Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old Today, 02:20 PM   #1
Brad.Sandman94

Default Help for a buddy.

One of my buddies from school needs tools, We have the same list basic intro tools for a internship. The problem that he is facing is monetary I want to help him as much as I can. The rate we get from tool manufacturers is anywhere from 14-26% interest if we do not pay it off before school is over we pay interest. As of right now he does not have the means for many tools. I have been searching cl and ebay but getting everything we all need is becoming a challenge.

The question I have is what would be a good way to help him acquire the equipment he needs without bankrupting him or trashing his credit? If their is a loan system he can use to buy what he needs and is generous towards students with lacking funds for the correct tools all the help is greatly appreciated.

-Thanks Brad.
Brad.Sandman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:35 PM   #2
Askme42

Default Re: Help for a buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad.Sandman94 View Post
One of my buddies from school needs tools, We have the same list basic intro tools for a internship. The problem that he is facing is monetary I want to help him as much as I can. The rate we get from tool manufacturers is anywhere from 14-26% interest if we do not pay it off before school is over we pay interest. As of right now he does not have the means for many tools. I have been searching cl and ebay but getting everything we all need is becoming a challenge.

The question I have is what would be a good way to help him acquire the equipment he needs without bankrupting him or trashing his credit? If their is a loan system he can use to buy what he needs and is generous towards students with lacking funds for the correct tools all the help is greatly appreciated.

-Thanks Brad.
Don't buy from the tool truck.

Either print out a bunch of HF coupons and head with him there or find killer deals at Sears.

What type of tools are we talking mainly?

Also check out this thread. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=136120

And this one. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=249851

And last one. http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67850
Askme42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old Today, 05:31 PM   #3
bareass172

I don't know how estate sales are in your area, and I know it varies wildly by where you are, but when I visit my folks we hit them occasionally and it's unbelievable the deals I find. Typically speaking you make a pile of what you want and then deal on the pile. I often find 50's-60's era quality US tools this way and pay almost nothing. This is not to say that some sales overvalue them, but often they're more than negotiable. I also learned that Cman fetches a higher price because people know the name, whereas if you know good vintage tool names that no one else does you can really score some winners. Just my $.02, this method definitely involves time and effort to "proof" the sales before you go. Check out this site:

http://www.estatesales.net/

They usually list in the details if there are tools and often you can see pics in advance.

Bareass Choppers Tech Pages
Bareass Choppers Motorcycle Forums
bareass172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:27 PM   #4
jakemac

Plan a roadtrip to Worcester MA and visit the Tool Shed. The inventory is hit or miss, but you'll save lots of money on tools you can use (and some that you can't use but are just too cool to leave behind).

http://used-tools.com//

Regular hours are:
Closed Sun, Mon, Tues.
WED -SAT 1-5
THURS 1-7

Fresh tools are in on Wednesday, by Saturday the shelves are thin. The truck brand tools are in the display cases at the counter. The prices are higher. But out on the shelves you'll find plenty of other brands (as available) at better prices.

They just moved to a new location. I haven't been to the new place yet, so I can't tell you about the space or parking.
Originally Posted by Fretters
You're a muppet Jake.
Looking for a 4-footed swivel base and locking lever for a Reed 204 1/2 vise.

Jake' Projects thread here.
How I modified my HF 26" box here

No job is complete until you've been to the hardware store 3 times and bleed on it ................ twice.

Last edited by jakemac; Today at 06:57 PM.
jakemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:55 PM   #5
rocket1420
Alliance Member

Here's a good start on sockets: http://m.sears.com/product-details/p...0070921x00003h

We definitely need a budget and a list.
We could get by on less tools, but we don't want to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strouty View Post
Ignorance is bliss until you step into fast moving water.
Feedback thread
rocket1420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:59 PM   #6
whitedogone

What does he need?
whitedogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:01 PM   #7
PugetDude

I'd venture to say the GJ crowd could put together a basic setup, gratis... if we had a list we could try to fill.
I've got a bunch of surplus stuff I've picked up at garage sales, etc.
that I'd be willing to donate to a good cause... and I don't consider eBay for someone's beer money to be a good cause.

As long as he doesn't expect all SnapOn matchy-matchy...
PugetDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:09 PM   #8
Brad.Sandman94

He needs 1/4-3/4 ratchets and sockets, combination wrenches, allens and bit allens, bit torx, pliars, punches/chisels, basic hand tools, 600v 10a multimeter and a tool box.
I already hove most of the stuff he has nothing that I am aware of. The estate sales are hit or miss, Worcester is three hours away iirc, I am looking to spend easy 6 grand on , he is looking to spend 2 grand for tools and a grand on a box so that makes it kinda tough. I am thinking gearwrench ratchets, craftsmen sockets and sticking in that category getting the best deal.
Brad.Sandman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:23 PM   #9
PugetDude

Quote:
... he is looking to spend 2 grand for tools and a grand on a box so that makes it kinda tough.
I've changed my mind. I thought this was for some kid just starting out, scraping together a tool set. He could put together a really nice set of basic used tools for a few hundred bucks and find a nice used box (or HF44) to store them in. Not sexy but fully functional. Upgrade as funds allow.
Sounds like you've both already succumbed to peer pressure and have been snorting the tool truck koolaid.

Nothing like starting your career with a mountain of high-interest debt.

Good luck to both of you.
PugetDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:23 PM   #10
Askme42

Quote:
He needs 1/4-3/4 ratchets and sockets, combination wrenches, allens and bit allens, bit torx, pliars, punches/chisels, basic hand tools, 600v 10a multimeter and a tool box.
I already hove most of the stuff he has nothing that I am aware of. The estate sales are hit or miss, Worcester is three hours away iirc, I am looking to spend easy 6 grand on , he is looking to spend 2 grand for tools and a grand on a box so that makes it kinda tough. I am thinking gearwrench ratchets, craftsmen sockets and sticking in that category getting the best deal.
Harbor freight pro.
Old Today, 07:23 PM   #11
paramud

A grand for a toolbox? Just get the 44 harbor freight. I just took my bike to a mechanic because I didnt have time to fix it before going riding and he uses it and loved it. He is a well respected solo mechanic for BMW's and KTMs.

He should be able to get everything he needs for a base for 1 grand. Then use the rest of the 2 grand to pay for the tools that break and high quality is needed over time.

It doesn't make financial sense to buy the tools until you are 100 percent committed.

Craftman sockets/ wrenches
HF Box
Allens and bit torx from a quality brand
1 or 2 quality pliers and the rest crap brand (upgrade the ones that are used a lot)
Medium price mulitmeter
paramud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:32 PM   #12
Askme42

Better yet help your friend spend 20k then have him give me a call when he drops out and needs to sell everything ASAP.
Old Today, 07:33 PM   #13
FiendFX

gearwrench or ebay for starters.
FiendFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:46 PM   #14
d.mcfarland

We could help educate him on what he needs vs what he wants. Save plenty of money that way.
Old Today, 08:22 PM   #15
signcrafter

Quote:
I could put together a VERY nice tool set for 3,000 dollars. I thought he didn't have any money. But 3,000 dollars would be plenty to throw together a nice set of tools and a box. First, get the HF or masterforce tool box. Then start putting together a tool set. Craftsman socket sets are a good way to get a ton of sockets for a decent price. Then piece together the rest with HF or sears or ebay or amazon or tooltopia.

I don't remember you stating what type of mechanics you are going to be? Working on autos?
signcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:23 PM   #16
rapid robert

I started my associates degree automotive program in 1987 with a three drawer craftsman tool box and 100+ piece mechanics set, a $20 craftsman screwdriver set, 3 pairs of pliers (needle nose, slip joint and lineman style), a pair of channel locks, a pair of visegrips and a ball peen hammer...$3k let alone $6k for school is nuts...
rapid robert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:46 PM   #17
rocket1420
Alliance Member

If I was starting from scratch, I'd get the HF 44 box and the Craftsman socket set I linked above. Craftsman has a $30 bit set that has 42 pieces (but one is a ratchet, and I think another is an extension). Maybe Armstrong MAXX flex ratchets, but the Bahco ratchets from the tool truck equivalent thread for sure. Gearwrench rotos. Channellock / Klein pliers from Home Depot. Either Mayhew punches and chisels from Home Depot or Western Forge ones from Sears (under the Craftsman label). Gearwrench for ratcheting wrenches, Tekton (or some other Taiwan company) for regular wrenches. $3000 for the tools you listed is more than doable. Several of us on here can certainly make a list under that budget.

Why does he need 3/4 drive?

Does he need Metric and SAE for everything?

Feel free to PM me if you want me to help make a list. It'll start to get confusing if we all ask different questions and you only reply to half of them, and then more people throw in suggestions, etc.
We could get by on less tools, but we don't want to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strouty View Post
Ignorance is bliss until you step into fast moving water.
Feedback thread
rocket1420 is online now   Reply With Quote