Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM   #1
schmoldty

Default Are snap on sockets worth the money?

I have all craftsman USA sockets right now but with the SEP snap on discount I get roughly half off. Just wondering if it is really worth the extra money for sockets and why?
schmoldty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM   #2
sberry

Default Re: Are snap on sockets worth the money?

Only you can answer if its worth it, don't the old ones work? Will new make you a better mechanic? More guys than just me used cman a whole career.
Snaps are good and maybe the best but there is no point in shoving a box full of them, buy a piece or 2 where you need or use them.

Last edited by sberry; Yesterday at 10:42 AM.
sberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM   #3
Teenager with old tools

Half off it's worth it to buy and resell. With craftsman production going to china and the whole thread about sears going down if I had a discount like that I'd get them that way you're assured the wareenty and you won't get China ones in return from warranty. In the end it's up to you. I love the finish on my snap on wrenches and half off if I had the money I'd jump on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"so tell that someone you love just what youre thinking of if tomorrow never comes" garth brooks
Teenager with old tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM   #4
maxpower_hd

The easy answer is no. But the long winded answer is still only maybe. I have a lot of different brands including Snap On and they all work pretty well with the exception of the cheapest of the cheap, non impact type sockets which easily break. That being said I have also broken a few smaller Snap On sockets.

They are US made and great quality but pricey. So if your Craftsman ones do the job I would say let them continue to do the job until they don't, then replace them with the best you can afford.

The attraction is that they are industrial quality, have an excellent warranty, they have a truck that comes to you and they will finance tools you can get today when you need them. If you don't need any of those things then they may not be worth it. But to some they are.
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM   #5
AA/FC

Snap On sockets are damn nice but maybe not worth their retail price, depending on your personal situation. In my opinion, anything that is made out of steel by Snap On, in a Snap On factory is pretty high quality..... sockets, ratchets, wrenches, pliers, extensions, etc, etc... Those items are worth the price ESPECIALLY if you're getting a 50% discount! Other tools such as re-branded items that are NOT actually made by Snap On, or cordless power tools etc, etc, are probably not worth the extra money just for the SO name.

My rule of thumb when I'm on the truck is.... I don't fall for the gimmicky items (like BBQ utensils made to look like SO tools and so on) and I stay strictly with items actually made by SO, in a SO factory. All other Chinese crap can be purchased elsewhere without the SO markup.
AA/FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM   #6
ssdave

Depends on what you do, and how much you'll use them. Personally, I like Snap-on and have them. Could I get by with lesser quality? Sure, especially in my 1/2" drive. But, it's a real pleasure to have nice stuff, if you can afford it. If I had to choose between other things in life and having Snap-on sockets, I'd sure look at whether I could get by with less expensive sockets.

In 1/4" drive, I absolutely think they're worth it if you work on automotive stuff. The strength and usability in the small sockets makes them extremely well suited for automotive work. There's not quite as much advantage in 3/8" drive. The 1/4" drive Snap-on are flat out better than any others I have used. I use mine now where I used to use 3/8". The extra clearance by using the small stuff and the less weight makes them easier to use, and reduces fatigue.

What I do not have, but would like to have are the semi-deep Snap-on sockets. I think a 3/8" set would be extremely useful.

How long have you been using your Craftsman stuff, and how are they working for you? If you do a lot of work now, buy a 10mm snap-on socket and substitute it for your Craftsman one. That should tell you in a short period of time if you notice a difference in quality and usability.
ssdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM   #7
schmoldty

I use the snap on stuff at school and it seems like the difference is pretty noticeable, also I'm going to be in a career for maintenance so I'm kind of planning for the future as well. And i figured i could either buy craftsman doubles or snap on and keep craftsman at home
schmoldty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM   #8
woody 73

That is a very good question that you ask, the person you need to contact for that special question is Dr. Philip O'Hanlon from Manhattan's Upper West Side in New York. I am sure he can ask his daughter Virginia for much needed assistance in this matter.
woody 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM   #9
Hyde7278@yahoo.com

I have used many diffrent sockets i have mostly snap on now but only because ive found them cheap at pawn shops. when i was in tech school I used the discout to get a few snap on tools but Matco also offers student discounts through there website and you get about 50% off. I bought mostly matco stuff because it was free shipping and when you order 800 lbs of tools it saves you alot.

my suggestion is to use the discount for the uncommon stuff, what i meen is i bought the universal impact sockets because there expesive and you dont see them for sale used much at a good price, on the other hand a set of chrome metric sockets are all over the place used.
Hyde7278@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM   #10
M6erfan

IMO, only if you work with them to make a living and need the service/warranty support that the tool truck offers. With a 50% discount they become that much more value attractive...

I have C'man USA (G series), Facom, Ko-ken, KTC, Proto & Metrinch sockets. Ive never broken one and they all turn fasteners with no issues.
M6erfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM   #11
Tenex

At full price, no. With a student discount or from eBay, maybe. But only if you plan on using them to make a living. So many other manufacturers, both foreign and domestic, make quality sockets that will withstand heavy abuse.
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM   #12
B_Bimmer

If you use them, yes.
B_Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM   #13
bcradio

only worth it if you use them professionally AND (not OR) you get service from a Snap-On truck IMO.
bcradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM   #14
gdocktor3

Location: Seymour, Connecticut - poorest man from the richest state.

Does your discount apply to Williams? Even at 50% off, Snap On is more then I can justify paying for. Especially something I already have, like sockets. Williams though, at 50% off would be an awesome deal.

To be honest though, there's nothing like Snap On tools.
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM   #15
popparoach

the real answer when it comes to sockets is no.wrenches ,ratchets,screwdrivers? yeah probably worth it with the discount.
popparoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM   #16
txvwnut

I'll say yes as mine are close to 30 years old and still in great shape, and in use as a professional. The ones that get the most use are showing their age and usage but still grab onto a fastener and not slip as well as stay put on a ratchet or extension.

My disclaimer, i can't believe the prices of SO products now. I mean they were high when I first started buying in '87 but it wasn't a ridiculous number like it is now.

www.turnerleatherworks.com
txvwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM   #17
woody 73

Op did you talk to Dr. O'Hanlon yet and ask him Are snap on Sockets worth the money ?
woody 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM   #18
maxpower_hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by txvwnut View Post
I'll say yes as mine are close to 30 years old and still in great shape, and in use as a professional. The ones that get the most use are showing their age and usage but still grab onto a fastener and not slip as well as stay put on a ratchet or extension.

My disclaimer, i can't believe the prices of SO products now. I mean they were high when I first started buying in '87 but it wasn't a ridiculous number like it is now.
I have some really old ones too and the Snap On guy had no problem replacing the few that were sort of rounded and showing wear. So it is worth it in that regard.
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM   #19
DSLTRK

I'd say only for replacing 1/4'' drive Craftsman.
'
The broaching and detent on their 1/4 sockets is junk. I've damaged way too many 8mm and smaller fasteners and decided to scrap them.

For 3/8 and 1/2" drive, Craftsman sockets are almost as good as Snap-on functionally. Sure a few sizes, like 11mm and 7/16, are really thick, and the finish is ugly and poor, but the steel quality and size tolerances are excellent. I'm talking about the recent USA versions, not the China replacements.

If I had no Snap-on tools, the first tool i'd get would be any of their ratchets.

"If you're going to be working on cars you should learn to stay calm."
DSLTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #20
Derek420

I say no I have craftsman and snap on and every other brand you can think of really and all are the same and do same job. Just about every good brand has a life time warranty and so what if you can't get a USA socket at Sears you can buy a replacement all day long for pennies that are USA made. On the used market you see more craftsman than snap on and hell for the Money you save you can get 10 of every socket used and still have most of your money. Don't listen to the guys that say snap on is a better socket because they are no different as long as you use them right and not abuse or use wrong drive size they will last a lifetime. Also you hear so many people bitching about craftsman being from China now but do you freaking hear anything about oh my Chinese sockets broke hell no just people bitching about where they are made who the hell cares we own and use stuff and buy stuff from China and Taiwan everyday of our life even in the cars we drive and people want to get on a forum and bitch and bash a Chinese tool redicolous be smarter than them buy what works and is cheapest best you can and save money or keep craftsman sockets and buy snap on ratchets... Up to you..... Just my 2 cents

Wanted Dead or alive
older Wright,Hornet ratchets and metric sockets...Can trade or buy with cash..Also a Williams Kobalt 3/8 ratchet
I know someone here has an extra!!also IH international by wright sockets and ratchet.
Also snap on or Mac long metric 0/15 offset bouble box end wrenches. NEED 20MM 1/2 HORNET SOCKET BADLY.. Lol want everything I got the sickness lol
Derek420 is offline   Reply With Quote