Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower
Default bmwpower's garage build

It's been a long time coming. I've wanted to start one of these threads ever since I joined up on garagejunkies some time ago, but unfortunately most of my garage was done by the time I signed up here. I wish it was the other way around because I could have changed a couple of things along the way with some of the advice I've gathered from garagejunkies.

I'm going to finally get off my butt and post some pictures. So here we go...I'm going to try and touch on the build process from start to finish. For reference, it took 4-1/2 years to get to where I am now (just got my CO in April '06). We (my father, myself and some friends/family from time to time) started to build the garage at the same time we started to build the house. We subbed out some of the work (masonry, roofing), but most of it we completed ourselves. As with most new builds, things didn't go as planned, so we ended up having to finish the house first (more on this later).... enjoy.

November 11, 2001 - we break ground on the house/garage foundation

November 30, 2001 - foundation for the garage is complete, 30x30

December 22, 2001 - foundation is finished and backfilled

...sadly this is where the garage remained until almost 3 years later. There was a miscommunication between us and the building construction office. Long story short, apparently the garage was too large when compared to the square footage of my house even though the office had given me an "ok" to start construction. They had me stop construction until I obtained a variance for the garage. After a lawyer, $550 and a couple of months later, I had my variance. Unfortunately, we were in the thick of building the house, thus we decided to leave the garage until last. Well you guessed it... house is done, no more money, bills, taxes, etc., so the garage foundation sat as is for some time. No problem. That gives me time to get a rock solid plan for what was to go inside...

Last edited by bmwpower; 05-17-2006 at 05:01 PM.
bmwpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:33 PM   #2
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Default Re: bmwpower's garage build

August 7, 2004 - restart of garage build!...material delivery

Finally, I got the chance to start building the garage again. Here's what became of the garage foundation over the last several years...basically, a storage area for my yard junk.

August 9, 2004 - First wall starts to go up. Ceiling will be 14'3" high.

August 10, 2004 - Almost all the walls are up.

August 24, 2004 - Trusses arrive.

August 29, 2004 - Trusses are up. Notice nice big oil stain from crane guy's leaky crane...wasn't happy about that but oh well.

August 29, 2004 - Another shot of the garage.

August 29, 2004 - Opposite corner of garage.

Last edited by bmwpower; 05-17-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-17-2006, 03:17 AM   #3
snorvet

bmw - great garage!
snorvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:28 AM   #4
BoostAddiction

Don't stop now- show us the rest!

-Will
BoostAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:19 AM   #5
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostAddiction
Don't stop now- show us the rest!

-Will
Thanks guys. I'm trying to add things when I have time. I've had 3 kids since this project kicked off and, boy, does that affect my availability. I still have to go through a bunch of picts. Don't worry, we'll get to the finished product pretty soon!
Old 05-17-2006, 07:54 AM   #6
shopking68

Send a message via Yahoo to shopking68

wow thats looking sweet, and very tall

1966 Caprice
1967 Impala SS (Sold)
1968 Impala (Frame Off Project)
2001 Tahoe LT (Wifes Ride)
1972 Chevy C10
shopking68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:59 AM   #7
hotrod66paul
Banned

WOW you had three kids. I thought about it but decided to let the wife have them instead. Worked out for the better that way.
Enough of my sick humor, its time for some more current pictures.
hotrod66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:08 AM   #8
mleichtle

Finally, I've been reading about this project since you started over at the self help forum. Keep 'em coming.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:49 AM   #9
cdrewferd

Looks good, now where are the rest?
cdrewferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #10
joecaver

I'm looking forward to seeing what you did with all that ceiling height. Looking good so far.
joecaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #11
LOWCAD

Send a message via AIM to LOWCAD

I cant explain how jealous i am, wish i had the land to build a big garage like that. Looking awesome man!

2005 Cadillac STS N* V8
1970 Cadillac Coupe Deville 472cuin V8
1927 T-modified 401 nailhead powered!!!
LOWCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:55 PM   #12
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Default Interior Layout

When we were done building the house, I started working on the interior layout. I knew I wanted Lista cabinets. In several of my previous jobs, I had used Lista cabinets, but never really knew anything about them until I started designing/researching my garage. After doing a lot of reseach on cabinets, I decided to buy a used Lista cabinet off of eBay to house my current tool setup. I was really amazed at how well they were constructed and how (relatively) affordable they were when compared to other higher end cabinets

While doing cabinet research online, I came across a gentleman who happened to be a dealer for Lista. I inquired about wanting to purchase several cabinets from him. He was really friendly and offered to help in the design of the cabinet layout. I already had a general idea of what I wanted, but he helped me fine tune the design using his knowledge of Lista stuff. This helped out greatly as I quickly found out that not everything Lista is in the catalog...you can customize just about anything they offer.

Eight months later and a LOT of emails back and forth, the final design was developed. See the final layout below. What you don't see are the Lista upper cabinets in this design (more on this later).

Final garage layout - Lista cabinets, 2 post lift, etc.

Final garage layout with electrical - Drawing this out help me a TON when wiring the garage. Without this drawing I think I would have gone crazy. Keep in mind this was my first real wiring job so I needed a lot of reference.

The big reason for the 14'3" ceiling height was that fact that I knew I wanted 3 things: (1) metal halide low bay lights, (2) a 2 post lift and (3) a garage that complimented the height of my house. Luckily I came across 12 used low bay GE metal halide lights at an auction for around $120 total. Granted they were used, but I tested them out and all but one worked. These lights usually go for a couple hundred dollars each, so I think I got a good deal. When you add the height of a 2 post lift (~12 feet) and metal halide lights (~2 feet), you get 14 feet, hence the reason for my ceiling height. I wanted no restrictions on height anywhere within the garage. I also wanted no restrictions as to where I could place the lights. With this ceiling height, I could place everything where I wanted it and not have problems.

I used Visual lighting software (free demo) to design the layout and to maximize coverage throughout the garage. Check it out at www.visuallightingsoftware.com. This is the same software that Griot's Garage uses to figure out how many of their fixtures you would need to purchase. I know this because I priced out their metal halide fixtures and the design they gave me was a direct print out from the Visual software. Unfortunately, their design and lights came to over $2000+.

GE low bay metal halide lights - 9 total, 175 watts each running @ 240v, average of 55 footcandles at 30" working height.

Last edited by bmwpower; 01-05-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:28 PM   #13
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Default Time to pick up the cabinets...

If you've ordered from Lista within the past couple of years, you've probably had to deal with their (quite frequent, in my opinion) price increases. When I designed my plan, I knew of several big price increases coming up. I decided to order my cabinets as soon as possible to avoid these increases (at the time , the price increase would have amounted to about $1000). The big task was trying to convince the wife that ordering a significant amount of expensive cabinets PRIOR to finishing the garage was a good idea. She agreed it was the best thing to do, so I placed the order with a pickup date of September 1, 2004.

Yes, that's right a pickup date, not a ship date. Having the cabinets shipped would have cost me well over $1200. Being relatively close to Lista, I decided it would more economical to pickup the cabinets at the factory. Indeed it was. One day rental of a 24 foot Ryder truck was several hundred dollars, plus gas, etc. came to less than $500 total. I ended up saving ~$700 by picking them up myself with the help of a friend.

September 1, 2004 - Pickup the cabinets at Lista using a 24 foot Ryder truck. Left at 7AM, returned to NJ at 10PM that night.

Last edited by bmwpower; 05-17-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #14
joecaver

I am very impressed with the amount of planning you have done and the attention to detail. You should end up with a garage that will be the envy of us all. Kudos to you.
joecaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:35 PM   #15
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleichtle
Finally, I've been reading about this project since you started over at the self help forum. Keep 'em coming.
Wow, I didn't know you were a member. That place helped me get through building the garage, mainly electrical. More on the way...
Old 05-20-2006, 10:55 PM   #16
DStewart

Looking good, can't wait to see more. Really want to see the cabinets.............
DStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:19 AM   #17
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Default More picts

September 25, 2004 - Roof goes on. These were some quick workers. Finished the entire roof in about 4 hours.

October 11, 2004 - Siding starts to go up.

November, 6, 2004 - Plumbing is roughed in - water supply, sink drain. Conduit for 100A feed, Cat6 ethernet, phone, CATV, security get roughed in. I feel energetic so I decide to dig the trench for the power...by hand...took me all day.

November 27, 2004 - Stone is done being compacted, in layers, to total height of 6 inches

Last edited by bmwpower; 05-21-2006 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:29 AM   #18
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Default More picts again

November 28, 2004 - 6mil vapor barrier is installed (Vapor Block 6). Rebar stakes set for final floor height of 8 inches. Mix is 4000psi with fiber. Mason thought I was crazy pouring so thick.

February 6, 2005 - Rough electrical is just about done. 100A SquareD QO subpanel.

February 6, 2005 - Siding has since been completed.

June 9, 2005 - HVAC installed. Gas forced heat/air system in attic. 100Btu/2.5 ton system.

July 2, 2005 - Insulation is complete. Scaffold came in real handy.

July 3, 2005 - Sheetrock starts to go up with the help of a Genie lift. Rock is 5/8" firecode on ceiling and walls.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:52 AM   #19
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Default more picts again, again

October 7, 2005 - Spackling is just about done. Ledge on block wall was rocked out to give it a cleaner look.

October 15, 2005 - Everything is masked off and sprayed using Sherwin Williams products (primer and semigloss topcoat). Sprayer was a lower end Graco model.

November 25, 2005 - Walls have been protected with plastic...preparing for an epoxy floor. I rented an Edco conrete grinder to grind down the trowel marks/imperfections on the floor. I also rented a laser level to make sure critical areas of the floor were level.

November 26, 2005 - Grinder takes off a good amount of the top layer to make things smoother - I get a pile of dust per pass in return (tape measure for scale). I made 8 passes total. Floor is subsequently rinsed and broomed to get the remainder of the dust off. Then I rented a floor scrubber/polisher (not shown) and used black abrasive pads to get some overspray off the floor. The scrubber also did a great job of getting the remainder of the dust off the floor. I scrubbed until no more "cream" came off the floor. All of this was followed up by 2 passes of acid etching, including the block wall. I rinsed everything probably a half dozen times after the acid....then let it dry for a couple weeks.

December 11, 2005 - PrepRite Block Filler from Sherwin Williams is used to prime the cinderblock and help fill any voids. Cinderblock will get coated with epoxy.

December 16, 2005 - Small cracks in floor get coated with Rustoleum EpoxyShield Concrete Patch and Repair.

Last edited by bmwpower; 05-22-2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:03 AM   #20
bmwpower
Super Moderator

December 17, 2005 - Floor is ready for epoxy. First coat of Sherwin Williams ArmorSeal 1000 HS is put down. Small section of cinderblock is tested for compatibility. Window fan used for fume exhaust...note towel over exterior of window. This is done in an effort to keep cold air from entering the window once the fan shuts down. Keep in mind, this whole process was being done in the coldest month of the year. Not my ideal situation, but I needed to get things done before spring.

December 23, 2005 - 3rd coat of ArmorSeal is put down, another to follow after this. - 4 coats total.

January 13, 2006 - My poor Lista cabinets have sat, lonely and unused in my attached garage since I purchased them...Time to move them out!!