Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM   #1
Spacey_G

Default Inherited some air tools - what do I need to know?

My father recently passed away and left a small collection of air tools. He had 1/2" and 3/4" IR impact wrenches (the latter is IR model 251, not sure about the former), along with an air ratchet, air hammer, cutoff wheel, and I think a reciprocating saw.

My father did a fair amount of work on his own cars, but not a whole lot recently. These tools have probably been used either not at all or pretty lightly in the last ~10 years.

If I were to start using them, what sort of maintenance would they need? Should I take them apart and clean them first? Just oil them up and go?
Spacey_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM   #2
DavidB

Default Re: Inherited some air tools - what do I need to know?

I'd oil them up and go. If they give you problems you can look into cleaning them.
Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM   #3
L.Cheapo

First, sorry to hear about your dad.

Second, if it were me, I'd use a couple drops of air tool oil into the air inlet of each tool and run them for a bit. I wouldn't take anything apart unless the simplest method failed. Honestly, unless they were underwater or already broken, they'll probably work just fine.
L.Cheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM   #4
Schurkey

Check the tools for a small dimple having a check-valve in the center. Any number of air tools--impact wrenches primarily--have a tiny grease fitting. In occasional homeowner use, greasing once a year is probably fine.

No, I would not take the tools apart for "cleaning". Lube as needed, apply air via high-flow couplers and plugs and suitable air hose, and have fun.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM   #5
coljar

3 drops of Marvel mystery oil down the air fitting into the tool every other time you use it and you're good to go. Some of mine are 40 years old and still going strong. I use an old Loctite bottle that I cleaned out for the oil dropper.

Vintage barber pole restoration.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=319517
coljar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM   #6
M_George

If you've never used air tools before. You can find some very good primers on You Tube.
M_George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM   #7
lilredex

Air tool MMO comes in small dispensing bottles like the one shown and also with regular MMO in the "Flip Spout" version.

For Canadians around here, I got my MMO in those bottles at Steel City Surplus in Hamilton.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MMO Air Tool Oil.jpg (46.3 KB, 12 views)
lilredex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:02 PM   #8
Spacey_G

Thanks for the advice. I'll just lubricate and see how the rest of the air system is set up.

I have no experience with air tools and I'll definitely watch some videos first. Maybe set up some kind of test piece to get a feel for how they behave before I start snapping bolts on my car.
Spacey_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:52 PM   #9
skruft

Just be careful and read or view instructions for each type, like do not activate air hammer unless bit is against something.
skruft is offline   Reply With Quote