Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
the spyder

Default A 30x48x14 in the beautiful PNW

Figured it's time to finally make a thread over here on the progress of my shop build.

Quick background: Some years ago I started reading GJ and dreamed about building my own shop. I work on Mazda Rx-7's and have a small metal/woodworking shop in our existing 40x40 1860 carrige house. I outgrew it the week I closed my auto repair shop and brought all my tools home. There's nothing like having a nice two post lift and having to do a transmission in the gravel driveway because your roof is too low to install it and the shop is too full to even pull a car in. After I closed my shop I found a great job and started plotting. My brother and I finally decided to make it a joint venture and last fall (2012) we started excavation. I sourced a 30x48x14 kit from a local supplier for $11.5k- which we heavily modified. We decided to build it with help from friends (don't ever do this) and after several hard months of work, we are now ready for concrete. The project will end up costing just shy of $35k and I can't wait for it to be finished! I could not be doing this without the help of some great friends and my brother.

I could write a 10 page post on what I learned, the quality of the kit, the bulls#!$ the county will put you through, but I will save that for another time . Disclaimer: All of this has been done on weekends with no professional help (outside of the initial excavation)- we are not professionals, just a few guys building a polebarn from some pretty terrible plans.

Tech specs:
30x48x14
18" Overhang
16" OC 2x6 walls
1/2" CDX + Tyvec
Hardieplank siding.
2x 10x12' insulated doors
1x man door
2x 4x6 windows
2x 3x5 windows
6" Slab with 12" footer, #4 rebar 16" OC
Blue ridge company Pex kit, 2" Foamular 150 on a 12mil vapor barrier

Fall 2012 site prep.

My excavator brought in 12" of 3/4 minus recycled concrete after removing the topsoil.

The kit arrived!

Posts up.

Raising the trusses.

Hanging the topline girt and first perlin. You can see where we screwed up here by not putting all the perlin blocks on the trusses before lifting them. Live and learn.

The next bit happened over a few nice weekends.

This was our last nice weekend so we finished up the end caps and got the site cleaned up. Perfect timing as it poured the next few days.

Installed the 2x12x10/12 forms. This weekend I will stake them every 36" with 3/4 steel stakes.

I bought some cheap Coleman lights and ~100w CFL bulbs to temporarily light the shop.

I screwed up and told the exscavator to make the footing 12" deep- it needed to be 14" with the 2" foam. Lots of hand digging to be done...

50 sheets of Foamular 150 2"x4x8

Our old tablesaw works great for ripping foam.

12mil black plastic, double taped for a vapor barrier.

Footing gauge I made to check the spacing.

Foam laid out.

Here is how it sits tonight, waiting for another nice weekend and $1100 worth of #4 rebar. I'm going to get another roll of plastic and finish the wrap. It's starting to rain here in lovely Oregon.

Last edited by the spyder; 10-10-2013 at 12:58 AM.
the spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
the spyder

Default Re: A 30x48x14 in the beautiful PNW

I got a quote for seamless gutters today, $5.50 a foot and $65/ per downspout. The bronze color matches the roof perfect. Total is $821 installed.

I'm still trying to find a good concrete contractor- two have pissed me off and one is so busy I can't seem to get his attention long enough to get a bloody quote!

Some fun notes from building this:
1) We hand nailed 20 pounds of 16d nails before giving up and buying two nail guns and a box of nails.
2) The trusses went up super easy with a basic block and tackle system. One person could lift each side easily.
3) Framing is not like metal working, being a 1/4" off is not the end of the world. It took me a few weeks to realize we did ok, haha.
4) Nice neighbors are the best thing a project like this can have- both of mine have been amazingly helpful.
5) A "kit" still can come with some pretty terrible lumber and missing pieces.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
RbrtAWhyt

What is the lighthouse looking structure next to the shop? Looks interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran
You can only get the clap so many times before it turns into applause...

Hit me up on Facebook.
RbrtAWhyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
the spyder

That would be a well tower. Back in 1891 when it was built, a 500gal barrel resided at the top. A donkey engine pumped water from a 30ft well and gravity provided pressurized water for the property. There was also a acetylene gas plant that provided fuel for the dozens of gas lamps in the ~9 buildings. Every time I dig a trench I curse this, as the property is riddled with a maze of 1/2"-1" steel pipe 12" down.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Lobstrosity

Your property has a lot of character! How many of the 9 buildings are left? Nice build!
Lobstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
RogueFab

Found you MARC! Nice to see you on here. Based on the story this must be you. Looks good. Not being much for construction, what perlins are you talking about leaving off? I don't see anything else added to the trusses later : (
Old 10-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
the spyder

Lobstrocity- all 9. We have everything from a summer kitchen, walnut dryer, bee house, laundry house, feasant house, and dog kennel. It's a neat property, but it needs a bunch of work.

RougeFab- You got me! We left of the 24" spaced perlin blocks. These support the perlins (roof beams between trusses) and we had to install them once up in the air.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
RbrtAWhyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spyder View Post
That would be a well tower. Back in 1891 when it was built, a 500gal barrel resided at the top. A donkey engine pumped water from a 30ft well and gravity provided pressurized water for the property. There was also a acetylene gas plant that provided fuel for the dozens of gas lamps in the ~9 buildings. Every time I dig a trench I curse this, as the property is riddled with a maze of 1/2"-1" steel pipe 12" down.

That's awesome! Thanks for the information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran
You can only get the clap so many times before it turns into applause...

Hit me up on Facebook.
RbrtAWhyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
Flounder_Pounder

Nice!
Flounder_Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
1/2 Cup

You guys are doing a top job, the build looks awesome!
1/2 Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Crusher47

Looking good so far
Crusher47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
the spyder

Thanks!

Minor update: I finally gave up on one concrete contractor and found another. He comes highly recommended by several people and I can't wait to get a quote.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #13
SpyderJL

Very nice start. Similar to a 28'x48'x18' I started building last summer over here in Estacada OR.
Btw love the white FD! The 99 spec parts look great, I have some matching wheels that could complete the look!
SpyderJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
the spyder

Thanks! It's a 94 with way more work then I want to post about, haha. First order of business once the shop is finished is going to be stripping it for paint.

Progress today:

We wrapped the foam up today.

I made up a temp mount for our supply/return valves. Next weekend I will start laying out the pex and rebar. It's going to be a busy weekend!

Old 10-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #15
the spyder

Today's quick update" I finished laying the outside edge boards and can start staking the forms tomorrow. I spoke with the concrete contractor, he is going to come out this week and give a bid. Nice fellow, likes MG's. We have a short window of 65~ weather, so I am hoping I can get the rebar and pex down before it rains.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
the spyder

I have not heard back from the concrete contractor, but I called another that was highly recommended. His price was $5800 for a 30'x48'x6" slab with 12"x12" footer around the outside, saw cut, cure and sealer coating, and line pump rental. 1-2 weeks out. Does this seem normal? I know the concrete is ~$3300 delivered from the local plant (I called a few weeks ago and got a quote.)
Old 10-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #17
StupidSheet

Quote:
I have not heard back from the concrete contractor, but I called another that was highly recommended. His price was $5800 for a 30'x48'x6" slab with 12"x12" footer around the outside, saw cut, cure and sealer coating, and line pump rental. 1-2 weeks out. Does this seem normal? I know the concrete is ~$3300 delivered from the local plant (I called a few weeks ago and got a quote.)
Wow that's cheap! I paid $5800 for a 24'x48'x6' slab with a 16"x16" thickened edge. No saw cut, no pumper truck and no sealer. It cost me another $1400 to have someone do the pour and finish. Over $200 a metre here in Canada. Wish I could get away that cheap!
StupidSheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #18
the spyder

I was able to stop by the county before work today and get plumbing and mechanical permits. $299. This was only to install the pex and install downspout drains around the building. When I get the electrical permit, I will be sitting just over $1k in permits for this building. I'm going to call PGE and see what a new service would cost me.

Concrete news: I chose the contractor previously mentioned and got on their schedule. Total was $5500 with no sealant (going with epoxy). The rebar is ready for pickup tomorrow morning, the rebar chairs showed up earlier this week, and the PEX staples should be at home when I get off work. If everything works out this weekend, we will have everything ready for inspection next week.

Here's the short to-do:
1) Finish foam and fill gaps
2) Stake forms
3) Build footing rebar
4) Layout and staple PEX to foam
5) Pressure test PEX
6) Layout rebar, chairs, and tie
7) Finish installing screws in metal roofing

Two days, 2-5 people. Should be interesting.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #19
orangeracer

Quote:
Finish foam and fill gaps
What are you using to fill the gaps?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #20
the spyder

We ended up snugging the outside panels, making some filler pieces from leftovers, and sealing anything else with Great Stuff.