Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
GirlnAgarage

Default Reorganization, it's like a renovation

The Original "Reorganization"

Index of Projects

3-17-2014

• Shelving: Beginning - Post #31
  • Horizontal Wall Stripes: Post #58-59
  • Welders on wheels: Post #77
  • 24"x48" Workbench on wheels: #78
  • 2'x10' Workbench: Post #79-
    - Workbench Top: Post #544
  • 48" Press Brake, 16ga: Post #111-
    - Test Video: Post #228
    - Inside-the-box Jig: Post #226
  • Materials - Drawers & Slides: Post #136-
  • Drawer Folding: #276-
    - 19" Bends 1 & 2
    - 26" Bends 3 & 4 (Inside-the-box) video
    - Drawers Installed: Post #398
    - Drawers Finished: Post #409
  • Delta Homecraft 11-120 Drill Press: Post #350
  • Overhead Materials Rack: Post #615
  • Installing Additional Outlets w/ EMT: Post #622-
  • Sprinkler Box: Post #672
  • Truing Evolution Rage3 CSMS: Post #776
  • Wall Shelf Curtain: Post #800
  • Craftsman Drill Press 103.23130: Post #847
  • We Moved!: Post #890

-------------------------------------------------------------------

We don't have no beer. Just tequila.

What's tequila?

It's like beer.

Is it fattening?

Fattenings?

Forget it. If it's like beer,
we'll have some. Three tequilas.

Sure. Sure, amigos.

¡Three Amigos! (1986)

GirlnAgarage's Garage Reorganization

Ok, so the two terms really aren't the same - reorganization, renovation. Ya, big difference. Our HVAC unit really helped us understand that in this thread HERE. It was $9400 worth of ouch (DH really wanted the heat pump system). It is what it is. We'll make due.

May 25th will mark two years since we closed on this house, our first 'own' home. Prior to we rented as DH was active duty Navy.

Garage Specs
Build year: 1985
Size: 370sqft (18.5’x20’)
18’4”w x 19’10¾”d x 8’3” h
Ceiling: master bedroom & bath, HVAC, guest bath, hallway, one outlet
Front wall (east): entry way door, ½ bath, laundry room, one outlet
North wall: insulated, water pipes, interior & exterior wall
South wall: non-insulated
Garage door (west): non-insulated
Floor: cement slab

As you can see the place really needs to be spruced up. There's crap everywhere, shelves are mismatched and there's just no good flow. It's your normal garage. It is used as the primary pass through to the house. I do a variety of projects here such as woodwork, metalwork, vehicle maintenance, stationary bike workouts and general ‘fixin’ stuff’. It also serves as the only home storage area. The garage could use more outlets and more light. It was going to get new drywall and insulation but that part was chopped for cost. My husband also wants to park his car in here. Oh boy. Let's get started.

(Disclaimer: This thread is to chronicle the work, not to show off accumulated display quality stuff. It will be boring and long-winded. It will take me forever as I'm the one doing the work when I have time in my real life of a self-employed, thirty-something married gal running a house.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garage before.jpg (80.3 KB, 1936 views)
File Type: jpg garage dimension.jpg (62.1 KB, 1778 views)
File Type: jpg Garage before 2.jpg (75.4 KB, 1513 views)
File Type: jpg Garage before 3.jpg (89.3 KB, 1614 views)

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation

Last edited by GirlnAgarage; 03-17-2014 at 08:23 AM. Reason: changed picture links
Old 04-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
GirlnAgarage

Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

This is what I'm planning for the front shelves

Sunday, April 10

The first step is to get the sprinkler control box off the front wall. It and its PVC tubing take up both front walls. Doing so is a matter of unscrewing the wire terminals for each zone, then unscrewing the box from the wall, then pulling apart the ¾” PVC that houses the 18’ of wiring. When that was done I temporarily mounted the box on the side wall, rolled up the extra wire and will run the system using an extension cord. Not a big deal for now. I also moved the garage door opener buttons from the wall to the door trim. When you've lived with that crappy PVC for as long as we have we can see a difference already.

Cost: $0

Behind the welder you can see the patch covering where the cat door use to be. I’ve already patched the brickwork on the outside. Just need to mud the joints and paint the wall. Don't ask about that gap on the right

After pulling that stuff down I hopped online and asked why paint flakes off walls HERE. Then I took a scraper to the peeling sections. Then I made a hole and pulled a peek patch. Finding no evidence of moisture, old or critters, I had a patch to repair now.

Wednesday, April 13

With two other patches in the garage that needed the same attention I hit Lowes for joint compound, joint webbing and some new paint.

Cost: $72
I bought a $20 Home Wiring book in addition to supplies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shelf plans.jpg (109.8 KB, 879 views)
File Type: jpg Relocate sprinkler box.jpg (55.4 KB, 850 views)
File Type: jpg patched hole.jpg (73.1 KB, 693 views)

Last edited by GirlnAgarage; 09-26-2011 at 09:22 AM. Reason: changed pic links
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
GirlnAgarage

Friday, April 15

Pulled all the stuff off the front walls, wiped them down and painted them with a couple layers of Kilz Original. Finally got a nice uniform wall and they’re ready for shelves. I also put a layer on the trim around the door. I’m so sick of the ugly brown.

Saturday, April 16

After letting the front wall paint and door trim set overnight I gave it a few layers of some Behr latex green color we had left from painting the den. I figured what the heck. It is a nice change. I also gave the side wall by the cat door it’s coat of white paint. It is awesome to have that ugly thing gone. Though I swear I can still see it through the paint. Guess the horror is etched in my mind.

While I let the paint dry I ran to Lowes to get the lumber for the shelves. With a head of steam I cut twenty 8’ 2x4s to size.

Cost: $79

- 20 2x4x8'
- 5lb 3.5" deck screws
- 1lb box 1 5/8" deck screws
- couple paint rollers

From there I built the first four shelves, marked the walls and got them just about up. It was coming up on 10pm and I was running out of steam. That top shelf is a doozie. It’s time for a shower and bed. Hopefully finish the shelves tomorrow and maybe start the paint. I should have enough green paint left to do the shelves.

Sorry about the blur on some pics. I had the camera settings wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green door trim.jpg (73.8 KB, 517 views)
File Type: jpg shelves first part.jpg (48.4 KB, 703 views)

Last edited by GirlnAgarage; 09-26-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: changed pic links
Old 04-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
trbomax

Slightly off-topic,but tell us about your scooter.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
rickairmedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlnAgarage View Post
We don't have no beer. Just tequila.

What's tequila?

It's like beer.

Is it fattening?

Fattenings?

Forget it. If it's like beer,
we'll have some. Three tequilas.

Sure. Sure, amigos.

¡Three Amigos! (1986)

GirlnAgarage's Garage Reorganization

Ok, so the two terms really aren't the same - reorganization, renovation. Ya, big difference. Our HVAC unit really helped us understand that in this thread

HERE.

It was $9400 worth of ouch (DH really wanted the heat pump system). It is what it is. We'll make due.

May 25th will mark two years since we closed on this house, our first 'own' home. Prior to we rented as DH was active duty Navy.

Specs
Build year: 1985
Size: 370sqft (18.5’x20’)
18’4”w x 19’10¾”d x 8’3” h
Ceiling: master bedroom & bath, HVAC, guest bath, hallway, one outlet
Front wall (east): entry way door, ½ bath, laundry room, one outlet
North wall: insulated, water pipes, interior & exterior wall
South wall: non-insulated
Garage door (west): non-insulated
Floor: cement slab

As you can see the place really needs to be spruced up. There's crap everywhere, shelves are mismatched and there's just no good flow. It's your normal garage. It is used as the primary pass through to the house. I do a variety of projects here such as woodwork, metalwork, vehicle maintenance, stationary bike workouts and general ‘fixin’ stuff’. It also serves as the only home storage area. The garage could use more outlets and more light. It was going to get new drywall and insulation but that part was chopped for cost. My husband also wants to park his car in here. Oh boy. Let's get started.

(Disclaimer: This thread is to chronicle the work, not to show off accumulated display quality stuff. It will be boring and long-winded. It will take me forever as I'm the one doing the work when I have time in my real life of a self-employed, thirty-something married gal running a house.)

Hi GirlinAgarage . I think you figured out the picture posting thing by the second post in this thread . Just incase though you can see the differance here between my quote and your original post . The trick to this is when you get done writing before placing an image tag hit the enter button a couple of times and then again hit it once or twice between image tags . This will keep your post going up and down and pictures lined up one ontop of another instead of them going sideways . Looks like a fun project and not to terribly out of shape to start with . Looking forward to seeing how it turns out .

Rick

Last edited by rickairmedic; 04-17-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
MadMark

what software are you using? I like the 3d of the car that shows how much space it occupies

"What is scary is what the bottom cushion looks like......especially after you eat mexican food...."
Ddawg16
Old 04-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
GirlnAgarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Slightly off-topic,but tell us about your scooter.

2001 (IIRC) Kawasaki Vulcan 750...cobra pipes (loud as heck) and a jet kit...drag bars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickairmedic View Post
Hi GirlinAgarage . I think you figured out the picture posting thing by the second post in this thread . Just incase though you can see the differance here between my quote and your original post . The trick to this is when you get done writing before placing an image tag hit the enter button a couple of times and then again hit it once or twice between image tags . This will keep your post going up and down and pictures lined up one ontop of another instead of them going sideways . Looks like a fun project and not to terribly out of shape to start with . Looking forward to seeing how it turns out .

Rick
Thanks Rick I think I had the pics tagged centered. And I'm not sizing them down as much as I probably should so they're still kinda big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMark View Post
what software are you using? I like the 3d of the car that shows how much space it occupies

Google Sketchup. Yup the car is for reference to be certain it'll fit. What I did was take the overall dimensions of the car (minus mirrors) and made a box. Then I downloaded an online version of the car's rendering then scaled it to fit in my box. If you look close there's a rectangle on the garage floor near the door. That's my reference/drag point for the corner of the car's box. Makes moving in and out of the garage in the sketch much easier

Old 04-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
rickairmedic

Yep I removed all the center tags as well in my QUOTE . I will say the picture sizes themselves are fine I am old and my eyes dont work like they used to . I need to get back to work on my garage " been organising" for 4 or 5 years now and I think its almost as bad today as when I first started well ok its not that bad but its not done yet either .

Rick
Old 04-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
GirlnAgarage

Quote:
Yep I removed all the center tags as well in my QUOTE . I will say the picture sizes themselves are fine I am old and my eyes dont work like they used to . I need to get back to work on my garage " been organising" for 4 or 5 years now and I think its almost as bad today as when I first started well ok its not that bad but its not done yet either .

Rick
Lol

Cool My laptop screen is a little smaller than my last one and I've got the setting on a high resolution. So, I'm not certain what my stuff looks like on someone else's screen.

Well I better get back to work. I came in for a bite to eat. Got the second set of shelves together and my lines drawn. Just gotta hang them and I can lay some paint if I'm feeling up to it.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
archimedes

hi,

okey, dokey

so here goes my formula --- measure your junk.
How do you measure? - with tape measure, n'book & pen go to your local WalMart.
find the Sterilite (plastic storage bins) aisle. there are 5 basic
shapes & your WMT may not stock sizes as my store. Pick out the shapes
you think will hold the organized & miscellaneous junk you own. now measure
them. write down all of the dimensions (with lids affixed) including inner
depth. go home & start organizing your junk into these dimensions.
Why am I doing this? (u may ask) - quick story . . . i owned a pretty serious hobbyist
machine shop (serious & hobbyist is not an oxymoron phrase). i had all
of my junk nicely organized on shelving 32" from the ceiling & 28" from the
perimeter wall -- basically a perimeter bunkbed hung from the ceiling. my buddy came over
one day & was bored. we talked about my intent to design & build a
geodesic dome (the Fuller variety). on the sly my aspiring engineer minded
friend got a pad & a calculator from my desk. while i am deep into
a machining project he quietly calculated the total square feet of my in use
storage (the bunkbed stuff). 35 minutes later my geodesic dome plan
got nixed ---- why? because my raised bunkbed storage was in
sqare footage equal to my on floor sqare footage. so no geodesic dome for me.

finally, i can't say enough about the Sterilite system for organizing. its
quick, its consistent & its fool-proof. once the dimensions are established
the constructor can easily design a shelving system to meet the objectives
for each bin & the summation for all of the bins. yes, you will say to me --
we are broke! i know. its painful. but the long run will outlive your
emphasis on the short run cost structure.
just have faith . . . .
Old 04-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
GirlnAgarage

Sunday, April 17

Finished putting up the shelves. The top shelf of each was tough. I decided to call it a day. I'm tired. Next up is to mask off the walls to paint. After paint I'll lay the 1/2" plywood, then transfer over items to start clearing off the plastic shelves and side walls.

I'm realizing this reorganizing isn't spectacular or flashy, but it still has to be done to have a fresh look without spending a ton of money. It's more like spending a ton of elbow grease.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shelves built.jpg (76.2 KB, 1343 views)

Last edited by GirlnAgarage; 09-26-2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: changed pic links
Old 04-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
rickairmedic

The shelves look good and even better when you get a little extra money ahead it wont be hard to take some plywood and close them in and put doors on them to hide all the stuff inside .

Rick
Old 04-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
JC23

You gonna paint all that shelving? That will keep mold at bay. If you still have some Kilz lefy, that could work.

Lookin' good so far.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #14
Submarine_Sailor

You're doing good, and fear not.... It has been my experience that reorganization is as good as remodeling. I did the same thing about 6 months ago and my garage is much more comfortable and user friendly since. Keep up the good work and keep it coming.....subscribed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNA BILL View Post
I got my wife a toaster and a dildo. If she don't like the toaster, she can go f*** herself.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
slimpickins

Nice start! You can never have too much shelf space!
Old 04-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #16
GirlnAgarage

Quote:
The shelves look good and even better when you get a little extra money ahead it wont be hard to take some plywood and close them in and put doors on them to hide all the stuff inside .

Rick

Thanks Rick. I'm keeping the options open about the doors. I do like that I can hide everything but they would make getting in there difficult if the car is in. Nothing major, just a consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC23 View Post
You gonna paint all that shelving? That will keep mold at bay. If you still have some Kilz lefy, that could work.

Lookin' good so far.
Thank you.

I have pretty much a whole gallon of Kilz left. But I don't have a mold problem so I'm not thinking I need to use it on the shelves. I'm planning the green Behr latex.

I will be putting the Kilz on the sidewalls again once I clear out the plastic shelves. I'm going to reinforce the current drywall with additional screws since its pulling away from the studs due to the use of nails. So, I'll have some screw heads to patch. Plus some paint peeling areas to fix.

We're not destitute by any means, but I'm going to try to not buy more supplies than I have to doing any extras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarine_Sailor View Post
You're doing good, and fear not.... It has been my experience that reorganization is as good as remodeling. I did the same thing about 6 months ago and my garage is much more comfortable and user friendly since. Keep up the good work and keep it coming.....subscribed.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to more user friendly. What we have isn't bad and I've done a lot in there. Just one of those 'would be nice if' kinda things. I appreciate the encouragement

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimpickins View Post
Nice start! You can never have too much shelf space!
Agreed!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #17
eurojetta

I had a similar access issue for some shelves I built and ended up using coated canvas drop sheets intended for painting as curtains to keep stuff hidden and reduce dust build up. They've worked great and being coated they are somewhat stiff and don't move around too much.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #18
GirlnAgarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurojetta View Post
I had a similar access issue for some shelves I built and ended up using coated canvas drop sheets intended for painting as curtains to keep stuff hidden and reduce dust build up. They've worked great and being coated they are somewhat stiff and don't move around too much.

I'm so glad you mentioned that. I was seriously considering curtains but didn't want to say it

Any pics of your setup?

Old 04-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #19
usmc_noma

Looking good so far. You do one hell of job in sketchup too. How long did it take to do all that.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #20
GirlnAgarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_noma View Post
Looking good so far. You do one hell of job in sketchup too. How long did it take to do all that.
Thanks

Hard to say how long I've spent on the garage drawings. I go back and doodle when I get an idea. Before I got started I took a couple of dedicated days to learn sketch up with the tutorials. It was painstakingly slow. Since doing that I can work up a sketch fairly quick.

To draw up a room I take the laptopto where I'm measuring and input everything on the spot. Keeps me from having to take a note pad and write down everything twice.

Closed Thread