Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #201
Lookin4'67Galaxieconv

Default Re: The VISES of Garage Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoSavesTheDay View Post
Well, I'm so proud of this that I reeeeally wanted to put it in it's own thread, but I decided to do the honorable thing. It just seems like very few people actually look at this thread.

IMG_3155
Beautiful job! Wow!
Lookin4'67Galaxieconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #202
Pukeballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart View Post
Hey Pukeballs, nice job also, I had a crafstman just like it. It also had a bent beam?
Thanks. Yes it did have a bent beam. Did you have one that was bent as well?

I was thinking about bending it straight, but just gave it away to a friend instead. He needed one, and I didnt want the hassle.
Pukeballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #203
mjozefow

Quote:
It just seems like very few people actually look at this thread.
That's what happens when they get long. I think if you have a resto to show off, it should be posted here and also get it's own thread. This is more of a group showcase.

If you want to just show a vise you acquired, this would probably be the place.

Oh, and nice job!
I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country. ~ William McKinley

Lots of Vise Info

Vise restoration Tips

The Vises of GJ! (dial-up death)
A_Pmech makes replacement jaws, ask him!

My Website:
www.mitchscustomcarpentry.com
mjozefow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #204
emeraldcoupe

i need a new set of jaw pads for my old wilton 5 1/2" vise, any of you guys know where i can get a set?
emeraldcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #205
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower

Hey, I always check this thread out. People are reading, just not replying all the time.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #206
BanjoSavesTheDay

Well thanks everybody! I promise I wasn't sulking or anything. lol I apologize for offending the faithful. Honestly what I like most about this thread is that it's such a wealth of information on vises that the internet is largely lacking. There's no definitive book on vises anywhere either; I wish someone would write one!

mjozefow, I didn't know I was allowed to do that. I will make a separate thread for my big dawg vise when I really get started on the restoration.

emeraldcoupe, try this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT.

One other thing I forgot to say in my other post. The pastor doing my wedding is a Gravely tractors nut so I painted the vise with official Gravely red paint. That stuff is ridiculously expensive, but he happened to have left part of a can at my house, so I helped myself to a bit.

Last but not least, I have another funny "before" picture of the Wilton. I think I've posted this somewhere else but it is in the jaws of my Columbian 608. The bolts that connect the vise to the base were on there super tight.

IMG_2841

Always looking for obnoxiously large bench vises. If you have any information as to the where-abouts of one, please contact me. : )

The Mighty Reed 109!
Check out the ultimate use of duct tape!
Parker 474 Vise Restoration
Reed 4C Vise Restoration
Athol 114X Vise Restoration

Behemoth Vise Restoration (incomplete)
Everything you need to know about bench vises
BanjoSavesTheDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #207
Lookin4'67Galaxieconv

Quote:
Well thanks everybody! I promise I wasn't sulking or anything. lol I apologize for offending the faithful. Honestly what I like most about this thread is that it's such a wealth of information on vises that the internet is largely lacking. There's no definitive book on vises anywhere either; I wish someone would write one!
You may have to do that yourself!

Quote:
Looking for an obnoxiously large bench vise. If you have any information as to the where-abouts of one, please contact me. : )
The Columbian you have isn't big enough?!
Lookin4'67Galaxieconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #208
BanjoSavesTheDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4'67Galaxieconv View Post
The Columbian you have isn't big enough?!
Haha! That thing's just a baby. You've seen the pictures of that big one that doesn't have a name cast into it (post 176). The Columbian only weighs about 180 lbs or so.

Seriously though, the difference in beefiness between a chipping vise and a machinist vise is almost as big as the difference between a machinist vise and a mechanic/homeowner vise.

Why do I want yet another one? Because I love the quality of craftsmanship and the history. That and they're just darn cool.

Always looking for obnoxiously large bench vises. If you have any information as to the where-abouts of one, please contact me. : )

The Mighty Reed 109!
Reed 4C Vise Restoration

Old 02-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #209
mjozefow

Quote:
mjozefow, I didn't know I was allowed to do that. I will make a separate thread for my big dawg vise when I really get started on the restoration.
Dude I didn't start this thread to be the only place that vises could be posted. I don't have that power. It is really just so that people on this board and lurkers could find a wide variety of pictures/stories/histories of these tools. And maybe keep a few out of the scrap heap.

BTW, I am also looking for a huge vise. So if I find one in your area I'll let you know, and if you find one in my area you let me know. Sound like a plan?
I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country. ~ William McKinley

Lots of Vise Info

Vise restoration Tips

My Website:
Old 02-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #210
BanjoSavesTheDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjozefow View Post
Dude I didn't start this thread to be the only place that vises could be posted. I don't have that power. It is really just so that people on this board and lurkers could find a wide variety of pictures/stories/histories of these tools. And maybe keep a few out of the scrap heap. ?
lol I wasn't trying to say you wouldn't like it, just maybe someone would say I was taking up too much space with different posts about the same thing. Thanks for telling me though. I had been wondering about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjozefow View Post
BTW, I am also looking for a huge vise. So if I find one in your area I'll let you know, and if you find one in my area you let me know. Sound like a plan?
We both just missed one!! I'm thinking about going to grad school at Ball State, so I poked around on the Indiana CL some and found a Wilton 800N. As far as I know, it's the biggest vise Wilton has ever made. The real kicker is that the guy only wants $65 for it. I called him yesterday and he said someone was supposed to send a check or something today but I could try back tomorrow if I was still interested. You should check it out; I didn't really want to drive all the way over there anyway. Here's the link: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/1579054826.html.

But yes, I will definitely keep on eye on things over your way.

The Mighty Reed 109!
Reed 4C Vise Restoration

Old 02-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #211
jrsndman

Here is one of mine. It's just a little Columbian I got with some other misc. hand tools for $30.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1582.jpg (142.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1583.jpg (143.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1584.jpg (140.0 KB, 66 views)
jrsndman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #212
Dan in Pasadena

My Wilton 6" mechanics vise. This was a Craigslist score a couple months ago. $60 for a vise that shows online as being $259. I wish it was a bullet body Wilton, but you can't have everything.

I have since cleaned it up a lot. I was going to repaint it, but the OSHA yellow is kinda growing on me. I don't understand the lame factory paint on the jaws. I'm going o pull them and clean them up some.

P.S. It's "Made in the U.S."
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #213
Dan in Pasadena

Oops!

The photo:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Wilton 6 in #1.jpg (140.1 KB, 209 views)
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #214
BanjoSavesTheDay

Ya know, that yellow is kind of growing on me too. I may paint the body of a bullet Wilton OSHA yellow, the jaws safety orange, the letters bright red, the handle a nice safe green, and the dust cap radiation purple. That way, no one could ever get hurt by it!!

See here: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/sa...als-d_359.html

The Mighty Reed 109!
Reed 4C Vise Restoration

Old 02-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #215
emeraldcoupe

well i have a columbian not a wilton, oops. bought ot off craigslist a few months back for $25. i still need jaws for it, would the wiltons work or do they need to be coulmbian? it's stamped D45 M5 what does that mean?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #216
BanjoSavesTheDay

Columbians, Wiltons, and even Craftsmans of that style are all pretty similar. I'd say you could probably find some from one of them.

The Mighty Reed 109!
Reed 4C Vise Restoration

Old 02-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #217
stewart

I'm looking at emeraldcoup's 5 1/2" Columbian. It's a bit cold for me to run out to the garage right now but it looks very similar to a newer craftsman that I have. I going to guess that craftsman's are made by columbian or at least they have rights to their tooling? Any feedback?
stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #218
emeraldcoupe

if it helps any it's also cast made in USA under where it says 5 1/2"
Old 02-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #219
mjozefow

Quote:
We both just missed one!! I'm thinking about going to grad school at Ball State, so I poked around on the Indiana CL some and found a Wilton 800N. As far as I know, it's the biggest vise Wilton has ever made. The real kicker is that the guy only wants $65 for it. I called him yesterday and he said someone was supposed to send a check or something today but I could try back tomorrow if I was still interested. You should check it out; I didn't really want to drive all the way over there anyway. Here's the link: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/1579054826.html.

But yes, I will definitely keep on eye on things over your way.
Called the dude, he said it OPENS 8 inches. Oh well, its sold anyway. If you do go to Ball State let me know. You always have a shop available to you in West Lafayette!

Lots of Vise Info

Vise restoration Tips

My Website:
Old 02-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #220
BanjoSavesTheDay

mjozefow, how wide did he say the jaws were? Maybe it was just my excitement, but I could have sworn that looked just like an 800N. Oh well...I guess the good news is that we DIDN'T miss a good deal. lol

Thanks for the shop invite! The chances are pretty good that I'll be going there so I'll definitely let you know when I've arrived in The Hoosier State. Actually, I don't even know what a Hoosier is...so this may not go well.

The Mighty Reed 109!
Reed 4C Vise Restoration

Tags
ajax, columbian, fortis, metro no. 4, morgan, parker, prentiss, record, reed!, rockisland, starrett, swinden, vice, vise, well endowed bench, what an athol!, wilton, winton, york, yost