Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #21
justbummin1

Default Re: Storage of Oil Changing Equipment

trbomax - I assumed you were kidding also but I work for a company that manufactures oil/water separators trench/floor drains and you would not believe how many times I have seen exactly what you said happen. Hopefully the old days of pulling the plug in your gravel driveway are over but some people just dont get it. FYI Autozone and most other parts stores take your used oil for free if you dont want to wait/look for a collection day put on by a city or county.

Rob
justbummin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #22
pearlsnap

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the replies.

Looks like I just need to stop being lazy and wipe everything clean so I can store it somewhere. The only thing left for me to do is find somewhere to dispose of the old oil and filter.

Last edited by pearlsnap; 02-17-2011 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Question Answered in Last Post.
pearlsnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-18-2011, 01:05 AM   #23
Robbo

Don't know how to link to single posts... so you'll have to look through this thread below to find them.

I think post #44 and #216 have some good ideas you could modify to whatever containers you are using.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=39367

Rob
Robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:54 AM   #24
LWW

To save you some trouble: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...7&postcount=44

And my personal favorite: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...&postcount=216

LWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:25 AM   #25
brownbagg

I had one of them harbor freight oil barrel, the red plastic one that sell for $80. it work good for the first couple years, and then the Uv light outside rotted it out. I still use the stem funnel and a five gallon bucket with lid. I alway like putting the old oil in the orignal container, easier to deposes of it
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #26
z28toz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWW View Post
Hey that's my garage!

I'm thinking about cutting the middle of the main pipe and sending the first three bays to a "clean oil" bucket so I can use it for lubricating stuff. The other side I'll keep as is and make it for waste oil only.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #27
some zilch

my detroit diesel powered genset runs great on all the used motor oil i can give it.........
Old 02-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #28
nate379
Banned

As far as I'm concerned a clean shop or garage means no work is being done there. Not a place I would do business at.

Now there is a difference between neat/upkept and a pig sty of course!
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:52 AM   #29
ovilla

I I have an oil catch can that comes with a lid. I don't ever clean it out - just put the lid back on after I'm done with it. Anyway, all of the used oil gets put in 1 gallon milk containers and is taken to Autozone right away since I typically change the oil from all of my cars on the same one weekend (that's 4-5 cars on avg).
ovilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #30
GirlnAgarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlsnap View Post
I just wanted to thank everyone for all the replies.

Looks like I just need to stop being lazy and wipe everything clean so I can store it somewhere.
The only thing left for me to do is find somewhere to dispose of the old oil and filter.

That's pretty much it.

I don't use a drain pan to change my oil (3gal). I use an oil drain valve on the pan and drain straight into the oil empty jugs from the previous oil change. New oil is put in and those jugs go on the shelf for the next oil change. Old full jugs get taken to AutoZone or Oreilly's to their oil dump (free)and the jugs get tossed.

For the oil funnel, if its used, give it a wipe down and spin a papertowel into a point and stick it into the hole. I put it on the shelf with my empty jugs.

GirlnAgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #31
scott37300

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28toz06 View Post
Hey that's my garage!

I'm thinking about cutting the middle of the main pipe and sending the first three bays to a "clean oil" bucket so I can use it for lubricating stuff. The other side I'll keep as is and make it for waste oil only.
Nice setup!!! I like the drain pan storage. I've been wanting to make a PVC setup like yours for a while now. Just don't have the time or wall space right now so will have to do some creative thinking.

I had seen the other guys setup but not yours, thanks for posting.
scott37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #32
night4creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon67 View Post
I change the oil in the race cars and dump it at the recycle bin at the track. The pickups go to the dealer for service. That means I change oil twice a year for a total of 32 quarts and 4 filters. It's not legal in TX to throw the filters in the trash, but there are no local recycle facilities.

I use a big pan and put the waste oil in used antifreeze containers. Used oil also makes a great weed killer and a decent termite/wood ant barrier for your wooden fence.
The Napa store in Sweetwater will take them. They have a crusher and a large oil tank in the back room.
night4creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #33
AMCguy

I've heard several mention they throw the empties away. Is there no recycling in your area?

We have a depot in every shopping mall parking lot around here. They take cardboard, newspaper, mixed paper, glass and every type of plastic including oil bottles and antifreeze jugs. They just ask that you get all the product out first.

I'm not beating up on anybody. It's not your fault if no facilities exist. I'm just wondering what some of you do with your empties?
AMCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #34
some zilch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCguy View Post
I've heard several mention they throw the empties away. Is there no recycling in your area?

We have a depot in every shopping mall parking lot around here. They take cardboard, newspaper, mixed paper, glass and every type of plastic including oil bottles and antifreeze jugs. They just ask that you get all the product out first.

I'm not beating up on anybody. It's not your fault if no facilities exist. I'm just wondering what some of you do with your empties?
i burn mine, there are no recycle facilities in my county, and no available recycle/garbage pickup. i couldnt be bothered to haul recycle-ables around to mall parking lots. does recycling really need to be THAT difficult??
Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #35
e-tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by some zilch View Post
i burn mine, there are no recycle facilities in my county, and no available recycle/garbage pickup. i couldnt be bothered to haul recycle-ables around to mall parking lots. does recycling really need to be THAT difficult??
Eco-terrorist and loving it!!! You go Guy!!!!

To GirlnAGarage- Takes a WOMAN to show us how a little tap on the oil pan can solve 100 issues!! Great idea - did you make it, or buy it?
e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #36
GirlnAgarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-tek View Post
Eco-terrorist and loving it!!! You go Guy!!!!

To GirlnAGarage- Takes a WOMAN to show us how a little tap on the oil pan can solve 100 issues!! Great idea - did you make it, or buy it?

Purchased the drain valve. That particular one is the Fumoto drain valve (part 104-N to fit my Ram). I believe there are several brands and styles available on the market. And before the next guy has to automatically disagree just to be on the opposite side of things, yes there are pros and cons for a valve that extends from the bottom of the oil pan. Each user can make up his or her own mind if it'll work for in their application or not.
GirlnAgarage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, oil, storage