Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM   #1
SuzukiGS750EZ

Default Help me organize please!

I had a thread on wanting to purchase a new cart to supplement my toolbox space. A lot of you told me I simply need to organize better. I'd like to get your opinions on pre-made toolbox organizers such as for extensions, pliers, screwdrivers, etc. I'll post up pics of what I have in my KRSC43 in a separate post, thank you in advance.
SuzukiGS750EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM   #2
SuzukiGS750EZ

Default Re: Help me organize please!

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM   #3
chrisnazzy

I do agree with some of the other guys who have suggested there are opportunities for organizing some of the drawers for more dense storage. A pliers rack definitely. Possibly some reverse wrench racks so at least one could be un-stacked.

I have to say though after seeing your whole setup, if I was working every day out of that KRSc43 I would say it is time for a box. Don't get me wrong that 43 has a ton of storage, but you are at a point IMO where lesser used tools could be stored neatly and readily accessible when needed in an actual box and all of your most used tools could be more effectively organized in the cart. You have a ton of stuff outside that cart also that could all fnd its way into a full size box. Now-a-days you could pick up a used double bank KRL box in good condition starting around $2000 and up. Look a little and you may even find one in Blue to match your cart.

Now of course if you did buy a box, initially you would probably feel like you have too much storage but lets be realistic.....is there such a thing and are you done buying tools?
chrisnazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM   #4
SuzukiGS750EZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnazzy View Post
I do agree with some of the other guys who have suggested there are opportunities for organizing some of the drawers for more dense storage. A pliers rack definitely. Possibly some reverse wrench racks so at least one could be un-stacked.

I have to say though after seeing your whole setup, if I was working every day out of that KRSc43 I would say it is time for a box. Don't get me wrong that 43 has a ton of storage, but you are at a point IMO where lesser used tools could be stored neatly and readily accessible when needed in an actual box and all of your most used tools could be more effectively organized in the cart. You have a ton of stuff outside that cart also that could all fnd its way into a full size box. Now-a-days you could pick up a used double bank KRL box in good condition starting around $2000 and up. Look a little and you may even find one in Blue to match your cart.

Now of course if you did buy a box, initially you would probably feel like you have too much storage but lets be realistic.....is there such a thing and are you done buying tools?
I wish I had gone bigger from the get go. At the time it was plenty of room and then some. This box stays at home and does not see cars in a work environment. Not to say they don't work on cars, just not in a professional setting anymore. My thinking as well with the cart was that I could put my most used tools in it and wheel it out to the cars I work on to save trips back to my box. But on the other hand, I'd like to organize what I have now. I hope one day to inherit my grandfather's triple bank snap on. I also wish I just went with a hf 56", but at the time I was working and was making payments while building personal credit so...
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM   #5
ryan20021982

I think I am pretty big on organization so I will post a couple ideas for ya that I use.

Get some drawer organizers from walmart for extensions and adapters, they have different lengths and hook together plus they are cheap.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid...nizer/16489590

Plier organizers will make a huge difference as long as your drawer is tall enough
http://www.ernstmfg.com/5500-10-Tool...Red/Black.aspx

Wrench rails that have 1 straight side and 1 angled save alot of room
http://www.ernstmfg.com/Wrench-Rails.aspx
ryan20021982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM   #6
d.mcfarland

The easiest area of useful space is where your extensions currently are.

Also combine that with the 7 SAE 1/2" drive sockets and you can see where your space really is being constrained.
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM   #7
Brownsfan

Biggest space waste I see is the pliers drawer. Get a pliers rack asap. It will open up more than half that drawer.
Brownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM   #8
SuzukiGS750EZ

Ryan, how tall is that drawer? Very impressive organization, I definitely need those products.
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM   #9
ryan20021982

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
Ryan, how tall is that drawer? Very impressive organization, I definitely need those products.
The pliers drawer is 3.5", which isn't that tall of a drawer but hard to tell how tall yours is by the pic
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM   #10
Chevy-SS

Jesus, it (the tool box) already looks pretty frakkin' good to me. I'd say 'nice work'!

However, the BIG sin I see is having shit accumulate on the floor. That's a gigantic no-no. IMHO there should be nothing on floor except toolboxes, floorjacks, rolling carts, etc.... big heavy items that you can't put on a shelf.

Have fun!
Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM   #11
SuzukiGS750EZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan20021982 View Post
The pliers drawer is 3.5", which isn't that tall of a drawer but hard to tell how tall yours is by the pic
I want to say 4"
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #12
bobcatdan

I can still see the bottom of the drawers, no where near full. For wrenches I like the old school 2 piece rails as I can tailor them to my wrench sets. For sockets, magnetic plates, once again flexibility. Otherwise, just pile. A few examples.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1469668581067-1211696873.jpg (160.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 1469668662241288768069.jpg (155.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 14696687615501403221290.jpg (165.3 KB, 58 views)
Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #13
furbis

Ryan what are you using to hold your S wrenches? are they just leaning against the rack of wrenches behind them?
furbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM   #14
SuzukiGS750EZ

So should I get the stubby gripper and the space saver wrench rails? And then see how many pliers holders I'll need. How about organizing my screw drivers? Or are they as space saving as they'll be.
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM   #15
ryan20021982

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbis View Post
Ryan what are you using to hold your S wrenches? are they just leaning against the rack of wrenches behind them?
Yes they are just leaning aginst the other rack right now, I actually don't have all of them yet still waiting for the last 2 to be delivered, but I am going to make my own rack for them when I get them.
Old Today, 12:21 AM   #16
pendragon1998

Check out the link in my sig for a good pliers rack solution.
pendragon1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:25 AM   #17
pendragon1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
So should I get the stubby gripper and the space saver wrench rails? And then see how many pliers holders I'll need. How about organizing my screw drivers? Or are they as space saving as they'll be.
I like coiled wire springs for storing wrenches. I think you sometimes get better density with them than with rails.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14696835175030.jpg (93.0 KB, 23 views)
pendragon1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:08 AM   #18
Corndoggeh

I have one of those craftsman homeowner's boxes so I'm spacial challenged for box space as well, the best on for pliers are those vertical storage racks and the same goes for large wrenches as well. I also keep all my impacts and drills in a serperate areas since they take a massive amount of space versus anything else, which frees up a drawer or two for me (See those PVC drill hangers people have been raving about on youtube for drills and impacts).

You could also invest in some cheaper mid or upper chests as well if you find that reorganizing doesn't quite give enough room. I had the bottom, mid, and upper and I -just- needed two extra drawers for my complete layout so I bought a second mid chest. Now my toolbox is 6' 4" as tall as me!
Corndoggeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:22 AM   #19
acecobra

Hi,
How do you like the Tekton wrenches? I was thinking about picking up the metric and sae set .
And also the gearwrench torque wrenches ?

Last edited by acecobra; Today at 02:51 AM.
acecobra is offline   Reply With Quote