Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
rustyshakelford

Default 40x60x15 in Navasota TX

I'm having my bride and son a pool built so I figured while I'm at it I might as well go extra broke. I signed the contract on my dream barn Monday. Hope to start in less than a month. Materials are supposed to arrive in 2.5 weeks with construction to being approx 1.5 weeks later. The specs are:

40x60x15 concrete
40x24x15 gable extension
12x60 lean to

3-12x12 roll up doors
1-10x10 roll up
1-man door

Dark gray main color, burgundy trim/wanescoat and no paint for the roof.

Only insulation is the roof at this time. I will get home tomorrow and take some pics. Want yalls opinion on where to place it. I'm torn with adding it a couple feet off the current drive or off to the side near the property line. With it being 52x80 roughly, it'll take up a little space.

I will be using it for storage of my tractors, toys, trucks and trailers under the lean-to. Emptying out the garage of all my welding and fab tools so the bride can park her truck in there again.

Brett

Pics finally start on post #17

Last edited by rustyshakelford; 08-02-2016 at 02:10 PM.
rustyshakelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:16 AM   #2
matt_i

Default Re: 40x60x15 in Navasota TX

Probably for a building that big I'd place it farther away. Not sure what your total lot size is?
matt_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-18-2016, 05:52 AM   #3
rustyshakelford

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_i View Post
Probably for a building that big I'd place it farther away. Not sure what your total lot size is?
We're on 13 acres. My wife wanted it closer to the house so I can use it more as a garage in the sense that I don't have to track thru mud going to and coming from my truck. It would also make it much easier to run elec/septic and water. I have to haul dirt today for the pool deck but I'll add pics and see what y'all think. My other concern is the roof will be way to reflective when outside in the pool....

Brett
Old 05-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
pmiranda

metal? pole barn? stick? That's roughly the size I'm thinking about and I'm very curious what your cost ends up being.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:55 AM   #5
K'ledgeBldr

Post a Google Earth pic of the property- it's the best perspective for placing a building.
Also, do you have building restrictions? Have you applied for a permit from the AHJ? Are there any special stip's to consider?
Old 05-18-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
maxpower_hd

I don't know what your roofing material is but if it is too reflective I am guessing it is galvanized metal? You could upgrade to a standing seam type aluminum roof and pick a less reflective color.

As for where to place it, on 13 acres it sounds like you have lots of choices. I personally would rather it as far from the house and pool as possible to avoid noise, odors, etc. With all that land it would just give you an excuse to buy a Gator to drive back and forth with.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #7
matt_i

Based on 13ac, I would place it farther away, I would either pave a sidewalk, concrete or brick paver, and round up some good raincoats (including spares you keep in the barn ).
matt_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #8
NWOhioChevyGuy

We are on 6.7 acres and my shop (when built) will be as far from the house as possible utilizing a second driveway. Don't want to "clutter" the wife's space.

Dreaming someday I will have my own space

Sounds like a nice shop. similar size to what i am planning, however the leantoo will probably be an addition at a later date for the trailers. She will be happy that they will be out of her yard.
NWOhioChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #9
Falcon67

Keep it close IMHO, makes it more fun and useful.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:36 PM   #10
rustyshakelford

It's a pole barn. I selected the acrylic coated non painted galvalume for the roof due to how hot it is here. Hoping th reflectivity is helpful.

Here's option A. Maybe start the gable extension/carport about 10' off the edge of the driveway. Kicking it off to the right so I can drive straight into the left hand side of the 12x12 door.

Option b will b next to th conex going roughly that orientation.

Here's the thing that started it all.

Here's the google earth image. It's about a year old or so.

Brett
Old 05-18-2016, 07:57 PM   #11
rustyshakelford

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Post a Google Earth pic of the property- it's the best perspective for placing a building.
Also, do you have building restrictions? Have you applied for a permit from the AHJ? Are there any special stip's to consider?
Added a google earth pic. No restriction, no permits. Pretty much can do whatever I want. What is the AHJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower_hd View Post
I don't know what your roofing material is but if it is too reflective I am guessing it is galvanized metal? You could upgrade to a standing seam type aluminum roof and pick a less reflective color.

As for where to place it, on 13 acres it sounds like you have lots of choices. I personally would rather it as far from the house and pool as possible to avoid noise, odors, etc. With all that land it would just give you an excuse to buy a Gator to drive back and forth with.
I've been thinking about this but there shouldn't be any odors, noise yes, but I'll be able to open the door and keep an eye on the family at the pool if I'm working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWOhioChevyGuy View Post
We are on 6.7 acres and my shop (when built) will be as far from the house as possible utilizing a second driveway. Don't want to "clutter" the wife's space.

Dreaming someday I will have my own space

Sounds like a nice shop. similar size to what i am planning, however the leantoo will probably be an addition at a later date for the trailers. She will be happy that they will be out of her yard.
I have a second drive but like how easy it will be for utilities and since it'll act as my oversized garage for my truck it would be best to have it handy. The big push for this is to clean all the stuff up I have scattered everywhere....or so I sell my wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon67 View Post
Keep it close IMHO, makes it more fun and useful.
I went and ran a tape. I think it can fit where I'm wanting easily. Just worry about being in the pool and a hundred feet away is this big shop

Brett
Old 06-04-2016, 08:49 PM   #12
rustyshakelford

Almost done with the pool. Still waiting on the deck and outdoor kitchen to be finished. Got word my shop materials should be delivered this week and we will begin soon there after. Getting excited to have a bunch of room to work in. Getting the tractor back from the dealership Monday and hope to get the pad leveled off a little more.

Brett

Old 06-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #13
rustyshakelford

Materials will be delivered tomorrow. Builder will come in tomorrow afternoon and stay on our property in his camper. Said it should take 3-4 days for him and then concrete will be next.

Made some changes and added the lean-to to extend the entire length of the building 12x84 and also adding an additional 10' door. Each side will have at least one door and the gable end with the extension will have 2-12x12 and there will be the other 12x12 opposite of them so it's drive though

Pics to follow. Pad is done, rained today but good weather is expected for the week

Brett
Old 06-14-2016, 09:19 PM   #14
rustyshakelford

Got the building started. Wil get pics in the am. Had a rough start due to the crew waiting on materials till 430 but they got all the posts set and have the hammers out

Brett
Old 06-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #15
pmiranda

Sweet! What's your soil like? Any trouble reaching stable dirt?
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:36 PM   #16
rustyshakelford

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
Sweet! What's your soil like? Any trouble reaching stable dirt?
There's a bunch of sandy loam. Really wish I had gotten a pallet of quikcrete for the holes but there's a clay base at the bottom of the holes. Water table was up quite a bit from all the recent rains. They set 20' poles and only cut off about 12-18" or so. I think they are hanging tin tonight. This crew gets after it.

I'll add pics when he sends me some. I picked up the extra 10x10 door I wanted.

Brett
Old 06-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #17
rustyshakelford

Here's where they were at 5p. Still working. They are going to have a good solid day tomorrow and a good chance of half a day Friday till its wrapped up. Concrete is Monday. 4" with fiber

Brett

Old 06-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #18
barks

Who fishes the animals out of the pool?
barks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #19
countrysquire

Brett,

Who's building the barn? Same people who supplied the materials?
'66 Mustang GT Convertible
'06 Ferrari F430
'15 Ford F-150 Platinum
countrysquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #20
rustyshakelford

Quote:
Originally Posted by barks View Post
Who fishes the animals out of the pool?
We're getting our boy trained for that. I can't believe how many frogs we have here. Never would've known. Going to make her a hook so my wife won't have to bend over and stick her hand in the basket in the event of a snake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrysquire View Post
Brett,

Who's building the barn? Same people who supplied the materials?
I used legend building out of Monroe Louisiana. The install crew is great. Really happy with them. Great price to compared to local companies.

Brett