical point of view) in USA and Sweden (my home country). This goes for the other American garages in this forum too, of course.
Thanx, I'm looking forward to being able work in it soon.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on how this would have been done in Sweden and what types of materials would have been used. I have read a few articles about architecture in Sweden and the designs that are being thought up over there are pretty wild and forward thinking, some fascinating stuff. If you would give us a quick description.

On other notes, we pulled over half of the wire this weekend and installed the outside panel for the meter, all went well with only one minor setback. My father who knows more about electrical then a lot of electricians is also red/green color blind and brought up a big old roll of Grey wire for us to use as the GREEN ground wire. The whole colorblind thing is also why he couldn't do electronic repair for the armed forces back in the late 60's. Must suck.

I also installed about half of my roof insulation in 101 degree weather, OH Joy! I hope to finish it up this week as it is supposed to be cooler.

Thanx for the interest in my building. Jaysin
Old 09-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #20
JaysinSpaceman

So I just thought that I would give a little update. We finished all the interior electrical and everything except the exterior lighting (and that's because I haven't built the lights yet) is wired. I have PG&E set up to drop the main power and just waiting for them so I can have real power, just temp power right now, enough to test circuits out. The lights work!!

I placed all the insulation on the roof and have tar paper on half of it. I used 2" rigid foam, R12.9, under the roofing and above the sheeting because the interior of the ceiling will be open and I didn't want to look at a bunch of batten material for the rest of my days. The corrugated roofing and all the flashing have been ordered and should be here in 1-2 weeks then the fun of installing it begins. Just hope the rain stays away long enough to get the roof sealed up.

I am working on the clerestory windows. Figuring out the custom casings and the mechanism for making them open, transom style, like the old school windows. I think that we have it, but I need to construct a mock up so I know they work before I order the glass. I am also working on the small lower wall windows and I hope to have a picture of them for you soon.

The last details of a building are always slow, especially when you are trying to save money and doing it all yourself.

Jaysin