Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2014, 12:47 AM   #1
marlinspike

Default GOOD cordless drill?

I need a cordless drill. I'm willing to pay for quality. It's more likely to be used in the garage than in carpentry, but it needs to do both. What should I get? Metabo? Festool? Something else?
marlinspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:59 AM   #2
spoon671

Default Re: GOOD cordless drill?

Milwaukee.
spoon671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-30-2014, 01:04 AM   #3
aaronrkelly

Ive been using Ryobi stuff and so far its very up to the task, budget friendly with tons of tool options if you choose to pick up a few more to go with the "system".
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:13 AM   #4
gagreen

Milwaukee
gagreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:15 AM   #5
JMSVIDEOPRODUCTIONS

For 20 years I bought the Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch etc. Spent hundreds of dollars every time...Then one day my wife gave me a Ryobi 18v cordless for a stocking stuffer that she bought at Home Depot during the Christmas blitz for $39.95. I thought I would put in the hal closet and use it for little jobs inside the house...well It never made it inside. I used it out in the shop a few times and i swear it's as tough and reliable as most any cordless drill five times the price! the batteries last great for ni-cad type(this is the big black batteries and the blue drill not the newer green drill with the lithium batts) I honestly can say i was truly impressed and very surprised! So impressed in fact I now have about four drills of various sizes, both 3/8" and 1/2" Ryobni cordless impacts, the 7" circle saw and the Recip saw - all 18 volt cordless and all interchangable batteries. I have bought alot of these units at yardsales and pawn shops and just bought a few new batteries for my collection. i would never go back to the high end stuff - just not worth it to me after working hard with the Ryobi stuff. again - i was very surprised but very happy to save my $$$! just try the basic 18 volt and I think you will be sold...if not - take it back - what have u got to lose?
JMSVIDEOPRODUCTIONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:19 AM   #6
TheEquineFencer

Send a message via AIM to TheEquineFencer

I've always had decent service from the 18V Dewalts.
TheEquineFencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:25 AM   #7
marlinspike

Which Milwaukee are you guys recommending? I'm not seeing one comparable to the Metabo BS 18 LT (nevermind, I see it, the 2603)

Last edited by marlinspike; 10-30-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:56 AM   #8
wild cowboy

Send a message via Yahoo to wild cowboy

You should decide if your intended use would be more general use or heavy duty type of uses.

Milwaukee makes great drills in the heavy duty area - such as the 2603-22 and the 0726-22 but their general duty drill the 2601-22 is kind of a wuss, and is easily bested by various Hitachi, Makita, Ridgid and other brand drills.

other great heavy duty drills are the Makita LXPH05 and BHP454, the Hitachi DS18DBL and the Dewalt DCD-940KX

the Metabo BS18 LT is a decent impact driver, but not really in the league of the ones mentioned above as a cordless drill - are you looking more for an impact driver?

the M18 Fuel Milwaukee is hard to beat as an impact, the Ingersoll Rand is also very good.

Personally - I would look hard at the Ridgids, as they also perform well and have lifetime batteries! (and a lot of bang for the buck)

Last edited by wild cowboy; 10-30-2014 at 02:08 AM.
wild cowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:00 AM   #9
marlinspike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cowboy View Post
You should decide if your intended use would be more general use or heavy duty type of uses.

Milwaukee makes great drills in the heavy duty area - such as the 2603-22 and the 0726-22 but their general duty drill the 2601-22 is kind of a wuss, and is easily bested by various Hitachi, Makita, Ridgid and other brand drills.

other great heavy duty drills are the Makita LXPH05 and BHP454, the Hitachi DS18DBL and the Dewalt DCD-940KX
What qualifies as heavy duty? The most common use would honestly be extracting stuck/broken bolts. The rest of the tasks are things I'm sure would qualify as light duty (household tasks or at most building a bench using 4x4 legs and 2x4 sides). I just know I hate when I borrow a friend's drill and I get the "giving it all she's got, but it won't budge" noise, but my friend's have really awful tools, so I don't know what the standards are in drills. I also hate things that break in a couple of years.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:04 AM   #10
TOOL FANATIK

I have the Dewalt dcd995 hammerdrill/driver. I could go on and on about it. Im sure its drill driver counterpart is just as Awesome.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:08 AM   #11
TOOL FANATIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
What qualifies as heavy duty? The most common use would honestly be extracting stuck/broken bolts. The rest of the tasks are things I'm sure would qualify as light duty (household tasks or at most building a bench using 4x4 legs and 2x4 sides). I just know I hate when I borrow a friend's drill and I get the "giving it all she's got, but it won't budge" noise, but my friend's have really awful tools, so I don't know what the standards are in drills. I also hate things that break in a couple of years.
Removing stuck bolts is not what you'd use a drill for, heavy duty or.otherwise. that's the work of an impact wrench or an old fashioned breaker bar socket and some pb blaster. Too much torque for a high speed drill. Even one of the toughest 3/4" chuck Milwaukee super hole shooter with 350 rpm isn't for.that. good luck using a 1/2.
Unless you're referring to drilling it out, you gotta go with the tool for the job. Educate yourself on proper tool usage and application, you can get hurt or break your shit trying the wrong thing with the wrong tool.

Last edited by TOOL FANATIK; 10-30-2014 at 02:13 AM.
TOOL FANATIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:09 AM   #12
marlinspike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL FANATIK View Post
Removing stuck bolts is not what you'd use a drill for, heavy duty or.otherwise. that's the work of an impact wrench or an old fashioned breaker bar socket and some pb blaster. Too much torque for a high speed drill. Even one of the toughest 3/4" chuck Milwaukee super hole shooter with 350 rpm isn't for.that. good luck using a 1/2.
I'm talking about after the head has sheared off, using an extractor. Stuck in the sense of I can't get a tool on it, not in the sense of seized. It's 3am, what can I say

Last edited by marlinspike; 10-30-2014 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:14 AM   #13
wild cowboy

it sounds as though you want a cordless impact

the Metabo BS18 LT is a decent impact driver, but not really in the league of the ones mentioned above as a cordless drill - are you looking more for an impact driver?

the M18 Fuel Milwaukees are hard to beat as an impacts, the Ingersoll Rands are also very good.

Personally - I would look hard at the Ridgids, as they also perform well and have lifetime batteries! (and a lot of bang for the buck)

what are the biggest fasteners you are looking to break loose? - lug nuts? - or do you need something smaller and lighter?
Old 10-30-2014, 02:17 AM   #14
TOOL FANATIK

Yea I kinda got that after and edited my post. That being cleared up, whew! Lol. Yea I'd say you're safe with any of the leading brands. Dewalt Milwaukee either or. Id say your choice of extractors or twist bits (if you drill them out) will matter more than,your choice of drill.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:23 AM   #15
marlinspike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cowboy View Post
it sounds as though you want a cordless impact

the M18 Fuel Milwaukees are hard to beat as an impacts, the Ingersoll Rands are also very good.

what are the biggest fasteners you are looking to break loose? - lug nuts? - or do you need something smaller and lighter?
No, I wasn't clear...or accurate...in my description. I'm talking about removing something like an M8 or maybe an M10 screw after the head has sheared off (though M10 is once in a blue moon, normally it's M8 or smaller that have suffered corrosion and are thin enough to shear with a hand tool).

The only other serious use I can think of is something like building a workbench - this is the task that made me decide I need to buy my own, as the drill I borrowed from my buddy could not put SD10 screws through pine. 4x4s, even though I could do it (slowly) using a screwdriver handle.

The rest would just be household stuff (putting up shelves, curtains, etc)

If there were something that could be a serious impact, that would be great, but I don't think there's anything that does both and in impact-mode can provide more torque than the 600Nm of my Hazet 916Lg breaker bar.

Last edited by marlinspike; 10-30-2014 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:37 AM   #16
aaronrkelly

I use my Ryobi drill in the garage to drill out busted bolts and screws, drill heads off bolts, drill holes in angle iron for running trailer lights etc.

I probably use the impact driver MORE though......run a 3/8 adapter on it and I use it like most people would use a air ratchet. Zips stuff on and off with ease.....plenty of power for most things, actually to much power for alot of things - you have to learn to use the trigger lightly.

BEST......definitely the M18 Fuel stuff - insanely powerful if price isnt a concern.

The Ryobi stuff Ive got is "good enough" for my uses though, at a much lower price.
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:42 AM   #17
wild cowboy

for your intended application, I would look at these:

● Hitachi DS18DSAL - $130 amazon
● Makita LXFD01CW $150 amazon ($99 with 1 battery only)
● Ridgid R9600 (comes in kit with additional impact driver and 2 lifetime batteries + a radio $179)
● DeWALT DCD780C2 - $169 with 2 batteries

a heavy duty Milwaukee would be overkill for your uses
Old 10-30-2014, 06:47 AM   #18
NJ Marty

If you don't mind spending for quality, I have been looking to get this for a bit now. FESTOOL.
http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool...-driver-564525
NJ Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:57 AM   #19
Formula

I've been using a Dewalt for 8 years now and it's bullet proof. It gets heavy use everyday at work in pretty rough conditions and keeps going. I've replaced the batteries a few times over the years. When it dies I'm buying another Dewalt and hope it serves me as well as this one.
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:04 AM   #20
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

I have Dewalt 18V stuff and I'm quite happy with it.

I'd suggest you take a look at some of the kits available before you commit to just a cordless drill. Often times, for not much more, you can pick up another cordless tool in a set. . . . drill/recip saw or drill/impact driver.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote