Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
drivesitfar

Default Safety 101- Anybody wanting to share their safety tips when using their tools??

ALL: So there are so many injuries and even deaths to guys and gals that are actually trying to repair or fix something that should have never happened that i thought we should maybe share a few of the things we do to keep safe.

from putting jack stands under your car's frame in case the hydraulic jack gives out to not putting a stained rag on a wood bench that can start a fire please post up your thoughts.

you can also post up some videos if they might show something that really shows us how things can go wrong quickly.

here's a thread i started about grinders and i hope it has saved a few members eyes, fingers and toes and even worse just by reading it.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=263083

Tips and Warnings to Remember when:

1) WELDING
eye protection
ear plugs to prevent slag from going in and burning hole in ear drum
socks over pants or pants taped over boots/shoes
clean up shop after welding for maybe 30 minutes to make sure no hot burrs are starting to catch it on fire

2) Grinding
replace old or cracked stones
full face shield
don't grind berlinium because dust is toxic
don't grind aluminum

3) SAWS

4) Ladders

5) Batteries

6) Drill presses
7) TBD... and so on

SAFETY 101: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=338827

Last edited by drivesitfar; 09-09-2016 at 09:18 AM.
drivesitfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
drivesitfar

Default Re: Safety 101- Anybody wanting to share their safety tips when using their tools??

Shop cleanup after a job could keep it from burning down. Thumper mentioned a few days ago in the Organizing 201 thread in garage gallery that he cleans up after the day's work in his shop to not only have a clean bench to start out the next day, but to also see if there is anything still burning from a spark or weld splatter or anything else. great thinking on all parts in that post.

speaking of cleaning up did you know that a rag full of stain set on or near wood can combust and start a fire so get a can with a lid on it inside your shop or hang those rags outside to dry might be the best options.

i'll start posting links and videos with a little more graphic stuff like was on the Grinder Safety 101 thread or if you have something good to post that shows un safe situations please do of course use your judgement because 5 year olds are on their smart phones now checking our posts.

Last edited by drivesitfar; 09-08-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-08-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
Evilunclegrimace

Default Re: Safety 101- Anybody wanting to share their safety tips when using their tools??

The bigger the hammer you are using, the farther away you want your thumb from the item being hammered.
Evilunclegrimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #4
KMdef9

Drive, your sig has a very important one:

"Proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance" and I like its little brother too; "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail"

I never rush jobs, hurrying through them typically means you're not thinking as much as you need to be which can lead into inury in may different ways.

I also use PPE (personal protective equipment) all the time. I think alot of people will skip out these when doing basic tasks. Safety glasses, gloves, kevlar forearm sleeves, what have you. Nothing is more frustrating than when a nut breaks loose in a tight space and now you're missing a chunk of skin.
KMdef9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #5
drivesitfar

EVIL: Truer words are not often said. of course i'd add get that BFH far from a nice old vise and beat on something on a piece of old RR track or buy a press.

KM: i now own maybe 5 full face shields and i wear readers under them for a lot of work. hope you didn't get something hot on your toes when firing up your welder. yes preparing to do a little or big job should always include SAFETY FIRST.

ALL: another tip i heard that i hadn't heard before about safety when using a welder is using EAR PLUGS. several guys have had hot welds fly into their ears without EAR PLUGS and LOST THEIR HEARING.

of course anytime you fire up a machine or saw or even a drill press use EAR PLUGS or EAR PROTECTION. i have rarely used ear protection in my first 55 years above dirt and still forget once in a while the last 5 years and i've already lost a good portion of my hearing and heading down the road of my dad where i'll have to get hearing aids and have anybody repeat everything to me in person soon. WEAR EAR AND EYE PROTECTION ALWAYS

Old 09-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
ChaseDE

I work for one of the largest engineering companies in the world and safety is huge here, we have safety meetings and safety talks and safety moments and safety everything. I work in the office and maybe 3 or 4 times a year go to a job site but even in the office we have safety campaigns about texting and driving, texting and walking, watching where you are walking, closing cabinets and drawers, keeping your office clean, etc, etc.

For large companies like this your safety record can affect whether you get that billion dollar job or not so it is ultra important to the point where it is often quite annoying all the time we spend/devote to safety activities instead of work, especially for office personnel.

When I am on site, we usually follow the sites rules because they are very stringent. I can be kicked off site immediately for a year or more for....driving with my phone in my hand at all, going over any posted speed limit, driving without a seatbelt, not using a handrail on a stairway, not using a harness if climbing anything, using a ladder over 6' without being tied off, smoking in undesignated areas, and a lot more stuff.

Nevertheless I have started trying to be more safe and home and work. Like I always...

wear at least sunglasses if not safety glasses when doing yard work with a string trimmer, always wear sturdy shoes and things like that. started doing this after i was trimming the yard and had a thick weed stalk fly at my head and stick straight into my cheek literally an inch from my eye.

wear gloves a lot more then I used to when working in the garage now.

always use jack stands on top of using a floor jack, this is common sense to most but i used to not do this when i was young and dumb.

turning the electric off at the breaker, even if you are just pushing a wired outlet into a box....ask me why

keeping the garage floor clean.

lifting with my legs.

things like that....

STAY SAFE!!
ChaseDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:43 AM   #7
Hiball

I'm normally pretty good about PPE, but as I sit here typing on my IPad wearing a "glasscock" strapped to my right ear after having tympanoplasty surgery yesterday, because I let the urge of "only having to make a few cuts with the torch" get in the way of safety.

Safety up fellas...
Im Currently not taking any orders or shipping Kits/parts. It's always best to patronize local business's when possible, if not available there are numerous online suppliers. Below, you will find a phone number to HPS, Steve and His Wife are very knowledgable and very economically priced. .

Have a Hydraulic Jack Question? Check Here First..

Need a Seal Kit? Contact Hydraulic Parts Supply at 620-594-2247

BRC 6/9/22 - 3/5/12 My Best Friend and the Greatest Man i ever Knew RIP...
Hiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:57 AM   #8
CoogarXR

Unfortunately, many of us (well, especially me) don't learn until we have that accident (or almost-accident).

My big problem is working too fast.

I hired a friend of mine to put up my vinyl fence. He's an older guy, and he warned me that he works slow. He did, but he did the fence perfectly, and didn't have even the slightest injury, and made no mistakes. I need to take a lesson from him. Even when he came with the load of cement bags. He was unloading them all, nice and slow. Me, I came out to help and went like a madman. He was like "you're gonna end up hurt! Slow down, what's the hurry?". He's right. We took our time, BS'd and the job was done soon enough. And I didn't pull my back muscles like I certainly would have if I kept up the rate I was running.

So there's another vote for "slow down!". Every injury I have endured was from working too fast.
CoogarXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #9
Gautama

One thing I am careful about is never leaving batteries charging unattended. Too many stories of something going wrong and it starting a fire. I leave the charger on the kitchen counter where it would be difficult for anything to ignite if it gets too hot. I never leave batteries charging if I'm not at home.
Gautama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #10
ChaseDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautama View Post
One thing I am careful about is never leaving batteries charging unattended. Too many stories of something going wrong and it starting a fire. I leave the charger on the kitchen counter where it would be difficult for anything to ignite if it gets too hot. I never leave batteries charging if I'm not at home.
This is an excellent tip that many people don't think about. I use ecigs to quit smoking and its great, but I use some big ecigs that take big batteries. Lithium Ion 18650's and such. Any Li-Ion battery can go bad and explode, even in your cellphone. Samsung is recalling their brand new Note 7 smartphone right now because of explosions.

So when charging batteries AT LEAST put them in the middle of something not flammable if leaving them alone. I put mine in the middle of my 6'x4' granite countertop with nothing else on it, inside a metal container, when charging ecig cells.

They sell li-on charging bags for cheap too that RC car people use with success as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynamite-Li-P.../dp/B002JSV4LU

also if carrying batteries i always use a battery case so they don't short in my pocket/bag/etc

https://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Batt.../dp/B007Q6PJO8

big li-ion batteries can cause a very big bang and a lot of damage. be careful.
ChaseDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:23 PM   #11
drivesitfar

Guat and Chase: to add to the battery safety don't throw screwdrivers or wrenches into something metal into a tool bag with rechargable batteries in it. i've heard of way too many fires started this wan and maybe Chase's links shows some.

also i did put a little 9volt battery in a pocket out of a Versaclimber and when my pocket started to get hot i remembered reading a thread on GJ about somebody almost blowing his nuts off with one so while i was driving i pulled it out and threw it on the passenger floor rubber mat and it popped (mini explosion) before i stopped and threw it out. if the coins had stayed on the battery much longer i'd hate to know what the inside of an emergency room might have looked like.

ALL: keep up the great stuff and i agree that most of the time we all need to learn from our mistakes, but it might not hurt to pass on some knowledge to those that don't want to learn that way.

cheers

Old 09-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #12
LawnBoy-5247

My saying is "Engage brain before engaging hands".

Personally, I believe in the Idea that no matter how many safety features a piece of equipment has, YOU are the best safety feature on a piece of equipment. So you need to be the one to ensure your safety not the machine no matter how safe the manufacturer claims it to be.
LawnBoy-5247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #13
Corndoggeh

If you're drilling sheet metal on a drill press, have it clamped, don't use your hands. I've done it myself but stopped when I got to see some nasty scars on a family friend when the sheet metal caught on the drill bit and sliced the guys finger lengthwise halfway down the finger.
Corndoggeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #14
drivesitfar

Corn: dang i can feel that pain over here with just imagining that spinning metal flying around. to further that take the chuck key out of the drill press chuck before turning it on. try to get a chain to mount the chuck key to that gets it out of the way and also so you can find it when you need it.

some guys have a full drawer of chuck keys and that might work better to ENGAGE THE BRAIN and get it ready to work before turning on a machine.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #15
joel63

I believe in using the right tool for the job.

Slow down and avoid being in a hurry to finish a job.

Always de-energize all related power sources when working on equipment, and

then check with voltage tester to make certain that power is off. No matter what!!

If you know you are taking a chance, STOP!!!!! Find a another way.

joel63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #16
Evilunclegrimace

One of the things that come to mind right now is the proper use of ladders. Always, always, always, check that the ladder is properly set up. Do not take any one else's word for it check it yourself. Make sure all 4 legs of a step ladder are on solid ground and that the ladder is plumb from two sides 90 degrees apart.

When using extension ladders make sure that they are at the correct angle to the wall and that they are also plumb. First, with your toes at the base of the ladder touching the ladders feet,extend your arms straight out and they should touch the ladder, this will ensure that you have the proper climbing angle. Second once you have the climbing angle correct pull the top ladder away from the wall a foot or so and make sure that it falls straight back to the spot that you lifted it from , if it does not fall back to the same spot it is not standing plumb. Adjust the feet until the ladder falls back to the same spot and then you will not have to hear your brown eye snap shut when the ladder slides sideways with you on it 15 or 20 feet up the side of a building.
Evilunclegrimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:07 PM   #17
yamaha0343

The biggest two things I see all the time is eye protection and not using jackstands properly. I've had a floor jack fail while lifting, and no way would I ever get under something not on stands. And especially if you're under a vehicle changing fluids, no way you want want hot used oil in your eyes.
yamaha0343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #18
mjeff87

On the subject of 9 volt batteries.....when I discard them I take an extra second and wrap 2-3 wraps of electrical tape the whole way around the body of the battery, covering the posts on the top. And I ALWAYS store the new ones in the molded plastic thingy that they come in (I buy them in bulk from Costco....). I'm not sure if it was on here or another board, but I read a story about a firefighter that lost his home to a fire one night. It was traced back to a discarded 9 volt battery in the garbage can in the garage. Something else in the trash shorted the posts, it heated up and caught fire, and burned the entire house to the ground.

Oh, and never fry bacon in your underwear....
mjeff87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #19
pcmeiners

"hang those rags outside to dry might be the best options."
Did not think much of spontaneous ignition until a contractor left a pile of drop cloths with a small amount of oil/turpentine on them in my mom's basement, burnt the 1st floor completely, $125,000. in damages.

Table saw...never ever take you eyes off the blade. I walked into a shop while a guy was cutting a panel, I said nothing to the guy as I did not want take his attention away. He looked my way and ran his hand through the blade, down the center of his hand, he did not even wince. Luckily the blade was only above the panel by 5/16"..a lot of blood, a lot of stitches but no major damage.

"When using extension ladders make sure that they are at the correct angle to the wall "

Once I place a 40ft ladder extended on the front of a house, rubber feet were not in great condition. Ladder slid down a sidewalk, I dropped about 10 feet in about a second, before a ladder foot grabbed a crack in the side walk. at the time I was not holding on to anything while I was painting, did not fall but my life past before my eyes.

Last edited by pcmeiners; 09-08-2016 at 02:49 PM.
pcmeiners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:48 PM   #20
bmxdad

Don't wear gloves when working with things that rotate ... you will never get the glove off fast enough, never.
bmxdad is offline   Reply With Quote