Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
ReneJK

Default 15 x 24 unusual build from Netherlands

As I was looking for info on how to best plan a garage / workshop I stumbled across this forum. Being a bit of a tool nut and petrol head I felt right at home here

Seeing all the beautiful and very large garages being built , mostly in the US of A, I thought it would be fun to show all y'all how we build stuff over here !

The ground here is very soft since its mostly is very old 'peat' ground , very soggy with a very high water table. The water table on average sits approx 1 feet (!!) below the surface and everything with any weight to it starts sinking into the ground rapidly . Even the soil itself will sink approx 5 inches every 10-15 years so you can imagine that building a garage , or any structure for that matter, has a few challenges

Last year we bought a new property (7000 sq ft.) with a somewhat smallish house on it 900 sq ft (smallish as most townhouses do not exceed 1100 sq ft) and the idea was to extend it to double that size (2200 sq ft), which is huge for 70% of the people in the country I am in (The Netherlands)

And of course I wanted a workshop .
Now 15 x 24 ft may not sound like anything for most people here but remember that 70% of the dutch do not have a garage and those that do have a 9 x 15 ft car storage , having almost double that is like having a kingdom

Anyway ,
the way we build here is to first build a foundation , we did it for the house extension and the garage at the same time

The first thing that needs to be done is determine how deep under the ground the 1st stable layer is , this is typically a thick subterranean layer of sand some 40 to 60 feet (!!) deep under the soil surface . Then the fun starts as poles (tree trunks) are driven into the ground with a pile driver until that layer is hit. On top of the trees you put a 9 ft concrete pole 15 to 25 inches in diameter and drive that on top of the tree even further into the ground making sure you now have a solid pole you can build on and start making the 'slab' or concrete foundation

This is not only done for garages , houses etc but even large office buildings are build this way

anyway , enough talk .. on with the pics !

determining where the garage is going to be

crane for the pile driver arrives

pile drive

piles and concrete tops

taking piles and concrete tops off the loader

pile driver again

piles and concrete tops in the ground

some more for the house

piles and concrete for the garage

starting with the side rebar

closer look , they take the top off teh concrete poles off to expose the metal inside , concrete is then poured to everything attaches

half poured , with some sand + concrete in te middle pit to prevent concrete running off later when the middle gets filled

taking the styro mold away from the inner sides and rebar in place

concrete poured and cured

the next steps will be the garage build itself , which will happen the 29th and 30th of this month
the garage will be concrete blocks which are poured to look like they are bricks hand laid

I will make sure to take and post pics when that happens and will show some of the toys and tools that will be housed maintained there

thanks for looking !
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
madosta

Default Re: 15 x 24 unusual build from Netherlands

Nice work! Can't wait to see/hear more about this.
madosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
ReneJK

Thanks Madosta !

here are some of the tools and boxes that will be housed in the garage
I bought them in the last several years on auctions where they were selling off 'Ex US Army surplus' , I didn't have to think about this for too long before bidding , winning some lots but was mostly outbid

and I bought 2 of these KRA4059 boxes which are both completely filled w/ Snap-On metric and inch sizes , couldn't pass up on these !

Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Jagmandave

Where are you in the Netherlands?

Interesting that you use the insulated concrete forms but don't put any insulation under the slab (floor). I've been a fan of ICF's for years!

Good deal on the tool sets!

Can't wait to see more, please keep up the story for us!
'80 Mini Clubman Estate
Jagmandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
ReneJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagmandave View Post
Where are you in the Netherlands?
Hi Jagmandave
We're in Aalsmeer , some 15 miles away from Amsterdam

Quote:
Interesting that you use the insulated concrete forms but don't put any insulation under the slab (floor). I've been a fan of ICF's for years!
The insulated forms are more used as 'the form' not for insulation purposes. I dont believe it is customary to put insulation under the floor , at least I havent seen it used anywhere here for garages ? maybe the thickness (10-15 inches) of the slab has something to do with that ?

The house foundation has insulation under the concrete to ensure we're not heating the soil with the in floor heating but not the garage .

whats 'ICF' ? , I am not familiar with that term

Quote:
Good deal on the tool sets!
YES !

Quote:
Can't wait to see more, please keep up the story for us!
will do !
Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
CNGsaves

Question Re: 15 x 24 unusual build from Netherlands

Thanks for sharing Netherland build of garage.

Method of pile driving then capped with concrete is unusual but apparently effective for your soil type.

Curious if tool boxes came WITH tools?? You really got that much of a bargain?? How much??

Keep pics a coming, great to see this unique build!
CNGsaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
ReneJK

Hi CNGsaves

the KRA4059's came with all tools shown ! both of them 99.9% complete , 1 extension missing in one and 1 set of inch allen keys missing in the other , I paid a little over 400 euro's ($625 usd) for one and $675 for the other

which I thought was a really good deal for boxes incl all the tools
Old 01-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
JohnK007

ICF = Insulated Concrete Form

It is always interesting to see construction techniques from other countries. Please keep us updated. Also, nice score on the surplus tools and boxes!

Last edited by JohnK007; 01-11-2013 at 09:19 AM.
JohnK007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
ReneJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK007 View Post
ICF = Insulated Concrete Form

It is always interesting to see construction techniques from other countries. Please keep us updated. Also, nice score on the surplus tools and boxes!
Thanks for the ICF ! , I should have googled that

here's what they did for the foundation for house extension
first ICF on top of the piles sitting on top of 40 ft trees

putting in all sewage , drains etc

then concrete 'beams' crossing / meeting approx halfway

then styrofoam between the concrete beams

then topping it off with more concrete to make the subflooring , which is later finished with a layer of cement flooring when the 'rough build' is done

Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
Falcon67

The piles look like how they do things around New Orleans. Nice start - man, you guys put a lot of steel in the foundation.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
ReneJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon67 View Post
The piles look like how they do things around New Orleans. Nice start
Probably its very similar soil , very wet and soggy with stable sand (to build on) much deeper than you are willing to dig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon67 View Post
- man, you guys put a lot of steel in the foundation.
I noticed that as well, also there are no cuts in the slab to prevent breaks , maybe using this much steel prevents breaks ?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
ReneJK

For those interested in the 'house building' method here are some pics
Not really garage related but I hope the powers that be will forgive me

putting up inside walls

doors and windows in place

insulation between inside walls and outside walls

laying brick for outside walls

starting next floor

as you can see there's no OSB used anywhere nor any sheetrock
the inner walls are later plastered to make them smooth for paint, wallpaper etc

Last edited by ReneJK; 01-11-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
LLWillysfan

I freakin love these threads from across the pond. It is utterly fascinating to see how you guys build stuff. Thanks and please keep posting.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...13#post3017613
LLWillysfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
ReneJK

thanks Willysfan !
if there's anything in particular you want to know or see just give a shout
Ive got 100's (1000's ?) of pics that I made during the build
Old 01-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
Dr Dave

Interesting building process. Concrete must be cheaper than lumber? Is there a crawlspace under the floor? How do you heat your home? Great job on the pics, keep them coming.

Dave
Dr Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #16
HSpencer

Thank you so much for posting the construction details. I also really like the house.
That looks like construction work that could not be afforded here in the USA.

My Shop Thread
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=183123
HSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #17
ReneJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
Interesting building process. Concrete must be cheaper than lumber? Is there a crawlspace under the floor? How do you heat your home? Great job on the pics, keep them coming.

Dave
Hi Dave

I am not sure if there's a big difference between lumber or concrete prices but all foundations are build with concrete . Some houses however have lumber inner walls but those are typically less solid build and wont last 40 or more years

There is a crawl space under the floor, both in the old part of the house , that was build in 1956 , and the new extension

The old part has approx 3ft crawl space with a nice concrete floor but the new part only has about 2 feet crawlspace with sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSpencer View Post
Thank you so much for posting the construction details. I also really like the house.
That looks like construction work that could not be afforded here in the USA.
I dont know about prices but since we have very strict building codes w/ regards to foundations, outer walls , fire prevention , inner and outer walls most people tend to build 'the old fashioned' way . Sometimes inner walls are build with lumber frames , drywall and insulation but we opted for solid walls as it 'feels' better and is way more solid

the whole rough build took approx 13 weeks , then the contractor moved out at the end of june and we started with wall painting , bathrooms, flooring , kitchen , etc etc

We moved in on December 1st having sold our other home when I was 95% finished with the new place. Over the next weeks / months we'll cross 'T' 's and dot 'I''s and finish it up
Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
ReneJK

Dave ,

heating is through natural gas (we also cook on natural gas) with in floor heating in the new extension upstairs and downstairs in all rooms incl bathrooms and radiators in the existing part both up and downstairs , the old part has a wooden timber floor on both levels and even though people tell me in floor heating can work under wooden floors I don't buy into that so we went with radiators

We also have wood burning stoves planned , 1 in the kitchen, 1 in the living / family room and a 3rd in the garage :-)
Old 01-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #19
ReneJK

here you see how we did floor heating , this is in the 14 x 19 kitchen

first some insulation plates specially designed for the heating pipes which are then clicked in , then when all rooms are done and heating is in place another 2 to 3 inches of cement floor is poured on top

the kitchen is done with 3 seperate heating groups , each group is 360 ft of flex heating pipe. all other rooms are 1 group each

Old 01-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #20
gibby64

close ups of how yall do your electrical in the walls would be great... I'm sure we would all be facinated by how you plumb and wire with the block walls. Thanks! Great looking space... and I like your small shed.. looking to build one similar to keep the garden tools in.
gibby64 is offline   Reply With Quote