Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
sdavis622

Default My garage, repurposed!

I have decided to start my own thread like many to document my garage. It's simply a two car attached and currently my Wife, two daughters and I are renting so everything I do is easily movable when the time should come. We plan on buying a house late 2015 early 2016 so in the mean time I am building my tool collection and such.

My garage stores many things; holiday decor, kids stuff, outdoor tools, and all the stuff I've collected over the years. Needless to say I really utilize the rafters!

So here's my style, I love collecting and re purposing stuff. I am constantly collecting, capturing those free things people are throwing away. Always checking "free" Craigslist, etc. I work as a technician on certain restaurant equipment, so practically on a daily basis I recover something a restaurant is throwing away. My wife appreciates these things usually after I finish a project or prove something is worth it. I've gotten cabinets, shelving, tools, rackong, signs, beer memorabilia, etc. You name it, I've acquired it somehow, all honest of course.

Here was my little workspace I had created before I started surfing garage journal. Garage Journal has influenced me to find more free stuff, repurpose it and and start building a nicer work space. Plus after all the "hot deals" and "clearance" threads I've been doing some shopping!

I got this workbench from work out of a totaled Sprinter van a guy wrecked. I recovered the workbench and cleaned it up. It worked out for a short time. I added all the hanging accessories and such. I got the Craftsman chests about 10 years ago off Craigslist. They have served me well over the years.

I scored all these free office cabinets, worktops, chairs, melamine shelves, cpu tower carts, a cash box, two whiteboards, a corkboard, etc off Craigslist from two offices consolidating and getting rid of stuff. Offices switching all their documents ti the "cloud" is helping guys like me with a vision!

I started by rearranging my garage and then painting cabinets. Mocked it all together and here is what it looks like now. I want this space for small projects as well as my laptop and desk area.

My next plans are to make another workbench area for vice, grinder, etc out of the other small file cabinets.

Going to try and get some more painting done this weekend.
sdavis622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #2
Yamaguy

Default Re: My garage, repurposed!

Looks good!!
Yamaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-09-2014, 12:05 AM   #3
sdavis622

Got this free from work last week. Cleaned and decreased it, and replaced the caster's on it with the ones I took off my craftsman box.

Got this printer free from a McDonald's. They were gonna throw it away. Nothing wrong with it just needed a printer cable. So I swung into goodwill and found a cable for 99 cents and also found this cd shelf for 4.99 I'm gonna cut up and use to make a couple pliers storage racks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
metalhead140

Looking good so far!

Because life's too short to drive boring cars!
metalhead140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #5
sdavis622

Now the right side of the garage is a mess. Slowly getting it all put back together. Picked up the Kobalt Tool cart from reading the clearance lowe's thread for $67. Now wishing I would've painted it re d and black to match!

Got this heavy duty racking free from a McDonald's being torn down for remodel. Says 1500 lb capacity per shelf!

Made a two hour round trip with a buddy to recover this last week off Craigslist free section for my girls. I've got big plans with fence boards a buddy at works giving me to make a roof. And I'm going to enclose the under side with a door on the back to store my lawn mower and some outdoor equipment in. That'll get it out of the garage. The girls love it! It had a new top beam and two new swings. When I told my wife I was getting it she went on Craigslist and found a brand new baby swing for $15. Pretty happy with it for free! Going to pressure wash it and stain the whole thing this summer. Also repurposing some stairs from another buddy's Tree House project he never used. And going to build a rock climbing wall and install grab handles, a steering wheel and telescope.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
sdavis622

Wanted to share pics of my Dad's tool box he left me. He was a carpenter for 25+ years. I've had it since he passed away in 2008, I want to refurbish it but not sure my plans yet.

It's still full of all his tools. I've never taken them out. Old hand drills, screwdrivers, bits. All kinds of old tools. I'm not sure if he built it but it looks customized. Maybe a military box then he added the tool trays and saw mount?

Old 04-09-2014, 12:42 AM   #7
sdavis622

I'll get some better pics of all the tools separately. Some cool stuff in there.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:27 AM   #8
Ronny

Was your dad in the Army engineers as a carpenter? .That looks like the type of tool box that trainees were expected to make ,to learn how to use machine tools and make joints.
Ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:36 AM   #9
gavinator

Looks awesome!!
gavinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:49 AM   #10
GRN96WS6

That old toolbox is killer, packs a lot in a small package!
GRN96WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:00 AM   #11
amatouring

I wouldn't dream of refurbishing that tool box. It is perfect just the way it is.
amatouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #12
JustinS

I'm liking what I'm seeing here. Good use of filing cabinets.
JustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #13
sdavis622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
Was your dad in the Army engineers as a carpenter? .That looks like the type of tool box that trainees were expected to make ,to learn how to use machine tools and make joints.
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies! I'm excited to get back out there and get organized.

My dad was in the Army but if I remember he was a motorcycle mechanics for a while and later drove around the higher ups in military jeeps and such. He was in during World War 2 but never got deployed overseas. I was told so many stories growing up i cant remember them all. He was such an inspiration and taught me so much about tools, car and home maintenance, etc. He was born in 1917 in Illinois, lived on a working farm, rode a horse to school, and after the Army moved to California and was a carpenter for 25 years before moving to WA where I currently live. Once in WA he owned apple orchards for many years and also an upholstery shop.

Sorry, dont mean to ramble, just a little reminiscing for me!

Old 04-09-2014, 07:26 AM   #14
sdavis622

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatouring View Post
I wouldn't dream of refurbishing that tool box. It is perfect just the way it is.
Yeah, that was my other thought, just leave it exactly the way it is and keep it in as good of condition as I can. I've also got a cool old lunch box of his, his old rifle, shotgun, pistol and another homade tool chest. My younger brother got his old craftsman roll away and older brothers some other stuff.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #15
rrudd2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatouring View Post
I second that. Keep it as is and display it in a prominent place in your garage in memory of your father.
rrudd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #16
sdavis622

Here's a project I had to do in our shop at work a couple weeks ago. Somehow something got into a pump head used to offload used cooking oil from our delivery trucks. The oil is filtered twice before it comes off the trucks so foul play is suspected.

Found this in the pumphead! A plastic water bottle cap!

Old 04-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #17
slammmed

excellent read, I just acquired some free cabinets too and you just inspired me more with your craftsman paintjob! I have craftsman cabinets already and that paintjob is perfect. Do you recall what brand/color you used? it seems to match pretty well.
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #18
sdavis622

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammmed View Post
excellent read, I just acquired some free cabinets too and you just inspired me more with your craftsman paintjob! I have craftsman cabinets already and that paintjob is perfect. Do you recall what brand/color you used? it seems to match pretty well.
Hey Thanks that's awesome. I used rustoleum paint + primer in Apple red and gloss black. Got it at Lowes. Just under $4 a spray can. They also have it in liquid quarts and pints I got one of those as well for future touch up. It is not an exact match but you have to be looking pretty close to tell a difference.

Everyone in my family is amazed at how good they look though and thought I got them that way. And they didn't realize they were file cabinets!

Old 04-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #19
ncaddy87

I like what you've done in your garage and your dad's tool box. I think I might start watching for some short file cabinets to build a work surface like that in my firearms room I want to design - that will give me a good work surface for cleaning, reloading, etc.

I also have my grandfather's old wooden tool box in original condition. It had a lot of handsaws, old hand drills, screwdrivers, planes, wrenches, etc. in it. I love things like that, especially when it stays in the family! Good for you for taking care of it.
ncaddy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #20
sdavis622

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaddy87 View Post
I like what you've done in your garage and your dad's tool box. I think I might start watching for some short file cabinets to build a work surface like that in my firearms room I want to design - that will give me a good work surface for cleaning, reloading, etc.

I also have my grandfather's old wooden tool box in original condition. It had a lot of handsaws, old hand drills, screwdrivers, planes, wrenches, etc. in it. I love things like that, especially when it stays in the family! Good for you for taking care of it.
Great idea! I'll get some more pics later, I've got a metal hand box that was his. An old metal lunch box, a wooden three drawer chest he built, his old craftsman bench grinder, and lots of odds and ends. I wish I had more, he owned so many cool old cars, tractors, and stuff!

I've got 3 two drawer cabinets I'm going to paint next to build a surface to mount his old grinder and a free vise I got.