Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #2161
shampoop

Default Re: The Harbor Freight PASS/FAIL Thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTABLAZER View Post
Item 66501/Magnetic Glove Box Holder

PASS,the glove box fits in it and the magnets stick to the side of the tool box.
+1 love it. Surprised how strong the magnets are. The screwdriver/spray can holder passes also.
shampoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:35 AM   #2162
ajchien

Quote:
Originally Posted by muibubbles View Post
boo yeah! used the same coupon and bought my second one last week so i have a grinding wheel and wire wheel although its my first grinder and i havent put it to use that many times, i liked the performance. I much rather have a few of these with all different attachments and pay less then 1 brand name one with one attachment and pay more..
Where did you find this coupon? I only found one for the heavy duty one for $15
ajchien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #2163
davidj

long handle wrenches Item # 47067: PASS
Jackstands Item # 38846 and Item # 34924: PASS
tongue and groove pliers (channelock style) included with Item # 38082: epic fail they slip
rubber mallet with fiberglass handle Item # 95083: epic fail i hit something about 5 times with it and then the head flew across my yard.....
stubby flex head ratchets Item #46742: not saying pass or fail they are ok but the flexhead part doesnt want to stay still when you are wrenching on something like a better quality one would.
step bits Item #96275: Pass
drill pressItem #38119: Pass i have used this thing like crazy. it has never let me down

Last edited by davidj; 12-13-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: added item numbers for ION
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #2164
IONH

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
long handle wrenches: PASS
Jackstands: PASS
slip joint pliers (channelock style): epic fail they slip
rubber mallet with fiberglass handle: epic fail i hit something about 5 times with it and then the head flew across my yard.....
stubby flex head ratchets: not saying pass or fail they are ok but the flexhead part doesnt want to stay still when you are wrenching on something like a better quality one would.
step bits: Pass
drill press: Pass i have used this thing like crazy. it has never let me down
There are so many variants of everything you just posted about. Without item numbers, the pass/fail ratings are not going to help anyone.
IONH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #2165
rayzor32

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece...set-95038.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece...set-94516.html

I havent seen anyone review these yet so ill give it a go. Tech at work has a set he said he's had for 4 years and their still going strong, he said the only weak point is the cheap band that holds the pin in place, his 15mm broke but all he did was mig weld the pin back in and works great. Lifetime warranty anyway. Used my 20% coupons and got them on sale paid 11.50 for the 3/8" set and 13.00 for the 1/2". Talk about DIRT CHEAP, I used them today and they are GREAT, was going to shell out $250 for a ONE snap on set but i think not now... only gripe is the 3/8" skips 15 and gives you a 16, but the 1/2" set gives you the 15mm so i guess im still covered.
rayzor32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #2166
pmohr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzor32 View Post

I havent seen anyone review these yet so ill give it a go. Tech at work has a set he said he's had for 4 years and their still going strong, he said the only weak point is the cheap band that holds the pin in place, his 15mm broke but all he did was mig weld the pin back in and works great. Lifetime warranty anyway. Used my 20% coupons and got them on sale paid 11.50 for the 3/8" set and 13.00 for the 1/2". Talk about DIRT CHEAP, I used them today and they are GREAT, was going to shell out $250 for a ONE snap on set but i think not now... only gripe is the 3/8" skips 15 and gives you a 16, but the 1/2" set gives you the 15mm so i guess im still covered.
I love these impact swivels. As said, the o-rings that hold on the pin-retention collar tend to get cut up on stuff, but I've found a stash at work that are perfect replacements.

I've broken one after close to a year of constant use, the 3/8" 13mm (and even then, only the pin. This includes being used with an adapter on a 2135Ti). Funny, because I've broken all 5 of my SO impact swivels at one point or another. For the ones I've got doubles of (HF and SO), I always go for the HF first, as I trust them more to not break.
pmohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #2167
SCscoutguy

Quote:

I have had the SAE set for years and have beat the hell out of them and they are still going strong. I just bought the metric set this weekend on clearance because the SAE set was so great.
SCscoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #2168
rayzor32

I don't know why they have to use that dumb band though, why cant they just weld the pin in like these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...set-36846.html

I might try this set out too as I need a 3/8" impact swivel, too bad it comes with the 1/2" too don't need that. I still don't get why they leave out the 15mm!
Old 12-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #2169
pmohr

Quote:
I don't know why they have to use that dumb band though, why cant they just weld the pin in like these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...set-36846.html

I might try this set out too as I need a 3/8" impact swivel, too bad it comes with the 1/2" too don't need that. I still don't get why they leave out the 15mm!
That's actually the old style that's been discontinued. I bought that set about the same time as the impact swivels, and finally broke the pin in the 3/8" a few weeks ago. The 1/2" has held up fine, but I rarely use it.

Just picked up the Pittsburgh Pro impact swivels (that are replacing those above), and they're manufactured much like the C revision SO impact swivels, with a smooth outer 'shell' with no visible pin. Not coming up on the site and I don't have the part number handy, but they were out on the shelf next to the now discontinued line (at the same price, no less). They look and feel to be much beefier than the old style.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #2170
rayzor32

Wow thats cool, im pretty sure they just weld them in and then grind it down smooth so you can't see it, at last thats what a snap on guy told me except he said "precision laser welded" or something like that. Just need the 3/8" so I can use it on my deep wells.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #2171
Vettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Bojack View Post
HF seems to have a new tool box and it seems pretty damn good. I wish I could remember the dimensions and drawer count. It was red and had a finish like the black tool cart and 56" box. At any rate I pulled out one of small the drawers (roller drawers) out and put a good 60+ lbs on it and it didn't budge. Had good drawer action and seemed to be of excellent build quality. Any one else seen this?

Pre-emptive PASS.

Saw it yesterday. Red, smooth finish. I wish I'd waited a few months as I bought two of the wrinkle finish ones.
Vettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:32 PM   #2172
Vettman

I'm returning a cordless drill (65930) tomorrow. It doesn't have any more torque than 12 yr. old Craftsman I'm replacing, and the battery is more difficult to remove.***** Fail ******
Vettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #2173
LEVE

The Can Crusher, Item 95678, Pass!

It's much better constructed than I suspected. Works like a charm. Not bad for <$9 using a 20% off coupon.
LEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #2174
davidj

Quote:
Originally Posted by IONH View Post
There are so many variants of everything you just posted about. Without item numbers, the pass/fail ratings are not going to help anyone.
I just added the item numbers for you. hope it helps...
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #2175
subarub4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettman View Post
I'm returning a cordless drill (65930) tomorrow. It doesn't have any more torque than 12 yr. old Craftsman I'm replacing, and the battery is more difficult to remove.***** Fail ******

crap I was hoping it would be good.. I wonder if it's better then this 9V roybi I have.
subarub4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #2176
johnnybentwrench

I have a 12 ton hydraulic press from HF. It was free. Big fail on breaking a pitman arm from a gear box ( 1990's dodge 1/2 ton truck) I watched a neighbor play around with hammers and little pullers. I offered a proto puller first no go. Told him to use the press, I saw the bottom flex first. I told the neighbor F it pull the handle & crack it down, it'll break loose. well it POPPED.

In this POS presses defense it has seperated many many shaft drives on BMW motorcycles. That's what I get for being a good neighbor nahh he is cool and saved the landlord(friends mom) big $$$$ on electrical stuff and he knew our friend who passed, gosh our friend loved HF and was probably a member here! matter a fact I am gonna PM bull right now, JBW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6746.jpg (139.5 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6747.jpg (130.5 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6748.jpg (133.4 KB, 134 views)
johnnybentwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #2177
dclassical

Has anyone tried the Rear brake piston tool (95713)... I need to buy one.
dclassical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #2178
pmohr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclassical View Post
Has anyone tried the Rear brake piston tool (95713)... I need to buy one.
That's what I use for almost all of my rear brake jobs. Short of some Fords, it's worked on everything I've touched so far (though I think I did a little bit of grinding to one of the faces to make it fit a VW caliper).
Old 12-16-2010, 08:18 PM   #2179
rayzor32

buy the lilse one
Old 12-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #2180
dclassical

Quote:
buy the lilse one
Not to hijack the thread, but could you elaborate why?
dclassical is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harbor freight