Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #21
GirlnAgarage

Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

Monday, April 18

Painted the shelves. I had enough paint to do the inside of the boards but I decided to leave them bare. I'll be leaving the top plywood bare and I kind of like the color contrast between the dark green, the bare wood and the white walls. I'm suspecting I'll do my workbench with this green when that time comes.

Well, doesn't look like much yet until I can start clearing the floor. I'm gonna let the paint dry while I figure out how much plywood I need.

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation

Last edited by GirlnAgarage; 09-26-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: changed pic links
Old 04-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #22
onething

You are doing an excellent job! Keep it up.

Close in the ends of the shelf units with plywood and use old school roller shades. If you want to get fancy, you can even put facer boards on your upright 2x4's to keep them from flapping in the breeze when the garage door is open
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1933.jpg (133.7 KB, 1018 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1934.JPG (73.1 KB, 705 views)

Last edited by onething; 04-18-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #23
Brad54

It was a pain in the ass, but I painted all my shelf board white latex... it seals the wood and keeps them from absorbing grease and oil (I store a lot of car parts), but it also reflects light making the back wall of the shop seem a little brighter.

I painted both sides of my shelves in Florida (top and underside), and it made a really big difference.

Just something to consider.

Project is looking really good!

-Brad

Parting out Reed and Columbia vises
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139072
Old 04-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #24
GirlnAgarage

April 18...a little later...

I went out and painted the rest. I couldn't stand it

I'm gonna go grill something. Time for supper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg painted shelves 3.jpg (51.3 KB, 564 views)

Last edited by GirlnAgarage; 09-26-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: changed pic links
Old 04-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #25
Alchymist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlnAgarage View Post

May 25th will mark two years since we closed on this house, our first 'own' home. Prior to we rented as DH was active duty Navy.

[/I]
Give my thanks to DH for his service, and my thanks to you for putting up with it!
Old 04-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #26
onething

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchymist View Post
Give my thanks to DH for his service, and my thanks to you for putting up with it!
What he said
Old 04-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #27
GirlnAgarage

Thanks guys for the ideas!

I will also pass on the message to DH. I'm sure he will appreciate it!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #28
SpeedCoach

Looks good! Keep the updates coming.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #29
Hogan646

Great simple design. Looking forward to seeing more updates.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #30
GirlnAgarage

Tuesday, April 19

Added up the plywood and I figure on four 4x8' sheets to get my eight 20"x70" shelves. While I was reviewing the options (and reading about sagging) I felt I better add a center support. The 70" span is wide. I shoulda built those in when I framed the shelf but I figured the 20" width wouldn't have me worry. I always end up second guessing myself But, better be safe than sorry...man I'm a slow DIYer. I had enough leftovers from the original lumber plus a few pieces from a previous project to get the cross supports together. I was crawling around on those shelves like a monkey in a jungle gym. I figured I'd fall off for good measure but that never materialized.

I meant to go get the plywood but eh, maybe tomorrow. I had some other stuff to take care of. But the sooner I get the plywood cut and installed the sooner I can move stuff!

Look. Now I have more stuff to paint.

Last edited by GirlnAgarage; 09-26-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: changed pic links
Old 04-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #31
GirlnAgarage

Wednesday, April 20

Finally feels like some progress.

Went to Lowes and picked out four 19/32" 4x8' plywood sheets. The guy there said he could rip cut the lengths I needed so I said 'let's do it' as it would save me some time and work. I had the guy cut each whole sheet to 70", then rip cut two 20"s. That left me with two 8x70"s (no clue what I'll use those for) and four good sized 26x48" which will be good tops for the workbench(s?) I'll build later.

Cost $62

I screwed the tops and got started moving some things over. Only the stuff I knew was staying. Now is a good time to sort crap from the shelves and throw out, sell or donate stuff we don't need. Heck, I'm even gonna sell the shelves

Oh six boxes of Christmas stuff. MIL has got to stop sending us decorations she goes crazy buying at those after Christmas sales
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shelf boards.jpg (90.1 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg testing shelves.jpg (84.3 KB, 695 views)

Last edited by GirlnAgarage; 09-26-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: changed pic links
Old 04-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #32
BEAVO

great job im going to build some shelfs as well looks like you still have lots of room left on them shelves.but im sure that wont last long never does
Old 04-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #33
marty_p

Good 4 u! And I love the paint on them too!
> 2008 Kia Rondo LX (princess #1)
Old 04-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #34
Kevin54

As far as doors go, if you decide to, make the doors where they are bypass doors instead of opening out. The shelves turned out great. Looks like it is really going to open up the garage floor space now.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:15 AM   #35
IMXCITD

Lookin good! Way to take the bull by the horns and do it yourself!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #36
GirlnAgarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAVO View Post
great job im going to build some shelfs as well looks like you still have lots of room left on them shelves.but im sure that wont last long never does
Thanks! And that's what I'm afraid off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_p View Post
Good 4 u! And I love the paint on them too!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin54 View Post
As far as doors go, if you decide to, make the doors where they are bypass doors instead of opening out. The shelves turned out great. Looks like it is really going to open up the garage floor space now.

I hadn't thought of bypass doors - thanks You're right, it really does open up floor space. I've got 3 of the 4 floor shelves cleared, the last being one that holds yard stuff. I'm holding onto the shelves until I get the shed built. Might need one or two of them in there.

Things are moving along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMXCITD View Post
Lookin good! Way to take the bull by the horns and do it yourself!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #37
petee_c

looks good.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #38
GirlnAgarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee_c View Post
looks good.
Thanks petee

Feels like it has been forever since I had a chance to work on this. The last few weeks I've been burning $4/gal diesel across the state and it isn't over yet. I'll head out next week to run a team marathon on the weekend. I sure hope it rains, otherwise it'll be killer hot. Should be the last run (pun intended) for a while, thank goodness.

Before this last trip out I got one side of the garage cleared out and DH did get his car in. "Yay, it fits - but you don't get to park inside until your motorcycle is out. That's still my half buddy".

I'll be working my way down the side walls and getting the sprinkler box set once and for all. I'm also debating a color scheme.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg half cleared.jpg (92.0 KB, 732 views)

Last edited by GirlnAgarage; 09-26-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #39
W650Mike

Look’n good!

Some ideas:

Extension ladders are needed but seldom used. Hang it from the ceiling; hang the step ladder on the wall under the ext. ladder – for convenience when you need to get the ext.

Garage sale the rest of the sagging plastic shelving and build more of the wooden units. They look like crap next to your construction. Great job on them BTW.

Hang the mower on the wall (spark plug up) high enough to keep from bumping your head. Or…on your next shelving module, build the bottom shelf high enough for the mower to fit under with the handle folded. Mowers are a bitch to store and consume considerable floor space.

Cabinets on the side walls against the ceiling would take the seldom used (Christmas stuff etc.) items out of your way and they don’t consume floor space (build them high enough so you don’t bump your head.)

I don’t know if we’re neighbors or not. I’m in Eastland – but Texas is a pretty big country!
Old 05-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #40
GirlnAgarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by W650Mike View Post
Lookn good!

Some ideas:

Extension ladders are needed but seldom used. Hang it from the ceiling; hang the step ladder on the wall under the ext. ladder for convenience when you need to get the ext.

Garage sale the rest of the sagging plastic shelving and build more of the wooden units. They look like crap next to your construction. Great job on them BTW.

Hang the mower on the wall (spark plug up) high enough to keep from bumping your head. Oron your next shelving module, build the bottom shelf high enough for the mower to fit under with the handle folded. Mowers are a bitch to store and consume considerable floor space.

Cabinets on the side walls against the ceiling would take the seldom used (Christmas stuff etc.) items out of your way and they dont consume floor space (build them high enough so you dont bump your head.)

I dont know if were neighbors or not. Im in Eastland but Texas is a pretty big country!

Thanks Mike for the ideas. We are neighbors. You're only an hour or so away. I'm in Grapevine. Isn't it funny that here in TX we count distance by hours and one is close???

I will be heeding that advice on the ladders. Ladders are great to have when you need them, but the rest of the time they can be cumbersome to move and store in smaller spaces.

For the lawn equipment I'll be building a shed in the back yard. I'm excited at the prospect of clearing some more room. But the fruits of that labor are farther away until I get the shed built. When I don't have time I have the energy. When I have the energy I don't have time.

I'm trying to coincide the shed build with this garage work so I can shuffle stuff around as I go. It is the shuffling of stuff that takes the energy right out.

Oh, the last thing I'm thinking I'll do is a nice long workbench with some storage underneath. I'll put that on that left side where the water heater nook creates that extra 30" width on that side of the garage. It seems it would fit better there. Plus my husband can park nose in on the right side. He's not very good at backing up vehicles especially to park

Closed Thread