Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #181
JebNY

Default Re: The Harbor Freight PASS/FAIL Thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
Mini Grease gun ----PASS
(refillable Dualco clone) works as good as the Dualco I have had both
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93486
I bought one of these a couple of years ago and the plunger mechanism to load grease was missing. I returned it and the clerk and I looked at all of them on the shelf and none had the part was missing on all of them.

I assume the current ones are complete if it passed.

Jeb
JebNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #182
gotmud13613

Send a message via Yahoo to gotmud13613

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebNY View Post
I bought one of these a couple of years ago and the plunger mechanism to load grease was missing. I returned it and the clerk and I looked at all of them on the shelf and none had the part was missing on all of them.

I assume the current ones are complete if it passed.

Jeb
JebNy, what part of Upstate NY are you from if you don't mind me asking
Old 01-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #183
Gregster

I know where Brasher Falls is.. Thats not too far away from Massena NY.. I visit the Sears there often, they have a pretty good tool selection. I also spend time in Malone
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #184
gotmud13613

Send a message via Yahoo to gotmud13613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
I know where Brasher Falls is.. Thats not too far away from Massena NY.. I visit the Sears there often, they have a pretty good tool selection. I also spend time in Malone
Yeah, pretty close about 7 miles away from Massena, Sears here is ok, the mall sucks but the Sears in Watertown has a larger selection. I go to Malone for the Napa auto store (great guys to deal with).
Old 01-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #185
Gregster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmud13613 View Post
Yeah, pretty close about 7 miles away from Massena, Sears here is ok, the mall sucks but the Sears in Watertown has a larger selection. I go to Malone for the Napa auto store (great guys to deal with).
Haven't been to the one in Watertown... but the Sears at the mall in Massena is much better then anything we have up here in Canadaland. Yes the mall does suck except maybe for the Taco Hell they have in the parking lot
I like having the Home Creepo and Wal Mart next door to each other now.

I haven't been to the Napa in Malone. I have a friend that lives there. We usually go to Advance or the Auto zone. However I keep hearing that the car quest is ok.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #186
JebNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmud13613 View Post
JebNy, what part of Upstate NY are you from if you don't mind me asking
I'm East of Rochester. Never know how to describe where I'm at, If I say Western NY they think West of Buffalo. We are North of Finger Lakes Region. So I just say Upstate, so people know I'm not in NYC or Long Island.

Jeb
JebNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #187
WSMC633

13 Drawer Industrial Quality Roller Tool Chest Pass
Get's used everyday rolled all over my shop. Sure there are nicer chests... But not for anywhere near the $$. I see no reason to upgrade. Also have the Matching Top Chest. Love them Both.

3/8" Impact... Bought it on Sale for $14.00 mostly to see how much I would use it, and figured if it lasted a little while and I like it, I'll by in IR or something. I love it. I use it for everything. Especially disassembly. Really helps to tear down an engine Quick. It won't die, so I haven't had to replace it yet. Have been using it for Over a year nonstop. It is beginning to wear on the drive portion so sockets are a bit loose.

Wall Mount Holders for Packs of Nitrile gloves Pass
Eh.... what could go wrong!

3/8" Drive long Ball end Hex Drive Sockets mm Pass
Saved my Butt. Nobody else had anything in stock. These were a Necessity Buy. and they've been working fine. 4mm twists though. I just saw Cman has a set in the store now where the shaft is 3 times the thickness of the actual Ball end. So I'm going to pick those up for more everyday use for durability.

Engine Stand: Pass All I really use it for right now is to store my S50 motor and it's worked fine, rolls around the shop fine. It was cheap too on sale.

4.5" Grinder passsomething else I bought in a pinch and planned on replacing when it died. It just keeps going and going and going......

3/8" Air Drill pass Works Fine. Our Mac and CMAN's seem to each work better.

Rolling Height adjustable Stool Pass Works great was like $20 on sale. Will buy a few more when they are on sale again.

20 something foot Goodyear Hoses Pass
They do their job as advertised.

Parts Washer Pass It's a steel Tub with a pump. Been working fine for over a year.

Magnetic Parts Trays Pass small ones.. They go on sale all the time for like a dollar. Always buy a bunch. Real handy for keeping nut's and bolts with their project

Cheap Blue Rubber Air Hoses. Marked with something Like 8'-12' FAIL These are probably scraps that they put ends on. They were on sale so we bought a bunch as short utility hoses to have in our bays. They all blistered and burst within 2 months. Or cracked apart. Cheap and not worth it.

Set of Picks Fail
Cheap and Break

5pc Ball-peen Hammer Set Fail Heads were all loose within a month. I like my striking objects not to fall apart

Honestly I love my Chests and think they were one of the Best Buys at HF. I wouldn't by any hand tools from there really. I think it's pretty easy to spot the stuff there that will hold up OK and what stuff is just crap.

Sometimes I will pick up something there (like the 3/8" impact) that I think I might like but not sure how much it will get used, so maybe not worth the $$ to buy a good brand name just to have it sit in the drawer. If it get's used a lot then I'll get a good one. Know what I mean?
WSMC633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:51 PM   #188
n2hcky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan_crawler View Post
He said drilling hammer, not hammer drill.
I almost responded the same way

But since I am here.

SDS Rotary Hammer=Big PASS
Drills holes in concrete like butter, decent bits, can drill, hammer, or drill and hammer.
Mine is orange but you get the idea

Creeper=Pass
Comfortable, rolls well, light weight
n2hcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:20 AM   #189
Coach James

Pittsburgh stubby combo wrenches made in India....FAIL!!!!!

They are so thick they must be made of the weakest steel the Indians could find.

A buddy of mine also has that SDS rotary hammer and it has drilled 100+ holes with it and no problems.

Coach
Coach James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:00 AM   #190
modeltford

Bought a lot of tools from HF over the last 20+ years - way more than I can remember! Only real failure was a bat charger - switch is bad - no repair parts, but was cheap. Have a couple broken sockets, but sets are so cheap it doesn't matter. Have the 18 gauge Air Finish nailer - bought in 2000 while building our house, have run over 10,000 nails thru with no problems - well worth the 20 bucks! have their jack stands in constant use - have never worried about a failure even on a sloped driveway.

biggest thing to remember is you get what yo upay for - if I was earning a living with my tools, I'd not buy at HF - but have had better luck with their electric hand tools than with Craftsman or B/D.

I'd say PASS for almost everythng!

Rich
modeltford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #191
MarkH

Where possible to make this thread useful add the model numbers and when produced. We get spoiled by the tools we can recognize by manufacturer and are produced by that company for years. HF like Sears is a marketing company not a manufacturer getting its products from ever changing sources even though the looks are similar. They also for example have about 15 different spray gun models many having similar names on the box.

Because of this we have a rule, HF for the items we get there with few exceptions, Evapo rust for instance is a hands on place. You place your hands on what you are getting and view it before taking it home. Any doubts, leave it.

We have had good go to bad. We used a spray gun, painted a few things and chucked it to not have to deal with cleaning issues. The model is still there but changes have been made that have turned it into a fail for us. It is now usually on sale for 20 bucks less than before. Give me the better one back with the same model.

Others have gone from bad to usable. Some hand tools that were terrible that in the Taiwan models are OK. Then other cheaper crap came up with the same name.

We do live by the tools so we are fussy or dead in the water. Still there is things that are OK to get at HF. Many of the secondary shops use 60-80 gal US General air compressors that we purchased in the last couple of years at around 899 each.
MarkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:36 PM   #192
Tom2

I bought some cheap clamps. FAIL. They explode. Yep..They literally will fall apart under pressure. Ive hard 3 of them just suddenly burst when they were holding something.

Also the manual pipe threader. Didn't work at all. Same with the large pipe cutter. Did not work at all. I have no idea how they can sell stuff like that.
Of course, I returned those items.

Harbor Freight is about 50/50..You know its a gamble when you go in.
Tom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:44 PM   #193
MarkH

Black and Orange plastic clamps?
Old 01-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #194
Tom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
Black and Orange plastic clamps?
Yep
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92874

At $7, what can you expect? But, they can do damage when they fly apart. Ive been lucky I wasnt staring at one when it happened.

I should really throw them away lol Not sure why I keep them around.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:05 PM   #195
MarkH

My wife bought a few of these to hold up her photography backgrounds. They were easier to clip on than the Ponys I had given her and she had used for about 8 years. Day 2 of use, loud crash. Sticking into the wall right where her customers or observers sit during a photo shoot was the spring of the clamp. If that thing had given out about 30 minutes later or a few minutes earlier, I would not have been here to make this comment. I would be working multiple jobs to pay off the for sure law suit that would have happened. That thing had the power behind it to go through the wall and about 3/4" into the stud behind where it hit. It would have done damage to a much softer human body. Imagine hitting the throat, eye, etc.

It was a good lesson for her also about looking at design and what can happen due to failure.

It was back to the pony's. 10 years and never an issue.

I give those clamps not just a FAIL but a DANGEROUS ranking. These should not be on the market. Period.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:17 PM   #196
T56 Impala

Send a message via AIM to T56 Impala

PASS.... Right angle pneumatic grinder......PASS

I picked one up today for my box restoration. Went to Sears and picked up some locking disc things. Mine works great! Runs true but is a bit of an air hog.

Anyone one about the smaller bench top blast cabinet? Is it good enough for light use such as old wrenches and parts of this box I'm working on?
T56 Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:25 PM   #197
Tom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
My wife bought a few of these to hold up her photography backgrounds. They were easier to clip on than the Ponys I had given her and she had used for about 8 years. Day 2 of use, loud crash. Sticking into the wall right where her customers or observers sit during a photo shoot was the spring of the clamp. If that thing had given out about 30 minutes later or a few minutes earlier, I would not have been here to make this comment. I would be working multiple jobs to pay off the for sure law suit that would have happened. That thing had the power behind it to go through the wall and about 3/4" into the stud behind where it hit. It would have done damage to a much softer human body. Imagine hitting the throat, eye, etc.

It was a good lesson for her also about looking at design and what can happen due to failure.

It was back to the pony's. 10 years and never an issue.

I give those clamps not just a FAIL but a DANGEROUS ranking. These should not be on the market. Period.
Glad to hear I wasn't the only one with a problem...(so I know Im not crazy). I'm definitely throwing the others away before something bad happens.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:54 PM   #198
T56 Impala

Send a message via AIM to T56 Impala

Humm, I have a set of these. Not sure if they are HF ones or not, but they very well could be. They sure look the same! Mine have been holding up for about 8 years now. No issues.
T56 Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:05 PM   #199
Tom2

Theres alot of others on the market with the same color scheme. So, theyre probably different. Especially if they've held up that long.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:25 PM   #200
Danglerb

I bought a bunch of the rubber over metal clamps, and they have been working fine. I used them when gluing fabric usually with flat bits of wood to spread out the pressure. PASS

11" long handle plier set, PASS, works fine, even has a decent fit to the jaws.
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harbor freight