Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2015, 03:42 AM   #1
E12-535iTurbo

Default My Single Dutch Delight

The garage is a single, I am Dutch and the garage is my delight.
Therefore is this "My Single Dutch Delight"garage journal.

So about 1.5 year ago I came across this website and it sure has made an impact. I've always loved working on cars and my dream came true when we bought our first house with a small garage. It's about 8.5 meters long and 3 meters wide. Small but large enough to have one car inside and leave some room for a work bench. Cars have started it all but I generally love making things so that's what I do, and I have to say that the GJ did not help to tame the desire to make things.

The cars:
-1986 BMW E30 M-tech I coupe. Originally an 325i but I've converted it with a E36 S50B30 engine 286 bhp.
-1978 BMW E12 which was originally an 525 carb. It now has a E34 M30B35 engine with a Holset HX52 turbo. It's my major drive to build my garage as plans are continuously getting bigger and I want to do everything myself. So currently the plans are to build a integrated cage which means I need a lot of extra tools. Most I'll build myself.
-2003 E39 530D which is my daily driver.

On to the garage:
Before I knew about this forum (left and right end of the garage, the door goes to the rear garden):

To get rid of some house stuff and liberate one of the three bedrooms upstairs from the wash machine I sacrificed this small corner. Made a closet.

Ironically the cheapest can of paint was remarkably similar to the paint scheme Jack Olsen used in his garage. I don't want to make a clone so I converted to a different colour later on. Even though imitation is the highest form of flattery right? Which would be deserved in his case.

Anyway I needed to do something about that work bench. I made it with given materials and it just didn't work. So I started with a bought drawer cabinet and made a casing for it:

Which at 200 euro's was freakin expensive. At work we had a stack of new drawers without a cabinet stored since 2007. The brand name is KIND which is a high quality brand. I was able to buy the stack for less then 20 euro's. Went home and to work on a cabinet:

I bought some square steel and flat panels. The side panels are hand formed since I don't have a press. I do have a small manual mill which I used for the slots. It's completely adjustable so if I need a different drawer configuration in the future I can do so. In total I'm less then 50 euro in.

Next was the bench top. Wood is expensive so I went to a second hand shop where I bought to vintage coffee tables (together for around 90 euro's). Both are solid oak 7.5 centimetres thick.

The wooden bench top is covered with a 2mm sheet of stainless:

Made a grinder rack at the side:

And a final overview of the improved bench:

To the right you see my BF20 Chinese table top mill on the three legged table. It's three legged and bolted to the wall to be able to fit the MIG welder underneath.

Last edited by E12-535iTurbo; 05-07-2015 at 04:38 AM.
E12-535iTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:33 AM   #2
E12-535iTurbo

Default Re: My Single Dutch Delight

So that's some history. On to the present....
Like I explained before, most of the drive for projects in the garage is my 535iTurbo. Which should have some insane power but lacks rigid body work to cope with this power. So a cage is needed to strengthen the body. I also have to children and a wife and I would like to enjoy this car when it ever gets finished. So a streetcar with a full cage is not practical which means I can't drive it daily which means less enjoyment. Unless.......... I build the cage to be sunken in the original body so the integrated cage project began to get shape.

Starting point is I want to build it myself.

So I need a bender, short radius but also large radius to follow the lines of the body. Those are expensive so let's see what's available: Gottrikes tube bender plans for the short radius bends and some HF modification set from SWAG.

Lets start with the large radius bends. HF isn't available here in Europe and most of the HF stuff get tossed in the SWAG kit any way so I just ordered the dies and drive axle from him. I'll build the rest myself. So I need to cut steel which can be done with a grinder but that's messy and not very accurate in this application. So I have a AC/DC TIG welder on my shopping list which often include a plasma torch too. So I went shopping and came to this 4 in 1 device: http://www.freetech-equipment.com/

The company is a Dutch single man operation who offshores the production work in China. I did some test welds etc. talked with other users and decided to buy one.

So now I can cut metal and began reading about plasma torches. These cut best with extremely dry feed air. So I need a dehumidifier for my compressor. I don't use a lot of air so I only have a cheap compressor. Which is extremely loud so I need to have an enclosure too. Oh wait since I don't use a lot of air and I have neighbours closely I should make something really really quite and a bit more economical so..... I should use a refrigerator compressor but sometimes I need to have a bit more flow so actually I should make something in an enclosure which can switch between the two and also includes some kind of cooler.

At that time I got a call from our production factory asking if I'd like to have some equipment parts before they bin it. And there happens to be a nice cooling block + valves + stainless lines + electronics etc. Perfect for this project!

So that's where I'm working on now: building the enclosed dual compressor dehumidifier.

Pneumatics:

220V schematics:

24V schematics:

These are the current schematics. I need to finalize the exact pin-out for the electronics. But the box is actually getting quite close to be ready.

I'm quite pleased with the functionality. It has one three position switch to select which pump to run or to go to standby. Both pumps are equipped with hour counters. The air will be actively cooled by a fan in a five meter copper coil before going into an copper maze cooling block equipped with peltier coolers. The temperature is monitored with a PT100 with display. The switching happens with pneumatic ball valves. The pumps are stopped when max pressure is reached or the switch is in standby. When that happens a moisture trap is released from pressure and the auto drain is activated. Also the last active pump is released from pressure for a smooth start-up. The requested position (orange) and actual position (green) of the ball valves is assigned by LED's. When the drain is active a red LED is active.

See how things can move quite slow while I'm building my car.....
Powah -> Structural integrity -> Integrated cage -> Tube bender -> Plasma cutter -> Dry air

and the future:
The house is for sale at the moment and we're shopping for something new. One of the demands is a larger garage or room to build one. I've recently came across a great opportunity to be able to fill the potential larger garage:

The deal is still to be closed but hopefully it will in a couple of weeks. What would make me a very very very happy man .

Last edited by E12-535iTurbo; 05-07-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-07-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
1/2 Cup

You have a great setup, well done, all that gear would make me extremely happy as well, the only trouble is I do not have the room to put it in.

All the best.

1/2 Cups Brake drum pot belly heater build.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=224963
1/2 Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
bazzateer

I have a friend nr Rotterdam who bought an old workshop with offices above. He converted the offices and now lives above his 12 car workshop!

Is he happy? Hell yeah!

If you cannot find a house with a big garage look for one with space to build.

My garage story: http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott View Post
I think the cop made a good decision.
bazzateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:45 AM   #5
E12-535iTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 Cup View Post
You have a great setup, well done, all that gear would make me extremely happy as well, the only trouble is I do not have the room to put it in.

All the best.
Thanks! There is probably more gear in there then you think. I've used all nooks and crannies to store stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzateer View Post
I have a friend nr Rotterdam who bought an old workshop with offices above. He converted the offices and now lives above his 12 car workshop!

Is he happy? Hell yeah!

If you cannot find a house with a big garage look for one with space to build.
That would be the ultimate house but it would be hard to convince my wife that's what we need. My two children would just go with the flow.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:47 AM   #6
E12-535iTurbo

Building a small aisle entrance gate

Last year I've promised my parents in law to build them a nice gate. They have large backyard with access through the side of the house. Their grandchildren tend to escape through this exit as they go on their exploring adventures. The current solution is of my parents in law is to put a large piece of wood or the rolling containers in place to keep them for escaping.

This is the aisle:

Two designs I drew in AutoCad: We prefer the right one since it has a friendlier look to it. Also the up rising ends makes the gate visually more narrow and since the aisle looks already a bit narrow we would better not accentuate that and go for the right design.

There will also be small balls welded to the lower bars to make them a bit safer for our children if they by accident fall on top of them. I've added the lower bars to keep the dogs from my sister in law from escaping through the gate.

One of the difficulties of this design is the two bend bars at the top. I don't have a roller bender so I'd though I'd make one since I'll be needing them for the cage of my BMW anyway. But while searching the internet I can across some guy that bends steel profiles cold over a jig. So I'd like to try that. The best radius is made with a router and not with a jigsaw, I borrowed one from my father and made a radius tool and mount for it. (Sadly it's no Festool or anything so no fancy options or attachments.)

I had some particle board scraps from the compressor cabinet which I cut in the right angle and glued together to make the jig from and fit my desired radius.

I bolted the jig to the floor of the garage and pulled the profiles over the jig.

That left me with two identically bend profiles. Hard work but a great success! I bent them with the welding seam towards the jig (inner radius) to minimize impact on the weakest part of the tube. The radius came out within millimetres of how I had drawn the design in AutoCAD.

Rough fitment and layout of the gate:

Time to practise my TIG welding:

I love doing stuff like this. Learned a ton again and got reminded of some lessons. Like welding an hollow ball and blow-out during welding . I hope to be able to finish this in a few weeks so we can give it to them at their anniversary.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:35 AM   #7
Hostyle

That's some nice work on the gate and the jig!
Hostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:00 AM   #8
E12-535iTurbo

Sometimes it's a bit difficult to find decent welding positions. Makes me want to have a dedicated welding table. Dreams for the near future....

Not completely finished but getting close:

I'm still missing some parts for the gate itself so I started on the wall mounted catch tube to which the gate will close. I don't want to crush the tube when bolting it to the wall so I drilled some holes and added pieces of pipe for support. The counter sunk them to make sure the screws will be flat with the tube surface.

Since I could not move further forward with the gate I worked on the compressor cabinet a bit more. I also took some pictures:

This is with the lid off. The second pump will be in the bottom cabinet.

On the right are the pneumatics I worked on yesterday. These are 24V controlled pneumatic valves that switch the pneumatic ball valves which are located in the main air lines. One to switch between the pumps (upper compartment) and two to unload the water drain (below the cabinet). They are the yellow things in the pictures.

The clutter of lines underneath the cabinet. These will all be covert with an aluminium face to which the switches and gauges will be mounted.

Yesterday was also the day that I realized that this is must be the most over engineered time consuming project I ever did. It's just absolute idiotic. Time that I should have spend working on the car....

Last edited by E12-535iTurbo; 05-18-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:39 AM   #9
1/2 Cup

Absolutely fantastic, keep up the great work.

Regards

Old 05-18-2015, 02:59 AM   #10
Hostyle

That's one hell of a compressor set-up. I like the idea of a fridge compressor. Do you have any idea how much air they pump out?

Last edited by Hostyle; 05-19-2015 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:06 AM   #11
E12-535iTurbo

I've no idea how much flow they generate but it's quite low. I don't use much air tools (yet) so for me it's not an issue that the pump is running longer to fill the tank(s). If I need a faster fill I can always switch to the other compressor pump. But that is less economical and makes more noise.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:01 AM   #12
Hostyle

Thanks for the explanation. I'm looking into a small compressor for some small jobs on and around the bikes, like doing the tyre pressure and drying after cleaning. I think I'll just buy a smaller compressor some day.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:11 AM   #13
E12-535iTurbo

Let's start with the bad news: The mill and lathe were sold to someone else even though I just spoke with the seller etc. So that was a bummer.

Anyway let's focus on the positive: We sold our house and bought a new place. The garage will be slightly larger but we'll be allowed to expand to 75M^2. That won't happen in the near future but somewhere in the next few years. The house has to be done first.

Let's return to the gate.
I've added a simple locking mechanism and a catch pole to be mounted to the house:

And added hinges and a carriage pole (I think TIG-welding is going quite well already):

It is being treated at the moment: sandblasting, thermal sprayed and powder coated for maximal corrosion resistance. I hope to present it to my mother in law at her birthday party next weekend and if time allows install it too.

Last edited by E12-535iTurbo; 06-09-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #14
Hostyle

Those welds are sweet! Good job, and congrats on the house.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:53 AM   #15
E12-535iTurbo

Default My Single Dutch Delight

Finished the gate:

And some close up's of the installation (back, left and front, right):

Mother in law was happy. I'm happy to finally have that ticked off of my to-do list.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #16
zkling

Nice shop and great job on the gate build.

"I'd rather have 1 or 2 quality tools, than a drawer full of crap." - crewchief888
zkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #17
csp

What are the pieces of the gate hinge that thread into the gate itself? Do you have a source for them pre-fabbed? Edit: I just noticed your location. I'll have to see what I can find from a supplier in the US.

I have a similar gate build in progress and have debating what to use for a hinge. I really like the simplicity in those.

Really nice work on it!
csp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:50 AM   #18
E12-535iTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkling View Post
Nice shop and great job on the gate build.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
What are the pieces of the gate hinge that thread into the gate itself? Do you have a source for them pre-fabbed? Edit: I just noticed your location. I'll have to see what I can find from a supplier in the US.

I have a similar gate build in progress and have debating what to use for a hinge. I really like the simplicity in those.

Really nice work on it!
Try to find something like this local to you: www.geran.nl/pdf/PDF_120_scharnier1.pdf

That is what I used. They were less than 6 euro's. Shipping was just as expensive as the two hinges.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:24 AM   #19
1/2 Cup

Fantastic, you certainly don't have any issues with your TIG welding, well done.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:51 AM   #20
E12-535iTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 Cup View Post
Fantastic, you certainly don't have any issues with your TIG welding, well done.
Thanks! The gate is the first thing I welded after five year without a TIG. I'm not very experienced at all so it's nice to hear such positive feedback! There is certainly still a lot to learn but I guess the basics are there.