Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #3841
Demon4x4
Alliance Member

Default Re: The Harbor Freight PASS/FAIL Thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991Syclone View Post
I'll have to check my newest magazines, but the coupon I have here in front of me that expires on 6/14/12 states "Tool Cabinets". Maybe the newest ones have changed. These are coming out of magazines, not the ones being sent via email or through their flyers.
Does the coupon code that you have work on the tool cart in a test environment, like say, the website?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #3842
1991Syclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon4x4 View Post
Does the coupon code that you have work on the tool cart in a test environment, like say, the website?
The coupon does NOT apply to 800 orders or online orders. Must be presented in-store.
1991Syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #3843
1991Syclone

Just checked the coupon in the latest Hot Rod and it states tool cabinets, not carts. Not sure if they have something in the system that would not allow the coupon if you tried or not.
1991Syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #3844
bimmerZ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerZ5 View Post
i guess i consider HFT is either hit or miss. there are certainly a lot of crap they sell, but there are also some things that would really surprise people for the money. so, without actual data (from my own trials+error, or someone else's) I'm not going to make judgement just yet.

these are the batteries I'm talking about:

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...ies-67861.html

they come out to $2.50 each, which is about the same price as the eneloops from amazon. the costco deal on eneloops comes out to $2 each for AA. so, they aren't exactly selling "cheap" batteries there... but their 20% coupon applies to almost anything (we know the excluded items, and batteries aren't on the list). i was thinking when they go on sale, and top that with the 20% coupon would yield a better deal than costco. so long as the quality of those are somewhat close to the eneloops, that might work out to be a good deal.
well, i went ahead and bought some of these high capacity rechargeables that have a long shelf life. first of all, they did hold a decent charge right out of the box. after running my LED light for several days straight until the light started to dim, I popped them into my La Crosse charger. all of them except for one was still reading 1.2V or higher, the one was 1.0xV. I charged them at 500mA until they were done and the charger showed them taking 23xx-24xx mAh of charge and the voltage was about 1.4V. They are rated for 2300mAh so at least it seems they exceed what they promise.

so far, so good... but I'll withhold judgement until i've recharged them a couple more times. these aren't any cheaper than eneloops at normal prices. but when they are on sale and with the 20% coupon, they can come out to a better deal.
bimmerZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #3845
emeraldcoupe

Slide Hammer and Bearing Puller Set

http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-h...ler-95987.html

don't remember if i posted this before. this works great, just used it again yesterday. surprisingly well built.
emeraldcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #3846
onelochevy

McPherson Strut Spring Compressor

http://www.harborfreight.com/macpher...-set-3980.html

PASS - Can't beat it for $20 bucks. Changed the rear struts on my wifes jeep this morning and it was a piece of cake using these.

1.5 ton Racing Jack

http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-p...html-7814.html

PASS - Got this for Christmas but finally used it for the first time today doing the struts. Worked like a champ.

Orange Goop Hand Cleaner

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-oz-o...ner-47943.html

PASS - Hands were black from grease and are now clean again, lol. It worked well.
onelochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #3847
Rocket1

The offset oxygen sensor socket is a major fail. It's junk, the oxygen sensor gets stuck in the socket and it's a pain to remove. I guess it gets wedged, last time I tried to use it I had to use a malot to loosen it off the sensor
Rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #3848
bimmerZ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket1 View Post
The offset oxygen sensor socket is a major fail. It's junk, the oxygen sensor gets stuck in the socket and it's a pain to remove. I guess it gets wedged, last time I tried to use it I had to use a malot to loosen it off the sensor
they sell several, and some in sets. can you be more specific about which one? like item number?
bimmerZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #3849
Altec

Yeah, I have the set, and it works great. I've used a 24" breaker bar on the offset. It has a nifty 8pt drive.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #3850
IONH

Quote:
Once you get the O2 loosened, tighten it again to get the O2 back into the correct location of the hex. Then continue to loosen to remove from exhaust.
IONH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #3851
Rocket1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerZ5 View Post
they sell several, and some in sets. can you be more specific about which one? like item number?
I said socket but I meant wrench. This is the one I have

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...nch-97177.html
Old 03-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #3852
Rocket1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IONH View Post
Once you get the O2 loosened, tighten it again to get the O2 back into the correct location of the hex. Then continue to loosen to remove from exhaust.
I tried that but it would tighten the sensor too much before it would reseat. It was more trouble than it was worth
Old 03-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #3853
IONH

Quote:
I tried that but it would tighten the sensor too much before it would reseat. It was more trouble than it was worth
It would definitely work if you tried it. Sometimes it takes a two or three loosen/tighten attempts.

Similar to when taking off a water pump pulley with its 4 bolts... using one wrench against another continually loosening and tightening until they all come free and don't lock onto the wrench.

Personally, I prefer the socket style O2 sockets because they seem more rigid. Not sure if HF has those though.
IONH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #3854
jam92102

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelochevy View Post
McPherson Strut Spring Compressor

http://www.harborfreight.com/macpher...-set-3980.html

PASS - Can't beat it for $20 bucks. Changed the rear struts on my wifes jeep this morning and it was a piece of cake using these.
Did it feel safe? I was eyeing them but was scared it would be dangerous using such a cheap set.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #3855
Altec

Those screw style ones were always dangerous. No matter the brand. If I don't have access to a press, I use ratchet straps to compress springs for doing struts, and such. One on each side. Wrapped around a couple times on each end, the hooked to itself. Then you can ratchet it enough to take tension off the bucket/strut.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #3856
diggerrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam92102 View Post
Did it feel safe? I was eyeing them but was scared it would be dangerous using such a cheap set.
The first time I used mine (several years ago) I thought "typical cheap chinese crap." So I decided to grease the threads - it was night & day. Still doesn't feel "robust & trustworthy", but honestly has never given any indication it was being overworked since.
diggerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #3857
wornoutoldman

Quote:
They don't call em "suicide sticks' for nuthing...

"Shining star for you to see, what your life can truly be".

Wanna keep track of all your vehicles maintenance? Click here!
wornoutoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #3858
pearltsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
worm gear clamp assortment box. Utter fail. Can't tighten the clamps, the slots just deform from the worm gear. Useless.
truth
pearltsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #3859
Tarheelgarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post
Those screw style ones were always dangerous. No matter the brand. If I don't have access to a press, I use ratchet straps to compress springs for doing struts, and such. One on each side. Wrapped around a couple times on each end, the hooked to itself. Then you can ratchet it enough to take tension off the bucket/strut.

those types aren't called "widow makers" for no reason..
"One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence" - Thomas Sowell
Tarheelgarage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #3860
onelochevy

Quote:
Felt perfectly safe using them. Now I will say this...the strut springs I worked were pretty short so they really didnt try to bend side to side if you tightened one side down further than the other. I dont know how they would do working on a strut with a taller / narrower spring that would easily bend while compressing it.
onelochevy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harbor freight