Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
farrbar
Alliance Member

Default Mog Cabin - 50x30 car condo

I have seen a couple of really cool car condos featured on this site and other car forums. Most of them have been from the Minneapolis AutoMotorplex. If that type of venue existed within 10 minutes of my house I would be "all in". This type of product is finally coming to Chicagoland, but will be more than 40 minutes from my house, so not a viable option to me.

After letting go of the idea of a central clubhouse and being surrounded by other car enthusiasts, I decided to move forward on an industrial space.

The unit I found is a 30x50 in a 12 unit industrial building, less than 10 minutes from my house. It turns out that 4 of the units (i.e. me and the 3 prior units to sell) are now "car guys" and the others are mostly trades (a couple HVAC companies, builders....). Perhaps in a few years car guys will be the majority.

The space has a few immediate needs, but should work out great after I spend then next couple months getting it ready. Overall it is 30x50, 16' clear span, bathroom, office, 1 DID and 2 man doors.

The first issue is that the office was built to partially block the DID clearly the prior owner never pulled a vehicle into the warehouse area. So I am shrinking and renovating the office. Will have a couch, tv, desk and beer fridge.

Other work to include paint the warehouse, epoxy the floor and update the bathroom.

I have tried to include a few pictures showing the obstruction of the DID.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outside.jpg (51.1 KB, 545 views)
File Type: jpg main area.JPG (105.3 KB, 495 views)
File Type: jpg office1.JPG (92.2 KB, 491 views)
File Type: jpg jon.JPG (109.4 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg did 1.JPG (97.2 KB, 505 views)
farrbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
farrbar
Alliance Member

Default Re: Mog Cabin - 50x30 car condo

oh..... i forgot to include the reason I am calling it the "Mog Cabin".

The most recent addition to the collection is a 1971 Mercedes Unimog. I am going to wait until the work is done to move my other toys in, but I can't keep this thing at home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg name sake.JPG (108.9 KB, 409 views)
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
MadMechMaster

I like it!

Not being walking distance would take some getting used to(and finding the time to be away from the house). You can always start a business when you want.
MadMechMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
farrbar
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMechMaster View Post
I like it!

Not being walking distance would take some getting used to(and finding the time to be away from the house). You can always start a business when you want.
Currently my overflow parking is in the city (20 minutes no traffic, an hour+ during rush hour). So this will be a huge improvement.

Given that my house has a small 2 car that has been taken over by bikes, wagons.... this will offer a safer area for my stuff.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
farrbar
Alliance Member

So I moved the old wall over about 5.5 feet.

First I had to cut back the drop ceiling in the office. Then cut back the carpet. Then sawzall the nails that power nailed the base plate to the concrete. The wall had 1/2" drywall on both sides, and paneling on the inside (i.e. office side). To make this more manageable I removed the paneling and drywall on the office side. This also gave my access to the existing electric. Here code requires all wiring to be in metal conduit.

Then without hitting the sprinkler head I had to move a 16 foot wall section over about 5.5 feet, square/plumb and then tie into the concrete and adjacent walls. Even with drywall only on one side, this wall was pretty darn heavy.

You can see in the second picture, the white area on the concrete floor is actually glue from the old carpet. This helps gauge what need to be moved.

I still need to move the air return for the office HVAC (now it would pull in warehouse air). Will probably just use a flexible tube for this. Also need to move some electrical and exit sign, install new door (and possibly window) between office and warehouse, then install new office floor and drywall.

Finally, here is a picture showing the height of the Unimog next to a full size Mercedes SUV (i.e. GL).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wall moved 1.JPG (85.2 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg wall moved 2.JPG (120.1 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg MOG GL.JPG (111.8 KB, 364 views)
Old 09-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
AndrewnTX

Cool vehicle and will be a great space when you get it situated!

2012 Cadillac CTS-V Sportwagon
1956 Ford Thunderbird 5.0L
1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.8L
1961 Ford Econoline Pickup
1963 Ford Falcon Sprint - Sold 2/10
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/AndrewnTX
AndrewnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
farrbar
Alliance Member

So today was very productive..... I got the inside warehouse walls painted. Just went with white to help lighten the place up. I will probably go back and add a stripe or two, but want to get murals (if any), and signs figured out first. Figured a nice fresh coat of white would be a good base.

A one man crew started at 7 am and was done by 3:30... glad I outsourced that. Used about 28 gallons of paint.... he applied with a sprayer and then backrolled.

Tomorrow I am getting the floor at my house done, and then next week this garage is getting epoxy (my wife said I could not get the warehouse epoxied until our house was epoxied.... so after years of procrastination tomorrow is the day).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paint 1.JPG (109.9 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg paint 2.JPG (83.8 KB, 252 views)
Old 09-24-2014, 01:50 AM   #8
sean Buick 76

Great work so far and smart move to hire out the painting!!!
2008 Santa Fe
1975 Regal
2014 Mustang GT

Making do with what I have:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=238537
sean Buick 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
autolex

This is so cool! I'm interested to see what you do with the Inner warehouse finished space.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
autolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
farrbar
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolex View Post
This is so cool! I'm interested to see what you do with the Inner warehouse finished space.
In the short term, epoxy the floor and some basic cabinets..... so I can park cars this winter.

In my dreams -> a mural of old gas station. My first job was working at a Philips 66. I want a vintage gas pump. Also, I'd like to take the warehouse side of the office walls and turn them into an exterior facade (old tavern or bank look).

There have been so many great ideas on this board. Strange Days, Don Long..... to name a few. Long time lurker, but in the past have not had much to add to the forum.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #11
farrbar
Alliance Member

Today was another productive day.... (although after today I can't do any more this week).

At my house we got the floor done. The grinded off the old paint (prior owner), then did a base coat, added tons of flakes [dry], vacuumed extra flakes off, then addred a clear flood coat. Took two pros about 7 hours start to finish (with a couple hour drying break in the middle). The pics are before, grinding, after flakes, and then close up of finished product.

Over at the Mog Cabin I decided shrink the office a litte more with regard to depth. Specifically, if you look at the picture with a broom leaning against the office wall, I decided to cut the office back to that point. This will make getting cars in the far back corner easier, and may help increase the car capacity by one. Office will still be 11.5 x 18 when done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg floor.jpg (140.2 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg 27 floor.JPG (136.2 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg 27 floor1.jpg (51.7 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg 27 floor2.jpg (57.4 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg wall redux.JPG (101.2 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg wall redux2.JPG (117.4 KB, 251 views)
Old 09-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #12
autolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrbar View Post
In the short term, epoxy the floor and some basic cabinets..... so I can park cars this winter.

Long time lurker, but in the past have not had much to add to the forum.
Same here, Joined 4 years ago and started posting this week! (finally bought a place with a garage, FOUR YEARS Later)

Nice work on the wall demo, seems like it's still more than enough "office" for the most of us

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
autolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
farrbar
Alliance Member

Some more progress..... I installed the door between the office and warehouse. I also installed a window. I put the window up high enough that I could put a bench under the window on the warehouse side.

Tomorrow is a big day, as the warehouse floor is getting epoxied.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Office door.JPG (94.7 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg office window.JPG (105.7 KB, 154 views)
Old 10-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #14
dubber
Alliance Member

Another cool car condo, love these. AND you have a Unimog, i'll definitely be watching this!
dubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #15
farrbar
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubber View Post
Another cool car condo, love these. AND you have a Unimog, i'll definitely be watching this!

Thanks! I have been watching your double come together, you have a nice eye for the detail..... and I like your Audi centercaps.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #16
dubber
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrbar View Post
Thanks! I have been watching your double come together, you have a nice eye for the detail..... and I like your Audi centercaps.
Thank you sir. Painting those walls white is such an improvement right out of the gate. Let us know how it went with the floors tomorrow.
dubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #17
pmason0

Nice project, I pretty much did the same thing, I have a 30x56 industrial condo. The one thing you were smarter about was to buy one with a bathroom already. It was pretty expensive to put in an ADA bathroom in a commercial property.
pmason0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #18
farrbar
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmason0 View Post
Nice project, I pretty much did the same thing, I have a 30x56 industrial condo. The one thing you were smarter about was to buy one with a bathroom already. It was pretty expensive to put in an ADA bathroom in a commercial property.
Good point, and a reason why I won't do "any work" to the bathroom

Thankfully the expensive stuff (sprinkler system, fire alarms...) were already done.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #19
farrbar
Alliance Member

Today was a good day..... as planned, I the floors got done. They opened up the crete by grinding. When they did this last week at my house they used a glroified palm sander.... this week they brought in the big gun. They filled all the cracks, then ground the patches down, then epoxied.

I'm please with how it looks. Will probably add a little color to the walls, but want to wait and see once I have some signs & banners up.

Looking forward to taking the weekend off from this project as the floor cures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg floor grinder.JPG (98.1 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg floor before.JPG (104.6 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg floor after.JPG (88.1 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg floor after closeup.JPG (101.2 KB, 185 views)
Old 10-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #20
bofe954

Did you buy or lease? If you bought, is it similar to a regular condo, you buy and then pay an association fee for upkeep? Curious about investment potential of unused commercial property sometimes...
bofe954 is offline   Reply With Quote