Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2017, 09:30 PM   #1
Fender1325

Default Moderately Priced Wrench Set

I have rounded one too many nuts in the past few days with my chinese craftsman wrench set. Also, the convenient carry case broke too.

I cant warrant spending snap on prices but I need something that bites down on rusty fasteners strong. I really want ones that have those "teeth" in them. I used my buddys matco's that have that feature and it DOES make a real difference.

Does gearwrench make a good set that has the teeth? I saw a really affordable gearwrench set in Sears but it was smooth and kinda cheesy lobster claws like my craftsman.
Fender1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
KnurledNut

Default Re: Moderately Priced Wrench Set

WrightGrip out of your budget?
KnurledNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-15-2017, 09:37 PM   #3
jumbojak

Check out NAPA's Carlyle wrenches if you want that type of open end. If I remember correctly they have a deal going and their wrenches are liked on this board. I don't have any carlyle wrenches but the sockets of theirs I have are pretty nice and the 1/4" ratchet is excellent. Another option might be Wright. The wright's might even be had more cheaply depending on how big of a set you're looking for.

I have a set of gearwrench nonratcheting wrenches with their antis lip design. It works fairly well for sizes above 12mm buy I wouldn't count on it for something ghats really stuck. One advantage is that the lack of teeth doesn't leave marks in a bolt, if that might be important to you.
jumbojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:40 PM   #4
KnurledNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender1325 View Post
Does gearwrench make a good set that has the teeth?
Yes. Some of their wrenches feature Surface Drive Plus. Not sure how well it compares to the more expensive brands.
KnurledNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
Yarpo

I have a big gearwrench set with surface drive plus in my home box, I've only really used the 13mm a handful of times and its been fine. Can't comment on how durable or well it will do the job given how little I've used it, but the fit and finish is excellent, and it came with a cool blow molded case
Yarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
PJNJ

Get the WrightGrip wrench set. They will snap the head off a 9/16 grade 8 bolt as seen in this video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phlUppL8mtA

Best bang for the buck IMHO.
PJNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #7
thecody59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbojak View Post
Check out NAPA's Carlyle wrenches if you want that type of open end. If I remember correctly they have a deal going and their wrenches are liked on this board. I don't have any carlyle wrenches but the sockets of theirs I have are pretty nice and the 1/4" ratchet is excellent. Another option might be Wright. The wright's might even be had more cheaply depending on how big of a set you're looking for.

I have a set of gearwrench nonratcheting wrenches with their antis lip design. It works fairly well for sizes above 12mm buy I wouldn't count on it for something ghats really stuck. One advantage is that the lack of teeth doesn't leave marks in a bolt, if that might be important to you.
I love Carlyle's tools! I have some of their socket sets and ratchets and they are very nice when you can get them on sale. I just picked up a 15 piece Carlyle non slip wrench set that goes from 7mm-21mm no skips. I paid around $70 on eBay. If you wait I am sure another set will come up for a good deal. There tools are great but have terrible resale value. So take advantage of that.
thecody59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:09 PM   #8
Tom.C

I have used the gearwrenches with the anti rounding open end, not really any good, the reason is because the wrenches themselves are to springy they just spread rendering the anti rounding cut useless, honestly I have a sunex set with the v cut and I'm happy with it, I work on heavy equipment so I use them on hydraulic lines a lot, they will spread but not by hand, you have to putt a pipe on them to get them to start springing, eventually I'm going to get nicer ones and putt these in my road service box, but they do everything I ask of them and they were under $150.
Tom.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:09 PM   #9
1982fxr

Another vote for wrightgrip, I think about 1/2 the price of Snap On, maybe even less. Awesome wrenches that will last a lifetime.
GJ member #1: "I went to harbor freight yesterday."

GJ member #2: "On purpose?"
1982fxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:16 PM   #10
T45

Quote:
A 15 piece Carlyle non slip wrench set that goes from 7mm-21mm no skips. I paid around $70 on eBay.
Carlyle is a good choice...Its pretty easy to spend over $100-125 on so-called budget friendly tool brands (like sk, wright, proto etc). I'd personally find a tool you like and a budget you can afford and then buy as many wrenches in the better tools as your budget allows. That might be a 7 piece snap on set (used), or a 10 piece Stahlwille set (on sale), maybe some used bonney (check ebay or cL)...or whatever one decides is their favorite shape/ tool....all those are around/$100 as well if you shop around. The most important sizes to get correct are 10-17mm; the larger sizes are usually much less of a problem for a bunch of reasons.
T45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:28 PM   #11
Fender1325

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sorry to hear the gearwrench non slip ones spread. I plan on buying their xp120 ratchets and socket set. I've felt those in advance Auto and those ratchets feel almost like snap on. They feel great.

Sounds like wright grip are something to consider.

I don't care about the fastener. I want no spread and BITE.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #12
Fender1325

Those Carlyle with the teeth look great too. I need to price out an sae combination wrench set
Old 06-15-2017, 10:34 PM   #13
Fender1325

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CHQCWL1211

That's a great price. I'm going to research them more.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:48 PM   #14
LORDDiESEL

Proto has anti-slip as well. It's very reasonably priced, as well as way above gearwrench in terms of quality.
LORDDiESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:05 PM   #15
thecody59

Quote:
Originally Posted by T45 View Post
Carlyle is a good choice...Its pretty easy to spend over $100-125 on so-called budget friendly tool brands (like sk, wright, proto etc). I'd personally find a tool you like and a budget you can afford and then buy as many wrenches in the better tools as your budget allows. That might be a 7 piece snap on set (used), or a 10 piece Stahlwille set (on sale), maybe some used bonney (check ebay or cL)...or whatever one decides is their favorite shape/ tool....all those are around/$100 as well if you shop around. The most important sizes to get correct are 10-17mm; the larger sizes are usually much less of a problem for a bunch of reasons.
I already have a snap-on flank drive plus metric wrench set! I paid $100 for it which was a very good deal. I just couldn't resist when the carlyle set came up on eBay. It will be my backup set and it has 5 more wrench sizes then my snap-on set.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:09 PM   #16
thecody59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender1325 View Post
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CHQCWL1211

That's a great price. I'm going to research them more.
If you want one that will be really easy to warranty the carlyle wrenches are the way to go! There are napa stores everywhere so as long as they have the carlyle tools you can warranty them at that store. If you want usa made i would go with wright. I have usa made and Taiwan made tools. As long as they are high quality which carlyle tools are they go in my box.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:11 PM   #17
Moparman390

FYI

Craftsman = Apex
Gearwrench = Apex

Probably roll off the same production line.
Moparman390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:22 PM   #18
xjfish

I have an "Allen" branded wrench set for at home I use a ton. Not chrome, good quality, bought them cheapish at Menards a few years ago... Are these still available somewhere? If so, I would highly recommend, otherwise Apex/Gearwrench is a good option...
xjfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:31 AM   #19
d.mcfarland

In my opinion there are only 2 tiers of wrenches. Cheap and expensive. IF you round off bolts with the cheap ones then you need the expensive ones.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:41 AM   #20
Wamsutta

Toptul. People are always forgetting about Toptul.

Wamsutta is offline   Reply With Quote