Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default The HEXtension

So I got an email from the guy behind the extension you see above...The "hexed" one, not the typical looking chrome job on the bottom. And while I've never used or even touch...
To read the rest of this blog entry from The Garage Journal, click here.
Ryan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
3baygarage

Default Re: The HEXtension

Neat. Still takes a 3/8" ratchet. That's all that matters.

The whole tool is hex space to grip on.

Maybe add a little knurling where that ring is.

I can see people buying this.
3baygarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
woodstockva
Alliance Member

I think that longevity would boil down to how the "hextension" is made. Most hex keys sold on the market today use bar stock that they cut to length and call it a hex key wrench. Hex bar stock is extruded through a machine (like playdough) and this process produces a softer steel. The result is that the ends round-out quickly.

For a long life, they would need to take the extra step to “forge” the hex shape into round bar. This gives a more precise shape and it makes a harder end which will last a lot longer.

The only company that I know of that forges their hex keys is BETA Tools. I would definitely be interested to see how it holds up in a shop environment.

If you like my videos "click like", if you like my channel "click subscribe".....and thanks for watching!
woodstockva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
Mohawk Dave

I like it. It states, "HEXtension features precision CNC consctruction of hardened 440C steel. The machined flats..."

So, I did not see COO of this...Arizona maybe? that'd be cool. And how many dollars? I'd like to support these dudes that are working for their dream.

EDIT: I just called and spoke to Shaun. Really nice guy. I told him about this thread so he said him and Andrew will sign up and stop in to say hi and answer questions.

"I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going!" -PFC Martin

Check out my GJ FOR SALE THREAD http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...76#post4276476

Check out my eBay stuff, and buy it cheaper here! http://stores.ebay.com/dukasmalukasthepup

"When the last tree is cut, when the last river has been poisoned, when the last fish has been caught, then we will find out that we can't eat money."

[B]WANT TO BUY: SNAP ON SHF80

Last edited by Mohawk Dave; 04-02-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Mohawk Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
Snappy

I've never seen an extension machined that way either. It looks like it would come in handy in certain situations. I'm curious what the price of it is.
Snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
-Brent-

If the price is decent, I'd buy one. I can think of a couple situations where it'd be useful for me.
-Brent- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
Shaun_Logica

Hey Guys,

My name is Shaun and I am the co-inventor of the tool. It's great to get started with an awesome site such as this. I really appreciate Mohawk Dave giving me a ring. It meant alot.

We have a patent pending on the tool and it's an idea we have developed over about a year of yelling at bolts and fasteners under our cars. It really is our dream to start a company that concentrates on unique ideas and great customers.

To answer the question, we should have the first batch in by the end of the month. I am still waiting on the prototypes to test from the manufacturer.

We should have pricing soon.

Please let me know of any questions you have. We are excited to bring a tool to you that we have envisioned and finally created.

Thanks guys!

Shaun
Shaun_Logica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
wvrailroader

Something I could definitely use if the price was right.
wvrailroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
JDon99

Interesting. I agree, the rounded lip between the 12 and 15mm hex needs to be knurled.
JDon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #10
Farmall450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_Logica View Post
Hey Guys,

My name is Shaun and I am the co-inventor of the tool. It's great to get started with an awesome site such as this. I really appreciate Mohawk Dave giving me a ring. It meant alot.

We have a patent pending on the tool and it's an idea we have developed over about a year of yelling at bolts and fasteners under our cars. It really is our dream to start a company that concentrates on unique ideas and great customers.

To answer the question, we should have the first batch in by the end of the month. I am still waiting on the prototypes to test from the manufacturer.

We should have pricing soon.

Please let me know of any questions you have. We are excited to bring a tool to you that we have envisioned and finally created.

Thanks guys!

Shaun
What's the COO?

If it's china a lot of guys here, myself included, won't be very interested vs a US made one.

ToolAudits.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryroad82 View Post
I'm left handed so there are a lot of things that just don't seem right to me
Farmall450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #11
Shaun_Logica

Hey Guys,

Trust me I want a USA made tool. I like to drive nothing but American Muscle (except my Aussie GTO lol). We are working on new manufacturing soon. It's really a cost thing for guys getting started.

For now it is a full CNC body (no dulled edges) via overseas. The hardened steel is made on a full 4-axis machine job so no welded or "pulled" parts. It increases cost, but the tolerances are kept much tighter.

We will always offer a money back guarantee.

We kept the only bevel at the top where there is a 18mm circular section that retains a 15mm wrench on top. The center section is for resetting a box wrench in confined areas.

There are 2 versions. One 100mm and a shorter 50mm.

Send me PM's so I can keep track of those interested when the first production is in.

Thanks for your support guys.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #12
Shaun_Logica

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDon99 View Post
Interesting. I agree, the rounded lip between the 12 and 15mm hex needs to be knurled.
Thought about this, but knurling is only for grip. The hex grips better than any knurling.

I tried the tool with an oil and tranny change. Knurling works, but the hex holds your grip better.

Something to keep in mind though.

Great suggestion. Please feel free to post your comments.

Last edited by Shaun_Logica; 04-02-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
JDon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_Logica View Post
Thought about this, but knurling is only for grip. The hex grips better than any knurling.

I tried the tool with an oil and tranny change. Knurling works, but the hex holds your grip better.

Something to keep in mind though.
If anything, it would make the tool look nicer
JDon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #14
jim1987

I like the idea and what its supposed to do. But I hate to be a sour grape, but what problem does this actually solve? I'm sorry I just don't see it.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #15
-Brent-

Price point you're aiming for?
-Brent- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #16
slickgt1

Ok this is cool, and I can't believe no one though of this before. Made in America would make it that much more special for me too.

I'm interested if the price is right. I have dome something similar to some old extensions so that I can put a box end on it.
slickgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #17
MISTERgadget

I would prefer a 13mm hex on the shank so you can use either 13mm or 1/2" wrenches on it.
MISTERgadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #18
compaddict

I'm interested.
compaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #19
Shaun_Logica

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1987 View Post
I like the idea and what its supposed to do. But I hate to be a sour grape, but what problem does this actually solve? I'm sorry I just don't see it.
When you cant get a socket wrench head on the extension or find a "good" angle of grip.

I can't remember the number of times this has happened.

Anyone work on LS motors and think of spark plug 7 and 8 knows what I'm talking about. Swivel heads are nice, but you still depend on being able to put a head on there.

Also, think about oily environments. Circular, even knurled, get dirty and don't grip. A solid flat plane with an edge will always grip better.

You have new axis of grip that's lost with circular extensions.

Not a "sour grape" if you have a reasonable question. Thanks for the opportunity to explain.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #20
Shaun_Logica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTERgadget View Post
I would prefer a 13mm hex on the shank so you can use either 13mm or 1/2" wrenches on it.
13 mm is nice, but almost everyone has a shorty 12mm. It's pretty standard in every tool kit. Also, much more common to have a ratcheting version handy.

Also, 13mm is thicker than the standard circumference of the usual extension. We wanted to increase accessibility rather than match what was currently available.

15mm head allows for a substantial increase in leverage and torque ability with a longer wrench. Also this retains a reasonable thickness to maintain material strength without decreasing accessibility to the head.

Thanks!