Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
cletus66

Default Metal ceiling....

I haven't been on here for a while, but we finally have some updates. Winter is coming, and my pole barn is cold as heck. Here are a few before, during, and after pictures of our steps to remedy the situation.

The funny looking tray ceiling is the future home of a lift. The ceiling is 10 feet, but that spot is 13. We intend to blow in insulation and finish insulating the walls to seal the place up. Before we installed the ceiling, we put all of the electrical connections in the proper boxes, and we also used grommets where the wires for the lights go through the metal.

Ellen and I busted our butts to knock this out, and of course, the job was fueled with plenty of these:

cletus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
JC23

Default Re: Metal ceiling....

Looks good! I always did like that idea. It's fast, easy and did I mention FAST?
JC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
couchmechanic

That really has a nice finished look to it! What is it called?
couchmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
JC23

Do you find there's more noise in there? How bout echoes?
JC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
stingry

Looks nice, BUT!! If what I'm seeing is correct, I'm afraid that you have weakened the roof structure considerably where you cut the bottom chords of the trusses to make the coffered area of the ceiling. I see no strengthening of the two trusses on either side of the coffered area. These trusses now bear the entire load of the cut trusses.

Steve
stingry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
cletus66

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingry View Post
Looks nice, BUT!! If what I'm seeing is correct, I'm afraid that you have weakened the roof structure considerably where you cut the bottom chords of the trusses to make the coffered area of the ceiling. I see no strengthening of the two trusses on either side of the coffered area. These trusses now bear the entire load of the cut trusses.

Steve

If you look at this picture, you can see one of the reinforcing 2 x 6's that are glued, screwed and through bolted above the tray ceiling. It isn't going anywhere. I was worried, but we maintained the strength of triangulation, and it never budged when we cut the bottom piece off. Thanks for looking.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
Falcon67

Wow, drank the beer and smashed the cans into ceiling panels! That's cool!

Looks real good, interesting idea. No finish work, just cut and mount. Hummm.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
Rich H.

The foil faced osb is really first class....good stuff to help hold the heat back better than the norm in a sunny climate.

The metal ceiling REALLY looks great...I considered it briefly but decided I probably shouldn't....it would have saved a ton of labor though and I'd be done by now if I had!

Question: is the attic ventilated?
Might be something to check it out before insulating.

Looking really great
Rich H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
Rickenbackerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus66 View Post
If you look at this picture, you can see one of the reinforcing 2 x 6's that are glued, screwed and through bolted above the tray ceiling. It isn't going anywhere. I was worried, but we maintained the strength of triangulation, and it never budged when we cut the bottom piece off. Thanks for looking.
Looks like an area of concern to me, too. It may not have moved when you cut the chords, but those two center trusses have definitely been compromised. You'd better keep an eye on it when the snow starts falling!

BTW, where did you get the metal? I want to do the same.
Rickenbackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
cletus66

The metal is Master Rib special ordered from Lowes. It is the same stuff that is on the outside of the building. They will cut each piece to the length you want. If you take the time to measure, it will save a lot of time.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
stick004

I like it. I want to do the same. As mentioned above but you haven't answered it yet, how's the noise level? does it echo really badly when your using grinders or hammering out body work?
stick004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
cletus66

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick004 View Post
I like it. I want to do the same. As mentioned above but you haven't answered it yet, how's the noise level? does it echo really badly when your using grinders or hammering out body work?

We finished just before my vacation ended, and we haven't done any hard core beatin' and bangin' on anything yet. I did turn on my compressor which is in the back corner, and didn't notice any big difference. I haven't noticed any echo during conversations either. We have so much crap in there, it probably muffles any of that stuff.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
Charles (in GA)

Too late now. but I would have faced those cut trusses with OSB or plywood to add strength.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #14
Knuckle Buster

I like the metal overhead inside. If I build a bigger shop one day, I plan on using metal inside also. I'm tired of all the dust and sawdust too that the wood bee's cause to rain down on my projects.
Knuckle Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
Bib Overalls

I am in the middle of a similar project and take encouragement from your outstanding results. Hoping the white metal will reflect light better and brighten up the space below. Does your experience validate my theory?

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratpoison/

When I am dead and gone a new owner will walk into my 99% completed dream shop and say "this place has potential."
Bib Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #16
TrooperJoe73

Looks great!
TrooperJoe73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:24 AM   #17
Red Leader

Great job on that ceiling

I was originally looking into a corrugated steel ceiling until:

1. got concerned about the noise (gonna run a woodworking shop)
2. All the used stuff cost more than the new stuff ('repurposed' is the red hot new buzzword around here)
3. I got a drop ceiling system on the cheap, and my garage is a cheap build

Currently looking for the following vintage Craftsman tools:
1940-1941 Craftsman 101.02180 9" cabinet saw - link
1956-1957 Craftsman 12" Foley-Belsaw planer - link
1940s floor press model 103-0304
1939-1940 10" band saw model 103.0101
Also looking for a 1942 Craftsman shop vise:
http://images116.fotki.com/v693/phot...49_01PM-vi.png
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #18
cletus66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bib Overalls View Post
I am in the middle of a similar project and take encouragement from your outstanding results. Hoping the white metal will reflect light better and brighten up the space below. Does your experience validate my theory?
Absolutely, it made a huge difference in lighting. You don't want to look up too much.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #19
V-10 Killer

Nice job, looks very clean.
I wondered about echoes too. But it's amazing how well echoes are cut down once you start filling a room with stuff. All those random angles to bounce off and absorb noise really makes a difference. I remember when I built my garage and had just finished the drywall. With nothing in there and all the doors closed, it echoed so bad I thought I'd never be able to go out there without earplugs lol.

If the strength of the trusses becomes a concern, you can always try to slide a few extra 2x8's up there through the soffit and lag bolt them to the top section of the truss on both ends to improve it.

"Up until the 20th century, advancement of civilization was defined by the strongest among us.
Now, it appears its going to be defined by the weakest among us."
V-10 Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #20
cletus66

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-10 Killer View Post
Nice job, looks very clean.
I wondered about echoes too. But it's amazing how well echoes are cut down once you start filling a room with stuff. All those random angles to bounce off and absorb noise really makes a difference. I remember when I built my garage and had just finished the drywall. With nothing in there and all the doors closed, it echoed so bad I thought I'd never be able to go out there without earplugs lol.

If the strength of the trusses becomes a concern, you can always try to slide a few extra 2x8's up there through the soffit and lag bolt them to the top section of the truss on both ends to improve it.

We did that before we cut it. We bolted and glued 16 ft 2 x 6's at the top of the tray on the 2 trusses we cut. You can see one of them with a bolt in it in one of the pics. You have to look closely, but the new lumber is a lighter color.