Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM   #1
will gilmore

Default french fit, shadowing, FOD. tool outline with scanner

I just got this new (to me) 18" caliper with no case.

Scanned it.

Traced it manually. If I did this for a bunch of wrenches or something I would look into auto trace. Would need a different color background on the scanner.

Test with .1" extra all around which seems too loose.

I need to find a big piece of plastic before I go any further so I haven't thought about tool diameters or ball noses or anything like that.

It would be awesome if we could put together a library of drawings for different tools.
will gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #2
WildBuckwheat

Default Re: french fit, shadowing, FOD. tool outline with scanner

I wanted to do this with wrenches. For some reason everyone seems to organize their wrenches so they have one of every size. I don't know about you guys but I usually need two of the same size at the same time. So I wanted to create a wood or plastic insert in which the wrenches sit 2 high on top of each other. I have a little CNC mill to mill out the pockets.

After hours of effing around in CAD, trying raster to vector converters, and trying to cheat with just generic round shapes on the ends of sticks I gave up.

If someone knows how to "autotrace" please share.
WildBuckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #3
rsanter

Default Re: french fit, shadowing, FOD. tool outline with scanner

I have my wrenches stacked two and three deep in foam. Saves a ton of space.
I used an exacto knife that I just ran around the wrenches and then went the depth I needed. Didn't take too long

Bob