Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2005, 02:06 AM   #1
SANDOVAL

Default My Garage plans...

I have been lurking for a couple of weeks... Enjoying everyones photos and information shared. I would like to share my garage plans and give you guys a tip on a great software program. I relocated to Denver this passed November, before I could start on my dream garage I had to a few remodling projects my other half said had to be done first. This included gutting the entire kitchen and monernizing the last remodel which was done in the 80's. This took the better part of 3 months to complete as the majority of the work was done ourselves. We just finished the front landscaping last weekend which took 3 straight weekend to complete. I ended up pulling out a 30ft pine tree which was fun! Anyway Here are my new garages details you can find the images here:

http://www.968forums.com/index.php?a...st=0#entry2128

While we were shopping for a new "old" home part of my criteria was to find a home with the room for an oversized garage. My idea was to tear down the existing 2 car 19X22 Garage built in the 1920's. After speaking to many contractors we decided it was better to just add on to the existing garage. Not only will I save money but getting a variance/Permitting will be much easier as the existing garage corners a zero lot line. We live in a Historic neighborhood in Denver so permitting is an issue that could be difficult to overcome. The Plan is to add on approximately 600 additional SqFt to give me a total of 994 Sqft of garage and storage space. Our existing garage scales up from 10Ft ceiling (rear towards an alley) to 12 ft ceiling (towards the front). The addition to the garage will have a flat 13Ft ceiling this is the area that will house a 2 post lift. New foundation will be poured in this area. I am also plumbing for a heated floor which will connect to the Boiler that is currently in the basement. The house has original radiant heat so this works out well. The exterior will be finished in a matching brick. I will also be adding an 11'X7' Storage/Bathroom on the side of the garage. The front Garage door will be an 8'X8' and a rear 7'X16' Alley door. All of the doors inside the house have Moorish arches, I am using the same style for the main entry door into the garage. I will also be using large windows towards the top of addition to let in Natural light.

So I purchased and downloaded this 3D software from Punch a month ago. I have built the entire house added our landscaping, put in the pavers which will be a part of the garage construction and finally built my garage. This software is VERY simple to use all drag and drop. Everything from plants to cabinets are preloaded into the software. 100's of textures like Pavers, wood, stuco, etc. are available to customize the rendering. The coolest part, once you have the drawn out plans you can use the interactive 3D walk through just like you are walking the property. You can even furnish the interior. You can run the 3D walk through split screen so while you add new objects they will appear. Below you can see what my house actually looks like and the 3D renderings. If you are planning a project like this I highly recommend you invest the $150 in the program. It has helped me visualize everything I wanted. As I built the garage I changed my mind about certain aspects which I would not have done if it were not for seeing what it would actually look like.

If everything goes as planned we should be able to start construction the first part of may, finishing in July.

Punch: http://www.punchsoftware.com/index.htm
SANDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:13 AM   #2
OHEKK

That "punch" looks like a neat program!

My wife and I renovated an old building and after going through 3 architects, we ended up designing it ourself with a program called 3D Home Architect.

Like yours it was easy to use has all the stated features and gives you that abiliity to "walk through". My wife can not look a set of plans and visualize scale and perspective so that was just what we needed.

Your house and plans look awesome!

Congratulations!
OHEKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-21-2005, 08:44 AM   #3
sca037

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHEKK
That "punch" looks like a neat program!

My wife and I renovated an old building and after going through 3 architects, we ended up designing it ourself with a program called 3D Home Architect.

Like yours it was easy to use has all the stated features and gives you that abiliity to "walk through". My wife can not look a set of plans and visualize scale and perspective so that was just what we needed.

Your house and plans look awesome!

Congratulations!
We've also used 3D Home Architect. We first completely designed the remodel of our previous house's kitchen, designed the garage, then eventually designed the house+garage we moved into 2 years ago. It's a great bit of software, especially considering the price!

Good luck with your upcoming build, and keep us in the loop!
Brian
(whose had a 944 in the garage for almost 15 years )
sca037 is offline   Reply With Quote