Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #41
WhiteTrash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 156
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

I wouldn't hang a mower on the wall unless it was electric. They don't tend to like it much. But you can loosen the bolts securing the handle and fold it over on itself. Is it easier to store under things.
Over head cabinets on the side walls are great ways to add additional storage, but I see overhead space is limited. You can run them between the back wall and the garage door rails. They also provide a convenient place to hang a light over a workbench or frame a pegboard backing above the workbench.
Personally, I would move the decorations into the attic. I am a firm believer that the only things that belong in a garage are things used in the garage. The scrap plywood could be used to make a flooring over the joists up there. It would also give you twice a year to go into the attic and checking things up there. Making sure the insulation is adequate and no critters have moved in. While you are up there, you could drop a a few more outlets for use in the garage. Place one for the sprinkler system and a few on the wall for your workbench.
When do you plan on starting the shed? Also, always go bigger than you think you will need. It will always get used and appreciated. I don't know anyone who ever said they wish they built a smaller shed, but I hear it the other way around.
And it seems we are practically neighbors as well. I am down in the Waxahachie area. If you find that you need help with anything, let me know.
And that is a tough choice between the bike and the car in the garage. Ultimately, I would choose the bike.
WhiteTrash is offline  
Old 05-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #42
GirlnAgarage
Senior Member
 
GirlnAgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,630
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTrash View Post
I wouldn't hang a mower on the wall unless it was electric. They don't tend to like it much. But you can loosen the bolts securing the handle and fold it over on itself. Is it easier to store under things.
Over head cabinets on the side walls are great ways to add additional storage, but I see overhead space is limited. You can run them between the back wall and the garage door rails. They also provide a convenient place to hang a light over a workbench or frame a pegboard backing above the workbench.
Personally, I would move the decorations into the attic. I am a firm believer that the only things that belong in a garage are things used in the garage. The scrap plywood could be used to make a flooring over the joists up there. It would also give you twice a year to go into the attic and checking things up there. Making sure the insulation is adequate and no critters have moved in. While you are up there, you could drop a a few more outlets for use in the garage. Place one for the sprinkler system and a few on the wall for your workbench.
When do you plan on starting the shed? Also, always go bigger than you think you will need. It will always get used and appreciated. I don't know anyone who ever said they wish they built a smaller shed, but I hear it the other way around.
And it seems we are practically neighbors as well. I am down in the Waxahachie area. If you find that you need help with anything, let me know.
And that is a tough choice between the bike and the car in the garage. Ultimately, I would choose the bike.

I'm definitely looking at the attic to get those seasonal boxes out of the garage. The problem we have is the attic is so small that it's virtually unusable for storage. We also just had more insulation blown in. I read on another thread that it's not a good idea to compress that stuff as it pretty much makes it useless. DH said they made it a foot deep. So I wouldn't be able to lay down plywood sheets if that's the case. I still need to have a look again (cumbersome as I have to drag the ladder upstairs). There might be a way to get at least a couple larger boxes out of the way.

I want to start the shed in the next couple weeks before it really starts getting hot. Since I'm on the wall phase of the reorganization it would be nice to get the rest of that yard stuff out so I don't have to keep pushing it around the garage. I need to decide on how I want to build it and which piece of the yard. I have two spots in mind along the same wall. I also have to cap a couple sprinkler heads.

I also would have chosen the bike to be in the garage. I don't blame DH though, he loves his car and is not that fond of this bike. He doesn't ride it much and is wanting to sell it. He wants an ST2 again. We're just bored of the riding here though. I haven't even gotten another bike for myself. We came in from Japan where we were on mountain roads in 20 min from the house. Here though, it just ain't the same

Ah well, we'll see. The M stays on the license and we can jump back in when we feel like it
__________________
I do all my own stunts

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation
GirlnAgarage is offline  
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #43
WhiteTrash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 156
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

I cruise a few back roads around here. Able to make a few hour trip out of it with good twistys. And that leads me back to the highway I live off of and can head straight back at a faster pace.

I was going to mention trying to get the shed up before the heat comes.

Do you not have a pull down ladder for the attic? I could see how that could make it a bit more difficult.
WhiteTrash is offline  
Old 05-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #44
GirlnAgarage
Senior Member
 
GirlnAgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,630
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTrash View Post
I cruise a few back roads around here. Able to make a few hour trip out of it with good twistys. And that leads me back to the highway I live off of and can head straight back at a faster pace.

I was going to mention trying to get the shed up before the heat comes.

Do you not have a pull down ladder for the attic? I could see how that could make it a bit more difficult.

Our attic does not have a pull down ladder. The access is located in the upstairs hallway and it is turned the long ways across the short width of the hallway. They were short on head work when they built that. We drag out 6' folding ladder up there when have to get up there (service only up to this point).
__________________
I do all my own stunts

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation
GirlnAgarage is offline  
Old 05-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #45
GirlnAgarage
Senior Member
 
GirlnAgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,630
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

Today I grabbed the stud finder, pencil, level and got to work finding studs. I screwed the dry wall on the lower half of both walls to secure it better. Those nails they use are terrible for the long term hanging drywall. In most sections the screw snugged the drywall back down to the studs that the nails popped out of the surface. Many ~1/8th", some even a 1/4".

Really I should have torn down all the drywall so I could insulate but that's not in the cards now. Maybe sometime when a little extra $ is around I'll rent the machine and blow some stuff in the wall cavities. Or rip it all down and spray. Still need to screw the upper half. Those are a hard reach for me applying enough pressure to the drill & screw so the had doesn't spin. Working with one hand sucks sometimes.



I did open a section near the water pipe. My stud finder was going crazy and I had to figure it out. This is what I found.




Whoever worked on this left their Slice bottle. It's glass its so old. I also found that the exterior walls are not insulated.

What you see there is the north wall. Before I close this up should I be thinking about insulation?



Some how during the day I managed to break the garage door. The opener doesn't work. The sights are aligned everything is on track. But the thing just doesn't want to work. Ehhh...

I'm going to eat some dinner. But glad to be making a little more progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screw drywall.jpg (63.6 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg water pipe.jpg (62.3 KB, 536 views)
File Type: jpg north drywall.jpg (126.5 KB, 236 views)
__________________
I do all my own stunts

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation

Last edited by GirlnAgarage; 09-26-2011 at 11:31 AM.
GirlnAgarage is offline  
Old 05-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #46
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator
 
Jack Olsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,920
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

THAT'S where I left my Slice!

If it's the beam sensor, try unplugging the unit and plugging it back in. Then start checking connections at the sensors and the main unit, then start checking the thin wire that runs to the sensors.
Jack Olsen is offline  
Old 05-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #47
Steve V.
Senior Member
 
Steve V.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 264
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

Also make sure you wipe the lenses on the sensors. Ask me how I know this, go ahead, ask.

Steve
__________________
Professionals are people who can do their job when they donít feel like it. Amateurs are people who canít do their job when they do feel like it.
Steve V. is offline  
Old 05-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #48
GirlnAgarage
Senior Member
 
GirlnAgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,630
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
THAT'S where I left my Slice!

If it's the beam sensor, try unplugging the unit and plugging it back in. Then start checking connections at the sensors and the main unit, then start checking the thin wire that runs to the sensors.

Some poor guy was thirsty all day long cause he lost track of his soda

I tried unplugging the unit but that didn't seem to make a difference. I did get the door to slowly close if I held down the button, but when it got to the sensor level it would bounce back up again. If I press the button too any times the door completely stops responding, not even a click from the motor that it's trying. It reminds me of cranking a car so many times the battery starts wearing down and eventually quits.

For the night we released the arm from the track and shut it manually.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve V. View Post
Also make sure you wipe the lenses on the sensors. Ask me how I know this, go ahead, ask.

Steve
Steve, how do you know to wipe the lenses?? I"ll take a good cloth and cleaner to them in the morning. I wiped them but it was with my dirty fingers. Probably smudged them worse.


I appreciate the suggestions. If it doesn't work in the morning with those troubleshoots I'll go online and start searching.
__________________
I do all my own stunts

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation
GirlnAgarage is offline  
Old 05-16-2011, 02:36 AM   #49
slimpickins
Senior Member
 
slimpickins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 198
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve V. View Post
Also make sure you wipe the lenses on the sensors. Ask me how I know this, go ahead, ask.

Steve
Nice avatar Steve V...

Did you get the door working? If its not an "eye" problem, did you bump something that made it stop working?
__________________
Just getting started. Never finished.
My garage thread - 2 garages and a shop
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=99313
slimpickins is offline  
Old 05-16-2011, 07:22 AM   #50
GirlnAgarage
Senior Member
 
GirlnAgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,630
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimpickins View Post
Nice avatar Steve V...

Did you get the door working? If its not an "eye" problem, did you bump something that made it stop working?

Having some coffee now but I'll be out there in a while. I did bump the sensor when I was putting in the first column of screws on the drywall at the very front of the garage. I was kneeling/squatting right beside/front of it. I had the door open all day long and was in and out as I scooted items off the wall. I attempted to close it for the evening and that's when I discovered the problem. The only work I did in the garage was put screws in drywall. I'm scratching my head how I broke the door by doing that
__________________
I do all my own stunts

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation

Last edited by GirlnAgarage; 05-16-2011 at 07:27 AM.
GirlnAgarage is offline  
Old 05-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #51
GirlnAgarage
Senior Member
 
GirlnAgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,630
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

Went out and sprayed the sensors with windex and cleaned them off. That helped. I guess all the dust from sanding the repaired holes blocked vision. The sensors connected. So I hooked up the arm and pressed the door button. The door twitched then stopped. I noticed the connectors broke connectivity (from the indicator lights). I went down and adjusted the sensors, tried again and it worked. I'm thinking I knocked one sensor enough yesterday that any movement of the door would move the sensors out of alignment so it would quit.

I appreciate the help on this guys. Glad it was just the sensor alignment and not the unit. I'm headed outside to finish up the walls and start patching screw heads.
__________________
I do all my own stunts

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation
GirlnAgarage is offline  
Old 05-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #52
slimpickins
Senior Member
 
slimpickins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 198
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlnAgarage View Post
I'm scratching my head how I broke the door by doing that
As others have said, those things can be a pain the butt when they're not working right. Glad you got it working!
__________________
Just getting started. Never finished.
My garage thread - 2 garages and a shop
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=99313
slimpickins is offline  
Old 05-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #53
horizontallyopposed
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 107
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlnAgarage View Post
Went out and sprayed the sensors with windex and cleaned them off. That helped. I guess all the dust from sanding the repaired holes blocked vision. The sensors connected. So I hooked up the arm and pressed the door button. The door twitched then stopped. I noticed the connectors broke connectivity (from the indicator lights). I went down and adjusted the sensors, tried again and it worked. I'm thinking I knocked one sensor enough yesterday that any movement of the door would move the sensors out of alignment so it would quit.
Our garage door opener (a Hormann) - the sensors are very sensitive to direct sunlight (love those blue Alberta skies). There is a certain time in the day when the sun is basically shining full bore right into one sensor. So it will "twitch then stop" and you either have to go stand outside and make a shadow over the sensor and close it, or put something that casts a shadow. Such a stupid system.

-Keith
Calgary, AB
horizontallyopposed is offline  
Old 05-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #54
slimpickins
Senior Member
 
slimpickins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 198
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

It just occurred to me. You should check out wBrian63's solution to these sensors. The post is on page 5 of his thread. You can put your woodworking skills to further use:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...t=60859&page=5

__________________
Just getting started. Never finished.
My garage thread - 2 garages and a shop
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=99313
slimpickins is offline  
Old 05-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #55
GirlnAgarage
Senior Member
 
GirlnAgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,630
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimpickins View Post
It just occurred to me. You should check out wBrian63's solution to these sensors. The post is on page 5 of his thread. You can put your woodworking skills to further use:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...t=60859&page=5


Excellent - thank you. Those sensor protectors would certainly keep them in place
__________________
I do all my own stunts

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation
GirlnAgarage is offline  
Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #56
GirlnAgarage
Senior Member
 
GirlnAgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,630
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

Today I sanded the compound spots I put over the screw heads. I also scraped the flaky paint on the north wall. Should have reversed the two processes but I wasn't thinking.


Do I want to know why the drywall looks like this?

I'm starting to think I am spinning my wheels.
__________________
I do all my own stunts

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation

Last edited by GirlnAgarage; 09-26-2011 at 10:18 AM.
GirlnAgarage is offline  
Old 07-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #57
GirlnAgarage
Senior Member
 
GirlnAgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,630
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

After a good long break I did a little work today. I need my garage back. Nothing too strenuous today, just the white coats of paint. Previously I repaired holes and prepped the walls. I started to get a little burnt out working in there. I needed to get outside. Working in the garage only is very narrow scoped. Also the timing is perfect for my west facing garage and 100* weather.

Cost $70


Anyway, the paint I grabbed was some Valspar exterior latex semigloss. I was impressed at the thickness and consistency of the paint. It went on real easy and clean up was a cinch. For the rest I plan on dark green on the bottom (that matches the shelves) and a black dividing strip. Not 100% decided but pretty close. No pics today because it's nothing spectacular. Maybe next time. Still gotta build that shed and start clearing the floor.

Time for chinese takeout and a cold beer. Until next time.
__________________
I do all my own stunts

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation

Last edited by GirlnAgarage; 08-16-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Add cost
GirlnAgarage is offline  
Old 07-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #58
GirlnAgarage
Senior Member
 
GirlnAgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,630
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

Got the stripes on the wall. I went with a green on green. Who'd have thought, fashion people are right about horizontal stripes making things look wide They actually do the garage walls some good. Since on my walls you can see a lot of the imperfections, mainly the big 48" drywall seam running door to front wall from the POs crappy mud job, the stripes attract the attention now.

I'm a bit rashed, in three small areas the blasted paint came off when I pulled the tape. After I busted butt scraping the paint until it wouldn't scrape anymore. Next time I think I'll just put sheets of contact paper on the walls and peel it off. Sorta give the walls a Brazilian wax job.

Getting a cold beverage now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quickshot of stripes.jpg (108.9 KB, 407 views)
__________________
I do all my own stunts

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation

Last edited by GirlnAgarage; 09-26-2011 at 10:20 AM.
GirlnAgarage is offline  
Old 07-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #59
GirlnAgarage
Senior Member
 
GirlnAgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,630
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

I rearranged junk again. Got the sprinkler box mounted on the wall and trimmed the wires from like 15' to 3'. Still need to put the away in a loom or tube. I also pulled my work bench and got it painted.

Here's where I'm at:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Green stripe1.jpg (81.8 KB, 523 views)
File Type: jpg Green stripe3.jpg (71.4 KB, 524 views)
__________________
I do all my own stunts

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation

Last edited by GirlnAgarage; 09-26-2011 at 10:22 AM.
GirlnAgarage is offline  
Old 07-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #60
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator
 
Jack Olsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,920
Default Re: Reorganization, it's like a renovation.

The bench looks great. I like the stripe, too.
Jack Olsen is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 PM.