Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2008, 11:13 PM   #61
alberto

Default Re: My fabrication shop. YEAH!

Very impressive work. The windows you made came out perfect.
alberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #62
kbs2244

I really like the way this is coming together.
What is the plan for the little spaces ath the ends of the windows.
Over and under the overhangs?
Leave them as is or box them in?
kbs2244 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #63
JaysinSpaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244 View Post
What is the plan for the little spaces at the ends of the windows.
They will get sheeted at the ends of the clerestory and then the little open triangle between the eves will get a small piece of sheeting just to close it up. When I ordered the roofing material I neglected to get the corrugated material that covers the roof sheeting between the eves, I have since picked up the material and I will put it down just before that corner is sheeted.

Thanx for the props, I am really excited to have it so close to completed.

Jaysin
JaysinSpaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #64
Conor42

Send a message via ICQ to Conor42 Send a message via AIM to Conor42 Send a message via MSN to Conor42 Send a message via Yahoo to Conor42

Outstanding! So you've mentioned that you got the glass from Sacramento.. looks like you're in the hills somewhere nearby, eh? Off of 80 or off of 50?

Either way, it's neat to see someone in the area with a killer project like this.
Conor42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:51 AM   #65
JaysinSpaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor42 View Post
Outstanding! So you've mentioned that you got the glass from Sacramento.. looks like you're in the hills somewhere nearby, eh? Off of 80 or off of 50?

Either way, it's neat to see someone in the area with a killer project like this.
South of 50 off of hwy 88, gold country. If you mean the stained glass then yes they all came from old buildings that were torn down in the Sac area. The clerestory glass also came from a friend that works as a glazier in the Sac and Bay areas. I'm happy to see that peope like it, it has been a labor of love.

Jaysin
Old 12-15-2008, 10:20 AM   #66
Namocsid

Wow, what a nice shop. Great design, and really nice details that you've included. Any plans to heat/cool the space?
Namocsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:49 PM   #67
JaysinSpaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namocsid View Post
Wow, what a nice shop. Great design, and really nice details that you've included. Any plans to heat/cool the space?
We'll I will definitely need heat (we just got our first real snow of the year) but the summer here isn't too bad so I don't know about the cooling. I have a few options for heat, wood fire, waste oil burner, propane (too expensive so it would only be temporary), or some combo. I still need to make the decision. I have looked at an oil burner design on Journey to Forever and it looks much better the the old MEN heater ( you can find it here http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...arth/me11.html ). But I also have to remove about 3 or so acres of Manzanita and I have a fair amount of Oak as well. I am sure I will figure it out soon, and any advice is welcome.

Jaysin
Old 12-15-2008, 11:31 PM   #68
RAYJAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysinSpaceman View Post
OK, we now have paint, actually I should say stain. We shot the shop with Benjamin-Moore Semi-Solid stain a week and a half ago but I wanted to get the most of the trim up before I posted more pictures. Here goes.
And this last weekend we spent trenching for electrical and water back to the house. I borrowed a brand new (hehe!) trencher from my cousin to take some of the back breaking work out of it. I needed to do a bit of maintenance on it before I could put it to work and I found one date on the B&S motor showing that the trencher is a 1959 or 60 model. This is a super fun machine to operate and quickly reminds the operator why so many old guys are missing fingers.

It is, unfortunately, missing the powered material conveyor thingy under the machine so you have to walk along next to it with a shovel and constantly remove the soil out from under it, other then that it worked beautifully. If any of you out there in TV land have any info on this machine please let me know. It was made by ARPS Corp. and it is the Trench-Devil model. I would love to build a new material conveyor for it but I need to know just how it worked from the factory.

Well, I hope you enjoyed this installment. I hope to get the glass for my clerestory this week and start the construction so the next installment should hopefully have pictures of a beautiful enclosed building. Almost enclosed at any rate, I started on the doors but I am not sure if they will be done before the clerestory, gotta get the roof closed up as first priority.

Thanx, Jaysin

check out this e-bay listing think its a broshour for you machine...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1967-ARPS-Trench...3286.m20.l1116
Thank You Snap On, I now know how it feels to be toilet paper
Quote:
People complain that "Craftsman warranty depends on who you talk to at the store"....

"SNAP-ON warranty depends on your dealer - at 10x the cost."
RAYJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #69
JaysinSpaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYJAY View Post
check out this e-bay listing think its a broshour for you machine...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1967-ARPS-Trench...3286.m20.l1116
Rayjay~ Thanx for the link. That seems like the same model but a bit (7-8 years) newer. I still have not found much info on it. I did find out that the company that built it is still around and I contacted them to get some info but it turns out that they did not have the owner's manual any more, so a strike out there. Any way thanx again.

Jaysin
Old 12-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #70
JaysinSpaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244 View Post
What is the plan for the little spaces ath the ends of the windows.
So I answered this question before but now it is done so I thought I would add a picture to make it absolutely clear.

And While I am at it, here's a couple shots of the door handles and the latch mechanisms.

And so you have an Idea of the setting that the shop lives in, a picture from the house.

And one more just because it looks so good a night with the new outside lights up.

I hope you all like it as it is getting really close to the final and there isn't much I can change now.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #71
sam 8

Very Nice.
Your neck-o-the woods looked familiar, I am about 75 miles north of you, off of 49 north of Grass Valley.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #72
JaysinSpaceman

Well I have been busy and I do believe that the building is ready for it's FINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been so busy what with X-mas and all I don't have pictures ready but I will get the latest up in a day or two.

This Thursday through today we finished the dirt work (trench filling/final grade), trim and flashing, and a shit load of little things that needed to be done and now comes the moment of truth the Final Inspection, wish me luck.

Jaysin
Old 01-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #73
JaysinSpaceman

YEAH IT'S PASSED THE FINAL!!!

My inspector came today and signed it off with no questions to ask. Just says "looks nice". So here's a few shots of it all done.
Trim and flashing came out real well and the my door latch mechanisms work great.

So there it is. I still need to add some gravel to the road areas, but that wont happen for at least 3-4 days as it is way too muddy around the shop. And now I can add a bit more electrical and insulation and wall sheetrock and then it will be ready to move all my equipment into. This whole trip has been well worth the drive. I hope that you all like it. I'll keep all posted as I finish the inside.

Jaysin
Old 01-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #74
67pete300

Really superior work. I love it. All the design details, the fabrication.... Really just amazing. Kudos and congrats to you.
67pete300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #75
cdrewferd

Awazing how the shop turned out. That's one of the nicest exteriors I've seen.
cdrewferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #76
JohnK007

Congrats on passing the final Jay!! You have put a lot of hard work and imaginative thinking into your project and you should be justly proud. We all really enjoyed following along with your build.
JohnK007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #77
andersen24

Sweet job - awesome use of the stained glass and "wrench" handles. I must admit, its pretty amazing looking at these pictures of shops around the U.S. and seeing all the different types of construction due to local codes. Being from California - I must admit it is the weirdest thing seeing something built without all the earthquake requirements!
andersen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #78
67pete300

I've been sketching out sheds recently, I'm pretty sure I will copy your theme in miniature, celestory and all!
67pete300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #79
RATSTER

looks nice. where did you purchase the outside lights?
RATSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #80
avc8130

I love the vent/light idea. There must be an architect in the family somewhere...
ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote