Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
TOOL FANATIK

Default I am sick of the MILWAUKEE HYPE!

Everyone and their mother is on this Milwaukee wave and it makes me ill. Every other brand is just for homeowners, but Milwaukee is for the pros. Nevermind Milwaukee gets all the endcap space and all the display setups at the big box stores along with ryobi. Do not get me wrong they are great tools and are awesome. But they are not the best at everything. They have pros and cons. Dewalt has pros and cons. Makita and Bosch have pros and cons. They are all great tools. Milwaukee is not in a class of its own!
Old 11-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
larry_g

Default Re: I am sick of the MILWAUKEE HYPE!

Its tough to be sick. Give it some time and you'll get better.

lg
no neat sig line

Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
stikman56

Kind of like Snap-On hand tools and Stihl chain saws, I guess. There's plenty of other great options out there, I have had them and still have them myself, but there is always the fan crowd with the blinders on, I think. I'm sure Milwaukee is excellent, but I still have my Snap-On cordless stuff and am content with all of it.
stikman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
CNGsaves

What brand of T-shirt are you wearing with your favorite tool ??

Am I sensing bit of market anguish that Mw brand beat out your company to endcap sales ??
CNGsaves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
TOOL FANATIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
Its tough to be sick. Give it some time and you'll get better.

lg
no neat sig line
Yea when the hype dies down. It is the same with everything, people have a habit of blindly following the masses...It's ok, I'm only sick when I get on here, then I go and grab a hold of one of my Dewalt tools. All better!
Old 11-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
Tronyadorable

Their warranty, along with Ridgids, ARE in a class of their own. Most all of what all those companies share in common is they make a few really decent tools........and a whole lot of useless JUNK too !
Old 11-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
Ign

Actually OP just like football teams things ebb and flow. Who woulda thunk the Seahawks could ever do anything?

My point is 10 years ago it was Dewalt, Dewalt, Dewalt. Milwaukee was difficult to even find in Home Depot. Seriously.

But Milwaukee has done two things:
1) DRASTICALLY and AGGRESSIVELY expanded their tool line-up with lots of innovative tools and power options. Not only do they have the normal fare, they've also got exotic stuff like the thermal imager and ForceLogic crimping tools, and trade specific test & measure tools, plumbing tools (copper pipe and PEX cutter), and were the first to bring out heated gear.
2)they're clearly throwing a lot of $ at Home Depot for product placement, but can you blame them? No more than you can blame an NFL team for offering a star quarterback millions a year. It's capitalism, it's advertising, it's how our system works. Plus most companies are chasing Milwaukee reactively rather than being first to market w innovative tools offensively.

You're just peeved 'cause your team isn't winning right now, but wait -- your time will come. I was mail-ordering Milwaukee when no one recognized them, and I'm prepared for that time to come again eventually.
Ign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
Ign

Furthermore rather than pouting by crashing the Milwaukee Addiction thread and starting threads like this one, why not selectively choose what you read (no one makes you enter a Milwaukee thread) and instead start POSITIVE threads about YOUR brand?? You can post about the yellow tools you like, or start your own DeWalt addiction thread. Other yellow tool fans will follow.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
sac02

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL FANATIK View Post
Everyone and their mother is on this Milwaukee wave and it makes me ill. Every other brand is just for homeowners, but Milwaukee is for the pros. Nevermind Milwaukee gets all the endcap space and all the display setups at the big box stores along with ryobi. Do not get me wrong they are great tools and are awesome. But they are not the best at everything. They have pros and cons. Dewalt has pros and cons. Makita and Bosch have pros and cons. They are all great tools. Milwaukee is not in a class of its own!
What a pointless f'ing troll. Did you really start a thread in the tool DISCUSSION section to bitch about the fact that Milwaukee gets end cap space?

Instead, why not give us the actual pros and cons of the alternate tool brands you listed, and make an INTELLIGENT argument as to why you FEEL Milwaukee is overhyped. I will bet big money you have no actual experience with the tools listed and couldn't give us actual examples of those pros and cons you allude to.

Serious question to mods/admin: can we get a separate subforum for posts like this that are clogging the tool forum? Call it "Circlejerk". All the "HF sucks!", "No, Snap-On sucks!" BS can have its own place and we can actually talk about tools in this forum.
sac02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #10
TOOL FANATIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ign View Post
Actually OP just like football teams things ebb and flow. Who woulda thunk the Seahawks could ever do anything?

My point is 10 years ago it was Dewalt, Dewalt, Dewalt. Milwaukee was difficult to even find in Home Depot. Seriously.

1) DRASTICALLY and AGGRESSIVELY expanded their tool line-up with lots of innovative tools and power options. Not only do they have the normal fare, they've also got exotic stuff like the thermal imager and ForceLogic crimping tools, and trade specific test & measure tools, plumbing tools (copper pipe and PEX cutter), and were the first to bring out heated gear.
2)they're clearly throwing a lot of $ at Home Depot for product placement, but can you blame them? No more than you can blame an NFL team for offering a star quarterback millions a year. It's capitalism, it's advertising, it's how our system works. Plus most companies are chasing Milwaukee reactively rather than being first to market w innovative tools offensively.

You're just peeved 'cause your team isn't winning right now, but wait -- your time will come. I was mail-ordering Milwaukee when no one recognized them, and I'm prepared for that time to come again eventually.
I agree completely, and I guess you're right I'm peeved cuz my team ain't winning lol. But I love the jets and I'm not peeved at all about that...maybe I'm just used to it lol
Old 11-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
Caparris

Quote:
Yup. That + you can get into some of their more basic tools, charger and all, for about $100.. and you know the batteries/charger can be used on tons of other tools that you can then buy as bare tools at really good prices (for the most part).

You don't feel like you're going to have to buy one battery/charger system for one tool and another one for another, which really makes it nice

I had always been a Dewalt fan until I gave the M12 ratchet a shot.. now I have the ratchet, impact driver, M18 high torque impact wrench and am looking at something more along the lines of a 3/8" or M18 driver of some sorts now. Also, I want that right angle impact! That thing looks slick
Caparris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #12
Tarheelgarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool fanatik View Post
everyone and their mother is on this milwaukee wave and it makes me ill. Every other brand is just for homeowners, but milwaukee is for the pros. Nevermind milwaukee gets all the endcap space and all the display setups at the big box stores along with ryobi. Do not get me wrong they are great tools and are awesome. But they are not the best at everything. They have pros and cons. Dewalt has pros and cons. Makita and bosch have pros and cons. They are all great tools. Milwaukee is not in a class of its own!

baby_crying2.gif
"One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence" - Thomas Sowell
Tarheelgarage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #13
GortonsFisherman

It's pretty pathetic that people get all butt-hurt over such things, same as the whole Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge thing.
GortonsFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #14
Peoria Man

Quote:
I was mail-ordering Milwaukee when no one recognized them...
Exactly. It used to be various industrial supply places were the only ones that carried them; and were tough to buy over-the-counter since those retailers tended to work the same hours most of us did. Mail order was IT until places like Farm & Fleet and later Home Depot started carrying them. We've got it good nowadays!
Peoria Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #15
TOOL FANATIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronyadorable View Post
Their warranty, along with Ridgids, ARE in a class of their own. Most all of what all those companies share in common is they make a few really decent tools........and a whole lot of useless JUNK too !
Yea in a world where warranty makes a tool...Smh. it should not break in the first place. Powertool warranties are supposed to protect from factory defects, not longevity of the tool. They offer what, five years on most of their stuff? Dewalt and most others offer 3. Let's hope that generous warranty doesn't land Milwaukee in craftsman territory...
And you're crazy if you think the rest of the pack puts out junk. Either you're crazy, don't know any better, somebody lied to you, or you're just full of shit...or all of the above.

Last edited by TOOL FANATIK; 11-23-2014 at 12:51 PM.
TOOL FANATIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #16
Peoria Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL FANATIK View Post
Let's hope that generous warranty doesn't land Milwaukee in craftsman territory...
I don't see any similarity.
Peoria Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #17
Ign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caparris View Post
Yup. That + you can get into some of their more basic tools, charger and all, for about $100.. and you know the batteries/charger can be used on tons of other tools that you can then buy as bare tools at really good prices (for the most part).

You don't feel like you're going to have to buy one battery/charger system for one tool and another one for another, which really makes it nice

I had always been a Dewalt fan until I gave the M12 ratchet a shot. now I have the ratchet, impact driver, M18 high torque impact wrench and am looking at something more along the lines of a 3/8" or M18 driver of some sorts now. Also, I want that right angle impact! That thing looks slick
Yep, a lot of people are switching and not just 'cause of hype; it's because they TRIED the tools and LIKED them. Isn't that consumerism at its best??
Old 11-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #18
Bigblue&Goldie

Cordless tools aren't like hand tools where it might make sense to mix and match various brands. Why buy a Milwaukee impact, Dewalt drill, and Makita saw when none of the batteries or chargers are interchangeable? Milwaukee has arguably the best overall product line, so they are king of the pile right now. They may not be the best at everything, but everything is pretty good.
Bigblue&Goldie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #19
CNGsaves

Yellow T-Shirt . . . . . I knew it !!

You're a DeWalt whiner. Come on.

Maybe what's really coming is further degradation of DeWalt into Black & Decker territory where stuff is junk but has the DeWalt name on it . . . akin to fall-off in quality of B&D.
CNGsaves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #20
TOOL FANATIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac02 View Post
What a pointless f'ing troll. Did you really start a thread in the tool DISCUSSION section to bitch about the fact that Milwaukee gets end cap space?

Instead, why not give us the actual pros and cons of the alternate tool brands you listed, and make an INTELLIGENT argument as to why you FEEL Milwaukee is overhyped. I will bet big money you have no actual experience with the tools listed and couldn't give us actual examples of those pros and cons you allude to.

Serious question to mods/admin: can we get a separate subforum for posts like this that are clogging the tool forum? Call it "Circlejerk". All the "HF sucks!", "No, Snap-On sucks!" BS can have its own place and we can actually talk about tools in this forum.
I have experience with dewalt. Milwaukee. Makita. All are the same. If you want to have a comparison test go to you tube. I don't have the time for that. This thread was created after I saw the very biased advice Milwaukee fans were giving to a guy who was asking about going dewalt. I will say again Milwaukee makes great tools. But alot of you blind followers get fooled by marketing strategies. You walk onto hd and all you see is red and black and become hypnotized. This is a problem with you fans who think Milwaukee is the best thing and nothing else matters...and offer unfair advice to those seeking it. And let's calm down with the anxiety and disrespect, this is not facebook.

Tags
gay